• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD January 2013 Sales Results [Up7: Wii U 57K (CNET), Vita ~35K, PS3 201K]

That was in the middle of the GC's lifespan though. Makes more sense to compare the consoles launch-aligned ... and Wii U has apparently fallen behind already.

Oh yeah, forgot the GC came out November 2001 in US.

Ready for this, guys?

GAMECUBE
LAUNCHED IN AMERICA NOVEMBER 2001

NPD, January 2002 (4 weeks)----------59K

WII U
LAUNCHED IN AMERICA NOVEMBER 2012

NPD, January 2013 (5 weeks)-----------55K

...January 2002 was the worst month for the Gamecube in its entire history.

The Wii U still did worse than the Gamecube.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Goddamn. If the Wii U really did 55K, then it truly is the bomba. Can't say I didn't see it coming though thanks to Nintendo's awful decision-making/marketing and everyone sitting back until Microsoft and Sony release their beasts. Tough luck Nintendo. Just go third-party and release your games on consoles/PC/iOS/Android and make your billions that way.

With the way 360/PS3 keep selling, I'm starting to waver on how I feel. I wonder if the next systems hit with lackluster sales, too.

I will say, PS3/360 ecosystems developed in a different world. There is a huge variety of software, at a huge variety of price points.

Sandfox

I cannot believe they thought Mario and ZombiU would get them through to E3.

They have other games coming but I'm sure that wasn't planned lol

Ready for this guys?

GAMECUBE

NPD, January 2002----------59K

WII U

NPD, January 2013-----------55K

The fact that nobody was buying Gamecubes to play Melee makes me sad.

As did Sony with Vita. It's baffling how these companies can make these decisions when we can see this happening a mile off. No one in their right mind thought Vita would be a success. And the Wii U reactions at both E3 2011 and E3 2012 spoke volumes.

Of course, then the Wii always gets brought up - "Analysts and 'the Internet' said Wii would be a disaster, and it became the fastest selling console of all time!" An anomaly.

GAF (I know I know we're all individuals) all seemed to agree that the Wii U would sell out for months. I'm guilty of that.

After the horrible decisions they've made on this launch, they SHOULD be done.
Before this launch too. NCL's slowness on restructuring and preparing for HD software development is a huge mistake. They should have made the transition years ago when they basically left the Wii to die.

Mr Swine

Banned
As it looks now this will be the last home console from Nintendo, I really don't think they are going to launch another console after this. They can't get devs to make games for their hardware. Maybe it's the best for the market? Let Nintendo focus exclusively on the handheld market and let Sony and MS duke it out

WiiU has NSMBU, which is largely a direct sequel, Nintendo Land, and ZombiU. It just doesn't have the lineup.

It has Black Ops 2, Assassin's Creed 3, Batman Arkham City, FIFA etc.
lol
As it looks now this will be the last home console from Nintendo, I really don't think they are going to launch another console after this. They can't get devs to make games for their hardware. Maybe it's the best for the market? Let Nintendo focus exclusively on the handheld market and let Sony and MS duke it out
You could have said exactly that about GameCube 10 years ago.

So what do Nintendo do to fix this ?, (bearing in mind they can't just click their fingers and create software out of thin air).

Before E3 they only have, any system sellers ? -

Need for Speed: Most Wanted.
Aliens Colonial Marines.
Lego City Undercover.
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.
Wii Fit U.
Game & Wario.
Pikmin 3.
Wonderful 101 (still a launch window game ?).

qq more

Ohh I forgot about that.

Yeah.... people need to probably shut up about that now. Considering how horrifying this thing is doing.....

Deal with it.

Yeah I would like to have a console that's selling really poorly to have longer droughts!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wasn't that shown to be inaccurate?

Don't know. I thought it was one of their execs that said it.

Seriously, Nintendo really hasn't done one thing right with this entire launch:

1) Not enough games
2) Not enough difference from previous generation
3) Terrible confusion because of the name
4) Worst marketing campaign in quite some time

It's almost as if they were trying to bomba this thing.

So Nintendo fans, Early Wii-U adopters, and generally hopefull individuals were now in agreement right?

This console is a massive failure. No more spins about it being business as usual and having the same growing pains as previous consoles. This is really bad.

They have to price drop right? That's there only option?

Announce all their 1st party games at E3 along with a $100 dollar price drop.

What do you guys think?

boiled goose

good with gravy
55k?!

Bomba total.

By this point, Gamecube had Rogue Leader, Monkey Ball, Luigi's Mansion, Waverace, Pikmin, and Smash Bros. A very healthy lineup, with Resident Evil coming in April, Eternal Darkness in June, and Mario/Metroid/Zelda within the year.

WiiU has NSMBU, which is largely a direct sequel, Nintendo Land, and ZombiU. It just doesn't have the lineup.

Nintendo should get GCN games on the Virtual Console fast and cheap. Even Smash Bros. Melee as a downloadable with off-screen-play would be big.

Unless they do Digital distribution right selling games on the eshop is not going to attract more consumers.

Investing in Nintendo's platform is extremely risky, because consumers don't trust them when it comes to DD.

