• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SD Card and USB C Cord Suggestions for Switch

I bought this $11 USB C charging stand from Amazon and it charges, works as a stable, perfectly angled tabletop stand.

It's absolutely not wobbly, even with the controllers attached, and almost rigid with them disconnected.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DKTR37U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Only slightly odd thing is that the USB cable that emerges from the rear, is micro USB - but the charger on the stand is USB C.

Anyway I'm VERY happy with it so far. Solves all my tabletop charging problems and is small and portable to boot.

Nice, I like it. Will work well as a bedroom charger when I'm too lazy to bring the Switch down to dock in my man cave.

tenchir

Might as well post this here. I done some measurements and found that any USB Type-A charger or power bank will give you at most 1.5A, no exception. It's not because those charger/bank can't supply more than 1.5A, but that Switch will not draw more than 1.5A from anything connected to a legacy cable (Type A to Type C cable).

I done the measurement at UI and not in game because it will fluctuate a lot.

Google 22.5W Charger, it's capable of 5V/3A.
omUKJni.jpg
You can see it's averaging 10W.

Google 18W Charger, it's capable of 5V/3A, 9V/2A
This peaked, but it usually settles around 8.85V/1.85V or around 16W.

Apple 29W Charger, It's capable of 5.2V/2.4A, 14.5V/2A.
This peaked a bit. It's usually at 14.4V/1A or 14.4W.

Apple 87W Charger, It's capable of 5.2V/2.4A, 9V/3A, 20.2V/4.43A.
As you can see, it can alternate between 5V/2A and 8.85V/1.85A or 10W and 16W. It tends to charge at 10W more often.

Might as well post this here. I done some measurements and found that any USB Type-A charger or power bank will give you at most 1.5A, no exception. It's not because those charger/bank can't supply more than 1.5A, but that Switch will not draw more than 1.5A from anything connected to a legacy cable (Type A to Type C cable).

As you can see, it can alternate between 5V/2A and 8.85V/1.85A or 10W and 16W. It tends to charge at 10W more often.

Fascinating, thank you for the info

Turrican3

Sorry, went through a lot of posts in this very thread but somehow I managed to *still* remain confused.

What's the cheapest wall charging available solution that would let me keep playing with the Switch in portable mode when needed? In other words, what kind of specs should I be looking for?

By the way, I really think this should go in the OP.

llexan

Thanks for all the info and research! I've been lurking in this thread and some other places to find a solid, reliable charger to get. Would it be safe/suggested to get the 18W Google USB C charger? Local Best Buy has one that I might pick up if so. Thanks!

jts

...hate me...
The USB-C spec specifically forbids the kind of cable you're describing (essentially an extension cable).

That may well be but there are people having success with USB-C extension cables.

Probably just one more thing that manufacturers aren't strictly following from the spec.

tenchir

Thanks for all the info and research! I've been lurking in this thread and some other places to find a solid, reliable charger to get. Would it be safe/suggested to get the 18W Google USB C charger? Local Best Buy has one that I might pick up if so. Thanks!

The Google 18W and Apple 29W the smallest charger I could find that could charge the Switch decently while playing a game at the same time. The measurement I have done was when the Switch was idling at its UI screen. If you were to play a game then I suspect that the Apple 29W charger would charge a tad faster than 14.4V/1A(seen it hit 1.3A in game) while the Google 18W would max out at 9V/2A.

Its $35 Google charger vs $49 Apple charger, with the Google charger being roughly 60% of the physical size of the Apple charger.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

tenchir

If it's the 11 watt one or less, it won't actually charge the unit faster than it drains. So you'll need to buy one with about 30 watts, I got this one and it works great: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BF3OZ9W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The small square one that comes with iPhone are 5W. The white block charger are 10W and that usually comes with iPad. The Apple 10W will charge at the same speed as the one you have linked. Both will charge at 5V/1.5A.

