• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD January 2013 Sales Results [Up7: Wii U 57K (CNET), Vita ~35K, PS3 201K]

They have other games coming but I'm sure that wasn't planned lol

The fact that nobody was buying Gamecubes to play Melee makes me sad.

The market was also a lot smaller 11 years ago.

Wii U selling 55K in 5 weeks...when the Gamecube sold 59K in 4 weeks...confirms that Nintendo seriously fucked up here with the launch.

Amir0x

Banned
oh my god if Wii U is at 55k

wrap this shit up if that's true. Vita and Wii U both need to just go cry in a corner or something at this rate

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Being completely realistic, the best case somewhat realistic scenario for Nintendo and Wii U owners are first party games and niche Japanese stuff. Western support is 100% gone, besides possibly already in development titles.

lantus

Is that a somewhat good outing for Ni No Kuni? I don't think they needed AAA sized returns in order to be success right?

Oh and holy shit Nintendo. I hope they pull through, I would hate to see them disappear. :(

Mr Swine

Banned
There's no way this is anything "good" for the market. This is a terrible sign for the market, in fact.

Nintendo appeals to a much broader set of people than Sony and MS do. You'll note that the decline of the industry overall is pretty much exactly in stride with the decline of Nintendo sales over the past couple years.

And? The market clearly doesn't want Wii U. I don't think sales will be above GameCube even if they dropped the price to $150 and launch all their software this fall till next year. What is Nintendo supposed to do then? They can't survive on first party games a shoe gen again like game cube

Cwarrior

WiiU....55k

funny-gif-Steve-Carell-laughing.gif

Nintendo deserve theses sales number for releasing there worst system of all time, a 7 year late ps3/360 like console that plays bad ports of year old games that's already available on system everyone already owns.

55k is too much for what nintendo is offering.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
A price cut won't change a thing, they need software. And they could easily keep the price as is with a good portfolio.

Yeah the problem here is definitely software.

They need to take every measure they can to secure a strong line-up as soon as it can come out.

That might still be a while from now, but once it starts coming, they want to make sure it doesn't have any droughts.

For people blaming the economy, consoles dying, etc. I want to know who exactly was supposed to be buying the Wii U right now?

PS3/360 owners? Worse online, no achievements/trophies, worse multiplats, no showstopped graphically, online communities barely existent.

Expanded market from the Wii? After Nintendo basically abandoned the Wii, expensive console, expensive expanded market games (Nintendoland at 60 dollars really?)

The Wii is enough for most people. The truth is that we all though NSMBU would be enough to save the console, but what is the incentive to drop 360-410 dollars for NSMBU when there is no real reason to own it? There is honestly just no real good reason to drop the money on the console unless you are a real hardcore fan as we're seeing that last for about a good month and half

If the PS4/720 launch with the same shit lineup with multiplats looking worse or no change, no big 1st party games, and horrendous marketing they will fail too

javac

WiiU....55k

Nintendo deserve theses sales number for releasing there worst system of all time, a 7 year late ps3/360 like console that plays bad ports of year old games that's available on system everyone already owns.

Not cool Aku, not cool at all.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
What exactly was Nintendo doing between the Wii abandonment and the WiiU launch?

This. Nintendo banked on the Wii name and brand and then proceeded to ignore that brand for two years, all the while not having any top tier HD software ready for launch.

HamSandwich

Remember when everyone was proclaiming the 3DS was dead in the water?

I hate the system, but I will buy it on day one of a Smash or Zelda release.

I'd be willing to bet a lot of you would too.

Yup. Imo,there's nothing wrong with the product - they just missed their price point by $40/£40 and havn't marketed the damned thing AT ALL!

This cannot be spun on marketing and price alone.

Crying Baby $599 sold almost 5x more in Jan 2007 competing against the Wii and 360.

Nintendo should get GCN games on the Virtual Console fast and cheap. Even Smash Bros. Melee as a downloadable with off-screen-play would be big.
Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda, but I'm starting to feel like an HD remake of Melee with 1080p, a full fledged online featureset(done by Namco) at $40 on disc and digital would have been a better choice.

For people blaming the economy, consoles dying, etc. I want to know who exactly was supposed to be buying the Wii U right now?

PS3/360 owners? Worse online, no achievements/trophies, worse multiplats, no showstopped graphically, online communities barely existent.

Expanded market from the Wii? After Nintendo basically abandoned the Wii, expensive console, expensive expanded market games (Nintendoland at 60 dollars really?)

The Wii is enough for most people. The truth is that we all though NSMBU would be enough to save the console, but what is the incentive to drop 360-410 dollars for NSMBU when there is no real reason to own it?

Miiverse. it's a social revolution.

Saving the 3DS

You kinda get the impression Nintendo knew this shitstorm was coming when they said last holiday season was all about the 3DS. A weird thing to say when you're launching a new console.

1-D_FTW

Just thought you would slip that in eh? Let me guess, to nail you're point of just how stupid we all are?

