• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Side of Kpop: Cube, a Toxic Place for Female Idols

Status
Not open for further replies.
'Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action'
G.NA involved in prostitution scandal (2016). She was a good singer, had a successful debut 2011: B&W #22 (Gaon Digital Chart), but Cube ruined her career in the blink of an eye; the persistent pattern of mistreatment and chaotic end to 4Minute, their second money maker; CLC nugu status after two years; Hyuna, the most promoted idol of all-time to the detriment of 4Minute, barely makes a profit.

Hong, the former CEO and now chairman (he quit on July 21, 2016), has always lacked basic ethics e.g. Four members of 4Minute were constantly humiliated (2010); Gayoon was sabotaged from beginning to end; Jiyoon not getting her announced solo debut (2009) ; early symptoms of demoralization (Sohyun, Apr 2012)

Scandals, bullies, foul play, talent loss, irrational favoritism destroys careers and profits

If you are treated like the enemy, you are the enemy (2009 - 2012)
"I always heard people say that my face looks like a pig, it was saddening"
"I am actually a baby-face when I remove my makeup"
"I felt worried and disappointed because I thought that people didn’t know I was a good singer"

1.jpg

2.jp

3.jpg

2013 Dilemma: show the real Gayoon or sink Hyuna's career

Instant impact: 4Minute joins elite (2013)
5.jpg[

Long term impact: 4Minute members' solo activities exploded (2013 - 2016)
17500.jpg

Plastic surgery shame: Gayoon 100% natural, Cube doesn't lift a finger to help her
“People said that I got prettier. I was even under suspicion of having had plastic surgery”
4.jpg

Cube faces unwanted consequences (2015)

“We didn’t know that you sing like that” (2015)
http://4mf-trans.tumblr.com/post/137397286054/interview-160112-gayoon-for-arena-korea
Gayoon excluded from 4Minute at the last moment. Members reject renewal (2016)

Gayoon was basically Miss Korea with angelical voice
She hasn't been seen in 2 months. She's probably gone for good. Bullies made her life impossible.

Yong Pal OST Part 2 (2015)
12.jpg

94000.jpg

I think there might be a message of exploitation somewhere in here, but I'm having trouble parsing it out because the OP is kind of creeping me out.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
As a passing Kpop fan... What?

- J - D -

While the specific plot here is hard to follow from reading the op, the general situation doesn't sound too dissimilar compared to other music industry stories (like Jpop) --The industry is rife with shady dealings and treats its performers terribly and also fails to insulate those said performers from even more terrible scrutiny from the fanbases and media.

Am I on the right track?

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I've never read so much and yet not learned anything.

What the hell is this about?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Is Cube an agency or something?

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what's happening? If you want to loose money show this? Show what? What am I supposed to see there?

Riposte

I scrolled down the replies hoping someone would know what this all means, but (thankfully?) I'm not alone in being utterly confused.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
If I understand this correctly, which I admit to maybe being mistaken, Cube is K-Pop talent agency that has been accused of everything from demoralization to dropping idols to even prostitution.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I scrolled down the replies hoping someone would know what this all means, but (thankfully?) I'm not alone in being utterly confused.

tl;dr version

OP is a huge fan of the kpop band 4Minute, especially of their member Gayoon. They disbanded earlier this year and OP lost his shit.

Cyan

Banned
Sooo...the K-pop industry is forcing plastic surgery and favoritism for some singers over others and then....and then...uhh..

Except the only mention of plastic surgery in the OP is this singer (?) saying she didn't have plastic surgery, but TimeCube won't help her prove it? I think?

Jenov

Is there a difference between the pics of the girls? I'm not following. Did the dark side of pop do something to them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom