• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of Mordor offers Ultra texture optional download, recommends 6GB VRAM @ 1080p

SighFight

Isn't anybody wondering about the timing of this? Nvidia just launched new cards and AMD will take a while to get theirs out (Q1/15). And suddenly there are games that just need more ram then there is on the new cards. Better wait for the next AMD, right?

I'm sure the game will be perfectly playable with sharp textures on 2GB cards. Needing a lot of memory is typically no achievement and is the easiest thing to be done.

tinfoil hat is on by the way

And here I was expecting my 3gb OC 780ti to be holding its own for a while.

First maxwell cards and now this...

Ultimately I'm fine not having ultra as an option but it would be nice.

Man, people need to chill out. More than likely these Ultra textures are a way of future-proofing the game. It happens all the time with games like The Witcher 2, Doom 3 and Crysis. Did people go this nuts when Witchers Ubersampling was revealed? You can still play the game and make it look great (better than consoles for sure) at 1080/60 at least.

This is VERY GOOD news. It means that for the first time since 2007 Crysis (7 years ago!) the PC hardware is being pushed to its limits thanks to nothing less but a true next-gen game port.

I think all of you PC gamers should be happy. Finally there is some action in the PC gaming space after all those years of maxing out PS360 ports in 2560x1440x60 fps.
Until games start looking better than Crysis 3 this isn't remotely true.

I've been thinking about upgrading my aging HD6950 1GB for a while now, so I'm OK with this.

It's good to see PC hardware get a significant shot in the arm - I can't wait to see what this looks like with a nice shiny new graphics card! :)

I imagine that's the case with most threads on GAF.

Probably, but this has the potential of blowing up in our face. The developers offer an Ultra HD texture option as a free download for people with high end hardware. That's very cool of them. What do they get in return? Kneejerk reactions that will surely make them wonder "why bother" in the future.

In case any game developers are reading this: Some people are dumb, don't understand technology at all or have a specific agenda they want to further. Most of us appreciate high end options.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
This is VERY GOOD news. It means that for the first time since 2007 Crysis (7 years ago!) the PC hardware is being pushed to its limits thanks to nothing less but a true next-gen game port.

I think all of you PC gamers should be happy. Finally there is some action in the PC gaming space after all those years of maxing out PS360 ports in 2560x1440x60 fps.
For all we know it's just uncompressed textures, which offer a tiny bump in quality for a massive increase in size.

Evo X

Probably, but this has the potential of blowing up in our face. The developers offer an Ultra HD texture option as a free download for people with high end hardware. That's very cool of them. What do they get in return? Kneejerk reactions that will surely make them wonder "why bother" in the future.

In case any game developers are reading this: Some people are dumb, don't understand technology at all or have a specific agenda they want to further. Most of us appreciate high end options.

Finally, someone who understands! Thank you. Wish more people were this level headed.

If it's a legitimate increase in fidelity, we should be thanking the devs for giving us the option. If it turns out just to be shit optimization, then we have a right to be mad. But, until then, I think we should give them the benefit of the doubt.

Yep, plenty of people can, but not the majority.

Your point being what? That they should only make the graphics good enough to cater to the lowest common denominator? If ultra high end can run it now, mid range can run it a few years down the line, and people enjoying it today on Console settings get a free "Remaster" of the game when they upgrade their PC next time.

For those of you choosing the PS4 version over the PC version. If you have a mid-high end PC, you are still better getting the PC version. It will still look and run better than the PS4 one. Even Watch_Dogs which launched like a pile of garbage on PC would run better than its console counterpart. Enough of these kneejerk reactions please.

Koobion

What kind of agenda could someone possibly have that manifests in the form of being disappointed they can't run a game on the absolute maximum settings? LOL

I agree people are overreacting, but I think you are also overreacting by going as far as to passively suggest people are "dumb" for essentially nothing more than being bummed out that their expensive hardware isn't good enough. Sure there is a certain level of ignorance, which is why I think you'd have better made your point by saying people don't fully understand the technology they're talking about - rather than insult them.

Leb

Ouch. As both John Carmack and Oles Shishkovstov have noted, consoles can provide almost twice the performance when compared with a comparably spec'ed PC, and, well, the math isn't pretty.