CPCunha

Found a really good sale and bought an anker 20100 powerbank... but its only USB-A. Should i return it? i dont need to charge WHILE playing, i just need to be able to charge while sleeping on a flight.

llexan

The Google 18W and Apple 29W the smallest charger I could find that could charge the Switch decently while playing a game at the same time. The measurement I have done was when the Switch was idling at its UI screen. If you were to play a game then I suspect that the Apple 29W charger would charge a tad faster than 14.4V/1A(seen it hit 1.3A in game) while the Google 18W would max out at 9V/2A.

Its $35 Google charger vs $49 Apple charger, with the Google charger being roughly 60% of the physical size of the Apple charger.

Awesome, think I'll spring for the Google one then. Thanks again for all the help!

tenchir

Awesome, think I'll spring for the Google one then. Thanks again for all the help!

To be honest, if you are only using it to charge the Switch and nothing else, then get the official charger for $30.

I prefer the Google charger because I can use 2m cable with it, which cost extra. The cable that comes with the Google charger is only 1m long.

How much does a nifty little device like that set you back and where can I find one?

tenchir

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CJ90J6O/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489169206&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=anker+usb+c+24+watt&dpPl=1&dpID=416mDLwmnbL&ref=plSrch

Debating between that and the google charger, since it's a little cheaper and the 24 watts. Anyone on the thread post it yet or have used it.

Its 2.4A or 12W per port. Spend the extra $7 and buy the official charger they charges much faster and at least comes with an attached cable. The Google charger only comes with a 1m cable.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The small square one that comes with iPhone are 5W. The white block charger are 10W and that usually comes with iPad. The Apple 10W will charge at the same speed as the one you have linked. Both will charge at 5V/1.5A.
Just going by personal experience with a 12W iPad brick, but it was draining while playing even though it said it was charging. Mine possibly doesn't have adequate voltage but the Amazon link I posted works perfectly for less than $15.

tenchir

Just going by personal experience with a 12W iPad brick, but it was draining while playing even though it said it was charging. Mine possibly doesn't have adequate voltage but the Amazon link I posted works perfectly for less than $15.

I can only go by what I have tested. Every single USB Type A charger I have tested that can output 2.4A will only output 1.5A to the Switch.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Found a really good sale and bought an anker 20100 powerbank... but its only USB-A. Should i return it? i dont need to charge WHILE playing, i just need to be able to charge while sleeping on a flight.

It's fine - I have that one because it was a lot cheaper than the USB C one. Keeps the battery level or charging slowly while playing Zelda, and charges it faster if sleeping

Will0827

Its 2.4A or 12W per port. Spend the extra $7 and buy the official charger they charges much faster and at least comes with an attached cable. The Google charger only comes with a 1m cable.

Thanks for the advice, and general work and testing, I personally prefer the non attached chargers for the various situations I find I'll be in, I was interested in the google charger because of your previous post about its size, how much bigger or smaller is it than the Nintendo charger.

madmook

I've read that a regular USB-A power bank isn't enough to play and maintain (not having to drain) the Switch battery, but yesterday I gave it a try while playing Zelda for a few hours and my Switch stayed at 100% charge throughout.

I used this old power bank I got a long time ago: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073F92OK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It has two outputs, one for 0.6A and the other 2A. I plugged the Switch into the 2A port using a USB micro cable with a micro to USB-C adapter head, not even a C to A cable. I played Zelda nonstop at around 30-40% screen brightness and Switch volume maxed (no headphones). My Switch started at 99% charge and after a bit I checked and it had gone up to 100% and stayed at that level for the duration of my session, which was about 3 hours. That power bank has indicator lights to indicate its level of charge so I could see it draining down as my playtime went on.

I am very pleased that I can do this, as I'd prefer not to be putting extra charge/discharge cycles on the Switch battery when I don't need to.

obot

Neo Member

Thanks for your excellent and thorough experiment! This is exactly the information I had been looking for.

