• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fighting Game Noob Thread: From Scrub to Master

So I decided to play on PS4 today..just for a change of scenery.
After around 2 hrs, I'm pretty sure most PS4 owner's only have Nash on the select screen. Its the only reasonable explanation I can come up with.

ACE 1991

What Ryu combos do you guys like to apply pressure? One of my big issues is I'm playing a purely reactionary game so I'm usually being presured into making mistakes.

EDIT: Also hit 945 LP tonight! So close to 1000.

So I normally don't post that much in this thread, but I just had to post this particular achievement. First of all, this Laura had a 25 win streak and I beat him/her.

Then we both got a rematch, and this is a video of that rematch. I was playing a little loose in the first round, trying to keep a small distance, not zone and ... I had no game plan. Before the second round, I literally screamed out "You wanna play? OK, let's go" and I started to play more seriously and defensively, taking any opportunity I could.

But the personal highlight came at 2:14 into the video. I predicted that either he was gonna do an overhead or try to dash into something or maybe go for a regular crush counter. And I used a reactionary super :D

When you start to figure out your opponents, it's the best feeling in the world. Thanks for reading :)
Some good adapting going on here!

could someone here please teach me how to play dhalsim? i've tried to play him in sf4 last time but i panicked easily and just pressed random buttons and it's happening again in sfv. i think what i need is figure out the proper mindset for playing dhalsim. on execution side, i've been practising tiger knee teleports for the air hp mixups and anti airing with cr. mp but i still need to learn the ranges of it and other aa moves like b.mp, b.hp and jab.
I could maybe try my hand at writing down basic how-to guidelines for Dhalsim, since there's plenty to keep in the back of your mind. No promises though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHcex1cPRQA

Here is a match where I actually won a round tonight. Unfortunately that feeling didn't last long at all.
Apologies for the late reply:

- Need to cut down on the blatant jumping for a number of reasons. Better players will anti-air and the air-to-air normals you threw out aren't good.
- You're only using two buttons! Capcom's video guide is detailed about Ryu's tools.
- You need to practice blocking. Your defense doesn't exist. Watch this.
- You have no fireball game during those rare moments where there is some distance between you and the Chun.
- Random Shoryukens is a bad habit.

There's not a whole lot of precise feedback I can provide here; it'll sound blunt, but you need to be making conscious decisions about when you throw out x move or when you opt for y approach on the opposing player. You're just going through set motions willy-nilly when a big part about fighting games is about enforcing a gameplan upon others (the subtleties of which vary per character match-up) for opportunities, reacting to what the enemy player is doing and being able to hold your own ground by reading the situation correctly. You need to have an understanding about general fundamentals, so consult the resources linked in the OP where applicable and ask direct / defined questions afterwards if you're scratching your head about a particular subject.

So I had an interesting but but mostly frustrating experience tonight. I dug up an old Tekken 6 wireless PS3 fightstick I bought on clearance at Best Buy many moons ago. Since I have been having a little difficulty on my Hori FC4 fightpad with consistently inputting commands on the d-pad for moves. I wanted to try out a fightstick and see if that would do better for me.

Not a chance. The stick felt very loose to use. It felt almost impossible to get off the move I wanted. The stick was too sensitive. Dragon ball punches, hurricane kicks, they were impossible to input correctly. I felt like I was taking steps backwards when using the fightstick.

I don't know if the fightstick being wireless had anything to do with my results or the quality of the stick. I feel like I do much better though with the Hori FC4 pad. I don't think I'm going to return to the stick moving forward.
The quality of the stick could very well be a problem and wireless ones are no good since they introduce input delay by virtue of not having a direct connection with your console / PC. Some can have their components (relatively) easily modded or replaced for let's say a snappier stick or less sensitive buttons, but I have no clue about the actual quality of said hardware.

Two matches between myself (Yyu) and Lordquas (Cammy). He's on GAF and in this thread but I do not remember his username. Would love a critique of my play, and I'm sure he would appreciate one of his, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AyR1Dh5K_4

Obvious stuff I need to fix:

Not using cr.HK as a poke (so easy to punish), and I'm really bad at hit confirming and stopping myself from comboing into a whiffed shoryuken. I'm thinking about the links too hard and not about what I'm going to do on block.

