• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PT no longer downloadable in US (and EU/UK) even with license

Fury451

Banned
Wait please, someone help me understand... PT will stop working despite having it in my harddrive????

Don't delete it, or it's gone for good.

Edit: Just saw the latest news: lol.

So if you had PS+ when you got it, you're hosed anyways.

Scorched earth policy for P.T.

Flipyap

It was a free demo. Really surprised there's been so much uproar about it being removed.

Was a fun go through once, but not something I'm playing again.. when people talk about hallway simulators.. that's exactly what this is.
Not only is it a pretty great work of interactive art, it was also a one-of-a-kind event in the history of video games.
It's important to be able to preserve stuff like this.

Mikey Jr.

It was a free demo. Really surprised there's been so much uproar about it being removed.

Was a fun go through once, but not something I'm playing again.. when people talk about hallway simulators.. that's exactly what this is.

You are in the very small minority.

I loved pt and it was the perfect game to play with people who don't play video games.

It was just 2 analouge sticks pretty much. I played it with my parents and they loved it. It was simple, easy to grasp, and was scary as shit especially with 5.1 speakers.

Calling it a demo is a huge disservice.

I plan on showing my gf this game on Halloween. That should scare her nicely lol.

I'm never getting rid of pt ever.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
German PSN required PS+ to download the game for some reason. If you don't have a German account you're good. Just don't delete it off your HDD.
Ok good... but still, what the fuck are they thinking?

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
game journos asking Konami to clarify the whole expiration date deal. this is getting pretty silly.

I'm hoping the spin explores what we're giving up going all digital, since no one seems to be able to penetrate the actual story of the fist fight or whatever between Kojima and whomever.

jooso

Had to message my fiancee to download the damn demo while I was at work incase it wasn't on the hard drive. Luckily it was. The whole situation is still so ridiculous.

Too much of a pussy to play it alone, though.

Sylver

Banned
This is the first time that kind of thing happens on SEN Store, there are ton of demos that have been removed from PSN but you can download them as many times as you want.
Horrible precedent.

tmarques

Gott im Himmel!

If you didn't download it from the German PSN then you should be dandy.

For now.

Edit: I'm surprised Konami is pulling the plug on this right after announcing the cancellation of the project. Had they waited a few months, most people wouldn't be nearly as upset.

roknin

I don't think I've ever seen a situation where a company actively nuked their own work from orbit seemingly out of spite.

I'm going to make my girlfriend play it. I forgot how amazing the sound is in the game. My system isn't the best in the world but the thuds sound so real.

Hanmik

Wait, what's happening in December? I live in na.

I thought the Germans were the ones that are going to have trouble.

J6wZI78.gif

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Kinda obvious as they was pulled from the servers not just the store, still shitty none the less.

DryvBy

Had to message my fiancee to download the damn demo while I was at work incase it wasn't on the hard drive. Luckily it was. The whole situation is still so ridiculous.

Too much of a pussy to play it alone, though.

I played with my wife. It's absolutely terrifying going in without any idea what to do. Just crank the sound up and play when it's dark out.

To give you a background, I've never actually been so scared that I couldn't continue playing the game. P.T. has been the only thing that's done that. Eternal Darkness had a few elements before that were spooky, and Silent Hill has had some just freakin' weird themes to play through. But P.T. made me turn on the lights and take a break. It's horrific.

Guys, about the whole expiring date thing on german accounts, I'm pretty sure that it has nothing to do with the Konami affair and everything.
You won't be able to use it if your PS Plus runs out but it will remain installed on your PS4 HDD. It will most probably be playable again if you refresh your Plus subscription.

Xpliskin

Eh ?

Installed content can always be played offline, unless explicitly requiring a PSN connection, this is a rule in the SDK.

Kind of surprised at the reaction here. I assumed it would no longer be available to download after the cutoff date, even if previously DL'ed

Garlador

Preservation of culture matters immensely and there are thousands of years worth of precedent to attest to that.

Reality check.

Agreed.

When film was young, no one cared about the preservation of film. Great works of movie art were destroyed or lost, and now decades later we're wishing we had preserved those influential films for future generations, rather than letting them get devoured by time.

And here I see history repeated with video games. The destruction of culture, of interactive art, of history, and of the impact and experience they brought with them.

I'm a strong advocate for game preservation... so this hurts me greatly.

Bingo. However I'm not surprised that some are finding ways to defend this at all.
There's always someone will defend anything. The sad part is these aren't people just playing "devil's advocates." There are legitimately people who think this is ok because it's "just video games."

Daggoth

Kind of surprised at the reaction here. I assumed it would no longer be available to download after the cutoff date, even if previously DL'ed
As far as I know, this is the first, or one of the first items to behave this way. Plenty of other stuff has been pulled from the store, but is still downloadable for those who have the licence on their account.

It's surprising to me, at least.

Seriously, fuck Konami. PT was great, even if I haven't been brave enough to go around more than a few times!

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
And here I see history repeated with video games. The destruction of culture, of interactive art, of history, and of the impact and experience they brought with them.

I'm a strong advocate for game preservation... so this hurts me greatly.

Games are not only being lost to future generations of players because of the all-digital elimination of physical product, they are being atomized completely--from discreet singular works to a collections of servers and services, DLC and patch bits, energy meters, and marketplace mods all available at microtransaction and/or subscription prices.

I'm just going to rent Metal Gear Solid 5 and not give Konami my $60 for this BS!
I'm not trolling, but P.T is one of best Next-Gen games available and this is really making me mad :mad:

There's always someone will defend anything. The sad part is these aren't people just playing "devil's advocates." There are legitimately people who think this is ok because it's "just video games."
My favorite logic leap is the logic that including an adapter with the new 3DS XL would make it cost more than $200.
People will defend anything...

My favorite logic leap is the logic that including an adapter with the new 3DS XL would make it cost more than $200.
People will defend anything...
I loved that one too! I remember hearing people say to "go on Craigslist" and "get one from a friend." There's truly a defense/excuse for everything.

Vanguard

My main UK account has lost all traces of it, it's not in the Download List or Media tab in Account Management on the website... my other UK account still has it though in both places (and no expiry), just find it odd it's now MIA on one of them?

P.T. is a work of art, just like anything else, that several people worked on to bring a vision to life. So many people enjoyed it. It may be technically short, but it's stuffed with a lot of detail and seemingly random variables, which added to the fear factor; it tapped into the fear of the unknown. The rights may belong to Konami, but hey, what if Disney decided that nobody's allowed to ever watch Bambi again because the CEO is mad at the director or some of the animators?

Whether they have the rights or despite how much they hate Kojima for whatever fucking reason, P.T. is a collaborative effort that was given to us. If they're truly taking away the fun and experience of an artistic work because they're upset at Kojima, they're a bunch of goddamned children that simply don't value art, or as the guy I quoted stated, the preservation of culture.

This may have been a short demo and I'll live, but if they're capable of this, what else are they capable of? Or other companies? I know people have been made fun of for cursing the digital system over this one thing, but it's not just this one thing. Konami can't come to my house and take my copy of Silent Hill 3 from me, but if Silent Hill 3 were a digital only game with any semblance of DRM and this happened, I mean, imagine that.

16BitNova

And people say just delete things off your hard drive when it gets full. Ha! Never! Will just continue to upgrade and keep all my stuff thank you very much.

Top Bottom