• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zombi - Pure Survival Horror is coming to PS4, Xbox One and PC [ZombiU Port]

Mael

It's about nothing.

There's is nothing in ZombiU that has to rely on the gamepad to make it work. Games have been doing the same formula as ZombiU, and better, for decades without two screens. System Shock 2 did the exact same thing in 1999 for fucks sake (including the spawn system...), what makes you think these designers can't make it work in 2015?

It's similar to Virtua Cop,
it can work without the gun but it's quite clear that it's really not the same thing.
It's like these DS games designed for the 2 screens of the handheld, it can work on other hardware but it's going to be a compromised experience.
And for the record, yep Virtua Cop is still fun with a mouse.

As I said before, other games have done it just fine for decades, and better managed it to boot.

Games like System Shock 2 and the Dead Space games have much more intuitive and immersive designs for real time inventory management and get "around" the two screen gimmick with smart enemy placement.

You either haven't played ZombiU or didn't understand its design. It's the only singleplayer game that uses the WiiU controller in a smart way and there simply is no way to replicate that. This might still be a good port, but it will never be the definite version.
The inventory isn't supposed to be the most intuitive, nor anything like Dead Space. The whole point was ,,replicating'' the feel of actually grubbing in loot, quickly deciphering codes like on an actual touch device, actually using a separated radar, etc.

This will never be achieved on the TV screen. The game might work, but it will not be the same. Never. It will probably still be good, but not as good. Just like the few Wii up-ports were always inferior without pointer controls, regardless of shallow ,,hurrrgimmick'' defamations.

Reebot

It's not the "full thing" on PC (or PS4, XOne), more like a dumbed down version of a game that was made for a special feature (gamepad) and surprisingly succeeded in this task.

Lol.

I'm glad to see the spin is in full swing now.

No, the game doesn't need the gamepad. No, the new version won't suffer greatly for its loss. Yes, its the full thing.

Mael

Lol.

No, the game doesn't need the gamepad. No, the new version won't suffer greatly for its loss. Yes, its the full thing.

Like the x360 version of Goldeneye2010,
you take an interesting game, remove parts that differentiate it from the competition and call it a day.
Anyone thinking it is anything but a quick&dirty port is in for a surprise though, I mean this is Ubisoft we're talking about after all.
I wonder if it'll have the zombies from other players integration or if they'll just take the lazy way out.

Always thought this game looked interesting.

I played Dead Island and hated it though. Is this anything like that? Or am I way off and they are different enough that Dead Island is not an indicator or my enjoyment of Zombi?

pa22word

Like the x360 version of Goldeneye2010,
you take an interesting game, remove parts that differentiate it from the competition and call it a day.
Anyone thinking it is anything but a quick&dirty port is in for a surprise though, I mean this is Ubisoft we're talking about after all.
I wonder if it'll have the zombies from other players integration or if they'll just take the lazy way out.

GE2010 was a boring shooter on the Wii that lost its appeal when it had to face the competition of the dearth of shooters on the other systems. Sounds like a perfect comparison for ZombiU actually, now that you mention it.

As for the "BUT DID YOU ACTUALLY PLAY IT" petulant garbage: I was actually one of the complete morons who bought a Wii U at launch, and got it along with Mario U. I said the same thing about the game then that I am now: it's a tired, repetitive game that tries to spruce up literally decades old mechanics with a gimmick that doesn't actually do much when it's all said and done to differentiate itself from the dozens of games that have came before it.

Yeah, but you can still replicate this. Have the main screen focus where you'd usually look at the gamepad while having an overlay next to it. Let the user look with the analogue stick instead of his/her head and it's pretty much the same thing. For example. If you at one point had to look at a dialpad next to a door on the gamepad you could just have the screen focus on a dialpad being shown with the overlay right next to it while letting you turn the camera in a fixed position. Only difference here is that instead of looking down at the gamepad you look to the sides on one screen. The difference is really small in the end. Also. For all we know they might just fill the entire screen with said dialpad or whatever it could be about only to show the players surroundings when he/she is moving the analogue stick. Stop moving the stick and immediately switch back to the dialpad.In that case you would get your separate viewing to 100%.

