• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: Nintendo can't comment on NX because of "an idea that we're working on"

It probably revolves around the shared game library across multiple devices, and it's taking so much time cause it's not easy to reach somewhat similar performances on an handheld and a home console.

My take on the matter: in doing so they over-build hype. when they finally reveal the thing, even if it is good, it is just good, and not so overcoming all the other shortens their products have/will have compared to their competitors. So, all the wait isn't worth it.They act like all the competitors are trying to steal their thunder, but it seems that both MS and Sony are well aware of their own businesses, not caring abuot NX at all. And while they are announcing games and platforms, Nintendo is keeping all silent, abandoning their actual product (Wii U) on the market with no games, theorically to "build up NX", but at the end of the day if their idea will not be mind blowing and their lineup will not be stellar, we as customers will have simply waste our time.

I don't understand this line of thinking. It's going to come when it comes, whether or not we know when that is or what it is. Nintendo isn't even the one hyping it up. They don't want to talk about it; it's everyone else asking them about it.

nikatapi

My take on the matter: in doing so they over-build hype. when they finally reveal the thing, even if it is good, it is just good, and not so overcoming all the other shortens their products have/will have compared to their competitors. So, all the wait isn't worth it.They act like all the competitors are trying to steal their thunder, but it seems that both MS and Sony are well aware of their own businesses, not caring abuot NX at all. And while they are announcing games and platforms, Nintendo is keeping all silent, abandoning their actual product (Wii U) on the market with no games, theorically to "build up NX", but at the end of the day if their idea will not be mind blowing and their lineup will not be stellar, we as customers will have simply waste our time.

Could not agree more. Seems like they're being out of touch with how the current environment works, and how fast advancements are made.

I really don't see how anyone can interpret Miyamoto's words as anything bad or good. It just sounds like they don't want to talk about it yet. I see a lot of people seeing it as an admission that the "idea" isn't far along, but I'm not reading that from his words at all.
You should know by now that people love to make up stuff to cause dramatic scenarios.

What I said earlier was right.

Frodo

Do people honestly want another twin box?

I'd much rather Nintendo keep doing what they are doing and playing their own game, then having another version of a PS4/X1.

Zalman

I really don't see how anyone can interpret Miyamoto's words as anything bad or good. It just sounds like they don't want to talk about it yet. I see a lot of people seeing it as an admission that the "idea" isn't far along, but I'm not reading that from his words at all.
This. I'm seeing people saying this on every page and I don't get it.

It's probably SCD, hologram tech and/or the shared library between handheld and console. It's so exciting to see what they come up with!

This. I'm seeing people saying this on every page and I don't get it.
Those conclusion-cannon-ballers have probably had enough of those experts, with all the elitist fact-checking and everything. ;]

In the end, we have some rumors from people that should have a share of trust saying that situation with NX and games should be ok, but with room for improvement.

Until we really get some hard leaks (hi Ubisoft, how're you guys doing?) or (more likely) Nintendo finally shows the darned thing, that's as much as we get.

I just hope that the gimmick/hook of the system hits the spot when unveiled, another confused Wii U situation would be bad. Well, thinking of it, Nintendo should do anything to make this happen.
We're probably not getting some cold, hard hardware specs from them, so the games and the gimmick will have to wow consumers/gamers.

Raitaro

It's a hybrid console/handheld that you can use as phone!!

How amazing is that?

Well apart from the phone part, which I would not care about personally, having a hybrid console + handheld would be a smart way to bridge Western preferences to play on TV with Japanese preferences to play on the go I feel.

It would also help greatly with preventing Wii U style gaps in the software lineup as all teams would be working on games for both "systems." The only downside I can think of right now is that games that were specifically designed around either TV or handheld gaming will now have to work well in both settings, which might put some limitations on certain types of games.

Granted, it's probably not unique and "blue ocean" enough for them for it to be the actual main focus of the NX, but I'd definitely be happy if they'd go this route. If they'd add holograms as well, then we're really talking!

liquidtmd

Banned
Nintendo Board Meetings

6a00d8341c565553ef0154321fefb0970c-pi

Maybe they are waiting for a patent to be accepted, similar to the No Man Sky issue with the word "sky" and how the game had to be delayed due to the copyright involved with that word

Also, since scorpio and psNeo are in development, they can include Nintendo's idea in the development,dunno, crazy ideas, but I can imagine them not announcing it since maybe the patent is not accepted

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
"we are working on"?!?!?!?
At this point everything should have been finalized! When is NX supposed to launch?!?!

AmyS

"we are working on"?!?!?!?
At this point everything should have been finalized! When is NX supposed to launch?!?!

Nintendo has stated that NX will launch in March 2017.

However don't be surprised if it gets delayed another 6-8 months to fall 2017.

AmyS

No.

Normal HDTV.

AR / 3D glasses so that any TV can be used and the player gets a 3D image.