To anyone who kept telling people that WiiU was doing fine because it sold almost as much as Wii did in Wii's first two months, yes. They were also annoying. I didn't want to use such strong language, but since you put those words into my mouth, okay. Works for me. It's incredible they ignored how the Wii couldn't be found on shelves for almost 18 months. The demand was incredible. Wii U had supply on shelves after a couple weeks. And yet the spinners only talked about how well it was doing since it sold just a little less than the original Wii. All while ignoring basic supply/demand principles that clearly showed WiiU have a disastrous start.

serplux

And? The market clearly doesn't want Wii U. I don't think sales will be above GameCube even if they dropped the price to $150 and launch all their software this fall till next year. What is Nintendo supposed to do then? They can't survive on first party games a shoe gen again like game cube

Stop kidding yourself. When Nintendo releases Mario Kart 8/next 3D Mario/Retro's game this fall, we'll look back in horror at how badly it sold. And it'll have a successful life.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This. Nintendo banked on the Wii name and brand and then proceeded to ignore that brand for two years, all the while not having any top tier HD software ready for launch.

The combination of these two really gets me.

Like, what were they doing during all that time on the console front?

I get the 3DS needed software, but still.

Wii U is failing every where (well..not quite as bad in Japan, but still bad).

This is all on Iwata.

Not going to dispute he has a share of blame, but as bad as it's failing there is more then enough blame. I'm not sure how it was marketed in other region's but I do know how it was poorly marketed in the US.

I don't think Reggie is very good but you can hardly call for his head over a WW issue.

Reggie is at fault, though he's clearly not alone. No disputing that.

If those numbers hold up he should be fired tomorrow. No ifs ands or buts, just fired.

Agree and as others pointed out above he shouldn't be alone in the unemployment line.

TheOddOne

January sales show continued rough tides for the Wii U
The Wii U

While the NPD no longer provides specific sales numbers for hardware, a representative does tell us that sales of the Wii U hardware for its first three months on the market are down 38 percent from what the Wii's numbers were at that same point. We're told by someone with access to the NPD's data that sales for January were "well under" 100,000 units.

Similarly, we don't know any software sales numbers, but from NPD's report we can see where Wii U SKUs of multiplatform games compare to other SKUs, and it doesn't look good.

In instances where a game exists on both the Wii and the Wii U (Just Dance 4, NBA 2K13, Madden NFL 13, Skylanders Giants and FIFA Soccer 13), the Wii version came out on top every time. In Madden's case, it was even outsold by the portable version for Sony's ailing Vita handheld.

MrDaravon

Realistically I think the only thing they can do short-term is somehow start crazy cranking out GC/GBA releases on the thing. I know I sure as fuck would consider buying one if I could grab say Paper Mario GC/etc + a price drop. I don't think they can throw together any retail stuff that fast though, seems like all of their first part stuff outside of Pikmin or maybe some small downloadable game is next year or later.

Remember when everyone was proclaiming the 3DS was dead in the water?

I hate the system, but I will buy it on day one of a Smash or Zelda release.

I'd be willing to bet a lot of you would too.

Well obviously, the problem is that Smash is likely next year at the earliest and Zelda is likely holiday 2014, if that even. None of that helps the system in the Year of Our Lord 2013 A.D.

Ridley327

Is that a somewhat good outing for Ni No Kuni? I don't think they needed AAA sized returns in order to be success right?

Oh and holy shit Nintendo. I hope they pull through, I would hate to see them disappear. :(

I would be surprised if Namco and Level 5 weren't happy with the numbers; JRPGs that don't have Final Fantasy or Pokemon in the title are still hard sells, even in dead months like January, and I can't imagine that Ni no Kuni was more expensive to localize than a Tales game.

Madao

i wonder if a price drop + NSMBU pack-in would help...

the NES took off mostly because SMB was a pack-in and similarly, the Wii took off thanks to the Wii Sports pack-in. the Wii U not having something of that caliber is the biggest problem since Nintendoland doesn't have the draw of the former two.

Amir0x

Banned

I really am curious about how much Ni No Kuni cost to develop. That game has a lot of love poured into it, and the Studio Ghibli partnership couldn't have been TOO cheap. It's got gorgeous animated scenes, a lush and colorful art style, a ton of content, a huge number of character models, etc. I can't imagine #7 on Single SKU and bombing in Japan is enough to prop it up into sequel territory... but who knows

OddOne said:
While the NPD no longer provides specific sales numbers for hardware, a representative does tell us that sales of the Wii U hardware for its first three months on the market are down 38 percent from what the Wii's numbers were at that same point. We're told by someone with access to the NPD's data that sales for January were "well under" 100,000 units.

Pretty much confirms the 55k number if accurate; that'd indeed be 'well under' that #.

As to Wii U, what can Nintendo actually do? Nintendo Direct Wii U announcements was awesome, but which of those games are going to change the position the system is in? Nintendo keeps relying on Mario, Mario and Mario and people already know what to expect there; Gamecube had Mario too and it didn't change anything if people didn't want the system itself. Nintendo needs to take a few brand new hardcore/casual IPs and market them as hard as they would a main Mario title or Wii Sports, and try to establish some new cornerstones for their portfolio. They're obviously out of gimmicks that appeal to the mass market and Mario won't do it alone.

Baki

Its the same kind of crazy Japanese management that plagued the PlayStation division early on. It's probably much worse at NoJ.

Top Bottom