• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has the Overload of JRPGs harmed Final Fantasy XV?

If anything, XV is "harming" that overload of JRPGs we're in the midst of.

Seen a good bit of people hinging any resurgance on its quality and sales power.

Eolz

Haha yeah why not? When I first made the post I was just fairly confident and wanted to throw that out there seeing what others thought, never meant to spark such a debate or suggest that I am some video game sales expert.

Ideally I was thinking after a year of release, which complicates things because Europe could be significantly later.

Well, I was asking about the time mostly because it's unlikely P5 will get a big sale in its first year. P4G very likely got a good third of its sales numbers once it started getting regular sales.

I completely agree that Persona is more popular than ever mind you, but there is no guarantee it'll do more than 1.5M WW in its first year (at best). It'll be more interesting to watch in Japan than WW.

Won't do an avatar bet because I'm not a fan of those things :p

edit: just seen your edit for 1 year after europe launch. 1.5 to 2M for me (again, at the very best).

HotHamBoy

Final Fantasy has harmed FFXV. No one asked for this. I used to love the franchise but it's just a discoherent jumble of ideas and verticle slices now.

Talonz

FFXV isn't a JRPG. to me. It looks like an action game. It'll be the first FF game I don't buy.

Persona 5 is shaping up to be the biggest JRPG release when it finally releases.

Tellaerin

I misread the title as "Has the Overlord of JRPGs harmed Final Fantasy XV?" and came in here wondering what game was supposed to be the "Overlord". >.>

Abdiel

Lol. Dampened the hype, huh? I guess that's GAF for you.

Preorders for the game are higher than ever, folks. We didn't lose any copies after E3, though the MS showing didn't earn it any new ones for the XB1 version, it seems like.

It's one of the highest preordered games I have in my list of SKUs right now, it's been accumulating for awhile, but the PS4 SKU has been building steady and after some of the showings with Uncovered and so on, it's gotten solid boosts. I think it's going to do well for itself.

Not COD numbers or anything. But that would be absurd anyway.

Edit - By the way, this thread is hilarious. Seriously guys. Hyperbole out the ass, oh my god you all are amazing. <3

Preorders for the game are higher than ever, folks. We didn't lose any copies after E3, though the MS showing didn't earn it any new ones for the XB1 version, it seems like.

It's one of the highest preordered games I have in my list of SKUs right now, it's been accumulating for awhile, but the PS4 SKU has been building steady and after some of the showings with Uncovered and so on, it's gotten solid boosts. I think it's going to do well for itself.

Edit - By the way, this thread is hilarious. Seriously guys. Hyperbole out the ass, oh my god you all are amazing. <3
O look non hyperbole retail and marketing experience opinion let's see what comes next(thank god for u)

Final Fantasy is the mainstream RPG. I think a majority of people that play XV might not even necessarily care any of those other rpgs that were listed.

I do have to agree with everyone saying FFXV has harmed FFXV more than anything else. I really want it to be a good game, and I really want it to do well. I do get a bit concerned with the more I see of the game, especially in regards to the combat, the disjointed localised dialogue, and being stuck with the potentially irritating caricature combo of Ignis/Prompto/Gladio for an entire game. Noctis is really refreshing character, though, so I'm looking forward to seeing where the story will take him. The soundtrack and the environmental art direction is still gorgeous, too.

I'm still a bit baffled by some of the XV game/Kingsglaive redesigns, and how the game is being treated by Square in general. It feels like Square is Steve Buscemi-ing with 'how do you do, fellow Westerners?' Under Nomura's reign, the game felt stylistically consistent. Noctis and Gladio don't look remotely related to their dads anymore, the hell. Luna's in-game and her Kingsglaive design are extremely different, whereas Regis Stark is the same across both. It just sometimes feels like XV doesn't know what it wants to be, and in trying to appeal to everyone at once, has really lost its identity.

That is great to hear, though, thank you. I'm frustrated with XV, but I want it to do well.

Korigama

FFXV has done enough to harm FFXV for those uninterested in it. Being spoiled for choice is no excuse, for anyone who still wants it would be perfectly capable of making time for it.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I wonder if any JRPG this gen will get a 90+ on metacritic. The only one that seems likely so far is Persona 5.

Persona 5...................................................and Bloodborne/Dark Souls 3(come at me!)

Inuhanyou

Kh3
*drops mic
#believe

As long as we have all been waiting for KH3, i think the mess of the story and just the journey to get here will lower a lot of scores, regardless of how the game design actually ends up being.
Or made it an actual game

Anyone could have made it an actual game. But SE's fuck ups made it so that nobody could make it an actual game until it was rebooted and given higher priority in the company.

Eolz

I don't think anyone here said that FFXV won't sell well though.

As long as we have all been waiting for KH3, i think the mess of the story and just the journey to get here will lower a lot of scores, regardless of how the game design actually ends up being.