Oh yeah, sure, it certainly can be replicated. But it just isn't the same in my eyes, since it's more about where the player is glancing, and if you're just staring at a boxout on screen, then you're far less likely to actually miss anything.

Whacking the inventory on the GamePad literally distracts your gaze away from the TV, it makes you feel much more uncomfortable than you would wrangling a menu in the corner of the screen when you're fully aware of what's happening next to it.

You either haven't played ZombiU or didn't understand its design. It's the only singleplayer game that uses the WiiU controller in a smart way and there simply is no way to replicate that. This might still be a good port, but it will never be the definite version.
The inventory isn't supposed to be the most intuitive, nor anything like Dead Space. The whole point was ,,replicating'' the feel of actually grubbing in loot, quickly deciphering codes like on an actual touch device, actually using a separated radar, etc.

This will never be achieved on the TV screen. The game might work, but it will not be the same. Never. It will probably still be good, but not as good. Just like the few Wii up-ports were always inferior without pointer controls, regardless of shallow ,,hurrrgimmick'' defamations.

This, it's all about the feel from the user's point of view. Far more anxiety if you force them to look away from the screen they have been relying on, compared with a box-out menu that complements the action.

In a way the developers are thinking about what's best for the player. Just because it's possible to mechanically implement the same thing in one way doesn't mean you should -- it's why New Super Mario Bros. and Rayman Legends never offered online co-op. The developers know it's better if all players are sitting on the same couch, in the same room.

GE2010 was a boring shooter on the Wii that lost its appeal when it had to face the competition of the dearth of shooters on the other systems.

Yeah, I wouldn't compare it to GoldenEye either, as GoldenEye was designed around commodity hardware...

Sounds like a perfect comparison for ZombiU actually, now that you mention it.

...while ZombiU wasn't.

Having to take your eye off the main screen, to look at the Gamepad while reloading your weapon, going in your bag to retrieve other weapons, food, and health can not be replicated with a on main screen slightly transparent wheel.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Hard to disagree with those saying price will make or break this title.

In Australia, I don't see this thing leaving shelves unless it's $49.95 or less.

Always thought this game looked interesting.

I played Dead Island and hated it though. Is this anything like that? Or am I way off and they are different enough that Dead Island is not an indicator or my enjoyment of Zombi?

Nothing like Dead Island in my opinion. Far more like Resident Evil first person if anything.

Lol.

It´s not a spin. It´s like playing Wii Sports on an NES pad.
Still a fun game but missing the point.

krizzx

This hits the nail on the head.

Though, personally, I always thought ZombiU was a mediocre game do to the lack of online multiplayer features, linear gameplay and limiting melee to a cricket bat. This never was a good game. It was a good first effort that could have turned into something great, but Ubisoft didn't capitalize on it.

This is going to go from a mediocre game to a subpar game without the uniqueness that the Wii U Gamepad brought in my opinion.

As for the "BUT DID YOU ACTUALLY PLAY IT" petulant garbage: I was actually one of the complete morons who bought a Wii U at launch, and got it along with Mario U.

Me too and it feels bad. Gotta give credit where credits due though, even on an otherwise shit console.

it's a tired, repetitive game that tries to spruce up literally decades old mechanics with a gimmick that doesn't actually do much when it's all said and done to differentiate itself from the dozens of games that have came before it.

It's one of the best actual survival horror games from a big publisher probably this decade, especially compared to some stuff you bring up. Like ,,another shooting focused RE4 clone with a redundant amount of annoying jump scares and remember that shitacular asteroid part?'' aka Dead Space.
Old mechanics are actually good after a whole generation of streamlining games and casualizing horror games and pretty much everything else in the AAA market. And with the indepth gamepad use it clearly does something to differentiate, no matter how long you cry gimmick (as stated in the other post).
In fact, even without that, this kind of survival horror really hasn't been done very often. Focusing on actual survival. Finally bringing some exploring/backtracking back in. The atmosphere is also very different from other Zombie scenarios, regardless of Zombies being played out. Especially nowadays when all there is are jump scare walking simulators looking for Youtube fame like these non-games P.T. and Slender.

