• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shots fired at Police during Dallas Police anti-violence protest (5 officers killed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe

A very interesting point and it also brings up the question; how much training do American police officers receive?
They have academies.

Though you realize expecting them to match his level of skill would be further militarizing a force that many people already feel is too militarized, right?

Yamauchi

Banned
I honestly didn't think this was going to be the work of a black power terrorist. I kept thinking it might be neo-nazi militia idiots trying to cause chaos. Very sad for the implications of this act.

I don't think his point was about keeping things a status quo, it's obvious things need to change. But more along the lines that if you take your emotions out of it and look at the numbers, homicides are committed in a hugely disproportionate number based upon race. When ~14% of the population commits ~50% of the murders, there is an issue. And it's not racist to point it out.

In what context is this discussion taking place?

frogger

That means your sister had racist tendencies inside of her and you just hadn't seen it, man. I don't have a bad experience with someone who is (insert race) and refer to them "in the heat of the moment" as (insert racial slur). E-V-E-R. Read that again, EVER. That's vile and a sign of a very flawed person. A jackass is a jackass, a motherfucker is a motherfucker and a bitch is a bitch, regardless of race, nationality, religion, etc. Has nothing to do with race, being a bad or good person has nothing to do with race!

That is true. But sometimes certain aspects or behaviors have strong association with race, which make racial profiling a bit easier, even at subconscious level it makes the difference between life and death.

And that racist "instinct" isn't instinct at all. It's not something that we're naturally pre-disposed for, it's something that you've learned through cultural osmosis. A lifetime of having negative perceptions of minorities reinforced through film, television, books, cartoons, toys, music, and the news has a profound effect on how we view one another. You can turn on the tv at nearly any point in your day and see some kind of negative portrayal or story of a minority, from blacks to mexicans, to muslims and persians and arabs, etc, etc. Seeing that day in and day out, no matter how open minded and fair you are is going to get to you. You have to actively be battling against the blatant demonizing of minorities in order to not have that sort of bombardment affect you.

I'm not a psychologist or sociologist, but I'm not convinced that it isn't instinct. If you look at every culture (or at least all the ones I can think of off the top of my head), the darker people tend to be the ones looked down on, treated worse, or an entirely different caste of people. In Mexico there are dark-skinned mexicans and light skinned mexicans. In Southeast Asia there are dark skinned and light skinned people. In India it's the same. In all these cases there are deep-rooted cultural biases against the darker skinned people.

I don't know what causes this, and it would probably make an interesting research topic for some doctorate student, but you would be naive to think it's unique to the US, or even to predominantly "white" cultures.

akira28

They have academies.

Though you realize expecting them to match his level of skill would be further militarizing a force that many people already feel is too militarized, right?

well they go through a miltary type induction already cadets, academies. military structure built into the force. and its great if your entire aim is to put a bunch of boots on the ground to control people with guns, but if you want your police force to do more and be more, then we're going to have to start early.

not some computer slideshow or three days out of a year's worth of classes to forget.

I'm not a psychologist or sociologist, but I'm not convinced that it isn't instinct. If you look at every culture (or at least all the ones I can think of off the top of my head), the darker people tend to be the ones looked down on, treated worse, or an entirely different caste of people. In Mexico there are dark-skinned mexicans and light skinned mexicans. In Southeast Asia there are dark skinned and light skinned people. In India it's the same. In all these cases there are deep-rooted cultural biases against the darker skinned people.

I don't know what causes this, and it would probably make an interesting research topic for some doctorate student, but you would be naive to think it's unique to the US, or even to predominantly "white" cultures.

Google is your friend. A quick run points to interesting findings.

"New evidence that racism isn't natural". Try it.

Google is your friend. A quick run points to interesting findings.

"New evidence that racism isn't natural". Try it.

"Racism" is a much more general term than what I'm proposing. Racism could mean black against white. It could mean American against Asian. It could mean Russian against Brazilian. "Racism" is a very broad blanket to cast. I'm talking *specifically* about a possible instinctive bias against genetically acquired dark skin. I mean, watching a youtube video about morality is great and the video makes some fine points, but it has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm talking about. There's plenty of empirical evidence to show that dark skinned people are looked down upon across a wide spectrum of societies that have a mix of dark and light skinned people, so it stands to reason to me that there could be something there.

I'm not saying that makes it ok or anything, but I think if we desire progress it's worth keeping our mind open to all the possibilities. You can't solve something you dont' understand.

FiggyCal

Banned
"Racism" is a much more general term than what I'm proposing. Racism could mean black against white. It could mean American against Asian. It could mean Russian against Brazilian. "Racism" is a very broad blanket to cast. I'm talking *specifically* about a possible instinctive bias against genetically acquired dark skin. I mean, watching a youtube video about morality is great and the video makes some fine points, but it has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm talking about. There's plenty of empirical evidence to show that dark skinned people are looked down upon across a wide spectrum of societies that have a mix of dark and light skinned people, so it stands to reason to me that there could be something there.