- Too many of Ryu's sweeps. There were a couple that were nearing max range, but the majority were up-close. You usually took damage, but Cammy could've punished harder.
- You need to work on your defense and block more when you're at disadvantage. You push a lot of buttons at times.
- Cammy used random Cannon Spikes too often in between would-be block / combo strings and elsewhere.
- Both of you need to work on your grounded anti-airs; there's been a dearth of this throughout both matches.
- Didn't properly bait out the Spin Knuckle after the Hadoken (read: like this), which the Cammy used far too often as it is.
- Need to be careful about fireballs thrown past the mid-range point, got you in trouble on numerous occasions. Timing also somewhat predictable.
- When nearby one another, I feel there isn't really much of a high-low occuring (sporadic overheads for example) nor occasionally threatening with throws.

Beyond that, it's simply a matter of refinement and character familiarity. On a core level the two of you have the right idea revolving the basics of Street Fighter: moving back-and-forth to play around with ranges, pushing various buttons at alternating spaces, changing up rhythm in places, trying to press advantages when nearing the corner, exhibiting some patience et cetera. I can still discern wide openings with the above, but I still get the impression the both of you have a grasp of what needs to be done rather than going about it with reckless abandon. For beginners the two of you are doing fine in other words, but you should still keep practicing execution (be it hit confirms, maximizing punishments or other aspects) and kicking bad habits like those listed above. Keep it up!

McNum

I have a few videos to share, although I'm sorry to say, I don't have that many teachable losses in stock this time. Which means I'm doing something right, and I want to be sure that I'm understanding this. Also, might need to be sure if it was me winning or my opponents defeating themselves. But before that, the loss that sent me to the lab for several days. As usual, I'm the red Karin.

Battle Lounge: Ryu (W) vs Karin
A fight with fellow Gaffer Acerac, whose Ryu is scarily on point at times, especially at 1:00 in that one. I'm sharing this mostly as a "Before" video, but do feel free to comment on the Ryu player, too, though.

I was just unhappy with that match, and the ones preceding it as a whole. I got beat, and badly. I was considering dropping Karin at that point, but I took her to the lab to learn "something simple" to boost her attack power. A few days in the lab later and it was Ranked time. A couple of examples from that.

Ranked: Karin (W) vs Necalli
I am not entirely sure of Necalli yet, other than he has a charge attack that comes out scary fast, so if he backs up, I block. And then he never used it, figures. Also, Necalli's super is a HIT, despite looking like a grab. I need to learn whose supers have to be blocked and whose have to be jumped. Necalli's is not to be jumped. Overall, though, this is the result of the lab work and coming up with a plan. It's not a great plan, but it is a plan. But that final Crush Counter to qcb+HK detail? That's a Training Mode nugget. I practiced that, and it paid off.

Ranked: Karin (W) vs Ken
I have a Ken problem, and on a double win streak, this was just about the worst I could see, other than Vega, on the opposite side of the VS screen. This was a very swingy match, the second round in particular is hugely sloppy on my part. I was trying to land another training mode combo, but failing spectacularly. I found out Ressenha is Super-cancellable, you see... And I paid for it with my entire EX meter and a lost round. Smooth.

The final round, though. On rewatch, I can barely believe that's me playing. I walk him to the corner, I keep him in the corner, I get a dizzy and I win. Few gimmicks, nothing fancy. Push, punish, control screen position. As I see it, I need to look long and hard at that final round versus Ken there. That's what I want. That's easily within my ability to do again. Of course, he did help by not exploiting the knockdown he got to just flee from the corner, but still. I got him here and kept him there.

I still Ressenha and jump too much, though. And I need to get Karin's launcher into the mix for huge corner damage. Tenko, qcb+LK, qcb+PP should be within my ability at this point. Something to work on. But that whole "Stay at exactly not st. MK range and pressure them backwards" plan is a keeper. I can add fancier stuff to it, of course, but it works. I am also beginning to understand the uses of the V-Trigger activation itself. I may have something cooking that I need to play with, but... I think I might be able to cancel st. MK with it and have a good +15 frames to work with. Lots of nasty stuff can happen in 15 frames, which are preceded by a second of pause to do inputs. I don't even care all that much about Guren-ken at this point, it's unsafe and predictable. But I do want to know if st. MK xx HP+HK, Super is a thing or not. Because considering how often I land one of those, this would be awesome.

ACE 1991

- Too many of Ryu's sweeps. There were a couple that were nearing max range, but the majority were up-close. You usually took damage, but Cammy could've punished harder.
- You need to work on your defense and block more when you're at disadvantage. You push a lot of buttons at times.
- Cammy used random Cannon Spikes too often in between would-be block / combo strings and elsewhere.
- Both of you need to work on your grounded anti-airs; there's been a dearth of this throughout both matches.
- Didn't properly bait out the Spin Knuckle after the Hadoken (read: like this), which the Cammy used far too often as it is.
- Need to be careful about fireballs thrown past the mid-range point, got you in trouble on numerous occasions. Timing also somewhat predictable.
- When nearby one another, I feel there isn't really much of a high-low occuring (sporadic overheads for example) nor occasionally threatening with throws.

