• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PT no longer downloadable in US (and EU/UK) even with license

I already have it on my ps4 but i'm feeling quite paranoid. PT is a legit horror masterpiece, and i don't want to lose it if my ps4 has a hardware failure or something in the future. Any way to back it up onto an external hdd just in case??

As far as I know, this is the first, or one of the first items to behave this way. Plenty of other stuff has been pulled from the store, but is still downloadable for those who have the licence on their account.

It's surprising to me, at least.

Seriously, fuck Konami. PT was great, even if I haven't been brave enough to go around more than a few times!

ah, I didn't realize. Don't think I have ever tried to download a delisted game on PSN. I agree it is a great experience. Luckily, it doesn't take up much HDD space, so don't plan on ever getting rid of it.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
2015-05-0617_02_27-tolfq4g.png

Being honest with myself, I was too scared to actually play it through. I thought having experience with Silent Hill 1-3 would prepare me for this one, but yeah...hell no. Even watching a play through of it on YouTube is difficult.

topplehat

I had this in my download queue for like a week, and wondered why it wouldn't download when I turned on my PS4 yesterday. Konami what is your deal these days? MGSV and then I'm done with you guys.

RSB

Banned
Not only is it a pretty great work of interactive art, it was also a one-of-a-kind event in the history of video games.
It's important to be able to preserve stuff like this.
Exactly. Even more so when we are talking about a masterpiece like PT.

This whole situation is seriously fucked up. Sad.

Really though the only thing helping me sleep at night is that this is all another Kojima conspiracy and that the head transplant doctor will say "Did you rike it?" and Silent Hills releases simultaneously with MGSV and oh god it's really cancelled isn't it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That would be so evil, but no way they'd do this. Getting a patch through Sony's QA would cost them a whole bunch of money, right?
Precisely. They might be able to add an expiration to it but they won't waste money patching the game to kill it.

I'm downloading now in my friends PS4 by logging my account. Can i back up my account with this game from my friends PS4 to Ext HDD and restore later in my PS4?

It is fucked up since rise of digital distribution, online DRM and shit. That's why i always, if possible, buy games in physical form on consoles. Always. It's also reason why i'm not buying anything on Steam (GOG is a bit different story). Fuck Digital Distribution. And of course #Fuck_Konami

I'm curious how useful will be my account on XBLA or PSN in twenty years? I doubt that companies like Microsoft or Sony will be keeping our paid content on theirs servers. I'm certain that in that relatively not so far future i will not be able to download my stuff.
I still can play my Atari 2600 games today...

Khaz

Well, the copyright owner has all the right to allow or prohibit the distribution of their creation. What they can't to is take away copies that people have bought: JK Rowling can stop the presses, but can't go to your house and take your copies of Harry Potter.

It's similar with digital distribution. Regardless of what publishers say about "licenses granted", they can't stop people who bought it to download it. Furthermore the content provider has an obligation to provide content. It's why while you can't buy Outrun 2006 on Steam any more, you can still download it if you bought it back in the days.

This work may be in sort of a grey area as it was "free". But one could argue that there is no need for an exchange of money to acquire something: a contract had to be made in order for the customer to access the work, a contract which is now breached by the content provider.

No one will probably bother because it was "free". But had it been paid for, that would have been a very lucrative lawsuit.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
We call it a demo because that's what it is.
It was not a demo. Demo is supposed to demonstrate a complete game. This was on the other hand a standalone mini-game that for all we know had nothing in common with how actual Silent Hills would play, but it was indeed a teaser ad for it.

Neff

P.T. is a work of art, just like anything else, that several people worked on to bring a vision to life. So many people enjoyed it. It may be technically short, but it's stuffed with a lot of detail and seemingly random variables, which added to the fear factor; it tapped into the fear of the unknown. The rights may belong to Konami, but hey, what if Disney decided that nobody's allowed to ever watch Bambi again because the CEO is mad at the director or some of the animators?

Whether they have the rights or despite how much they hate Kojima for whatever fucking reason, P.T. is a collaborative effort that was given to us. If they're truly taking away the fun and experience of an artistic work because they're upset at Kojima, they're a bunch of goddamned children that simply don't value art, or as the guy I quoted stated, the preservation of culture.