Sort of the opposite of 3DS which is glasses free 3D.

This would be 3D with glasses. No 3DTV needed.

Lengthy details:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=848738

(remember, this is patent-speak)

Abstract

The exemplary illustrative non-limiting technology herein enables 3D viewing on conventional 2D displays such as home television sets by tracking a person's viewpoint. Detecting a player's viewpoint movement to change the viewing of the displayed object gives the illusion that the object is physically present in three-dimensional space. Viewpoint movement detection can provide collision-related game logic benefits such as allowing a player to dodge projectiles, giving a game character an ability to "see" the player when not behind line-of-sight obstacles, and other advantages.
FIELD

[0002] The technology herein relates to three-dimensional imaging, and more particularly to 3D viewing on conventional 2D displays such as televisions by tracking a person's viewpoint. The technology herein also relates to viewpoint movement detection providing collision related game logic benefits including for example allowing a player to dodge projectiles and/or a game character's ability to see the player when not behind line of sight obstacles.

BACKGROUND AND SUMMARY

[0003] Three-dimensional imaging has become extremely popular. For example, as more and more home viewing occurs on large-screen high resolution televisions and other display devices, movie theaters have sought to differentiate the movie theater experience from home viewing by offering three-dimensional films. As is well known, such technology works by encoding stereoscopic images in different colors, and using special 3D glasses with color filters to present different (offset) images to the left and right eyes. Such 3D films can create remarkable viewing experiences to theater goers willing to wear special 3D glasses. However, while it is also possible to provide the same 3D viewing experience on home televisions and other home display devices through use of specially-encoded images and 3D viewing glasses, such technology has not yet caught on at least in part because many viewers don't want to always wear 3D glasses to watch television in their living rooms and dens.

[0004] Other ways are known for providing 3D viewing experiences without the need for special 3D glasses but instead by using specialized 3D display devices. For example, specialized stereoscopic lenticular displays are known that present different images to the left and right eyes thereby creating a 3D imaging effect. While such viewing systems have benefits and advantages, the cost of specialized displays for large sized images such as in a living room may be prohibitive and the technology might not work especially well on large screens. Some segments of the gaming community have become used to playing certain kinds of games (e.g., action-adventure, sports, etc.) on large LCD, plasma or other high-definition display screens. While it may eventually be possible to deploy large display screens especially adapted for 3D viewing in a cost-effective manner, there will likely always be legacy 2D display screens for which it would be useful to provide a 3D display experience without use of special glasses or other special display technology.

[0005] Much work has been done in the past in connection with tracking a viewer's position or viewpoint, and generating a responsive 3D display. For example, it is common in virtual realty or other similar systems to provide a so-called "heads-up" display that is responsive to the position and orientation of a user's head. In some such systems, a user wears a special helmet containing inertia measurement electronics. The helmet senses the direction the user is looking as well as the orientation of the user's head. In response, a computer generates an interactive image that reflects the user's current viewpoint. Such images so generated can provide a high degree of realism and interesting three-dimensional imaging effects. It would be desirable to provide similar 3D imaging using a home television and other home electronics within cost, usability and other constraints present in the average home.

[0006] The exemplary illustrative non-limiting technology herein enables 3D viewing on conventional 2D displays such as home television sets by tracking a person's viewpoint. Detecting a player's viewpoint movement to change the viewing of the displayed object gives the illusion that the object is physically present in three-dimensional space. Viewpoint movement detection can provide collision-related game logic benefits such as allowing a player to dodge projectiles, giving a game character an ability to "see" the player when not behind line-of-sight obstacles, and other advantages.

[0007] Some exemplary illustrative non-limiting implementations enable physical presence on standard two-dimensional displays such as televisions through tracking a player's viewpoint using a relatively wide field of view (FOV) so that tracking does not stop prematurely when the player moves out of range Additionally, object placement is used to maximize parallax, which in turn enhances the effect(s) of physical presence.

[0008] In other illustrative non-limiting implementations, additional game play capabilities are enabled to e.g., moving the user's head and body to position the eye as a natural motion to seeing 3D objects. This allows participating game players to for example dodge game objects, and to permit virtual game characters to be "aware" of the human game player's location and/or presence.

[0009] In some illustrative non-limiting implementations, tracking a single point on or near the user is sufficient to enable such a dramatic effect. Tracking more points allows for additional capability, but even single point tracking provides significant and dramatic benefits.

More at the link.

What has me really excited is if they could have new technology where say they revived Wave racer and you could feel the current and see the water outside the screen! As in AR not VR.

This new innovation I really believe will innovate the industry again! I for one don't want just another ps4 or Xbone!

BBTC

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Nintendo has stated that NX will launch in March 2017.

However don't be surprised if it gets delayed another 6-8 months to fall 2017.
Yeah that's my thught too
Dude ... as long as the console isn't released, and possibly even after release, Nintendo is of course "working on it". Since when do we hold a PR non-answer literally?

