• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted Collection demo up in PS Store Worldwide

Game4life

Banned
I've never really compared gears to uncharted myself. uncharteds traversal is quite a bit more varied with jumping, vaulting, rolling, hanging, climbing, stealth, verticality, yanking guys off ledges etc etc. I think naturally Gears is going to feel a little more grounded and tight since the core gameplay is more focused.

Gears level design could not feel more banal. UC2 has so many amazing levels , the convoy, the train level, that combines verticality, platforming and shooting simultaneously. Gears on the other hand just feels like a standard stop and pop shooter in a genre that has worn out its welcome if the focus is solely on cover shooting.

No, thanks. They tried that in Uncharted 3 and I wasn't a big fan of it. It broke the pacing for me (UC2 has the best pacing IMHO).

Yeah. UC2's pacing is at RE4 tier of awesome. I would say it is infact slightly better in the pacing department. UC2, RE4., MGS3 etc.. are rare games that keep surprising you with its level design and pacing. UC2 is the only legitimately great game in the franchise.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
No, thanks. They tried that in Uncharted 3 and I wasn't a big fan of it. It broke the pacing for me (UC2 has the best pacing IMHO).
Ironically that why I rate U3 higher then U2, I loved the puzzles.

Loudninja

That was quick. lol

Different games with different strengths.

Heard Greg and Colin say they didn't touch up UC1's shooting, can anyone confirm? Seems like a missed opportunity.
It has been confirmed many times now,the shooting is the same across all the games.

DF even mentions it.

At a basic level, performance and image quality are absolutely on point, but the developer's enhancements go way beyond just that. On top of the improvements brought about by the move to a higher frame-rate, the studio has tweaked the control system so the experience there feels fresh and new. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune benefits the most here, its controls brought more into line with its siblings, but all games in the package feel so much more satisfying to play, thanks in no small part to the reduced input latency.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...on-with-uncharted-the-nathan-drake-collection

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
That was quick. lol

Heard Greg and Colin say they didn't touch up UC1's shooting, can anyone confirm? Seems like a missed opportunity.

I couldn't understand them saying that. It's been confirmed many times that the shooting has been improved.

edit: Beaten.

sam777

Gears level design could not feel more banal. UC2 has so many amazing levels , the convoy, the train level, that combines verticality, platforming and shooting simultaneously. Gears on the other hand just feels like a standard stop and pop shooter in a genre that has worn out its welcome if the focus is solely on cover shooting.

Yet Gears of Wars shooting and cover system mechanics is still unmatched to this day.
But level design wise, I agree Uncharted is better.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Ironically that why I rate U3 higher then U2, I loved the puzzles.
There's nothing ironic about it. Puzzles in UC3 required actual thinking, therefore they are objectively better at being, well, puzzles. UC2 puzzle rooms were simple exercises in tedium, as a toddler could figure out what needs to be done in them within a minute.

Do you know what did they mean by that? That the enemies take the same amounts of bullets to go down, or that the aiming acceleration feels the same, or something else?

jbTMhY2.jpg

C8vNApV.jpg

I never realized until today the Chloe carried her own customized gun

It has been confirmed many times now,the shooting is the same across all the games.

DF even mentions it.

I couldn't understand them saying that. It's been confirmed many times that the shooting has been improved.

edit: Beaten.

Thanks guys - I thought it didn't sound right.

Excited to get my hands on them all again. Played them all back-to back a couple of years ago and fancy doing the same again.

Persona7

Banned
I wonder if they fixed the bridge glitch in Uncharted 2. I had that issue and it wouldn't let me progress until it randomly set a checkpoint and re-loading the level a few times.

Uncharted and Gears comparisons?

lmao what year is this?!

Good demo. made me realize it's been a long time since I've played a game with good vertical gunplay. Really wish they included U2 or U3 MP or at the very least split screen co-op modes

Vire

Hmm.. the demo had the opposite effect of what I was intending. Game actually looks worse than I remember (aside from the obvious framerate boost).

Weird too because I know how much extra work was put into the textures, I just don't think it holds up.