Basically, we can double the relevant specs on the PS4 side, so we're looking at an effective 16GB of DDR5 memory, or approximately 13-14 GB for use on the gaming side. We can also double the 1.8TF on the GPU side, to get a GPU subsystem that operates at an effective 3.6TF.

Meanwhile, since a comparably spec'ed PC is only half as powerful as a given console, and per the intransigent property of multiplicative dissemblance, we need to halve the relevant specs on the PC side. Thus, even with the latest flagship card, the 980, we're looking at a card with an effective 2.5TF and 2GBs of VRAM.

This means that a PS4 will be able to easily utilize Ultra textures (with memory to spare) and that the PS4 will be able to bring almost 1.5x more power to bear when compared to a PC running a 980 -- a PC that can utilize at most Medium textures, thanks to the effective 2GBs of VRAM.

Evo X

Ouch. As both John Carmack and Oles Shishkovstov have noted, consoles can provide almost twice the performance when compared with a comparably spec'ed PC, and, well, the math isn't pretty.

Basically, we can double the relevant specs on the PS4 side, so we're looking at an effective 16GB of DDR5 memory, or approximately 13-14 GB for use on the gaming side. We can also double the 1.8TF on the GPU side, to get a GPU subsystem that operates at an effective 3.6TF.

Meanwhile, since a comparably spec'ed PC is only half as powerful as a given console, and per the intransigent property of multiplicative dissemblance, we need to halve the relevant specs on the PC side. Thus, even with the latest flagship card, the 980, we're looking at a card with an effective 2.5TF and 2GBs of VRAM.

This means that a PS4 will be able to easily utilize Ultra textures (with memory to spare) and that the PS4 will be able to bring almost 1.5x more power to bear when compared to a PC running a 980 -- a PC that can utilize at most Medium textures, thanks to the effective 2GBs of VRAM.

LOL, is this post for real?

I honestly can't tell anymore.

Blackage

The only 6GB+ cards on the market at the moment are the Titans and R9-295Xs right?

That's....rather pricey, kinda silly that SLI 680, 690, 770, 780, 970, 980s can't handle that.

Hasney

The only 6GB+ cards on the market at the moment are the Titans and R9-295Xs right?

That's....rather pricey, kinda silly that SLI 680, 690, 770, 780, 970, 980s can't handle that.

Why is that silly? Especially when SLI comes into it as you still only have the same RAM as one card.

Yudoken

6gb Vram?
I don't believe that the textures are that great.
So if I understand it right people with a 970 can't play with the highest texture resolutions?

Yeah, and think about that: If we multiply the PS4 specs by 50 and divide PC specs by 50 due to law of multiplication, the difference is even higher!
PC is dead.

Blackage

Why is that silly? Especially when SLI comes into it as you still only have the same RAM as one card.

I meant it's silly that the market moves so fast that a brand new card line like the 970s & 980s aren't even enough for a game coming out in 4 days heh.

Seanspeed

Banned

I feel so inadequate now.

Oh yea, I know. I think overreactions on the internet have probably caused a lot of 'why bother' attitudes from developers of all sorts of things. Its hugely annoying, but there is simply no stopping it sometimes.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
PC graphic options.....sexy
ShadowOfMordor-2014-09-25-20-55-27-91.png

Dear gamedevelopers. Please take note; showing what you recommend for a particular setting and what the gamer has installed should be the norm, not an exception.

Thank you.

OT:
my GTX650Ti 2GB will rock a measly medium texture-quality :( Will buying another one count towards 4GB?

Fedelias

You lost me dude.

SparkTR

The Digital Foundry for this game should be interesting, maxed out at those specs I expect it to demolish every other version.

What kind of agenda could someone possibly have that manifests in the form of being disappointed they can't run a game on the absolute maximum settings? LOL

The agenda that you may be better off buying the console version. Which is horseshit of course, but some people may actually fall for it.

Maffis

So, basically, "ultra" graphics got its meaning back, and not just a cooler word for "a bit better graphics" for the pc-master race?

