• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted Collection demo up in PS Store Worldwide

and then what? You cancelled your 2 day shipping order and changed it to Day 1 shipping? :p
i'm purchasing nathan drake, but only as a birthday gift.
Then what did you do?
wondered whether I should purchase it on amazon or ebay.
fc,220x200,white.u1.jpg
confused_black_girl_vector_by_flyingsandwich-d84igqa.png

That's stating the fucking obvious for a 8 year old game.

I was specifically talking about you. Uncharted 1 is a 8 year old game. And the way you said it with in the other thread with the Michael Jordan face on your comment comes off drive by/trolling, and people didn't even comment because of it.

Did he give valid "technical" reasons why? There's a difference in giving an opinion on something, it's another to actually give details on why you didn't like something. Like did the motion blur make it look like crap on your tv, or do the outdated animations in Uncharted 1 show more with higher IQ.
Do the changes in camera for shooting affect how it plays?

You gave a drive by shit post in a previous thread that was previewing the game like this thread is previewing the demo.
If they game has it's issues then at least explain them on a technical level, don't just say I don;t like it, or it doesn't hold up well.

Especially when we have Digital Foundry thread's that go into detail technically.
People are not asking for that here, we are asking on specifics with examples, and most of the people who may have not liked it or are getting jumped on, are getting jumped on because of lack of explanation.

Because I think this poster is who your referring too:

That is not a good post. That's almost a drive by post. ANyone can come in and go I think the game plays like shit. Ok. Please explain, why you think it plays like shit?

And that's why people jumped on him.

Comment's like that will rustle feathers even though people should just ignore them if they can't intelligently explain themselves.

I didnt know one of the criteria for posting your opinion on gaf is to get all technical with it.

breh i just watched the video that was linked saw the gameplay of Uncharted 1 and i thought it looked bad so i expressed my opinion thats it...

i aint out here looking to rustle jimmies

It is from a friends YT channel, everything is legit. Still laughing with him over FB chat! :)
I just love the bait step that seems to make her step off, the pause, then the no-look, casually concerned "Chloe..!". Too good.

BTW, I may abandon motion blur come full release. I can't stand the screen blurring everytime the camera does an auto-move for stealth takedowns. It's too jarring during that window ledge takedown as I mentioned earlier (tried both MB options now). Anyone else?

Well from a remaster perspective this seems really solid. Runs great and looks great. Only visual issues I have are some iffy rendered cutscenes (the opening cutscene in the demo is pre-rendered right?) and the increased IQ makes the backgrounds look more cardboard cut-out then they did in 720p on PS3.

Gameplay wise though this has not aged well. Entering "aim" mode feels sluggish and the way Nate moves around the environment feels rough and unpolished. Naughty Dog came a huge way between this and TLOU. I had also forgotten how poor the gameplay scenario design is (enemy placement and flow of firefights). I remember playing through Uncharted 1 many times early on when it was one of the few games I had for PS3. By Uncharted 2 though the series had become one that is great the first time through, but much weaker on replays. This is probably going to be a budget purchase for me.

Actually hurts my interest in Uncharted 4 a bit. I really hope this series shows some evolution in gameplay as the linear set-piece driven shooters that the series has been comprised of so far just don't stand out like they used to. More games are becoming cinematically competent (the series biggest draw) and the gameplay under the spectacle is just lackluster here. I know ND can do it though as TLOU has much more diverse gameplay despite its similarly hyper-linear structure though what we've seen of U4 so far doesn't foster hope.

For what it is worth, I think these games are easily worth a play through and the value is good for someone new to the series.

I just love the bait step that seems to make her step off, the pause, then the no-look, casually concerned "Chloe..!". Too good.

It's like it was scripted, a plot twist. Love when something like this happens in video games.

On topic:

Can't wait for the NDC collector's edition to arrive. Will platinum all 3 again with great pleasure. Is it just me or did it take some time to adjust to the 60fps fellas?

zsynqx

Well from a remaster perspective this seems really solid. Runs great and looks great. Only visual issues I have are some iffy rendered cutscenes (the opening cutscene in the demo is pre-rendered right?) and the increased IQ makes the backgrounds look more cardboard cut-out then they did in 720p on PS3.

Gameplay wise though this has not aged well. Entering "aim" mode feels sluggish and the way Nate moves around the environment feels rough and unpolished. Naughty Dog came a huge way between this and TLOU. I had also forgotten how poor the gameplay scenario design is (enemy placement and flow of firefights). I remember playing through Uncharted 1 many times early on when it was one of the few games I had for PS3. By Uncharted 2 though the series had become one that is great the first time through, but much weaker on replays. This is probably going to be a budget purchase for me.