I can't see any real survival horror fan proclaiming that ZombiU has been done before a dozens times. You probably only played the demo or something.
No melee weapons were the only downside alongside some rough graphics. And I guess the circus part.

Haunted

It´s not a spin. It´s like playing Wii Sports on an NES pad.
Still a fun game but missing the point.
I don't think this is tied as much to a second screen experience as Wii Sports was to the Wiimote.

I think the shortcomings of missing the second screen will be more than neutralised by the improved graphics/IQ as well as... well, just the ability for people who are not WiiU owners to play it. Well worth the tradeoff, imo.

Having played the original I am at loss as to what/why people feel the gamepad was such a massive element to the game and how not having it in these new versions is a hurdle to overcome. I still don't understand the hype around the gamepad's usage.

I don't think this is tied as much to a second screen experience as Wii Sports was to the Wiimote.

I think the shortcomings of missing the second screen will be more than neutralised by the improved graphics/IQ as well as... well, just the ability for people who are not WiiU owners to play it. Well worth the tradeoff, imo.

Hmm i dont think so. You can replicate any game in Wii Sports on a regular controller. Some might even argue it would be an enhanced port since the motions do not add something "essential" to the game. Or even call it useless gimmicks. Same for ZombiU .
With the Gamepad you have added immersion through:

- Scanning
- Incoming Calls and Sound Effects
- Inventory
- grabbing loot
- proximity sensors

You only get dumbed down versions of this in a port.

Hmm i dont think so. You can replicate any game in Wii Sports on a regular controller. Some might even argue it would be an enhanced port since the motions do not add something "essential" to the game. Or even call it useless gimmicks. Same for ZombiU .

- Scanning
- Inventory
- grabbing loot
- proximity sensors

Seems as though if they wanted to they could have made a companion tablet app to replicate many of those features. Incoming Calls and Sound Effects can be done on PS4 at least.

Maxrunner

It's about nothing.

There's is nothing in ZombiU that has to rely on the gamepad to make it work. Games have been doing the same formula as ZombiU, and better, for decades without two screens. System Shock 2 did the exact same thing in 1999 for fucks sake (including the spawn system...), what makes you think these designers can't make it work in 2015?

I've finished system shock 2 and you keep going to the management system and its not about that at all...its about dealing with multiple screens at the same time.and no system shock 2 didn't do it like you said. In system shock 2 you could do it but you could track everything in the same field of vision, not quite the same thing as there isn't nearly the same tension when you had to deal with the inventory.

erawsd

- Scanning
- Inventory
- grabbing loot
- proximity sensors

The real difference is that the WiiSports games are too simple to stand on their own, there is no reason to play them without motion controls. Zombi(U) is a full fledged game whose best elements have nothing to do with the gamepad. You can perhaps say that its more "immersive" but frankly, its not enough of a difference that it will harm the experience. In fact, I found a lot of the gamepad stuff obnoxious and would have been happier if it was toned down.

I never understood how some gamers are so against playing a game in a different way compared to what they are used to.

When it comes down to it. This new version will never replace what the wii u version achieved.

Maxrunner

I never understood how some gamers are so against playing a game in a different way compared to what they are used to.

When it comes down to it. This new version will never replace what the wii u version achieved.

Because it's the need to dwonplay it because it wasn't on their platform of choice. I mean mentioning system shock 2 ? Really? Completely different setting and type of game.

Hmm i dont think so. You can replicate any game in Wii Sports on a regular controller. Some might even argue it would be an enhanced port since the motions do not add something "essential" to the game.

Oh? I was always under the impression it actually read what kind of input you made, at least when I read this.

"Wii Sports is a fantastic example of quality programming. Everyone bought a Wii assuming that Wii Sports marked the beginning of what one could do with motion controls. But motion controls require a ton of programming expertise. A button, after all, is binary. A 1 or 0. A motion control has tons of inputs. But as we can see from the Wii Era, there was little interest from non-Nintendo companies in quality programming."

faridmon

Lol.

Apparently this game doesn''t have the multiplayer aspect of the WiiU version which was one of the selling point.

