• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloud announced for Smash Bros

Final Fantasy 7R confirmed for NX.

The OP must realize that anyone old enough to have played Final Fantasy 6 upon its original release would have to be at least 30 now, aka old enough to appreciate who Cloud Strife is, aka old enough to be over the FF7 "betrayal".

Yarbskoo

Cloud is in Smash. Sakurai is a madman. Anything could be in Smash. Anything.

So goddam hyped for that Smash event next month.

Clov

This... definitely defied my expectations. Cloud!? Out of all the Final Fantasy characters, Cloud in Smash Bros? Well, whatever, I'll buy him! His stage looks pretty great, I have to say.

NotLiquid

This is probably the most legendary and unexpected announcement in Smash since Solid Snake

Holy fucking shit lmao

This isn't what I wanted or expected

But I am so happy I finally got to experience legitimate surprise again

GioG

Neo Member
3-VisualBoyAdvance_2007-05-27_04-13-01-41.jpg

Should have seen it coming. Any appearance on a Nintendo product is fair game.

Flakster99

Still shocked. I need this to come out very soon. Looking forward to his move set, the new stages, that music.. just a cool announcement. Woo!!

Trey

So we have Mario, Sonic, Cloud, PacMan, Ryu and Mega Man in the same game?

don't you just want to go back in time and tell your younger self this game exists and is playable with up to 7 of your friends in the same room at the same time? Just to see the look on your face.

Ezalc

The introduction made no sense with the stars, I thought it was something Metroid related, you know Nintendo your other franchise also celebrating it's 30th anniversary. I guess you guys will be celebrating that like you did it's 25th anniversary.

Also, my thoughts on Cloud, irregardless of the aforementioned are that he's probably the most overrated Final Fantasy character. Even worse he's associated with Sony and the PS1, so this makes little sense and is a pretty awful inclusion overall when they could have gone for any character from FFs I - VI or at least Cecil, Terra, WoL, or a black mage.

Frodo

Wish it were Bayonetta, but... oh well. I'm not complaining either.

Edit: Everyone (me included) jumping to conclusions of a NX FFVII port.
It only makes sense, tbh.

Ouroboros

Just confirmed in the direct.

This doesn't make sense.

He has some sort of limit break mechanic that boosts his attacks and recovery. No release info given unless I missed it somehow.

My thoughts:

What a terrible pick. It's hard to find a character more associated with the PS1 specifically. Never really appeared on a Nintendo system except for some spin offs like Theathrythm. Why not go with an earlier FF character, who would actually be associated with Nintendo? An FF1 Black Mage or somebody from FF6 (especially Kefka) would've been some real Nintendo appropriate FF hype. Feels like a dumb decision.

Also fuck Sony for not getting him in All-Stars when fucking Nintendo could do it in Smash.

Pretty sure smash bros is becoming more of a Nintendo and 3rd party game than just straight up nintendo. It is a celebration of video game history....and Cloud was technically on the GBA with KH chain of memories and the upcoming FF Explorers.

JSevere

HOWWWWWWWW I NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS WOULD'VE EXPECTED THIS

Cloud is the Snake of Smash 4 god bless

anyone is possible now

SoldnerKei

I am so damn happy with this, I don't give a damn about all the shit FFVII gets or if he isn't relate to nintendo, I loved that game and getting Cloud in smash is a dream come true. That reveal was awesome.

Vire

Why not Sora though?..

Seems like he would be a much much better fit considering he's been in multiple games on Nintendo platforms.

Blizzard

Banned
The limit break music was AMAZING. And the theme when they mentioned the December Smash direct is classic but still so enjoyable.

Cyber6x

Neo Member
I think people are reallly stretching when they claim Cloud's prominence on Nintendo platforms.
Sakurai's just at a point now where he wants his most iconic characters in there, regardless of Nintendo-themes.

Top Bottom