Actually hurts my interest in Uncharted 4 a bit. I really hope this series shows some evolution in gameplay as the linear set-piece driven shooters that the series has been comprised of so far just don't stand out like they used to. More games are becoming cinematically competent (the series biggest draw) and the gameplay under the spectacle is just lackluster here. I know ND can do it though as TLOU has much more diverse gameplay despite its similarly hyper-linear structure though what we've seen of U4 so far doesn't foster hope.

For what it is worth, I think these games are easily worth a play through and the value is good for someone new to the series.

Watch the psx demo. Looks like last of us combat design with Uncharted mobility...and ropes

Watch the psx demo. Looks like last of us combat design with Uncharted mobility...and ropes
Will do. Been a while since I saw some new stuff on the game and I know I missed this one.

EDIT: Oh wait, I have seen this video. I like the move to more open areas and increase of movement during firefights is nice but I still remain skeptical the gameplay will be very interesting. I want more systems to be in play. Christ it is pretty though. Damn. Overall hype recovery: +1

Was there always such strong sticky aim on the helicopter? I don't recall it being there before, and it actively interferes with hitting it with the grenade launcher because you often need to lead your shots. Really weird.

Was there always such strong sticky aim on the helicopter? I don't recall it being there before, and it actively interferes with hitting it with the grenade launcher because you often need to lead your shots. Really weird.
I'm almost positive that's exactly how it felt in the PS3 version. I beat it a couple times and I always struggled for some reason to properly lead the chopper into the grenade arc.

zsynqx

Will do. Been a while since I saw some new stuff on the game and I know I missed this one.

EDIT: Oh wait, I have seen this video. I like the move to more open areas and increase of movement during firefights is nice but I still remain skeptical the gameplay will be very interesting. I want more systems to be in play. Christ it is pretty though. Damn. Overall hype recovery: +1

Yer I was very skeptical for an uncharted 4 when it was first announced but honestly, and this may sound kind of mean, when the uncharted 3 guys got the boot and TLOU leads took over it actually got me way more pumped. That is because I feel TLOU both mechanically and narratively is far superior to the past Uncharted games.

Couple thoughts:

1. Coming from playing primarily MGS V for about a month to this is harsh. Uncharted has never been a showpiece when it came to shooting mechanics but it feels super loose/swimmy coming from The Phantom Pain. Won't be an issue starting from Drake's Fortune and playing these altogether but it stands out right now.

2. Looks stunning. Some of the textures are startling. Bluepoint did a great job getting it to this condition. Great (partial) level to showcase a little bit of everything that Uncharted offers. I've missed Nate so much.

3. I Plat'd the trilogy before but I actually think this is kind of a tough level for someone unfamiliar with the series to start off with. I hope no one who was interested gets frustrated or turned off because you're thrusted in to this situation right off the bat. Maybe I'm just way out of practice with Uncharted right now though.

Can't wait for next week!

EhoaVash

Never really played these games but I liked the graphics other than characters them selves which looked a bit odd. they have too much bloom goig on. Gameplay ..was a bit boring to be honest lol. I do like certain cinamatic camera angles. But yeah it was boring .guess I'll skip this collection. Might skip unncharted 4 too.

TitusTroy

I bought a PS4 specifically for Bloodborne so never having played any of the Uncharted games I'm really looking forward to this...getting all 3 games for $60 is a great deal as well...downloading the demo now...

Revven

I played around for a bit. Lots of the bugs in the PS3 version are still there.

https://youtu.be/I_YCDJCaip0

Not surprised, they probably felt most of them either won't be triggered by someone casually playing through the game so it's not worth the time to fix them. Plus the chances of causing something else to break in the process (which has happened in Uncharted before... mainly multiplayer lol).

I'm sure speedrunners of the games will be happy to some degree.

Windforce

Downloading now.

Not sure I'll buy the full version though. Already have a triple Platinum for Uncharted, not sure I want to replay it that many times again for the trophies, not to mention how much stress I could be in for with the new difficulty (especially Uncharted 1, I find it really hard). Besides, I'm so damn busy between Destiny and TSO: Tamriel Unlimited.

Uncharted 2 and 3 are really fun campaigns though, I'll think about it.

Yeah it seemed a bit buggy in my playthrough of the demo as well. Lots of dropped animations during the melee combat (the enemy would react but Nathan would suddenly pop out of the punching animation, happened a few times) and just some strange bugs that made the demo feel a little...unstable.

Bloodrage

Banned
having played any of the Uncharted games I'm really looking forward to this...getting all 3 games for $60 is a great deal as well...downloading the demo now...
All three games are just so good I'm jealous of you. I wish I was experiencing them for the first time all over again. 60fps and tweaked controls/aiming will be a big difference though, so at least I'll have that.