Apparently this game doesn''t have the multiplayer aspect of the WiiU version which was one of the selling point.

Agreed. Multiplayer was surprisingly awesome. And to be honest, this game was one of the only WiiU games that I enjoyed the use of the game pad. Felt much more strategic.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Look, GamePad value in ZombiU is always going to be subjective, and I say this as someone who considers it still one of the better examples of using the peripheral, and by far the best game at launch that gave Nintendo a run for their money. If the GamePad "makes the experience" or whatever for you, that's fine.

But it's not like Skyward Sword or Wii Sports Resort where adapting motion controls to a standard pad, while doable, would be somewhat convoluted and stripped of the 1:1 3D space tracking that simply isn't possible on the hardware and thus makes for a drastically different experience.

I really loved looking down at the gamepad to manage inventory, use health, equip items or whatever, but for me it wasn't that integral or that frequent that the absence of second screen hardware would strip the game of its tension. It wasn't just "looking down" that enforced ZombiU's tension. It was the methodical, easy-to-die encounters, scarce resources, Metroid-lite like level design, Souls-like survivalism, and unbroken gameplay when managing inventory. Like I've said before The Last of Us did that latter point perfectly; your character crouched, a sensible, accessible real time menu popped up to juggle equipped weaponry and health, all the while the game remained in play and gave you simple camera controls to look around.

Whipping up your GamePad to look through the scanner is literally just screen replacement. It wasn't even "second screen, away from the action" like inventory management. It was the exact bloody imagery simply rendered on another display. Maybe it won't feel as good to you to press a button to do this instead of lifting the pad, but on a game design level it does not, on a fundamental level, strip away or reimagine your presence in the virtual world. Looking down at the second screen to view radar and manage inventory? Sure. Scanner? No.

So no, it's not going to be exactly the same experience. It can't be, not without utilising a mobile phone or Vita or whatever to replicate the GamePad. I loved the GamePad integration. And many of you did too. And many of you wouldn't give these up for another build of the game, feeling they're that important. And that's fine. But it's a fallacy to imply they were utterly essential to the design of ZombiU, like the game as a whole will fall apart without them.

It's not only inaccurate, but also a massive disservice and oversight to all the other amazing things going on in the game. Strip away all the GamePad use and the heart of ZombiU is still there, and still unlike more or less every other horror game out there. Alien is the only recent thing to come close in design style, and even that is plenty different in fundamental areas. This might be a shitty port, and I'm worried it is not due to Straight Right (who are great) but due to its digital only, last minute, Ubisoft release status. But assuming it's not, there's a great (if sometimes rough) Resident Evil meets 'Souls horror game in there that does a far better job of adhering to the very concept of "survival horror" than most games out there even with the GamePad features gone.

Yogg

ZombiU was certainly not defined only by the gamepad use. With a smart port they'll probably be able to replicate "most" of the features the gamepad was bringing.

And even if it's different, ZombiU had enough good ideas implemented and it's a good thing more people get to enjoy it.

Mael

GE2010 was a boring shooter on the Wii that lost its appeal when it had to face the competition of the dearth of shooters on the other systems. Sounds like a perfect comparison for ZombiU actually, now that you mention it.

I could have used NMH or any other game designed around a special controller, it's not like there's dearth of example to choose from.
From Half Life on console to Arcade ports of Marble Madness.
GE2010 was actually a much better shooter than most of the stuffs I had to suffer on ps3 as far as singleplayer goes, then again it's been a while since that kind of shooter had a campaign worth giving 2 shits about.

As for the "BUT DID YOU ACTUALLY PLAY IT" petulant garbage: I was actually one of the complete morons who bought a Wii U at launch, and got it along with Mario U. I said the same thing about the game then that I am now: it's a tired, repetitive game that tries to spruce up literally decades old mechanics with a gimmick that doesn't actually do much when it's all said and done to differentiate itself from the dozens of games that have came before it.

It was a divisive game then and it still is now, that's not going to change.
If it didn't click with you then, this isn't going to make you change your mind.
Again zombiU is not about real time inventory more than the way the game tries to divide your attention on multiple tasks which doesn't really works without the second screen.
Funny enough a 3DS port would work better than on a traditional console.
Really the experience that is ZombiU will not be replicated on the kind of project this port is going to be.
If you hated it then why are you so interested in discussing it now though?