I'm not saying that makes it ok or anything, but I think if we desire progress it's worth keeping our mind open to all the possibilities. You can't solve something you dont' understand.

Lol. You must be a "I'm just asking questions" type of person.

So how bad has Fox and the Conservative media been today? Watching NBC Nightly News and it's doing a really good job about separating the shooter from the protest.

From what I have heard myself, like on Rush Limbaugh, he was busy trying to tie the mass shooting to BLM, and defining the group as a terrorist/hate.

The media narrative should be (1) the lack of mental health care in US society, along with (2) the treatment of ex-military returning from service, and finally (3) gun laws in the US allowing the mentally traumatized and unstable to acquire an assault rifle.

These are the problems that mainly caused this, not necessarily racial tensions.

Or, we could not malign neuroatypical people when we know jack shit about the guy who did this.

For all we know, he was perfectly lucid.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Or, we could not malign neuroatypical people when we know jack shit about the guy who did this.

For all we know, he was perfectly lucid.

^

people who have mental disorders are more like to be the victims of violence, not the perpetrators.

Racism that is so extreme that it causes a person to slaughter a bunch of random innocent people is pretty obviously a form of insanity.

I disagree. I think it is an important factor in all of these shootings. Did Omar Mateen or Adam Lanka seem mentally healthy to you? I think that if someone goes on a rampage and kills a bunch of people indiscriminately it is clear evidence of mental illness.

Micah Johnson didn't kill random people and he didn't kill indiscriminately. The fact that the police were surrounded by civilians and none of them died is proof of how discriminant he was. Johnson engaged in an act of planned political violence. He was attacking members of an organization he saw as the enemy, just like any military does. You don't need to be suffering from mental illness to do something like this. There's no evidence that he's any more neuroatypical than Fidel Castro, for instance.

We shouldn't classify certain types of violence as "crazy" just because we don't like the outcome.

Doomshine

^

people who have mental disorders are more like to be the victims of violence, not the perpetrators.

Came here to say this. Unless I have missed some recent discoveries, mentally ill are not more violent than anyone else unless substance abuse is also a factor.

DirtyLarry

As a few members may have figured out by now as this is not the first image i have shared, I tend to illustrate things as they happen in the world. Since I primarily do portraits, that usually consists of a tribute illustration to someone who passed away or sometimes someone who is still alive who I respect or appreciate. My portfolio can be found here if anyone is really interested in seeing how I tend to stick to what is going on in the world for my inspirtation. Adobe even featured a few of my illustrations on the Behance website and the Made With Illustrator Draw website which was just really damn unexpected and very cool. It has resulted in a lot of strangers asking me to "draw them a cartoon."

I have been wanting to draw something since the first video hit earlier this week. I then really wanted to draw something once the second video was released. But I could just not come up with anything. How can I draw an illustration to convey so many complex feelings? Especially when I tend to stick to portraits?

Then last night happened, what this thread is all about, and when I woke up this morning and I watched the Season Finale of Mr Robot in preparation for the S2 premiere next week, I all of a sudden found my inspiration thanks to a scene in it.

With the above description out of the way, here is an illustration I have done to try and convey my feelings of all of the shit that has gone down the past four days that is simply titled...
"Inspired By Recent Events"
Done on an iPad Pro using Adobe Illustrator Draw and an Apple Pencil
gQUb.png

Indicate

Of course CNN goes lightly and leaves out the details by not showing this tweet in addition to the other one they showed. Don had the opportunity to ask him about the supposed other uneducated black thug.

Micah Johnson didn't kill random people and he didn't kill indiscriminately. The fact that the police were surrounded by civilians and none of them died is proof of how discriminant he was. Johnson engaged in an act of planned political violence. He was attacking members of an organization he saw as the enemy, just like any military does. You don't need to be suffering from mental illness to do something like this. There's no evidence that he's any more neuroatypical than Fidel Castro, for instance.

We shouldn't classify certain types of violence as "crazy" just because we don't like the outcome.

I get that he had a racist agenda, but unless he ends up actually being an agent of some larger organization I will continue to view him as a lone maniac that shot a bunch of peaceful, innocent people. Just like Orlando, Sandy Hook, Columbine, Virginia Tech, etc.