Beyond that, it's simply a matter of refinement and character familiarity. On a core level the two of you have the right idea revolving the basics of Street Fighter: moving back-and-forth to play around with ranges, pushing various buttons at alternating spaces, changing up rhythm in places, trying to press advantages when nearing the corner, exhibiting some patience et cetera. I can still discern wide openings with the above, but I still get the impression the both of you have a grasp of what needs to be done rather than going about it with reckless abandon. For beginners the two of you are doing fine in other words, but you should still keep practicing execution (be it hit confirms, maximizing punishments or other aspects) and kicking bad habits like those listed above. Keep it up!

Thanks so much, this is very helpful!

Anyone have any tips about getting out of F.A.N.G's vortex thing? I played a fang that would toss the two air poison balls at close range after he knocked me down. I block them on wake up but he dashes behind me as I'm blocking and grabs me or does a combo which results in another knock down. Then he rinses and repeats this over and over.

The only thing i could do was avoid a knockdown as long as i could but once he got it ...it Was pretty much game over.

I was using chun btw.couldnt come up with an answer since the minute you wake up its either get poisoned or get stuck in a block string from those poison balls that are raining down on her head

Anyone have any tips about getting out of F.A.N.G's vortex thing? I played a fang that would toss the two air poison balls at close range after he knocked me down. I block them on wake up but he dashes behind me as I'm blocking and grabs me or does a combo which results in another knock down. Then he rinses and repeats this over and over.

The only thing i could do was avoid a knockdown as long as i could but once he got it ...it Was pretty much game over.

I was using chun btw.couldnt come up with an answer since the minute you wake up its either get poisoned or get stuck in a block string from those poison balls that are raining down on her head
Haven't played against a F.A.N.G yet who really 'abused' that set-up, but from what I've gathered on other streams:

block the direction F.A.N.G is facing, like you would with any other attack and it'll cause you to block the projectiles too. This applies to Dhalsim's teleport fireball hijinx as well. If he does the EX lunge looking move, he'll end up behind you and if he does the normal one, likely still in front of you. Being thrown isn't the end of the world since you can quick-rise off of it and it's comparatively minimal damage compared to the other outcome, but there's no easy way out other than anticipating what he's going to do and reading his patterns. If you can't tell what's coming, resort to a reversal attack if your character has one; in Chun-Li's case her EX Spinning Bird Kick ought to suffice. Otherwise attempt a V-Reversal if you know he's going for actual strikes, because otherwise you'll get thrown out of the animation.

Beyond that, your only safe bet is minimizing being knocked down as much as you can.

Is having inputs like this on stick normal on when doing an fb movement?

Like I'll have an extra right before the right + punch.

RQ84KIT.jpg

Wallach

I looked at Gootecks inputs in USFIV and he does the same thing.

I'm pretty sure it will show your inputs like this if your P/K input comes out on any frame after your last forward input. So like, unless you hit forward + P on the same frame, you will get a separate forward + P input in the window (assuming you are still holding forward on the frame P actually comes out).

Haven't played against a F.A.N.G yet who really 'abused' that set-up, but from what I've gathered on other streams:

block the direction F.A.N.G is facing, like you would with any other attack and it'll cause you to block the projectiles too. This applies to Dhalsim's teleport fireball hijinx as well. If he does the EX lunge looking move, he'll end up behind you and if he does the normal one, likely still in front of you. Being thrown isn't the end of the world since you can quick-rise off of it and it's comparatively minimal damage compared to the other outcome, but there's no easy way out other than anticipating what he's going to do and reading his patterns. If you can't tell what's coming, resort to a reversal attack if your character has one; in Chun-Li's case her EX Spinning Bird Kick ought to suffice. Otherwise attempt a V-Reversal if you know he's going for actual strikes, because otherwise you'll get thrown out of the animation.

Beyond that, your only safe bet is minimizing being knocked down as much as you can.

Thanks as usual for the solid advice. Hopefully i will never run into another fang like that. I wish there was a way to set up that scenario in trainig mode to try out those options.

Is having inputs like this on stick normal on when doing an fb movement?

Like I'll have an extra right before the right + punch.
Same thing happens to me when I use my stick. I feel it's my personal overcompensation to the dead zone on a stick that causes me to input buttons simultaneously compared to what I'm normally used to on a d-pad, which is typically clean. I dont know if what i said makes sense.
I look like im driving a stick shift when using my stick....which is not very flattering

Have to apologize for my absence. Haven't had much time to put in worthwhile posts lately on this subject and Crab Milk has been holding this threads torch. Bless em.

