• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Sony will make any more Demon's Souls games?

Majmun

Miyazaki is only overlooking on the Dark Souls 2 development. Giving the team advice etc. But he's not directing it this time around.

We don't exactly know what he's currently directing. Could be Demon's Souls 2.

All this talk got me in the mood for some demon's souls music. I hope Shunsuke Kida returns for the sequel. His music fit the world so perfectly.

CHC

I loved Demon's Souls but I think it has been "officially" usurped by Dark Souls. I don't think they'll ever return to it unless they just want to use the IP and lore to make a totally different game. If they were going to develop a game that played like Demon's Souls.... well it seems like they'd be better off using Dark Souls as a base franchise as it A) is not exclusive and B) is much better known. "Dark" is a household name in the biz, "Demon's" is much more of a niche / there-before-it-was-cool kinda thing.

Soriku

Yes. Because even though the combat mechanics are similar the setting and gameplay dynamics are pretty different

-Hub World vs. Open world
-World Tendency Events
-Health from herbs
-Soul form/human form

All this stuff could theoretically be in Dark Souls. For example the "health from herbs" is back in Dark Souls 2 because there are consumable items along with the Estus Flask. Demon's Souls also has red phantom enemies which are also back in Dark Souls 2. With the Soul form, it's not exactly the same in DkS2, but your HP can be halved if you die enough as well.

I doubt they'd bring the hub world back again btw. The open world is obviously a natural step forward. Considering you can warp bonfire to bonfire in DkS2 now from the start, people's backtracking complaint is moot now.

RedSwirl

I wouldn't trust Sony to do it without From Software.

WITH From Software, it is the one announcement that, by itself, could convince me to get a PS4.

Alebrije

I loved Demon's Souls but I think it has been "officially" usurped by Dark Souls. I don't think they'll ever return to it unless they just want to use the IP and lore to make a totally different game. If they were going to develop a game that played like Demon's Souls.... well it seems like they'd be better off using Dark Souls as a base franchise as it A) is not exclusive and B) is much better known. "Dark" is a household name in the biz, "Demon's" is much more of a niche / there-before-it-was-cool kinda thing.

I think both games are different , Demon´s Souls has an unique feel and atmosphere , not only the Nexus is a big difference but some aspects of gameplay. I think both franchises can coexist and move to different paths.

Demon´s Soul fanbase is important , If Sony manages to deliver a great DS2 ( hope they hear us ) this franchise can become a "flag" one the same way they have Uncharted, Killzone , God of War. The potential is there.

Yawnier

Banned
Cant really blame Shu. Mere months from launch and the game was reportedly a mess. No lock on, fps around the high teens and so many bugs in their combat engine. The TGS demo was not good. Anyone would have passed on the game. That From and SJ brought it together in the end was nothing short of amazing.

I love DaS, DeS and I loved Kings Field. So looking forward to DaS2.

I love that people will get to play more gameS like these in the near future.

As if we needed any more confirmation at this point that there is indeed a Demon's Souls 2 in development, lol.

Um, Dark Souls WAS Demon's Souls 2???

It's the same in the all the relevant respects? Who cares about the name? The same people made the game?

MercuryLS

Banned
DemonNite basically said there's a DS spinoff coming exclusively to PS4. I'd imagine it's a collab between FS and Japan Studio like the first DS.

Peace Tea

Originally I've always said no. I'm able to replay Demons Souls every year &a half and still enjoy it.

But now I wouldn't mind a new Demons Souls on this next gen hardware. If it isn't announced at this years E3, that'll just kill any future anxiety i may have for when it eventually does appear /arrive. It comes when it comes.

Cant really blame Shu. Mere months from launch and the game was reportedly a mess. No lock on, fps around the high teens and so many bugs in their combat engine. The TGS demo was not good. Anyone would have passed on the game. That From and SJ brought it together in the end was nothing short of amazing.

Wow i never knew that it was in such a dire state during development.

Why would they? They get Dark Souls games for free. It's not like they're gigantic money printers. Let FROM make Dark Souls and cash in on the license fee.

They make more money than David Cage games, and lord knows how much money sony throws at those.

But seriously though, this is one of those rumors that is practically confirmed, imo. The CEO of sony calling Demons/Dark Souls his game of the gen, plus him admitting passing on the IP to be a mistake, plus him actually having platinumed dark Souls himself, plus it's the only explanation for Miyazaki's removal from the Dark Souls II team.
It's coming, that's all I can think.
I bet there's probably a non disclosure agreement, they can't talk about it until Dark 2 has shipped or something. But I bet this summer we're going to get a big reveal about it as a ps4 exclusive.