Guys, please. High is still high and it looks good. Pc-version gets the benefit for higher framerates and less pop-ins. Ultra is reserved for the future or those who have the cash now.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
So, basically, "ultra" graphics got its meaning back, and not just a cooler word for "a bit better graphics" for the pc-master race?

Guys, please. High is still high and it looks good. Pc-version gets the benefit for higher framerates and less pop-ins. Ultra is reserved for the future or those who have the cash now.

This one isn't like Skyrim, which even now has a presence and people are still playing it.

Option reserved 'for the future' doesn't make sense for this game, there will be very very less number of people playing this game in the future.

syko de4d

Wow 6gb is alot. I wonder why they do the extra work for Ultra Textures just for 0.1% of the PC gamer.

Is Maxwell not 20-30% more effective with their VRAM because of this new color compression or was it only for the memeory bandwith? And MFAA does save VRAM compared to MSAA too.

Now I've seen everything.

Do they actually realize that the only video card currently available with 6 GB of VRAM is the GeForce GTX TITAN and a very rare few GTX 780 Ti models?

Vuze

Wow 6gb is alot. I wonder why they do the extra work for Ultra Textures just for 0.1% of the PC gamer.

Is Maxwell not 20-30% more effective with their VRAM because of this new color compression or was it only for the memeory bandwith? And MFAA does save VRAM compared to MSAA too.

Well, they already have those super high resolution(?) uncompressed(?) textures at hand, so why not offer them as a free DLC for gamers who will (re)play the game in a few years with future hardware.

Do they actually realize that the only video card currently available with 6 GB of VRAM is the GeForce GTX TITAN and a very rare few GTX 780 Ti models?
Yes, right now.

Alasfree

This thread is the proof that many people deserve it when developers choose to reduce their game graphics settings to GRAPHICS = ON/OFF.
If you so desire the console version just silently get it and stop trolling this threads, please.

This is only applicable when the application in question is perfectly optimised, which for most of the time isn't the case. You also don't double the ram, it has nothing to do with processing power. It's like saying you can double the hdd space too.
If what you claim is true, all new games on the PS4 would run at settings equal to that of pc maximum settings, which just is not true.

Hasney

This one isn't like Skyrim, which even now has a presence and people are still playing it.

Option reserved 'for the future' doesn't make sense for this game, there will be very very less number of people playing this game in the future.

It's a sandbox game too. I don't think it's safe to make that assumption.

Hey, they may have already done the work for the LOTR re-master collection for the PS5!

I'm beginning to wonder if it might be worth having a slot on a motherboard for GDDR5 that graphics cards can access at a high bandwidth for things like this. I don't know how technically feasible that would be, but it would help out a lot of people who just bought a new card and need more VRAM right now.

Sentenza

Isn't there only 4.5 - 5GB available to devs on the PS4 and X1?
Sure, but on the other hand these settings on PC are supposed to be way above what consoles are running, so it sort-of makes sense to see increased requirements in terms of RAM.

I'm stll guessing that extreme cases like this one may be the byproduct of very poor efforts in minimizing the memory footprint, on the other hand.

Jrs3000

I was building a new PC that is future proofed for at least 5 to 6 years. I will have to look for a different graphics card. I thought 3gb was enough VRAM.

Talking out the ass just hit a new level..

If you google "multiplicative dissemblance", the first result is this post.

Wiktor

I do expect great PC version. I mean...this is fricking Monolith. At their top they spanked every other PC FPS maker like they would be little children. If I don't get great PC version I'm going to be very dissapointed.

Yudoken

Ew. Glad I have a PS4.

'I can play Shadow of Mordor on Ultra and 4k on my PS4!'

We should clarify that 1080p and 60fps is NOT = Ultra graphics settings.
The PS4 version is probably with medium and low settings.
People who are nitpicking on pc already have a way better version then the console versions.
It's just a rare example that a game wants 6gb Vram (which we even don't know if it's legit and necessary) for Ultra settings on 1080p.
I doubt that 4gb for Ultra on a 970 isn't enough.
They probably didn't do anything special with the pc port which people only can fix with raw hardware power (or the devs actually update and fix the game).
Don't try to compare a normal car with a racecar.

Top Bottom