"How do I use training mode?"

One of the most important parts of learning a fighting game is by using training mode. You can learn through matches, but it's best to supplement matches with time in the lab, or, as SFV calls it, the grid.

Training mode can be overwhelming because for a lot of people, they're not exactly sure what to do with the mode beyond practicing combos.

Combos are fine, but training mode is where you essentially problem solve and reduce the game to its most basic parts.

When you initially boot up training mode you'll see two characters standing each other at "match start".

L7kZY9G.jpg

This is called neutral.

First what are the grids for? Character spacing. Notice that one floor tile generally represents the size of one character and the tiles on the wall represent height. Chun Li is 3 tiles tall and Birdie is almost 5. This is helpful in getting comfortable with ranges. Even some stages, like this one feel as if they were made to purposely show players ways to get used to the size of their characters and the ranges of their moves.

Notice how the tile is about the width of one character.

ALXf5AP.jpg

That's something to keep in mind while practicing in training mode and learning move ranges.

Let's take a small example. Maybe you've squared up against your friend or on ranked and fought a Birdie and don't know what to do when he does his long reaching grab move, Bull Revenger. Training mode is a great way to test that out so we can prevent this

O6PlHSd.gif

from happening.

One of the hallmark features of fighting game training rooms is that ability to program the AI to do certain things to replicate specific situations to gain situational awareness and explore your options.

What you're going to do is hit start and sift through the menus until you get to this one.

7r84Adp.jpg

Notice that the dummy's status is on Dummy. What we want to do is press right and put it on Playback Recording.

3tylGcB.jpg

Go to the Action Recording menu setting and you'll see a bunch of different slots for different recordings. We're sticking to the one for now.

DTT7mDq.jpg

Hit start recording and the game will automatically transport you back to the game with a little recording icon above. This is a good opportunity to, if you're unfamiliar with the character, to play around with their moveset for a bit before finding and recording the move. SFV's recording menu UI isn't as good as SFIV's yet, where in that game all you had to do to start a new recording was pause and then unpause, so after recording all that shit you've experimented with, we're going to want to press start and hit Record again. From here you input the move or situation giving you trouble and go back to the pause menu.

This time we're hitting Playback.

ZHUrBfg.jpg

This is the real meat of learning what moves you can beat, punish, counter. Maybe your friend is doing a crazy combo on you and you're struggling like hell against it. Learn that combo and then record it and play it back. Because this is the fun part.

We're going to find any viable answer to Bull Revenger so that your friend thinks twice any time they stupidly try to do it to you full screen.

x6O2rsG.gif

DlTHQYQ.gif

8URZb7c.gif

aBt7mPD.gif

LGrkQd4.gif

And that's not all of the ways you can deal with this.

The point is, use the training room as a tool to learn match ups and solve problems. It should be used to plug in holes with real experience knowledge so that when the next time that happens, you have the basic muscle memory to deal with it. Perhaps, you're having trouble with anti-airing. Record the dummy jump in on you constantly for a never ending assault of jump ins and try to beat them multiple times in a row. Maybe someone keeps throwing you? Program the ai to throw you and practice teching.

Another great thing about training mode is that you can use it to problem solve execution errors. Do you sometimes hit a regular punch instead of a hadouken? Training mode can probably tell you why.

This is an invaluable tool for me personally as I learn stick.

O9cfFew.jpg

This is me practicing my execution with my legs on stick. Sometimes I get it. Sometimes I miss the diagonal completely and I don't know why. This is why input display is so important: to problem solve issues pertaining to execution. Look at the inputs and you can see a story of how you got there. How did I hit back? How did I miss the diagonal? Re-do those motions until they're clean. Then practice in against the AI in training mode via CPU dummy mode, or in an actual fight.

There's a lot to explore in training mode beyond combo practice, execution examination, and match up knowledge. You can practice set ups and actual strategy. There's a wakeup feature for instance. Replicate situations like a wakeup DP's and find ways to set opponents up on wake up. Explore training mode but only use it as a tool. One of the largest things you should know in your use of the mode is to always know WHY you're in there to get something out of it.

A good tactic that I'm using is, instead of going straight to Ranked Match mode or Casual Match mode, I stay in training mode and turn on Fight Request with the caveat that the game give a notification on when I get a new match request. That way, the first place I go in the game is training mode to warm up and work on my execution and when I'm ready for a match, I can choose to accept when I'm ready. This is also useful because it takes you straight back to training mode after each fight. So if you're in Ranked and something happens in a match up that leaves you completely baffled on how to counter it, you're already IN training mode, so you can get to work on solving that problem immediately.