I think they would have done it by now if they were gonna.

Having said that I would love it if it was true, I will take ANY new Souls game announcement any day of the week! Dark Souls II is my most anticipated game, I don't even care about 'new gen' yet.

Sony should hurry up though if they're gonna, it would make me purchase a PS4 100% as soon as I could find one the moment they announced it. Right now there is no reason to pick one up so I've just held off.

Give me that reason Sony, do it.

I hope so, I liked Demon's Souls design and atmosphere more and it seemed better balanced to me. Not a fan of the Dark Souls', "This game is intended to make you die as much as possible" philosophy.

Difficult for challenge is good, difficult for difficulty's sake is..bleh.

co1onel

Will it be one of the E3 megaton bomb drops? :p

Damn... imagine, between E3 2014 and TGS 2014, Sony unleashing trailers/news on this hinted at Demon's Souls follow-up, The Last Guardian, and whatever Toyama (Silent Hill 1, SIREN, Gravity Rush) is working on.

Japan Studio coming back with a vengeance. ;)

Isn't Toyama working on Gravity Rush 2?

prwxv3

Whelp.

Orayn

Um, Dark Souls WAS Demon's Souls 2???

It's the same in the all the relevant respects? Who cares about the name? The same people made the game?

They didn't, actually. People underestimate the role of Sony Japan Studios. Hell, the whole thing was Takeshi Kajii's idea in the first place since he loved King's Field and approached From Software about the possibility of working with them on a sequel or spiritual successor.

cheryl-hmmm-gif1oje1.gif

Joco

I would certainly like to see another. However, if From wouldn't be developing it (which I'm assuming they wouldn't be, since they're working on Dark Souls 2), then Miyazaki has to be in charge of the project. Otherwise it's just not going to have the same feel.

esterk

This is an interesting topic. i think given Sony's pretty good track record with first party games, it could be good. At the same time, I feel like it would be very hard for them to make it feel fresh and compete vs Dark Souls 2 without seeming too much like a retread.

Shengar

As long as there are Miyazaki, I'm in.
The secret project he been working since 2012 must be Demon's Souls 2, it must be.

No I don't. I think people should stop with the wishful thinking and realise that it's never going to happen. It would be a step backwards financially for From if they did it and if another dev tried it would likely be ridiculed.

I remember one of the GAF insiders alluding to it ages ago for GDC or E3 or one of those events and predictably it never materialised. Yoshida screwed up by not securing worldwide publishing rights, he thought the game sucked and now that ship has sailed.

Sanctuary

Demon's Souls is the superior Souls game.

Any other opinion is wrong.

So what exactly makes it so much better, except for the nostalgia/first Souls experience for many? The world layout is different, but I don't really see how that makes either strictly superior, even if Dark just feels like a rehash in many areas. Demon's is also actually easier once you can start carrying around a bay full of grass. Demon's also seemed to be slightly faster than the console versions of Dark, but the PC version of Dark is about on par.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
This is an interesting topic. i think given Sony's pretty good track record with first party games, it could be good. At the same time, I feel like it would be very hard for them to make it feel fresh and compete vs Dark Souls 2 without seeming too much like a retread.

Sony did say just after DeS was released (or just before DaS) that they wished they had signed an exclusive deal with FS for DeS. Maybe DeS2 will be part of a new deal?

Wolff

I REALLY wish they did it. It would be fantastic and i hope to see something soon, maybe at E3.

Those rumors need to be real...

halfbeast

Banned
Why couldn't they just add that part via DLC? Somewhat like the Dark Souls DLC.

because Miyazaki HATES dlc. and considering dark souls got the artorias expansion and DS2 getting pre-order crap, he hasn't been involved with it for a while.

...another hint he's working on DeS2? :)

prwxv3

No I don't. I think people should stop with the wishful thinking and realise that it's never going to happen. It would be a step backwards financially for From if they did it and if another dev tried it would likely be ridiculed.

I remember one of the GAF insiders alluding to it ages ago for GDC or E3 or one of those events and predictably it never materialised. Yoshida screwed up by not securing worldwide publishing rights, he thought the game sucked and now that ship has sailed.

They never alluded it to any events just that is existed. You better hope you are wrong though. You will be very popular in the announcement thread if it happens.

because Miyazaki HATES dlc. and considering dark souls got the artorias expansion and DS2 getting pre-order crap, he hasn't been involved with it for a while.

...another hint he's working on DeS2? :)

Didn't he say he wanted to work on something less depressing after Dark Souls?

Top Bottom