The thing about the ps3 82k numbers were not only price (nearly twice the WiiU) but the software and it still sold better than WiiU.

Obviously 2013 is different than 2007, but this is bad. I mean I'm not sure what to blame the sales on... Competitive climate, or the WiiU.

prwxv3

Its pretty horrifying to think that the sales are only going to get worse because nothing is coming out for the system.

And now it makes sense why they are having a third party 3DS direct in Japan.

There's no way this is anything "good" for the market. This is a terrible sign for the market, in fact.

Nintendo appeals to a much broader set of people than Sony and MS do. You'll note that the decline of the industry overall is pretty much exactly in stride with the decline of Nintendo sales over the past couple years.

Don't know. I thought it was one of their execs that said it.

Seriously, Nintendo really hasn't done one thing right with this entire launch:

1) Not enough games
2) Not enough difference from previous generation
3) Terrible confusion because of the name
4) Worst marketing campaign in quite some time

It's almost as if they were trying to bomba this thing.

Yes, Reggie did say it, but Nintendo later said that he was incorrect.

I do agree that Nintendo screwed up pretty much everything in regards to launch.

So Nintendo fans, Early Wii-U adopters, and generally hopefull individuals were now in agreement right?

This console is a massive failure. No more spins about it being business as usual and having the same growing pains as previous consoles. This is really bad.

What do you guys think?

whats coming out march - june/july?

Kevtones

What do you guys think?

The system has been out three months. It's not a rousing success - pretty much the opposite. This equates to panic Nintendo which is best Nintendo.

GAF should be extremely happy.

What do you guys think?

It won't sell at $250. Not without software. All signs point to 1st party software being very far away.

What do you guys think?

Well of course the launch is a complete failure, but there are still Nintendo games that can turn around the situation slowly. Mario Kart and Smash Bros being two of them.

Azure J

Before this launch too. NCL's slowness on restructuring and preparing for HD software development is a huge mistake. They should have made the transition years ago when they basically left the Wii to do.

I for damn sure know they had me thinking they'd be ready day and date when they were talking up development of the new building in Tokyo(?) and mass restructuring became talked about around 09-10. How this could still happen especially as Wii pretty much bled out in the street while they worked is just mind boggling. This is really looking bad for every party involved from the top to the bottom at Nintendo.

MrDaravon

The controls should have consisted of evolved Wii motes imo.

Sure, but I don't think that would really help the problem here; I think the lack of games is a much bigger issue than the price. I personally think the system is $50 too much, but that's not ultimately a deal-breaker; the issue is short-term there's practically jack shit for games, and long-term PS4/720 games can't get ported to it, or they will have to be really stripped down.

They either needed to put out the same machine but more powerful so it could take advantage of multiplatform stuff with PS4/720, or don't go the power route but have a more innovative experience with a unique and steady stream of titles to set it apart. They didn't do either, and at this point I don't see this being anything but a 1st party machine with one or two exceptions, just like how the Gamecube was for a lot of people. Which isn't necessarily the end of the world, but it's not going to make anywhere near their expectations probably.

Pikmin 3, and to a lesser extent Bayonetta 2/101/Lego will help out, but I don't think we're going to get another big 1st party title out before next-gen consoles launch and by that time people will already be making those choices.

beast786

Hardware:

Wii U: 55K

ee9073fc50c7b0f472ded37f92b23807.gif

What do you guys think?

As a Wii U owner and Nintendo fan, I agree that currently the Wii U is a massive failure. I'm not a big enough fan as some of these other Nintendo fans though, since I don't wish this same disaster upon the launches of the next Xbox and Playstation. But then again neither of those consoles had companies kill them off years before the next console was released.

Ready for this, guys?

GAMECUBE

NPD, January 2002 (4 weeks)----------59K

WII U

NPD, January 2013 (5 weeks)-----------55K

That is truly scary lol...

Bullza2o

What do you guys think?

If they do this during E3, I'm buying one right away.

Guevara

Maybe Nintendo shouldn't have launched a new home console at all and just consolidated efforts in handhelds. At some point I think they'll go that way.

Baki

There's no way this is anything "good" for the market. This is a terrible sign for the market, in fact.

Nintendo appeals to a much broader set of people than Sony and MS do. You'll note that the decline of the industry overall is pretty much exactly in stride with the decline of Nintendo sales over the past couple years.

They need third party support. They need a competent digital ecosystem. They need to stop letting crazy NOJ run things - they need a management shake-up.

I think an Apple (or Samsung) & Nintendo home console initiative might be an interesting proposition. Either that - or they tank their stock so bad - Samsung or Apple buy them. For now, their handheld dominance will save them.

javac

What do you guys think?

I bought it for £199 on launch day, and enjoy it. Have quite a few games to play and finish on both my Wii U and 3DS. When I'm not playing I go to uni, browse the internet and do other things. By the time I complete my backlog, the situation will be better. Whether that's through new game releases, or a price drop. It doesn't affect me. When a new game comes out I'll buy and play it whether the system is doing GameCube or Wii numbers. I just play it and enjoy it *shrug*

Top Bottom