This makes the game fun and engaging and endless supply of problem solving, questioning, and practicing what you've learned with actual fight experience.

Applying a more scientific mind to how you approach the game is extremely helpful in figuring out how the game works FAST and this applies to any fighting game. Just be careful to not spend TOO much of your time in training - you need actual fight experience as well to supplement training and give the mode merit.

One benefit isdoing the above to your own character. It will help you understand your own characters ranges, strengths, and weaknesses. Try to problem solve every move in your characters moveset by programming it into the AI. For example, I know for a fact that if I whiff legs or it's blocked, I could potentially lose the round (and fight). Problem solving your own character is crucial.

- Condition yourself into responding to a teleport on-reaction. Even if it's just a jab and even with a fireball approaching to minimize mix-up damage.
- Once you establish your defense like that and know the Dhalsim's rhythm, you can pressure with the fireball game.
- Distancing yourself against the Yoga Fires is also important. Know under which strengths you can dash forwards, know when to keep backing against the screen edge.
- Don't bother parrying long-range limbs. You don't really gain anything off it and it's a big window of vulnerability.
- Don't jump forwards when Dhalsim throws an EX fireball. You only did it once admittedly, but from afar they will be looking for an anti-air. Neutral is (situationally) fine.
- Near-full screen Tatsu's weren't exactly effective in that match, although worth a try as a gap closer since Dhalsim can't punish 'juggled' targets hard.
- You didn't play footsies or whiff punish from afar much. Ryu has apt normals for this.
- By extension: random jab SRK's if you're noticing patterns in a Dhalsim's poking game. Risk of minimal Crush Counter damage, but puts the fear in them if it connects.

All things considering you did well against that Dhalsim with some clever decisions. Just not fully prepared for a couple of the finer details in the match-up.

Okay, woke up, it's 7 in the morning, and I am at page 331 of this thread. Which means there's about 25 pages to read up on. I switched to Ryu for a little time, and finished watching the "Official Character Guide for Ryu", so I know his basics but yet my brain decides to freeze in an actual match. I got five casual online matches with him, lost them all, so I decided to share my fourth fight on my Youtube. I know I need to defend more, yet I think I'm getting better at this aspect, and need to be a little more patient. Please give feedback.

On another note, I just got my FIRST EVER WIN IN A STREET FIGHTER game ever. Any Street Fighter game. It was a casual online match, and I could see I were up against a super scrub but whatever, I take the win! And my first win at that. This time I were playing Charlie Nash, and I know I didn't use any meter in this match, but do you have any other feedback I can take with me? I shared that video on my Youtube here.

I can feel that I am not hitting the commands right sometimes. When I consistently do a light punch, it's because I'm trying to do a grab. If I'm punching downward, it's because I tried do a CA. And failed at both. Also, I think it'll help me, if I invest in a Fighting Commander 4, especially for those v-reversals.

Anyway, FIRST EVER WIN EVER!!!

:) I'm happy for you! How are you doing now? :)

Okay, I had a close match earlier that I absolutley wanted to hear from others about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyWHWhwQyJs

I included the live match to show how jittery it got in spots, followed by the replay with inputs. Some of my observations:
- I still can't help but mash sometimes... a bit of nerves, a bit of lag. Because of that bad habit/anxiety...
- I missed a few big punish opportunities. I've really got to stay calm and focused to make the opponent pay for whiffing DP or CA
- despite the mashing, I'd at least spent quite some time (too long, really) practicing hit confirms from LP but did not do that once
- I didn't figure out the opponent's grab pattern fast enough, and when I did I couldn't react properly
- I didn't finish them when I had the chance and almost gave the game away trying to bait something punishable. I wanna say the winning move was a hard read, but there's a good or better chance I just threw it out there on a wing and a prayer.
- I still have to suss out Nash's most efficient and optimized combos. The only one I hit reliably is the Rapid Punch into MK Scythe.

I'm also interested in hearing what that Necalli did right or wrong, as I haven't really played around with that character too much. He wasn't half bad, that combo into Critical Art was pretty good, and I was sure it'd kill.

You'll get it. Experience builds these nerves. I didn't know about cc-ing shoryuken's a week ago but now I do it any chance I get. Experience will help free you of this. Training mode is also good to practice this on. Set up the AI to do a shoryuken and punish it. Explore the many ways you CAN punish it. Can you punish it with a CA? Test that! CC? TEST IT.

Hey GAF, we added a Fighting Game Newbie channel for people learning the genre, wanting to learn, and looking for sparring partners or mentors; quote to reveal the link:

Added to OP.