You know that developers need to have dev kits with most of the major features already implemented lots of months(or even a year or more) before the release of the console?
If they are still working on this feature in the best case developers that are already working on NX won't be able to fully(or at all) use this feature.

Manoko

They have nothing to show and they're still trying to decide on a gimmick.

Definitely feels like it.

The absence of the NX reveal at e3 was already a pretty big indicator that Nintendo's still undecided on what they want the NX to be.

They honestly sound rather lost, there must be conflict within teams inside of Nintendo as to what paths the NX should take.

AzaK

With launch so close I would bet it's not really a major tech idea and to be leaving it this late makes me wonder how half arsed it will be.

You know that developers need to have dev kits with most of the major features already implemented lots of months(or even a year or more) before the release of the console?
If they are still working on this feature in the best case developers that are already working on NX won't be able to fully(or at all) use this feature.
I'm well aware that devs at a certain point in time need a near final devkit, yes. But i'm also not overthinking a PR statement in the likeness of "It's not the same content, it's not the same game" to the point of thinking "Hm, this might mean that they're not even done with the drawing board" ... you know?

But feel free to continue to cannon ball to conclusions, it's not that you're not having enough company in doing so.

As a favor for me, try to read up the rumors we had so far, from people who hold a certain reliability regarding leaks and rumors, and try to rethink how far or not Nintendo is with NX, ok?

Wildean

Why do people keep mentioning holograms? Has there been some rumour around that? After the lacklustre 3DS launch I wouldn't expect another purely visual gimmick from Nintendo; they'll do something with the controls, something that simplifies them.

Matbtz

They have nothing to show and they're still trying to decide on a gimmick.

I think a lot of people are overthinking that quote. There is no way they don't know or working intensively on the gimmick for it to work properly. We are 9 months away of the release, maybe it will be delayed but with the Wii U dead and buried I don't think they are willing to delays further the next generation of home console.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm well aware that devs at a certain point in time need a near final devkit, yes. But i'm also not overthinking a PR statement in the likeness of "It's not the same content, it's not the same game" to the point of thinking "Hm, this might mean that they're not even done with the drawing board" ... you know?

But feel free to continue to cannon ball to conclusions, it's not that you're not having enough company in doing so.

As a favor for me, try to read up the rumors we had so far, from people who hold a certain reliability regarding leaks and rumors, and try to rethink how far or not Nintendo is with NX, ok?
Rumors are... well just rumors, i really don't like how neogaf use to jump to conclusion saying that a rumor is false(especially if bad) while another one is true(especially if good), i never trust official PR of an unannounced/upcoming console but this sounds reliable and in any case we are talking about Miyamoto, not just some dude on twitter.

Hermii

Yeah that's my thught too

The ps4 added 4gb of ram right before release, the gamepad looked different the first time it was shown. That they're still working on it doesn't mean anything.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
The ps4 added 4gb of ram right before release, the gamepad looked different the first time it was shown. That they're still working on it doesn't mean anything.

That's not the same at all, a change with better specs changes basically nothing for the devs that can just release a game that doesn't take advantage of the better hardware, he's talking about a (innovative?)"feature", think if nintendo was still "working on" the second screen of the of the ds or the motion control of the wii not that long before the release.

Rumors are... well just rumors, i really don't like how neogaf use to jump to conclusion saying that a rumor is false(especially if bad) while another one is true(especially if good), i never trust official PR of an unveiled/upcoming console but this sounds reliable and in any case we are talking about Miyamoto, not just some dude on twitter.
What rumors did you read? If anything, it's the opposite when it comes to Nintendo, bad ones taken as the one true word, (more) positive ones getting the "LOL sure, it's Nintendo" treatment.

And about Miyamoto, sure, guy's not some random person. But iirc that great non-sense "Not the same game" came from no other than Nintendo of America's current COO, Reggie Fils-Aimé. :]

Hermii

That's not the same at all, think if nintendo was still "working on" the second screen of the of the ds or the motion control of the wii not that long before the release.

I interpret it as saying they are still finalizing it. Which they probably did 10 months before the ds and wii was released as well.

sinxtanx

That's not the same at all, a change with better specs changes basically nothing for the devs that can just release a game that doesn't take advantage of the better hardware, he's talking about a (innovative?)"feature", think if nintendo was still "working on" the second screen of the of the ds or the motion control of the wii not that long before the release.

you DO realise that they were still working on the second screen of the DS and the motion control of the Wii 9+ months before their respective launches, right? hardware is fluid for much longer than some people on this forum would like to admit

sm my freaking h

MDave

I like one of the ideas about wearing a headband that a camera/sensor on the TV can see, and because it knows your exact head position in relation to the TV, it can create a sort of "Looking out a window" experience on your TV, as long as you are not too close to it.

Something just like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

Top Bottom