This may have been a short demo and I'll live, but if they're capable of this, what else are they capable of? Or other companies? I know people have been made fun of for cursing the digital system over this one thing, but it's not just this one thing. Konami can't come to my house and take my copy of Silent Hill 3 from me, but if Silent Hill 3 were a digital only game with any semblance of DRM and this happened, I mean, imagine that.

It is a piece of art, and a damn good one, but it's also worth remembering that it's also a piece of promotion, given to us for free, solely to get us to spend money at a later date. And soon it will contradict advertising laws.

If they just take out the ending with the 'Silent Hills coming soon', 'Hideo Kojima', 'Guillermo del Toro', 'Norman Reedus' stuff, then they could probably legally leave it up, or print it on a Silent Hill fan disc or something (and I'm not even convinced that we won't see a new SH game from Konami yet). But I'm guessing that a lot of PS4 owners have been downloading this demo over the last nine months, which is probably a lot of bandwidth to foot the bill for against a big fat zero return after the game's cancellation. Nipping it in the bud now covers Konami/Sony's bases from an advertising and cost perspective.

I'm just going to rent Metal Gear Solid 5 and not give Konami my $60 for this BS!
I'm not trolling, but P.T is one of best Next-Gen games available and this is really making me mad :mad:

I was tempted to avatar quote you...

I can understand removing a teaser of a game that will never come out. On the other hand though, you were the first that made a Playable Teaser right after announcing some details behind a huge project... It would be awesome if other devs made more Playable teasers.

Justified

Well, the copyright owner has all the right to allow or prohibit the distribution of their creation. What they can't to is take away copies that people have bought: JK Rowling can stop the presses, but can't go to your house and take your copies of Harry Potter.

It's similar with digital distribution. Regardless of what publishers say about "licenses granted", they can't stop people who bought it to download it. Furthermore the content provider has an obligation to provide content. It's why while you can't buy Outrun 2006 on Steam any more, you can still download it if you bought it back in the days.

This work may be in sort of a grey area as it was "free". But one could argue that there is no need for an exchange of money to acquire something: a contract had to be made in order for the customer to access the work, a contract which is now breached by the content provider.

No one will probably bother because it was "free". But had it been paid for, that would have been a very lucrative lawsuit.

Not necessarily. Nintendo did this with Yoshi's Cookie, Amazon did this with some eBooks. Sony will be doing this with PSM games (After Sept, 10 you cant re-download them) Some people stated it happen with XBLA games (I cant confirm though). All paid content where currency was exchanged.

Point is you are not buying the content, but a license to consume the content. A license they can revoke within a 'reasonable" time period. Its sick, but thats how it currently is.

Its possible it can be challenge, but who ever does so, will be up against every Digital Distribution operation, because they ALL have language like that. I'm 99% sure it will not be lucrative, in fact I'm sure anyone of the Digital Distro companies will file motion after motion to bankrupt any challenger.

It is a piece of art, and a damn good one, but it's also worth remembering that it's also a piece of promotion, given to us for free, solely to get us to spend money at a later date. And soon it will contradict advertising laws.

If they just take out the ending with the 'Silent Hills coming soon', 'Hideo Kojima', 'Guillermo del Toro', 'Norman Reedus' stuff, then they could probably legally leave it up, or print it on a Silent Hill fan disc or something (and I'm not even convinced that we won't see a new SH game from Konami yet). But I'm guessing that a lot of PS4 owners have been downloading this demo over the last nine months, which is probably a lot of bandwidth to foot the bill for against a big fat zero return after the game's cancellation. Nipping it in the bud now covers Konami/Sony's bases from an advertising and cost perspective.

I can't defend this because it's not my fault or the fault of the consumers that Konami even gave the greenlight to the game in the first place to the point where they released a playable demo to the masses. As a company it's their responsibility to make these decisions, and getting it to the point where everyone's excited and they got people to pour work into something and then yanking it is incredibly irresponsible.

Maybe they should have thought this through before they got the ball rolling. If anything it just further proves their incompetence. You don't create something, get people excited, and then bury it in the dirt. If the budget was too much for them, oh well, they should have bit the bullet and learned from their mistake instead of taking it out on us.

If the budget were too high, did they seriously not have the intelligence to say no before anything even got going? If the project were truly unreasonable, they could have at least gimped it in some ways by either taking del Toro off, limiting the budget for Kojima Productions, etc. Sure, people would have still been pissed off, but not this bad and the game still probably would have turned out to be good.