Stoze

Completely agree with this. I think that's how it is with 95% of the dual screen type stuff that's been on Nintendo consoles since the DS; adds to the experience, but dosen't make the experience.

As for the game itself though...I'm not the biggest fan. It got really repetitive to me and the tension and survival aspects didn't feel nailed down enough to make up for the lack of quick and fluid gameplay sacrificed for them. It's cool though and I see why a lot of people like it, glad to see it coming to different platforms.

Vuze

Sooo, does somebody know where I can listen to this version of the song in full length? Apparently it's "London Bridge is Falling Down" by Dezzaired but I can only find edited rips from the trailer. Guess it's not available right now huh? Sucks, I really dig it.

Denton

Look, GamePad value in ZombiU is always going to be subjective, and I say this as someone who considers it still one of the better examples of using the peripheral, and by far the best game at launch that gave Nintendo a run for their money. If the GamePad "makes the experience" or whatever for you, that's fine.

But it's not like Skyward Sword or Wii Sports Resort where adapting motion controls to a standard pad, while doable, would be somewhat convoluted and stripped of the 1:1 3D space tracking that simply isn't possible on the hardware and thus makes for a drastically different experience.

I really loved looking down at the gamepad to manage inventory, use health, equip items or whatever, but for me it wasn't that integral or that frequent that the absence of second screen hardware would strip the game of its tension. It wasn't just "looking down" that enforced ZombiU's tension. It was the methodical, easy-to-die encounters, scarce resources, Metroid-lite like level design, Souls-like survivalism, and unbroken gameplay when managing inventory. Like I've said before The Last of Us did that latter point perfectly; your character crouched, a sensible, accessible real time menu popped up to juggle equipped weaponry and health, all the while the game remained in play and gave you simple camera controls to look around.

Whipping up your GamePad to look through the scanner is literally just screen replacement. It wasn't even "second screen, away from the action" like inventory management. It was the exact bloody imagery simply rendered on another display. Maybe it won't feel as good to you to press a button to do this instead of lifting the pad, but on a game design level it does not, on a fundamental level, strip away or reimagine your presence in the virtual world. Looking down at the second screen to view radar and manage inventory? Sure. Scanner? No.

So no, it's not going to be exactly the same experience. It can't be, not without utilising a mobile phone or Vita or whatever to replicate the GamePad. I loved the GamePad integration. And many of you did too. And many of you wouldn't give these up for another build of the game, feeling they're that important. And that's fine. But it's a fallacy to imply they were utterly essential to the design of ZombiU, like the game as a whole will fall apart without them.

It's not only inaccurate, but also a massive disservice and oversight to all the other amazing things going on in the game. Strip away all the GamePad use and the heart of ZombiU is still there, and still unlike more or less every other horror game out there. Alien is the only recent thing to come close in design style, and even that is plenty different in fundamental areas. This might be a shitty port, and I'm worried it is not due to Straight Right (who are great) but due to its digital only, last minute, Ubisoft release status. But assuming it's not, there's a great (if sometimes rough) Resident Evil meets 'Souls horror game in there that does a far better job of adhering to the very concept of "survival horror" than most games out there even with the GamePad features gone.

You just made my hyped. Is it August 18th yet?
And yeah they better not fuck up the PC version. That would be a huge shame.

Pinkish Phoenix

Neo Member
You can't focus on the main screen and the pad screen at the same time.
That was the whole point of the pad integration, putting a minimap on the mainscreen is missing the point.

There are plenty of games that use this system with one screen, Alien isolation is a recent example of this. And it even makes more sense, if your using a radar you would hold it in front of yourself while using it to detect something. You wouldn't keep looking down, then back up because that's a cumbersome process that leaves you uneccesarily vurnerable.

That's niticking, like saying that it's unrealistic to have the character interact with the flashlight while also holding his weapon with both arm.