Anyone could have made it an actual game. But SE's fuck ups made it so that nobody could make it an actual game until it was rebooted and given higher priority in the company.
Well that's not fair kh3 was only officially announced in 2013. If that's the standard , getting to persona5 was a rough journey too

Inuhanyou

Well that's not fair kh3 was only officially announced in 2013. If that's the standard , getting to persona5 was a rough journey too

generally being unrelated to the previous entree and such gives you more leeway. It also helps that what you do well is so good that it generally doesn't even matter how long you wait because for most people, its a new franchise.

Persona can only get less niche and more mainstream as time goes on

brawly

CLq_RFe1_UEAAv_LOy.jpg

As a huge fan of both mainstream and niche jRPGs, the constant need to pit them against each other in a Highlanderesque "there can be only one" zero sum battle is disheartening and irksome.

In the olden days, jRPGs built hype for each other. The success of one sent people out looking for another and often taking a chance on a game they didn't know much about.

Now many in forum land seem convinced that if FF XV succeeds it will be at the detriment of P5, WoFF, DQ11, Nier, and vice versa.

But if enough jRPGs are received well enough there will be more funding for future jRPGs and more jRPGs available. Not everyone has to like everything, but it's possible to be excited for thing A without automatically determining thing B has no redeeming value.

If anything, the relationship between XV and those more niche games releasing afterward (at least outside enthusiast forums) is more likely to be this: if XV is a big hit, those games may find a wider audience. If XV bombs, it's likely to cut into the casual interest in other jRPGs.

Did anyone in here say that it wasn't going to sell?

Hype levels =/= sales

The game does look impressive but the demo and the footage shown the past E3 were pretty bad; boring combat mechanics is what will work against the game if they don't do something about it. Let's not forget that Tales of Xillia got better reception in Japan than FFXIII some years ago. Yes, FF is still a thing and it will sell okay but if people don't like it we'll see it too in the second hand bin.

ar4757

Yeah people will buy it but will they like what they buy

The game does look impressive but the demo and the footage shown the past E3 were pretty bad; boring combat mechanics is what will work against the game if they don't do something about it. Let's not forget that Tales of Xillia got better reception in Japan than FFXIII some years ago. Yes, FF is still a thing and it will sell okay but if people don't like it we'll see it too in the second hand bin.
Better reception what like player wise? Pretty interesting if so

Spman2099

Everyone wants Final Fantasy XV to lead the wave of amazing RPGs and Japanese developed games. I think most of us would be happy if it was the first of many games to solidify the genres resurgence.

However, the weak showing are really making it hard to see that as anything more than a fantasy.

Bluenoser

No, the extremely long development time and changes its had since it was Versus XIII harmed FF XV.

1st post nails it.

But in addition to that, they have been ignoring what their fans have been asking for for over a decade now. The real Final Fantasy died with Squaresoft.

Rad-

Not many of those look that interesting so I have to go with no. Not that FF15 looks that interesting either though...

Mediking

The overload of JRPGS actually makes me smile because I try to support nearly all of them when I can. FFXV still looks interesting to me and I'm VERY excited to experience the story. I'll try to master the combat like I did in the amazing Episode Duscae.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The company was still Squaresoft when X was made- they hadn't merged with Enix yet... but don't let facts get in your way.

He must have been a scrub with a Greatest Hits copy of FFX that had the Square Enix logo ;)

A Final Fantasy should be near top priority regardless.

The fact I'm looking at skipping XV completely at launch is entirely the fault of XV and nothing to do with the other games available. Everything about the game looks like a mess, and the demos they've given me have definitely not helped the case.

FStubbs

What's the source for P4G doing a million?

Also, anyone know what's the best-selling non-Nintendo, non-Dragon Quest, non-FF RPG? I feel like the number of those that have done a million is pretty small. Persona 5 doing three million would be unprecedented three times over. I think P4 and Catherine are Atlus's best-selling games in the west and they've done nowhere near that much. Let's not forget that Horizon comes out just two weeks after.

Three million is like, better-selling than every Devil May Cry game. I think that's as much as Kingdom Hearts 1, or what, Tomb Raider 2013 numbers? A typical Monster Hunter? Three million is a ridiculous number.

I assume you mean jRPG since Skyrim, The Witcher 3, and Mass Effect are huge. And I'm guessing you're counting Kingdom Hearts as part of FF, otherwise that's your easy answer.

Didn't Tales of Symphonia sell a ton?

Ray Down

Banned
I assume you mean jRPG since Skyrim, The Witcher 3, and Mass Effect are huge. And I'm guessing you're counting Kingdom Hearts as part of FF, otherwise that's your easy answer.

Didn't Tales of Symphonia sell a ton?
I heard it sold sightly over a million.

Top Bottom