Hi guys, I was directed to come here for some advices. Here's a replay of mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA7TAW6l1T4

I'm the chun player, and tbh I pretty much feel like I can,t do anything vs anyone who rushes like crazy, this video is a good example of that. I start jumping like a retard and cant land anything

Anyone can give me some tips?

Hello fellow Chun player.

At match start, Mika does a really unsafe move and you decide to crouch. Don't crouch. Assault her from all angles. Start with a back/forward + MP for starters, or maybe a st HP. Strike fear into your opponents with your great normals.

You have a tendency to bust out lights. Lights useless for that purpose in SFV. Instead, work on Chun BNB's such as cr lp, st mp, cr mk xx legs, cr lp, st mp, cr mk xx sbk, or cr hp xx lk legs -> cr lp xx sbk.

Do NOT abuse cr hk. It is highly unsafe for Chun in this game, and against a Mika (or anyone really) you'll get blown up. Use cr mk instead. Other good ranged pokes are st mk, st hp, st hk against specifically tall opponents, and back/forward + mp. Only use cr hk as an anti-air or a punish. You can set people up with it by doing a faster kick like cr lk or cr mk, and some players may think they can punish that with a sweep but those moves are fast. When they do try to sweep, sweep them back when they're in recovery. You're using cr hk like a poke. Crouching hk is NOT a poke for Chun like it was in SFIV!

Also, nice Round 2! Like the back + hp xx legs!

I'm willing to spar but please know it will be terrible because I'm learning stick and it's still foreign to me.

Alright guys frustration has set in and I am in need of help. I have almost no real experience in fighting games outside of Smash Bros. I have about 30 hours in USF4 but it was with a friend mostly. I have beaten all story modes for the characters in SFV and have settled on using Rashid. I can do all his moves pretty much without error but now I am at an impasse. I don't know how to get good. I sit in training mode but don't really learn much because I am not sure what to look for or what to get better at. I don't really know how to combo appropriately and really just need some guidance.

Start with Bafael's guide. Since you know Rashi'd moves but just need to learn how to implement them look into Valle's matches. Whenever you're feeling down and need inspiration, watching a top player that plays your character usually does the trick. Don't get discouraged! It's only a week in!

I just got beat almost 30 times in a row by a friend, what do I do next in my life I feel broken

Fight and win people that you're better than. It can be therapeutic.

What Ryu combos do you guys like to apply pressure? One of my big issues is I'm playing a purely reactionary game so I'm usually being presured into making mistakes.

EDIT: Also hit 945 LP tonight! So close to 1000.

You can do it!

Rean

- Condition yourself into responding to a teleport on-reaction. Even if it's just a jab and even with a fireball approaching to minimize mix-up damage.
- Once you establish your defense like that and know the Dhalsim's rhythm, you can pressure with the fireball game.
- Distancing yourself against the Yoga Fires is also important. Know under which strengths you can dash forwards, know when to keep backing against the screen edge.
- Don't bother parrying long-range limbs. You don't really gain anything off it and it's a big window of vulnerability.
- Don't jump forwards when Dhalsim throws an EX fireball. You only did it once admittedly, but from afar they will be looking for an anti-air. Neutral is (situationally) fine.
- Near-full screen Tatsu's weren't exactly effective in that match, although worth a try as a gap closer since Dhalsim can't punish 'juggled' targets hard.
- You didn't play footsies or whiff punish from afar much. Ryu has apt normals for this.
- By extension: random jab SRK's if you're noticing patterns in a Dhalsim's poking game. Risk of minimal Crush Counter damage, but puts the fear in them if it connects.

All things considering you did well against that Dhalsim with some clever decisions. Just not fully prepared for a couple of the finer details in the match-up.
Thanks a lot!

When using stick am I supposed to hit the edges of the gate for guidance or outside of the gate. I don't ride the gate. I'm very delicate. But I'm not sure I'm supposed to hit the gate to learn where my stop points are.

Also any tips with dashing? Trying to dash like Gootecks. It's hard though.

lazygecko

I haven't really played a fighting game in over a decade at this point. The new KOF kind of interests me, so I'd like to get that and at least become semi-competent so I can enjoy some casual online fun.

I have a Xbox pad I'm using for PC. I don't really plan on investing in an actual arcade stick. Trying to refresh myself with KOF98 but I'm having genuine problems just pulling off special moves with it. Doing Z motions with either the analog or D-pad seems pretty much impossible.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Sorry guys, but how do you save replays of fights in SFV?

After the match end, there will be a menu. "save replay" should be one of the options in that menu. Unless you're playing Local, which doesn't do that AFAIK.

