• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Next Assassin's Creed codenamed "Empires"; set in Egypt, coming 2017

mdubs

Banned
Well there it is, courtesy of jschreier. This is confirmation from his sources regarding the gaf posts this morning

Jason Schreier said:
The next Assassin’s Creed, which we believe is set in ancient Egypt and code-named Empire, won’t launch until 2017, according to both a new online rumor and sources speaking to Kotaku. One person familiar with Ubisoft’s upcoming gaming plans told me this afternoon that the decision to delay Empire from fall 2016 was made after 2014’s disappointing Unity, and that this bump will allow the development team more room to improve and polish the game. The source said this bi-annual approach could be a new trend for Assassin’s Creed, which has suffered from franchise fatigue in recent years.

Jason Schreier said:
Rumors about Empire originated this morning on the 4chan boards, of all places, where an anonymous poster claiming to be a developer at Ubisoft wrote that Assassin’s Creed would be skipping this year and that 2017’s big game would be set in Egypt. Although I haven’t been able to confirm the veracity of this 4chan poster—whose posts are compiled on NeoGAF here—everything he wrote matches up with what I’ve heard independently for months.

I’d heard last year from three different people familiar with goings-on at Ubisoft that the next big Assassin’s Creed would be set in ancient Egypt. Since this morning, two other independent sources have contacted me to corroborate that. I heard about the code name Empire from two of those sources. Three of them told me the game would indeed launch in 2017. Months ago, one source told me the game would also take place in ancient Rome, although that may have changed; the 4chan poster says some sections had been removed from the game. (“There are talks about making a trilogy of this same character, so they might explore Greece/Rome next,” the poster wrote.)

http://kotaku.com/sources-next-big-assassins-creed-set-in-egypt-skippin-1750937895

As someone who's been mostly positive on this series for the past 5-6 years, hearing there won't be a new one this year only makes me feel relieved.

This is the most I've been excited for Assassin's Creed in a while. Still cautious but a lot more optimistic than I've been for Unity and Syndicate.

Guess we'll be getting current gen remasters this year so they can work on Empires. (remember there being a thread about potential remasters of the older AC games last month) If this is true then I am beyond hyped. Been wanting an Egypt AC game for awhile. Syndicate was A LOT of fun!

Stat!

Unity and Syndicate were stellar games. It sucks that its 2017 but Egypt was my #3 location after London/Paris so Im happy about that.

Looking forward to it even though it sucks about 2017 :(

Ok if this is really influenced by The Witcher this could be incredible. I've wanted an Egyptian setting for a long time now

Tenki

Related? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=708121

HP5tg.jpg

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I hope it's a soft reboot at least, I don't mind a future story but the current one is going absolutely nowhere.

Hopefully Kotaku don't get thrown in a Gulag for confirming this, they are so brave.

DNAbro

A possible Ubisoft substitution for this fall’s big Assassin’s Creed could be Watch Dogs 2, which we hear will be out later this year and set in San Francisco

that sounds new

Come on. Are you just messing with us that want a true Prince of Persia game now? I am going to have stare at some beautiful screenshots and only think of what if people wanted less fighting, more puzzles and less stupid crap of controlling memories or whatever the crap is going on for the plot in Assassin Creed games.

DKHF

This is the best move for the series and has me by far the most interested since 3 (especially since it's the Black Flag team).

Ascenion

Hope they change the name from Assassin's Creed Empires to Assassin's Creed V. Show me you're serious Ubi.

Interesting. We'll see if they can deliver on this whole reboot. The Egyptian setting has me excited, at the very least. Still need to try Syndicate too in the mean time.

Having said that, Kotaku do this every year and wonder why Ubisoft has ostracised them? lol.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Never know, you might see an AC Rogue on PS4/XB1 release if the new one has been delayed 2017. You get a game I'm sure a lot of folks haven't played due to moving to PS4/XB1 and some easy money. I do like the sound of Bi Annual releases though.

IvanJ

Banned
Something like this, a series reboot, is the only thing that can bring me back to Assassin's Creed. Been avoiding it completely since the horendous AC3.
This next year, Watch Dogs this fall, as well as The Division and Far Cry this spring - Ubisoft will get quite a bit of my attention...and money.

Good to see ubisoft is learning and taking their time but kotaku better not moan about being blacklisted because this is the reason why. I'm pretty sure ubisoft has already done it because of syndicate leak.

Sulik2

I am super surprised a publisher is actually willing to admit franchise fatigue is a thing and address it.

mdubs

Banned
So is this like 4 years in a row now that Jason has revealed the next Assassin's Creed game? Plus who can forget that gaffer who found out about Unity on a plane

dezzy8

Why are they avoiding Japan and fucking NINJAS!? This game is perfect for it. I look forward to playing in ancient Egypt. Sounds pretty cool.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
So is this like 4 years in a row now that Jason has revealed the next Assassin's Creed game? Plus who can forget that gaffer who found out about Unity on a plane
That was a controlled leak.

The same poster "who accidentally stumbled on that" knew about AC Black Flag and AC Unity.

Auctopus

I'm buying the leak. Also, 2017 could easily mean Jan-March.

What? They jumped on the back of the 4chan leak?

Egypt? Now that's an interesting setting.

And no I'm being completely serious that honestly sounds like a more interesting setting than all the other ones the games have been set in after AC2.

Top Bottom