Noobcraft

Holy shit you should be a QA tester. If you're not already .
I had a friend that worked at Naughty Dog for a bit QA testing UC3. There was a glitch with the shield in UC3 that allowed you to "airwalk" that I showed him during the beta. It was fixed in the retail version. I don't think I could afford living in LA to work at Naughty Dog even if they did offer me a position.

Pif

Banned
I'm gonna get slaughtered in here by saying I miss an option to run the game at 30fps.

Feels strange and "arcadey". Like it better with frame pacing that approaches movie. Also ignored 60fps in TloU.

I'm almost positive that's exactly how it felt in the PS3 version. I beat it a couple times and I always struggled for some reason to properly lead the chopper into the grenade arc.

I don't remember it actively annoying me before, weird. Regardless, I hope they can tweak it at some point.

finally got to play it.. i legit i missed UC2 ever since i sold it so this got me excited to play through the story again

I'm gonna get slaughtered in here by saying I miss an option to run the game at 30fps.

Feels strange and "arcadey". Like it better with frame pacing that approaches movie. Also ignored 60fps in TloU.

it did feel weird at first but i got used to it after a couple of minutes.

they should add the option to switch tho.

daman824

They tightened up the aiming in all of the games.
Still not enough imo. TLOU got quite a bit closer to where the actual aiming (not freedom of movement) should be in an uncharted game.

And the average-below average shooting only makes the bullet sponge (only way to kill without emptying multiple clips into them is getting multiple headshot) enemies more noticeable.

That combined with the horrible enemy encounters that plagued all three games where you would be stuck in a room and have wave after wave of enemies thrown at you with no checkpoints until the very end (albeit it got better in each consecutive game) means I'm not going to pick this up until it's a bit cheaper.

I think uncharted 4 is going to be incredible though. If only because the only poor part of the last few games was the actual combat encounters (imo) and they seem to be improving that the most

While I've always loved the Uncharted series I was a little surprised how stiff the gameplay in the Uncharted 2 demo felt. Fortunately it's never been the gameplay that drew me to the series. The acting, story, and presentation have always made up for the game's short comings IMO. Looking forward to 4, and picking up the collection after I finish up some of my backlog.

dci260

Just played the demo and the gunplay was fine, but the movement felt a little off to me. I was having trouble making Drake run in the smoothly animated circles that I used to, and this was more so apparent when walking along ledges since the controls felt a little awkward. Most of my issues appeared to occur when moving by pushing the left stick to the right or to the upper-right. Here's hoping that all the choppiness gets ironed out before release.

Just played the demo and the gunplay was fine, but the movement felt a little off to me. I was having trouble making Drake run in the smoothly animated circles that I used to, and this was more so apparent when walking along ledges since the controls felt a little awkward. Most of my issues appeared to occur when moving by pushing the left stick to the right or to the upper-right. Here's hoping that all the choppiness gets ironed out before release.

Havnt played the demo yet, but your left analog stick might be fucked up. One of my dual shock 4s left analog stick won't register in that same spot. It's a well known problem with the controller.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

The controllers at my local gamestop's kiosk have that issue, to the point where the games are unplayable. The ones i own personally i've never had an issue with though.

HardRojo

Played through the demo a couple of times today. Man is it hard to go back to Uncharted after the tighter and more refined controls from The Last of Us. I felt Drake was way too "floaty" to control and the aiming wasn't completely tight. I wonder if they felt that way back when I played on PS3. Anyway, those were the only downsides I found and hopefully they'll iron them out by release. Presentation is marvelous and the 60 fps feel great. Don't have an opinion regarding motion blur though, will have to test further after the game comes out.

Just tried demo (only played GA before), i thought gunplay was fine, platforming was standard but Drake's movement seemed unnatural to me. Looks solid but i think i will wait for price drop because of my poor wallet but definitely day 1 for Uncharted 4 :)

I thought the demo looked and played great at 1080p 60fps. I had no issues with controls other than accidentally pressing square to reload and wishing I could use the gyroscopes to aim like in Golden Abyss, but that's me.

Drake's face looked a bit odd, though - He's got some very angry expressions that I don't remember being so prominent in the PS3 version. Perhaps something to do with his eyebrows, maybe it's just photo mode. His inner mouth is very dark in cutscenes, too. Anyway, I've already got the collectors edition pre-ordered and will platinum all 3 of them again.

HardRojo

Ah yeah, forgot to point out Photo Mode is weird. Framerate is jarring and for some reason when you activate vignette or film grain the image becomes darker/blurrier, don't know how to describe it exactly.

zsynqx

Yer, bullet sponge issues are real in the Uncharted series (if exaggerated by many) but this demo was really not representative of that at all. All enemies go down fast and if anything the 60fps made it too easy to land headshots and take enemies down very quick. Maybe they should have introduced hitmarkers into this collection, like they have in TLOU and UC4 so people know when their shots are hitting.

Top Bottom