Revven

Do you know what did they mean by that? That the enemies take the same amounts of bullets to go down, or that the aiming acceleration feels the same, or something else?

I bet you they were talking about the angle Drake is aiming at which is not what they changed. They changed the actual aiming mechanics, the stuff with the deadzone, acceleration, etc etc. Not the angle Drake is shooting, that's the same. So it's easy to then say the rest is the same just because of the angle, but it's not the same as it was on the PS3.

But then I don't have any context and I'm just guessing on what they meant.

Plus, how would a couple of journalists even notice the differences when it took GAF to point out UC3 had aiming and shooting problems? All while those same people (the reviewers) gave UC3 high scores with nary a mention of the aiming/shooting mechanics being awful on day 1.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The best thing about this collection IMO will be that UC3 will finally shine the way it was supposed to. Resolution and AA will do the justice its amazing graphics and art direction, the aiming won't be slightly weird like it was on PS3, and the 60FPS will ensure that the input lag will be minimal. I really think the input lag in UC3 is what made its aiming basically impossible to match the smoothness offered by UC2.

I bet you they were talking about the angle Drake is aiming at which is not what they changed. They changed the actual aiming mechanics, the stuff with the deadzone, acceleration, etc etc. Not the angle Drake is shooting, that's the same.
That was my thought as well, because that's definitely not changed.

That was quick. lol

??? I'm pretty sure the developers themselves said they all shared UC2s shooting mechanics and feel. If they got that wrong on PS I Love Yous first ever podcast I'll have to hit them hard over Twitter.

Played the demo.

Game looks great and the controls are as i remember. The camera takes getting use to, though.

My biggest problem are the audio glitches. There's a bunch of times where there's suppose to be dialogue, but nothing. Like the Marco Polo bit.

viHuGi

Banned
Tried the demo, it's the first time I've played any Uncharted game.

Basically every opinion I held about the series was confirmed.

It's a simple floaty shooter with gigantic setpieces where your biggest contribution is holding up on the left stick and occasionally pressing A. Also the banter between Chloe and Drake was quite irritating because it felt like every line that could be jammed in there was jammed in there. Nearly quit when I jumped into the pool and the marco polo dialogue went exactly as I expected.

Anyway, I'm glad this demo came out and let me confirm that this series is not for me. In fact I'm pretty sure a lot of people like it because they didn't play the better controlling TPS series - Gears of War.

It looked pretty good for a PS3 port though.

As a huge Gears of War fan and one that got seriously 1.0 first than most and bought every single one including special editions I don't agree at all.

They are different,just that. Both are amazing.

That was quick. lol

They didn't explicitly say that they didn't touch up the shooting, just said that they didn't make any changes to UC1 gameplay. I'm pretty sure they are wrong and just aren't informed because Bluepoint/ND have specifically stated that they did apply updated and uniform shooting across all games

Played the demo.

Game looks great and the controls are as i remember. The camera takes getting use to, though.

My biggest problem are the audio glitches. There's a bunch of times where there's suppose to be dialogue, but nothing. Like the Marco Polo bit.
You would hope that works in the retail version since isn't there a Trophy for that?

Revven

Played the demo.

Day 1 patch probably fixes stuff like this.

fastmower

I don't know what some of you guys are talking about. The controls are smooth, the shooting is tight, feels fantastic. This is going to be some much fun at to play at 60fps.

viHuGi

Banned
I don't know what some of you guys are talking about. The controls are smooth, the shooting is tight, feels fantastic. This is going to be some much fun at to play at 60fps.

Gaf is too negative as always, don't worry this game is nuts and Will be Amazing to see Uc3 desert at 1080/60!

Looks current gen =)

daman824

I definitely wish they would have updated the graphics more. Game definitely looked a bit dated.

I also wish they would have tightened up the aiming. Would have really helped with the horrible encounters in the first game and the terrible bullet spongy enemies in all of them.

fastmower

Gaf is too negative as always, don't worry this game is nuts and Will be Amazing to see Uc3 desert at 1080/60!

Looks current gen =)
Yep. Bluepoint seems to have polished these games to a mirror sheen. It's freaking exciting to come back to these games like this!

