• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PES 2015 : 1080P 60 FPS on PS4 - 720P 60 FPS on X1

Marlenus

On paper you could say certain raw numbers are 50% better, but that is over simplifying things.

Again remember I am not saying the PS4 is not more powerful

It is not oversimplifying when both consoles use GCN parts that have very similar PC counterparts. You can use those counterparts to get a rough idea of the % difference between the consoles when you assume the API and the optimisation of both is the same. When you do that you get a 40-50% advantage for the PS4.

Some games will show off the difference, some games won't and other games will be constrained by the ESRAM. It seems to me that the Fox Engine is constrained by something on the Xbox One and depending on what is causing the bottleneck will depend on if this resolution gap will stay or shrink in Fox Engine games.

Jack cw

With that said. Resolution isn't everything.

Wouldnt say it like that. I played PES14 on PS3 last year and the IQ is terrible. The best scaler and deinterlacer couldnt help the pixelated and low res look, especially when there is no AA. I want a crisp looking native 1080p picture. A console in 2014 should be able to achieve this.

One4U

Banned
This is KONAMI's strategy.

Release PES 2015 on Xbox One in 720p;
Nobody buys it, Xbox One version doomed;
Release PES 2016 exclusively on PS4/PS3;
Xbox fans ask why;
KONAMI: because you didn't purchase PES 2015.

Just joke. Hope the future PES can get better treatment on Xbox One.

Jack cw

But is it related to my post about my choice: play FIFA on Xbox One and play PES on PS4?

Only because of resolution?
Why would I? I'd play PES15 even in 720p on xbone because its by far the better balanced and more realistic football game. FIFA in its current state is broken and gameplaywise the worst FIFA in years.

Marlenus

Yes I know about those raw numbers - but there is more to it than just raw numbers - but I can see this is a pointless discussion and is going nowhere

Well the API can have an effect but the Xbox One API is behind the PS4 API already so at best it will catch up, that is a small factor in the overall performance metrics though. Other than the API there is nothing other than raw GPU hardware power and the PS4 is faster by 45-50% at that level. That is of course assuming devs can fully utilise the ESRAM, if they cannot use the ESRAM fully then this gap actually increases.

BWJinxing

Isn't titanfall still 792p on xbone? I can't find anything confirming a bump.

It sounds like the engine lacks optimzation, but I'm not sure it would suddenly be 900p/60 fps.

xkramz

Wouldnt say it like that. I played PES14 on PS3 last year and the IQ is terrible. The best scaler and deinterlacer couldnt help the pixelated and low res look, especially when there is no AA. I want a crisp looking native 1080p picture. A console in 2014 should be able to achieve this.
True but would u rather have lower resolution for higher fps? Obviously depending on the game too.

SeanTSC

Isn't titanfall still 792p on xbone? I can't find anything confirming a bump.

It sounds like the engine lacks optimzation, but I'm not sure it would suddenly be 900p/60 fps.

It's not so much: "This game only runs at 60 fps at 720p because our overall code could use cleaning up and isn't good enough."

It's more: "This game only runs at 720p because our renderer uses X amount of framebuffer and that's just as high as the resolution can go on this system with ESRAM because of it." And they probably don't want to rewrite their renderer for an SKU that they probably don't have much faith in.

Though maybe it could go higher, perhaps they could push it up to something like 796p, but maybe there's a different view on pushing resolution to the edge over there (at Konami in Japan) and they go with certain markers like 720/900/1080.

Volcane

Yes I know about those raw numbers - but there is more to it than just raw numbers - but I can see this is a pointless discussion and is going nowhere

lalala.gif

Jack cw

True but would u rather have lower resolution for higher fps? Obviously depending on the game too.
Depends on the game of course but a sports game with quick input time and many animations needs to be 60 fps. If the system isnt powerful enough to provide both 1080p and 60fps, then 720p and 60fps is ok, but in this case, even PC get only a gimped version, a hybrid between PES14 and 15. Looks like Konami made a decision in which system to invest.
But when he does say something, they're pretty good gems -

X3Xm18A.png

Amazing. Simply amazing.

Only because of resolution?
Why would I? I'd play PES15 even in 720p on xbone because its by far the better balanced and more realistic football game. FIFA in its current state is broken and gameplaywise the worst FIFA in years.

Gameplay in a soccer game is not an excuse for poor resolution. Now gameplay is subjective and FIFA's is not broken compared to PES. Now if FIFA was in the same level as NBA Live is to 2k I'd agree with you. And if 2k15 looked like PES15, in terms of resolution I couldn't even bring myself to purchase it. I'd settle for 2k14 or 2k13. And out of curiosity when you play PES, what camera angle are you using?

sephiroth7x

Could this be anything to do with prioritising...

I mean, Xbox One best sales area is NA... so FIFA will win there no doubt as it also sells far better than PES ever has there.

