• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Performance Analysis: Assassin's Creed Unity (Digital Foundry)

Biker19

Banned
Its happening.

God that framerate is horrible, worse on PS4?

The framerate spends most of its time in the 20's, thats so fucking bad. Ladies and Gentlemen, next generation!

While Xbone has ~10% More CPU power, PS4 still has ~40% more powerful GPU which should be enough to counter any gains Xbone has from CPU in most cases. And even if we assume the Game use only CPU the difference should be less than 3 fps.

Yeah, this shouldn't be happening in any way on the PS4 version at all, considering that it's more powerful than Xbox One is.

Ubisoft have clearly sold themselves out to Microsoft on this title.

ms is a little more forward thinking than sony in general, and it shows here. it may not be an across the board benefit, but cpu heavy games will shine.

You can't be serious with this statement.

Lol. Good one. That 10% clockspeed boost of the same CPU are gonna be doing circles around the PS4's 50% overall power advantage and GPGPU capabilities in the future.
well i'm not a technical person but isn't that like 10% more IQ vs 50% more makeup? I just think for open world games, which i like, the xbox is a better bet.

Radec

heh... as expected.

Game is shit.

Ubisoft probably spent more on advertisement and marketing deals than the development of this game.

One game has you wondering about a trend

Concern Troll
English
Noun

concern troll (plural concern trolls)

Concern trolling is a form of Internet trolling in which someone enters a discussion with claims that he or she supports the view of the discussion, but has concerns. This involves developing a believable persona as a supporter of a cause who has legitimate concerns. Once a concern troll has sowed dissent or discord, often he or she can sit back and let the other commenters do the rest of the work. When a concern troll has done the job correctly, the discussion will split, factions will emerge, and support for the cause will have eroded.

SRTtoZ

I didnt realize how many bugs are in this game and how often they appear. Watching Angryjoe stream for 10-20 minutes now and it seems like weird glitches EVERYWHERE, every few minutes, whether its climbing, combat, just walking around, etc. Even the death animations are glitchy! (Hes playing the PC version)

well i'm not a technical person but isn't that like 10% more IQ vs 50% more makeup? I just think for open world games, which i like, the xbox is a better bet.

You're in luck. The PS4 GPU has approximately double the GPGPU compute power when compared to X1's GPU. When devs finally decide to use compute on GPUs, the performance gulf between PS4 and X1 will be significantly in PS4's favor in most situations.

Mastperf

I don't think you understand how insignificant a 10% cpu boost is on these cpu's. The upclock was a PR move and an attempt to close a significant gap between the two systems. What other open-world games have you seen to make you think this?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Why do people continuously charge that MS had something to do with Ubi's incompetence? All versions of the game seem like a hot mess. Maybe they put more effort to get the Xbox One up to snuff, but that doesn't really mean MS was literally paying them to do it or whatever.

Albert Penello said:
People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. We CREATED DirectX, the standard API’s that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think we don’t know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way we’re giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious.

I get a ton of hate for saying this – but it’s been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on our system looked the same or better.

I’m not saying they haven’t built a good system – I’m merely saying that anyone who wants to die on their sword over this 30%+ power advantage are going to be fighting an uphill battle over the next 10 years…
Albert Penello redeemed

Though based on a current gen engine it will be interesting to see how the current gen GTA5 performs with ts larger crowds and all that. It is an CPU intensive game, DF gave the nod to the PS3 version for performance.but maybe sony will pay R* not to use all the X1's CPU tehe.

It's also PS4 lead platform unlike AC Unity. Don't worry.

This coming from a guy who hopes Xbone is close to matching PS4 since I'm getting it on there.

Vroadstar

Well for one, ME has many more marketing partnerships in the pipelines. Also it seems like maybe this performance advantage might come from the more powerful CPU. If more devs opt to put more NPCs on screen for no reason like ACU...

Wow 10% or less upclock and now it's got a MORE powerful CPU and all that just based on ONE game which are both terrible, performance wise on both consoles...... meanwhile a 40% advantage on the other hand is called "slightly"

sinnergy

While Xbone has ~10% More CPU power, PS4 still has ~40% more powerful GPU which should be enough to counter any gains Xbone has from CPU in most cases. And even if we assume the Game use only CPU the difference should be less than 3 fps.

Except that you can't use a GPU for CPU tasks.. (not all tasks, some are suited )so in one or more areas it won't help. But for GPU specific tasks, PS4 should be better, depends on the engine and time the dev puts in.

sinnergy

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I didn't get watchdogs because 900p. I did not get AC:U because of 900p. I am glad I made that decision in both cases. I think at this point, 900p on PS4 means unoptimized, rushed garbage.

Couldn't you do the AI for the next frame while rendering current frame? Sort of double buffering the AI outputs?
Watch Dogs looked pretty nice, though, and delivered a very stable 30 fps with excellent motion blur.

I know how this works ;) not all tasks.. also my remark for a dev taking time ;)

You have to write your code different. Which means you have to adjust your workflow. Which can be a big undertaking, we won't see BIG uses of GPGPU for atleast 2-3 years but maybe even longer.

You read up on what it takes to make a game, than come back.