Side note: Uncharted 4 is going to melt bodies and minds.

fastmower

I definitely wish they would have updated the graphics more. Game definitely looked a bit dated.

I also wish they would have tightened up the aiming. Would have really helped with the horrible encounters in the first game and the terrible bullet spongy enemies in all of them.
They don't seem bullet spongy now, IMO.

Edit: also this is a remaster, not a remake.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

They tightened up the aiming in all of the games.

Well I mean, it should.

Revven

Bolded: The enemies are not bullet spongey, you're just bad at Uncharted. :p

Seriously, they're not though. Learn what weapons do good damage vs using something like the AK.

So I started playing the chapter on PS3 to get to the demo area for comparison sake (not just for me, I also want to show my wife the difference) and I noticed it seemed to look... better... even if it was jaggier. I'll see once I get to the exact same locations/scenes.

Also, what kind of motion blur are yous using? When I had both on, it kicked in very jarringly when I went for the window ledge stealth kill. Immediately changed it to just object. I'll see what happens there my next time through.

Shenmue

Banned
Can anyone still recreate that one screenshot of Drake that people like to post? The one where it looks REALLY bad?

Griss

Still haven't fixed the same thing that always drives me crazy about Uncharted. The inverted look for aiming and camera is the same option. That is total BS. I use inverted for aiming and normal for camera, always have. I died 10 times and put the demo down because I was constantly looking at the floor.

I get used to it if I sit down to play it for a long stretch but it seems like such an egregious oversight for supposedly detail-oriented devs.

Also, the music was off for me in this demo, seemed to be barely playing at all.

The 60 frames and that coupled with the DS4 sure feels like a breath of fresh air but Uncharted 2 was definitely better looking in my mind.

It is scary how fast something becomes somewhat outdated. Not to say this is an ugly game, not by a longshot.

Precisely how I felt. Man, I couldn't believe how dated it looked. Then I realised it was 6 (six!!!!) years ago. Fuck me, time flies. But still...

Of course, once I saw the Tibetan city from above, that faded into the background, but even still you can tell that the skybox is seriously low res. You couldn't really tell that back in the day, or we were used to it.

kyser73

When I checked the control layout Photomode shows as being greyed out and I can't access it :(

Still, CANNOT WAIT UNTIL NEXT WEEK!!!!

I have never played any Uncharted before, but the E3 demo blew my mind and the TLOU Remastered has become my favorite, so I have been waiting and hoping for this collection... I am all set for October... Good time to be had...

Ran rp

i thought it was just youtube compression but this still doesn't look good in person. it's been a while since i've seen U2 though so maybe it never looked as nice as i thought it did. at least not this section.

gameplay is also far worse than i remember, but i think this was always my least favorite part of the game.

junker

Still haven't fixed the same thing that always drives me crazy about Uncharted. The inverted look for aiming and camera is the same option. That is total BS. I use inverted for aiming and normal for camera, always have. I died 10 times and put the demo down because I was constantly looking at the floor.

I get used to it if I sit down to play it for a long stretch but it seems like such an egregious oversight for supposedly detail-oriented devs.

There are separate options for camera and aiming. Am I misunderstanding your issue?

Weird seeing so many saying the graphics have aged, it honestly looks even better than I remember. Really impressed to be honest.

Also it's cool seeing first timers enjoying it, all I can say is that the demo part isn't even close to the best in the series and it's way better when you have context for the situation and characters.

Have fun!

Just finished the demo.

Holy crap, the graphics are still pretty amazing. The animations have aged for sure but I still had a blast with the demo.

Shenmue

Banned
If it's the one I'm thinking it is, that was only in multiplayer which isn't included in this collection.

Ahhhh I see. I didn't know that was in multi. Would have been funny if that was in single player to see what it looked like now.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Weird seeing so many saying the graphics have aged, it honestly looks even better than I remember. Really impressed to be honest.

Also it's cool seeing first timers enjoying it, all I can say is that the demo part isn't even close to the best in the series and it's way better when you have context for the situation and characters.

Have fun!

I don't know why but that make me chuckle. Was it deliberate?

Top Bottom