I just wanted to point out that I've seen some maybe contradictory information. I have a Belkin energy-use monitor that displays power consumption. However, using a 12W Apple iPad brick, I was seeing a consistent power expenditure of ~11W, which suggests that I was getting more than 5V*1.5A = 7.5W. Even with noise in the numbers, that's a significant difference. Could it be the Type-A to Type-C cable you were using that was limiting the current?

Anecdotally, the 12W Apple brick also charges the switch just fine, and it increases charge even while I'm playing Zelda. I've been on travel, and this is the only charger I've been using. The Type-A to Type-C cable I'm using is a Tech Matte: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-TechMatte-USB-C-Google-OnePlus/dp/B01706YAXY.

tenchir

Thanks for your excellent and thorough experiment! This is exactly the information I had been looking for.

I just wanted to point out that I've seen some maybe contradictory information. I only have a Belkin energy-use monitor that displays power consumption. However, using a 12W Apple iPad brick, I was seeing a consistent power expenditure of ~11W, which suggests that I was getting more than 5V*1.5A = 7.5W. Even with noise in the numbers, that's a significant difference. Could it be the Type-A to Type-C cable you were using that was limiting the current?

Those power consumption monitor arent very accurate at low power measurement. Converting AC to DC power also isn't 100% efficient. Federal regulation on these kinds of power source requires a minimum of 85% efficiency to be certified and most are around 90% efficient.

The Switch uses USB-PD standard for charging, so it is likely also using BC 1.2 spec, which limits current to 1.5A, so the Switch will not draw more than 1.5A over A to C cable.

Lexxism

The Switch uses USB-PD standard for charging, so it is likely also using BC 1.2 spec, which limits current to 1.5A, so the Switch will not draw more than 1.5A over A to C cable.
So that A to C can only draw as high as 1.5a? Have you tried C to C?

obot

Neo Member
Those power consumption monitor arent very accurate at low power measurement. Converting AC to DC power also isn't 100% efficient. Federal regulation on these kinds of power source requires a minimum of 85% efficiency to be certified and most are around 90% efficient.

It's certainly plausible that difference in our observations are due to the inaccuracy of my energy monitor; however, I'm still not 100% convinced. My personal playing and charging experience suggests the Switch is getting more than ~7.5W from the Apple 12W adapter.

Also, I just got a 29W Apple USB-C adapter today, and my monitor shows that the 12W and the 29W chargers are both providing ~11W of power to the Switch when it's idle and charging. The 29W adapter is providing as much as ~14-15W when playing Zelda. Note that the latter numbers are comparable to what you obtained for the Apple 29W adapter, and I find it hard to believe that my energy monitor would be grossly inaccurate for the 12W adapter but close to your measurements for the 29W adapter.

I may just throw in a multimeter inline tonight and see how much current the Switch draws from the 12W adapter.

tenchir

It's certainly plausible that difference in our observations are due to the inaccuracy of my energy monitor; however, I'm still not 100% convinced. My personal playing and charging experience suggests the Switch is getting more than ~7.5W from the Apple 12W adapter.

Also, I just got a 29W Apple USB-C adapter today, and my monitor shows that the 12W and the 29W chargers are both providing ~11W of power to the Switch when it's idle and charging. The 29W adapter is providing as much as ~14-15W when playing Zelda. Note that the latter numbers are comparable to what you obtained for the Apple 29W adapter, and I find it hard to believe that my energy monitor would be grossly inaccurate for the 12W adapter but close to your measurements for the 29W adapter.

I may just throw in a multimeter inline tonight and see how much current the Switch draws from the 12W adapter.

Whelp, looks like I am wrong. I used the USB A to C cable that came with the pro controller on the Apple 10W charger and it was going up to 5V/2A when running Zelda. It was the other cable that I was using that was limiting it to 1.5A.

Deepo

Was this already posted? SanDisk Japan made some speedtests:
https://twitter.com/sandiskjp/status/837550339318411265

Upper left is retail gamecard, upper right is SanDisk Extreme, lower left is Sandisk Extreme Pro, lower right is Switch internal memory.

Yeah, this is consistent with my own testing.