Well that wouldn't be a problem for a team of 10,000. Shit is, MS pushed the narrative and parity was forced. No time to optimize on the Sony end. They spent more time on the weaker hardware and it shows. For u to continue to insist that its a huge effort to use the GPGPU is quite hilarious. 2-3 years, haha just stop.

GHG

Gold Member
Here's the thing...

The game is supposedly CPU bound on consoles.

If that is the case and the PS4's GPU is 40-50% more powerful than the GPU in the XB1 then if they had increased the resolution to 1080p on the PS4 there would be minimal difference in performance compared to what it is now at 900p.

So the question is, why did they not at least increase the resolution on the PS4 considering the performance is piss poor at 900p anyway?

sinnergy

Well that wouldn't be a problem for a team of 10,000. Shit is, MS pushed the narrative and parity was forced. No time to optimize on the Sony end. They spent more time on the weaker hardware and it shows. For u to continue to insist that its a huge effort to use the GPGPU is quite hilarious. 2-3 years, haha just stop.

It would mean a even bigger undertaking... getting everyone aligned in such a big company. The bigger the companies the slower it all goes, maybe small teams have more luck.

Ill talk to you in 2-3 years.

JeffG

You have to write your code different. Which means you have to adjust your workflow. Which can be a big undertaking, we won't see BIG uses of GPGPU for atleast 2-3 years but maybe even longer.
Probably never for multi-plats.

It would add complications when developing across platforms. Way easier to treat the XBone and PS4's as PC's and not do anything specific.

Probably never for multi-plats.

It would add complications when developing across platforms. Way easier to treat the XBone and PS4's as PC's and not do anything specific.

All it takes is for 1 game to come out and put the industry on its knees in terms of technical performance. Gears of War did it when it debut on 360. Then Uncharted 2 set that benchmark along with God of War 3. I have a feeling Uncharted 4 will do the same at 1080p/60fps. Once it drops, no way will u see 3rd party developers put out games that won't compete with its performance. These guys have egos and too much pride. They will utilize the GPGPU. Who knows, maybe Sony will send their x team next time to help out haha.

d9b

Banned
So frame rate is very young on both PS4 and Xbox One? ... Late teens / early 20s.
Maybe give it a few months or a year to mature into 30s with the help of few patches, it might be taken more seriously. Until then = Ubisoft GTFO!

televator

So its even worse than parity?! Some how Ubi has managed to take their sacred cow franchise and make it run worse on the market leading, more powerful, and dev friendly console... What an unprecedented accomplishment. Wow!

So its even worse than parity?! Some how Ubi has managed to take their sacred cow franchise and make it run worse on the market leading, more powerful, and dev friendly console... What an unprecedented accomplishment. Wow!

Let alone where the franchise happens to sell more units on. AC sold more on PS than Xbox if i am not mistaken. They rushed it out for the holidays.

Cyborg

Why the hate guys between Xbox and PS4? Ubisoft fucked up cause both games run like shit. People should focus on that!

Mark Cerny specifically talked about aspects like GPGPU not having a huge impact until year 3 or 4 of the console. It's not going to happen as quickly as you think.

MavFan619

Banned
Why the hate guys between Xbox and PS4? Ubisoft fucked up cause both games run like shit. People should focus on that!
I'll leave this here https://account.xbox.com/gameclip/e16edbc8-a184-485f-8985-7f05d777b63b?gamertag=FbtmoPenguins&scid=03a80100-9ff3-46ea-be76-e00e7fe465df but yeah the game is just not running so admirably on either of these consoles for there to be a discussion of Xbones CPU being the reason it runs a little less shitty because it's running pretty bad regardless.

Ryoku

PS4 pushes ahead in cutscenes, where CPU isn't pushed as much as in the gameplay. Expected. However, I didn't figure the extra 175MHz on XB1's CPU would make for a huge difference--if that is indeed the reason behind the "better" performance.

I read in the article that Microsoft could possibly have a better compiler. How much of a difference could that make, realistically?

Putty

What an absolute embarrassment! And to think last year Black Flag had that day one patch to up the Rez and improve the AA technique on the PS4. Misterx now has another reason to keep his blog ticking over 8)

Applecot

Parity achieved. Just screw up both versions of them game, then nobody will ever want to touch it.

Can't wait for the 'excellence' of the PC version.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's not such a shock if you believe Ubisoft's claim that it's CPU limited. And given the nature of the game that doesn't seem so far-fetched.

True, it also matches the result of those Ubisoft tests, but it does seem weird considering other developers's comments about both CPU's in the past and both consoles's draw call cost (see Witcher 3 Tech Lead interview and earlier Bink benchmarks for example) which would count when you are dealing with lots of objects and would help the slower CPU.
Still their AI and animation code is probably the big decided there.

What about the rooftop scenes though? Open vistas with a much reduced NPC count...

I read once that the PS4 has 4.5 GB RAM for games and the XOne 5 GB, the rest of the memory is reserved for the OS.

Under some circumstances developer could use more RAM on PS4, but they can never rely on using more than 4.5 GB.

Taken together with the faster CPU of the XOne this would explain the performance difference.

Top Bottom