What TheSeks says isn't really true for all modes. You get replays by going to your fighter profile (square button) and then going to the battle log section which divides replays between type (Ranked, Casual, Lobby). Then you go to the replay and click on save to replays.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
What TheSeks says isn't really true for all modes. You get replays by going to your fighter profile (square button) and then going to the battle log section which divides replays between type (Ranked, Casual, Lobby). Then you go to the replay and click on save to replays.

Thanks! Maybe going back and watching can help me out. =x

Trace

Banned
For Bison:

cr. LK, cr. LP, st. LK xx LK scissor

is apparently a combo. Scissor is a charge move correct? So how do you do this?

Wallach

For Bison:

cr. LK, cr. LP, st. LK xx LK scissor

is apparently a combo. Scissor is a charge move correct? So how do you do this?

Does cr.LK link to cr.LP? I always used cr.LP to start.

Either way, you just start charging with down back instead of just down, then transition to back for the st.LK to keep it. You'll get enough charge from the first two lights in the combo.

Trace

Banned
Does cr.LK link to cr.LP? I always used cr.LP to start.

Either way, you just start charging with down back instead of just down, then transition to back for the st.LK to keep it. You'll get enough charge from the first two lights in the combo.

Alright thanks I'll give it a try.

Hey, fellow gaffers. Would anyone be willing to help me up my Smash 4 game? I'm trying to main Lucina after a two year break from Smash. Would anyone be willing to fight me in the future and give me some pointers? I have to go to bed for the night, but I'd love some help. There's a local tournament in about a week and I'm rusty as hell. Maining a low tier character is a struggle.

Kintaro

I'm going to start "Week of..." and pick a character and learn and play them exclusively for a week, then move to the next. I want to learn SFV and get good damn it. lol So, I'll be sure to post replays in the thread for critique. =D

Hey, fellow gaffers. Would anyone be willing to help me up my Smash 4 game? I'm trying to main Lucina after a two year break from Smash. Would anyone be willing to fight me in the future and give me some pointers? I have to go to bed for the night, but I'd love some help. There's a local tournament in about a week and I'm rusty as hell. Maining a low tier character is a struggle.
I would check out the Smash discord. Ask in the OT for a link.

I'm going to start "Week of..." and pick a character and learn and play them exclusively for a week, then move to the next. I want to learn SFV and get good damn it. lol So, I'll be sure to post replays in the thread for critique. =D

Good idea but beware to not think of the game bases around characters but around actual game. It's easy to concentrate on characters without learning the game. I'd say make it two weeks per character instead.

Try not to worry about "being good" as that leads to heartache when it takes to "get good." Concentrate instead on getting better, which you can do in one session of play. It will take months and years to get good and you may never feel you're at a place where you're actually good. Strive to get better instead.

TruthasaurusRex

Neo Member
Here are a handful of ranked matches in the order I played them from top to bottom.
I've always played fighting games for fun but now I'm actually trying to learn how to be better at them and SFV in particular. So in a sense I am new. I welcome all criticism.
CFN: Sammasati

Ryu vs Nash https://youtu.be/RtCY7kV4bIU
Ryu Mirror https://youtu.be/uj7MSo_mN2c
Necalli vs Ryu https://youtu.be/IK7AWuTu6uM
Ryu Mirror 2 https://youtu.be/TVKZAUlyvXo
Ken vs Ryu https://youtu.be/AHN6l9o2nbc
Ryu vs Ken https://youtu.be/qNnTMfez508

Kintaro

Good idea but beware to not think of the game bases around characters but around actual game. It's easy to concentrate on characters without learning the game. I'd say make it two weeks per character instead.

Try not to worry about "being good" as that leads to heartache when it takes to "get good." Concentrate instead on getting better, which you can do in one session of play. It will take months and years to get good and you may never feel you're at a place where you're actually good. Strive to get better instead.

Good advice. What do you mean learning the game? The systems themselves? What beats what? Etc?

Good advice. What do you mean learning the game? The systems themselves? What beats what? Etc?

Give this video a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQQCan5oo90

After you're done with that, watch an accompanying match that perfectly shows what it is. Despite being an SFIV match I think this fight should be shown to every fighting game fan no matter their skill level, no matter the game as it perfectly shows fundamentals of what fighting games are based around. My appreciation of it grows the more I understand the games and the players thought processes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7_b1aMJHDA

Don't limit yourself by boxing yourself within your characters moveset. Learn about movement, spacing, and footsies with each character. Otherwise you would be learning characters and not the game (genre). Played MKII at an arcade cab against someone the other day. First time playing MKII since the 90's, same shit applies no matter the game.