I've tested Zelda loading a particular savegame with the following:

The two SD cards came in at almost exactly the same, around 34 seconds. Internal memory was about 2 second faster than both of them.

It seems you really don't need to overspend on a fast SD card for the Switch, as it seems it doesn't really take advantage of it.

I also find it a bit disappointing that the Internal Memory is faster than SD, as there's so little of it, and it can't be used for installation after inserting a SD card, at least not at the moment.

TAS

Just ordered the 200GB SanDisk card from Amazon. :) Question regarding indie games: Are they pretty much digital only unless specified otherwise by the developer? I always prefer to go physical if I have the choice.

TheMink

So this means that it's safe to use many chargers? I'm sorry I'm not a clever man.

Just ordered the 200GB SanDisk card from Amazon. :) Question regarding indie games: Are they pretty much digital only unless specified otherwise by the developer? I always prefer to go physical if I have the choice.

The two SD cards came in at almost exactly the same, around 34 seconds. Internal memory was about 2 second faster than both of them.

It seems you really don't need to overspend on a fast SD card for the Switch, as it seems it doesn't really take advantage of it.

I also find it a bit disappointing that the Internal Memory is faster than SD, as there's so little of it, and it can't be used for installation after inserting a SD card, at least not at the moment.
If it's anything like vita then yeah it will he digital only. Unless you have a rocket league situation where it sells so well that they can afford or could afford a publisher partner to get the game into physical stores.

In regards to the sd cards thanks for that test. I have been waking up whether to get a SanDisk extreme 128gb for £57 or a SanDisk ultra for 200gb.i probably won't fill up the 200gb any time soon but I will be buying most games digital.

sadromeo

So should I buy the 200gb SD card? Works with Switch well?

I have it and it works great with the Switch. You get to access about 183 gb of it.

I would suggest getting a micro sd card for the switch. The internal 32gb will not last too long if you are going all digital.

That should work great!

I would be interested to know how much of the 128gb you actually get to use.

LOL hardly any but the more space ya have the better..gonna get Snipperclips maybe a few other eshop games..I can use the Nintendo EShop cards on the Switch right? I assume games like Snipperclips and others are the same price on the eshop that you can find online?
I also ordered a lan adapter..its USB 3.0..where does it go, on the usb port behind the dock or the one on the sides which one is more reliable

mrklaw

MrArseFace

On the one hand this should be disappointing because there is no clear benefit to the 90MB/S cards. On the other hand the cheaper 45MB/S cards are keeping up fairly well with internal memory and even physical cards, so people can buy bigger cards for the price.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I have it and it works great with the Switch. You get to access about 183 gb of it.

I would suggest getting a micro sd card for the switch. The internal 32gb will not last too long if you are going all digital.
Thanks I think I will go with the 128gb one for now.

Any extra charger I can get that works with Switch? The official Nintendo one is expensive as heck.

nikos

So the 87W MacBook Pro power adapter is safe? If so, I'll use that for now since I already have one and pick up a 29W or second Nintendo power adapter for better portability.

sadromeo

LOL hardly any but the more space ya have the better..gonna get Snipperclips maybe a few other eshop games..I can use the Nintendo EShop cards on the Switch right? I assume games like Snipperclips and others are the same price on the eshop that you can find online?
I also ordered a lan adapter..its USB 3.0..where does it go, on the usb port behind the dock or the one on the sides which one is more reliable

You can use the eshop cards on the switch no problem. The eshop store has a spot to redeem the codes.

I would assume the same about the price in the eshop versus online like Amazon.

Good call on the lan adapter. I would probably plug it in the back in case you wanted to save the side USB ports for charging the joy cons and/or pro controller.

sadromeo

Thanks I think I will go with the 128gb one for now.

Any extra charger I can get that works with Switch? The official Nintendo one is expensive as heck.

Nice!

I think any charger that has PD support with a USB-C port should be good for the Switch. Not 100% sure. I plan to do most of the charging using power banks and multi-usb port hubs plugged into a power socket.

Top Bottom