The PS4 has sold best in the EU where most people bought PES classically over the years. If they crisp the game to perfection for the PS4 then most people who buy the game will get the better version...

In my head, this logic makes perfect sense... though now its written down I feel like my mind may be melting...

Conduit

Banned
Yes, absolutely.

But is it related to my post about my choice: play FIFA on Xbox One and play PES on PS4?

I one hand...yes.

Anyway, why should somebody play PES 15 on PS4 if he/she has only Xbone and if PES 15 in the end turns out better than FIFA 15 ( IMO it is )?

sephiroth7x

Gameplay in a soccer game is not an excuse for poor resolution. Now gameplay is subjective and FIFA's is not broken compared to PES.

Gameplay is completely subjective but FIFA's gameplay really is broken compared to PES... I honestly don't understand how it has reached a level of culture that it has!

mrb1972

Banned
Well the API can have an effect but the Xbox One API is behind the PS4 API already so at best it will catch up, that is a small factor in the overall performance metrics though. Other than the API there is nothing other than raw GPU hardware power and the PS4 is faster by 45-50% at that level. That is of course assuming devs can fully utilise the ESRAM, if they cannot use the ESRAM fully then this gap actually increases.

To you and the others few who quoted me, we are going around in circles, I don't think there is a 50% "real word" performance gap, I have my opinion and you have yours so lets just agree to disagree for the time being

Jack cw

Gameplay in a soccer game is not an excuse for poor resolution. Now gameplay is subjective and FIFA's is not broken compared to PES. Now if FIFA was in the same level as NBA Live is to 2k I'd agree with you. And if 2k15 looked like PES15, in terms of resolution I couldn't even bring myself to purchase it. I'd settle for 2k14 or 2k13. And out of curiosity when you play PES, what camera angle are you using?

Have you seen the complains in the FIFA OT, the amazon review section or the EA Sports boards? Even by the most objective standards, things like clubs, FUT, goalie AI, pace decides match outcomes, stats are reseted, arcady gameplay, etc. are flawed to a point where key elements of the game are indeed broken in it's current state.

And I play PES with default angle and a bit more zoomed in. Default setting when playing competitive. So what is your point?

Bishop89

To you and the others few who quoted me, we are going around in circles, I don't think there is a 50% "real word" performance gap, I have my opinion and you have yours so lets just agree to disagree for the time being

in the real world, ps4 version is 1080p whilst the xbone one is 720p.

just accept it
giphy.gif

Marlenus

Well you are wrong. I do not have an opinion on this, I have facts on this. This is not a subjective issue we are discussing it is 100% purely objective and there is nothing to have an opinion on regarding the pure performance differences between these two consoles.

If you had said that you do not think the performance difference results in that great a difference in terms of IQ then well sure, that is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

mrb1972

Banned
Well you are wrong. I do not have an opinion on this, I have facts on this. This is not a subjective issue we are discussing it is 100% purely objective and there is nothing to have an opinion on regarding the pure performance differences between these two consoles.

If you had said that you do not think the performance difference results in that great a difference in terms of IQ then well sure, that is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

I did say that - "real world" that's what I meant

Mugatu

None of us have seen this game - the only fact would be the spec itself which is meaningless in and of itself. Of course it's always IQ and everything is an opinion.

Chances are that 99% of the people in here will never even play this game so just stop the childishness of trying to win an argument.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
in the real world, ps4 version is 1080p whilst the xbone one is 720p.

just accept it
giphy.gif

MS could easily resolve this using Kinect. It could monitor you and if you get within 12ft of the TV a warning could appear on the screen.
"Warning, you are too close. Please move back to appreciated the true next gen experience".

Guys PES15 is a good game no matter in 720 or 1080p, it's better than Fifa.

MS could easily resolve this using Kinect. It could monitor you and if you get within 12ft of the TV a warning could appear on the screen.
"Warning, you are too close. Please move back to appreciated the true next gen experience".

messigifu4p4k.gif

mrb1972

Banned
Serious question: Do you have anything solid or something that adds to this topic and discussion? That trolling wasn't funny a year ago and it sure isn't today either.

Serious Question to you - please explain how I am trolling? I haven't said anything bad about the PS4 or said it's not more powerful

Marlenus

I did say that - "real world" that's what I meant

To me "real world" is just a correlation between spec sheets and actual performance, be it resolution or FPS and in that case the PS4 does hold the advantage thanks to the beefier GPU.

If by "real world" you mean the on screen image as it compares to each other then that is the subjective view point I was talking about and you are, of course, entitled to your own opinion on what you consider a large or a small difference.

Business

This. PES looks a lot better and feels better. Just doesn't have all the leagues and presentation.

Yeah after having tried both demos I agree PES feels a lot better. At this point I couldn't care less about the official licenses, just make a good football game.

Top Bottom