The only time he gets a true 50/50 is when he COUNTER HITS you with his extremely unsafe sweep that he has to GUESS with and throw out there because he can't confirm into it.

bait sweep, block and punish. It's a huge risk for him to go for.

Owensboro

Question about Training Mode - Record and playback function:

Is there a way, during dummy playback, to turn off the giant play symbol with the recording number in it?

I'm try to set up 5 options to make me adapt instead of anticipate, but out of my perephrial vision I'm seeing the number and remembering what I recorded in that slot before it happens. For instance, I'll try Anti-Air training by setting the dummy recordings to 1) jump in, 2) one punch and jump in, 3) two punches and jump in, and 4) two punches neutral jump. I'm seeing the number (3) before the action happens and thinking "oh, that was two punches then jump in".

I'd like to turn the number off so I stop "accidentally" seeing what recording is playing.

Kintaro

Give this video a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQQCan5oo90

After you're done with that, watch an accompanying match that perfectly shows what it is. Despite being an SFIV match I think this fight should be shown to every fighting game fan no matter their skill level, no matter the game as it perfectly shows fundamentals of what fighting games are based around. My appreciation of it grows the more I understand the games and the players thought processes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7_b1aMJHDA

Don't limit yourself by boxing yourself within your characters moveset. Learn about movement, spacing, and footsies with each character. Otherwise you would be learning characters and not the game (genre). Played MKII at an arcade cab against someone the other day. First time playing MKII since the 90's, same shit applies no matter the game.

Well. My mind is quite blown. Watched both videos and favorited them. Now it feels like I have been playing at such a limited level it is no wonder that I haven't improved. Time for a be5ter approach.

Thank you for your help.

Well. My mind is quite blown. Watched both videos and favorited them. Now it feels like I have been playing at such a limited level it is no wonder that I haven't improved. Time for a be5ter approach.

Thank you for your help.

Read the following books:

David Sirlin's Playing To Win
Pat Miller's From Masher to Master (free on SRK)
Gootecks' Fighting Game Fundamentals
Gootecks Simplifying Street Fighter

Start with the basics. Your plan isn't bad but I wouldn't expect to achieve mastery of a character with a week time span.

It'd be better to concentrate on one to three characters max and fill in matchup knowledge with experience and experimentation. Play those characters for a few months, then go to different characters.

markwaters

Neo Member
When using stick am I supposed to hit the edges of the gate for guidance or outside of the gate. I don't ride the gate. I'm very delicate. But I'm not sure I'm supposed to hit the gate to learn where my stop points are.

Also any tips with dashing? Trying to dash like Gootecks. It's hard though.

This is all very much up to preference and feel. How do you hold the joystick? Do you use your hand, wrist, arm, or fingers to move it the most? What's the quickest way to get the desired inputs/movement based on your grip?

I have a wineglass grip, and I tend to use my wrist, palm, and fingers for small motions and almost my entire arm for larger motions. I ride the gate for things like charging, 360/720s and super jumping, but for most motions, I tend to have the muscle memory down to not need to. Whatever helps! You'll find what works best for you. It took me a while to settle on wineglass grip and then a bit of time after that to not struggle on one side of the screen over the other. I think I used the gate more during that time until I built the muscle memory.

For dashes, I push with my palm twice quickly for right dashes, and pull twice quickly (the stick is gripped underneath the ball between my ring and pinky fingers) for left dashes. I could not do either consistently when I started this grip. It's really important to practice both sides, and then emphasize practice on the side you have more trouble with -- for dashes and in general.

I don't think there's a definitive way to do most things on a stick. You just have to build consistency with your preferred method.

This is all very much up to preference and feel. How do you hold the joystick? Do you use your hand, wrist, arm, or fingers to move it the most? What's the quickest way to get the desired inputs/movement based on your grip?

I have a wineglass grip, and I tend to use my wrist, palm, and fingers for small motions and almost my entire arm for larger motions. I ride the gate for things like charging, 360/720s and super jumping, but for most motions, I tend to have the muscle memory down to not need to. Whatever helps! You'll find what works best for you. It took me a while to settle on wineglass grip and then a bit of time after that to not struggle on one side of the screen over the other. I think I used the gate more during that time until I built the muscle memory.

For dashes, I push with my palm twice quickly for right dashes, and pull twice quickly (the stick is gripped underneath the ball between my ring and pinky fingers) for left dashes. I could not do either consistently when I started this grip. It's really important to practice both sides, and then emphasize practice on the side you have more trouble with -- for dashes and in general.

I don't think there's a definitive way to do most things on a stick. You just have to build consistency with your preferred method.

I actually got it last night after playing a lot of Xrd. :p

Top Bottom