Except that's not unrealistic at all. One hand for the flashlight, and one hand for the gun. Boom, done. That makes sense. Now we've got two hands to hold a gun, and a third to hold the GPS. Unless your some kind of mutant that situation doesn't make sense. ZombiU is a game of incapacitation, you do one thing and it takes away the ability to do something else while keeping the player out of any type of pause screen. Choose to fight a Zombie? Well I hope you came prepared because you can't pause to check your inventory. Need to look through your bag? Well the game doesn't stop so you better make sure the coast is clear. Additionally, when you look through your bag your character actually stops kneels down and opens a sack. But now for whatever reason that same character always has access to a map even when their hands are occupied? I'm sorry but that's not consistent.

The minimap is not just minimap, it's 1rst and foremost and radar and used as such.
You would get that if you actually played it.

Yep, your right. And like I said radars are best used within your peripheral vision, not away from your view to the point were looking up at your surroundings then back down to the radar and back up again, that's inefficient. And as for your little snarky remark, I've already played the game to completion and felt that the gamepad "features" were negligible at best and annoying at worst. So your personal assumption about me is wrong.

If you don't care about the ZombiU experience and just want to play random zombi game #87645 just say so.

ZombiU pretty much is "random zombi game #87645". Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the game and it's interesting ideas and mechanics(not including the gamepad) are why I'm interested in the PC port. But let's not pretend that this game differentiates itself enough not to have a place in a "Big box of generic Zombie stuff" I mean come on, The typical run down city, the outbreak/no cure senario, no survivors, ect... I mean this game is a by the books piece of zombie media in almost every way.

Green Yoshi

I hope they improved the graphics and stick controls. It looked very ugly compared to 360/PS3 games of 2012 and the controls felt not very smooth.

Pandy

Certain parts of the game will be a significantly lesser experience without the gamepad, but you're right that overall gameplay won't be affected as much.

Saying that improved graphics makes up for removal of gameplay features? I can not agree with that.

Your final point does stand. It's nice for people with other systems to be able to play a version of the game that they couldn't previously, and hopefully they'll get a decent game. The list of changes makes me think it's going to be a somewhat easier one.

For me, I finally processed the bit where it's digital only. I don't buy digital on PS4 anymore, so I'll be sticking with the WiiU version anyway unless they really have come up with a superior version and it appears on PS+.

There are plenty of games that use this system with one screen, Alien isolation is a recent example of this. And it even makes more sense, if your using a radar you would hold it in front of yourself while using it to detect something. You wouldn't keep looking down, then back up because that's a cumbersome process that leaves you uneccesarily vurnerable.
There is no world in which a WiiU version of this game with the tracker in the gamepad wouldn't have been a 100% better experience. It would almost have been worth buying Colonial Marines for, if they'd ever released the damn game.

Pinkish Phoenix

Neo Member
There is no world in which a WiiU version of this game with the tracker in the gamepad wouldn't have been a 100% better experience. It would almost have been worth buying Colonial Marines for, if they'd ever released the damn game.

I've already explained how I felt about the radar and vision debate in my previous comment and how I prefer how Alien Isolation handled this to ZombiU. So which ever world is the one that prefers Alien Isolation to ZombiU is the one I'm in.

It's cool to have an opinion but just know that you're just as wrong as the people you're complaining about. :)

I bet nobody told you it "couldn't" happen, just that it would lose a lot. Which is factually still true, no matter how you slice it.
Lol you are fucking kidding right? People like you make talking about games unbearable.

SmokyDave

This brought a tear to my eye. A tear of blood.

jond76

Banned
This apparently drops Tuesday. Anyone grabbing it? I'll dive if its $20. If more, I'll have to debate it.

No preload either. Strange.

Anung

Un Rama
This apparently drops Tuesday. Anyone grabbing it? I'll dive if its $20. If more, I'll have to debate it.

No preload either. Strange.

I'm grabbing it. Loved it on Wii U and I'm curious to see how it translates. I hope this does well so people can see how great it is.

impact

Banned

Good thing I played it on Wii U already. Why are you so upset that more people get to play this awesome game?

Now I can play it on PC with better everything. m/kb is definitely an upgrade from the padlet.

Top Bottom