My PS4 will forever be my PT machine. Years into the future, like pulling out the nes from the attic to play mario, I'll be dusting off my PS4 to play PT.

Kaiken

Banned
I wonder if I can somewhat put up an argument that I was not notified (via my account email) that this was going to be pulled after I deleted it to clean up some space. Not a big deal but makes me worry about everything else I've removed thinking I can always download it again later down the road. Digital future my ass.

Mandoric

Banned
I was tempted to avatar quote you...

I can understand removing a teaser of a game that will never come out. On the other hand though, you were the first that made a Playable Teaser right after announcing some details behind a huge project... It would be awesome if other devs made more Playable teasers.

While I doubt other devs would cop quite as much fanboy rage when they took down their nonrepresentative teaser, they'd still be on the receiving end of quite a bit; this thread is packed full of people who've somehow missed the past few decades of games, even digital games, going away forever and are convinced that not offering extra copies indefinitely is a tort.

So really, apart from Early Access hype-cashing-in (and we've seen how justifiably disappointed people get THERE when major revisions occur) offering something like this is a lose/lose; the only explanation I can see for this one slipping out the door is something similar to the "lost" MML3 teaser where the losing side in a debate over whether to continue development was attempting a hail mary.

Neff

I can't defend this because it's not my fault or the fault of the consumers that Konami even gave the greenlight to the game in the first place to the point where they released a playable demo to the masses. As a company it's their responsibility to make these decisions, and getting it to the point where everyone's excited and they got people to pour work into something and then yanking it is incredibly irresponsible.

Maybe they should have thought this through before they got the ball rolling. If anything it just further proves their incompetence. You don't create something, get people excited, and then bury it in the dirt. If the budget was too much for them, oh well, they should have bit the bullet and learned from their mistake instead of taking it out on us.

If the budget were too high, did they seriously not have the intelligence to say no before anything even got going? If the project were truly unreasonable, they could have at least gimped it in some ways by either taking del Toro off, limiting the budget for Kojima Productions, etc. Sure, people would have still been pissed off, but not this bad and the game still probably would have turned out to be good.

I'm sure the decision to initiate such a huge project wasn't taken lightly, just as I'm sure all parties involved -including Konami management- were dedicated to seeing it through at the time of inception. My guess is that after Kojima's working relationship with them fell apart, Konami realised that without his name or involvement, it was going to be much less marketable, and got cold feet. That said, I still wouldn't be surprised to see Silent Hills in some form one day (assuming they actually started work on it), because Konami is at least smart enough to recognise the strength of SH as an IP.

rrrnzr

Neo Member
FYI, i just tried to download it via the playstation 4 library. not sure if it is working, but it is downloading something called P.T. with 1.355 gigs at least. german psn account!

I'm tempted to see the ending cause I'm so shook playing haha

But I'll put my big boy pants on and try to finish.

For those that finished the demo/tease
I made it to the part after getting the flashlight and the fetus in the sink, then got shook cause that ghost turns off the lights in the hallway

How far am I ?

KJRS_1993

There's always someone will defend anything. The sad part is these aren't people just playing "devil's advocates." There are legitimately people who think this is ok because it's "just video games."

But it is "just" video games? I mean, it's shitty, yeah, but lots of things are shitty. What you gonna do about it?

Also, I didn't defend anything. So cut that stupid crap out dude.

Edit:
Preservation of culture matters immensely and there are thousands of years worth of precedent to attest to that.

Preservation of culture? Erm, really? It's a teaser for a cancelled video game.
Some of you guys take this stuff to the next level.

Pillville

Aren't physical discs these days just checks anyway?

No. That was the original XB1 plan before the backlash, and they changed it.

(but with so many games with online requirements and patches needed to make them work correctly, the only thing disks are good for is trading and selling)

SerTapTap

Preservation of culture? Erm, really? It's a teaser for a cancelled video game.

Preservation of culture? Erm, really? It's black liquid on dead trees.

Preservation of culture? Erm, really? It's crushed pigment wiped on canvas.

Preservation of culture? Erm, really? It's a bunch of sounds arranged to be played in a specific manner.

Ridiculous. Do you even know what culture means?

Top Bottom