Ponn

Banned

'
Lime wasn't classifying anyone as "crazy', that's maligning by saying that. PTSD a very real, very horrible thing that very much causes symptoms we are seeing here is just "crazy". It can heighten aggression and intense feelings of being threatened. Instead of trying to reduce this incident into just one or two things that are more palatable for various agendas how about we treat it with the nuance that it deserves. People come back from overseas and the military with these issues and they don't treat them for the issues they caused. Let's at least try to recognize this as a very real possible issue that contributed this and start demanding, among all the other things, that the Government starts treating the ex-military they use, churn out and throw away afterwards with some respect and provide better help for them. I've personally sat by veterans with this issues and they wouldn't fit your definition of 'crazy". They did need help though and they had to fight for it, and most were forced to drive from one state to another (mine) because it was the closest approved place. And even then they were treated with a different, expedited schedule of help that in the end wasn't doing much for them (12 week sessions being shrunk to two weeks). So yea, lets not sweep one problem under the rug that desperately needs help just because it doesn't fit into a certain narrative.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
What's Don Lemons deal

Dude made a reference to pulling your pants up when interview the Hughes brothers

Guy is a fraud and in no way a good or hell even competent journalist. I had to move over to CBSN last night when he repeatedly called Mr. Hughes a "suspect" instead of POI 10 or so times in under 2 minutes.

Only saving grace for CNN is Cooper I really hope he leaves so there is no reason to watch them.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Racism that is so extreme that it causes a person to slaughter a bunch of random innocent people is pretty obviously a form of insanity.

Not legal insanity which is the only one that matters. Psychopathy is not an excuse, this was effectively a hate crime.

I get that he had a racist agenda, but unless he ends up actually being an agent of some larger organization I will continue to view him as a lone maniac that shot a bunch of peaceful, innocent people. Just like Orlando, Sandy Hook, Columbine, Virginia Tech, etc.

So if you murder soldiers with the backing of a government, you're a-ok? The inconsistent view of violence, particularly state v. civilian violence, is counterproductive if our goal is to reduce violence overall.

Also, I did not say he was racist. Racism is a philosophy built to morally justify white supremacy. Since he was murdering people in protest of white supremacy, his killing, whatever else they were, were not racist.

So if you murder soldiers with the backing of a government, you're a-ok? The inconsistent view of violence, particularly state v. civilian violence, is counterproductive if our goal is to reduce violence overall.

Also, I did not say he was racist. Racism is a philosophy built to morally justify white supremacy. Since he was murdering people in protest of white supremacy, his killing, whatever else they were, were not racist.

A murder isn't a protest. He specifically stated he hated whites and targeted whites. This is racism. There is no argument against this. You don't have to be white to be racist. He targeted whites and depraved them of their rights.

MrMephistoX

Pancake Mix

Absolute nonsense, anyone can be racist to any ethnic group and you know it. Jesus.... Your position and imagined definition of racism is factually wrong and absolutely brutal to read.

Then please stop talking. It's obvious you don't know what you're talking about. And considering you're apparently a Trump supporter? Lol

Which part of me not knowing what I'm talking about is obvious? Because dark skin being stigmatized in many different and varied cultures around the world is a 100% real phenomenon.

A murder isn't a protest. He specifically stated he hated whites and targeted whites. This is racism. There is no argument against this. You don't have to be white to be racist. He targeted whites and depraved them of their rights.

Absolute nonsense, anyone can be racist to any ethnic group and you know it. Jesus.... Your position and imagined definition of racism is factually wrong and absolutely brutal to read.

No, racism is about the perpetuation of white supremacy. A black person can not engage in racism*** because they do not have the institutional power of white supremacy behind them. While Micah Johnson's actions were designed to attack a group of people beyond the ones he personally killed via fear and intimidation, these killings are not a part of a systematic violent oppression of whites because no such system exists.

The rebranding of anti-white rhetoric and violence by black radicals as "racism" is a right-wing tactic designed to dilute the meaning of the word. These killings were not hate crimes. They were not a part of a pattern of genocidal actions. They were 'just' murder. Perhaps terrorism.

***Johnson was no doubt prejudiced and discriminatory. But that's not the same as racism.

FiggyCal

Banned
No, racism is about the perpetuation of white supremacy. A black person can not engage in racism*** because they do not have the institutional power of white supremacy behind them. While Micah Johnson's actions were designed to attack a group of people beyond the ones he personally killed via fear and intimidation, these killings are not a part of a systematic violent oppression of whites because no such system exists.

The rebranding of anti-white rhetoric and violence by black radicals as "racism" is a right-wing tactic designed to dilute the meaning of the word. These killings were not hate crimes. They were not a part of a pattern of genocidal actions. They were 'just' murder. Perhaps terrorism.

***Johnson was no doubt prejudiced and discriminatory. But that's not the same as racism.

Maybe that's just a bad and incomplete definition of racism then if it doesn't take individual actions into account.

You can not be serious. If so....that's shameful and you should feel ashamed.

Pancake Mix

No, you're the one diluting the meaning of the word, and these were hate crimes. I'm not conservative at all, but your definition is factually inaccurate. That definition is absolute nonsense peddled by some of the extreme-left. It doesn't exist in any dictionary and it shouldn't in any legitimate publication. What you're saying is horrific....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom