• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lovely horror of The Evil Within (warning: many pics and location spoilers)

Neiteio

This is an appreciation piece. But first, a few disclaimers:

Note 1: Since GAF auto-resize images to fit the screen on most browsers, they’re presented without tags.

Note 2: The following are not my screens. I pulled them from user galleries on Steam.

Note 3: There are images from all throughout the game. No lore spoilers, however!

Note 4: Dimensions vary. Some were taken with black bars, others without.

Now without further ado…

tew01-amalgam02frsgr.jpg

Similar to the image overload in my Bloodborne thread, I wanted to arrange some screens that illustrate the look of another macabre masterpiece, Shinji Mikami’s The Evil Within.

It’s a divisive title on GAF, but it was my Game of the Year 2014, which is remarkable for a Nintendo fan in a year with the best Smash Bros., Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Country, and other goodies like Shovel Knight and Bayonetta 2. Not to mention another stellar horror title in Alien: Isolation.

But I think we can all agree the art direction here is superb. There is such a wide variety of settings and scenarios, each with its own look and feel.

The creature design is equally captivating — terrifying, and often revolting, but with an element of twisted beauty. It makes for potent imagery.

Even something as ordinary as a door can have a lot of character — check out the intricate engraving on each panel:

tew02-door01v1src.jpg

tew03-door02gwsx4.jpg

And the structures themselves aren’t too shabby, either, as we see with the foreboding exterior of Beacon Mental Hospital:

tew04-beacon01esshy.jpg

But it’s around the village of Elk River where the gloomy atmosphere really starts to shine. Here, they took the village from RE4 and infused it with the darkness of the Spencer Estate from REmake. This place made me feel chilly (evidence of immersion!) thanks to the numerous fires dotting the shadowy landscape — pinpricks of warmth that contrast with the night. There is also a lighthouse shining in the distance…

tew05-town01zbsr9.jpg

tew06-elkriver01uvs45.jpg

tew-elkriver023qspp.jpg

Not pictured: The main village. Surprisingly difficult to find good shots of it! A shame, since it’s like RE4’s village made into an entire game… that is just one episode within TEW!

But speaking of RE4, we also have shades of that game’s church and castle, with the cathedral at Cedar Hill. There’s a strong sense of history here — something familiar, but not quite right. Beyond the church walls are a medieval cemetery and marketplace bathed in the golden hues of a setting sun. I like how this place manages to feel haunted even in broad daylight.

tew08-cedarhill01ozsxs.jpg

tew09-cedarhill020bs87.jpg

tew-cedarhill06p3s7l.jpg

tew-cedarhill08srssj.jpg

tew-cedarhill0769smm.jpg

Not pictured: The epic view of the ruined abbey on the cliff overlooking the sea. Again, hard to find pics that do it justice!

This game also has a sprawling mansion, which makes sense — this is Mikami’s tribute to himself, after all. The mansion is equal parts decadence and decay. I wish I had more screens to show the variety of lighting and surfaces inside — the gleaming glass on the cabinets, the varnished wood, the crackling fires, etc. I love the fog-wreathed approach, the familiar layout to the foyer, and touches like the vault and mirror — symbols that become layered with meaning as the game goes on:

tew14-manor01x7aj0.jpg

tew15-foyer015hzzo.jpg

tew16-family012ma19.jpg

tew17-mirror01w1xyc.jpg

Not pictured: The gruesome puzzles involving amateur neuroscience. Don’t want anyone to lose their lunch here… At least, not before I get to Laura!

But first, we have an emotional scene… I’ll spoil the setting, but not the scenario — you were warned in the thread title! Here we see a field of sunflowers, stretching into the distance, and a lonely barn at the center of it all. It reminds me of a certain scene at the end of Majora’s Mask. One of the most emotionally charged scenes in TEW, but also soothing — a welcome contrast to the suffocating confines of the mansion. But it -is- a tad disquieting…

tew18-flowers011ubs4.jpg

And here’s a panorama:

tew19-flowers02uylai.jpg

This next one is one of my favorites. Some otherworldly place full of… heads. Mannequin heads. Huge mannequin heads. Mannequins are another key visual in TEW, along with mirrors, safes, barbwire, spikes, brains, etc. Here we have stacks and stacks of heads that look like they were carved from stone long ago. The porcelain — if it is porcelain — has a pockmarked surface that looks weathered by time. This pegs my meter like none other. Probably my favorite imagery in a horror game, straight up:

tew20-heads01yaac8.jpg

tew21-heads02vkauu.jpg

tew22-heads03oxygk.jpg

tew23-heads0424yc6.jpg

tew24-heads05tkaj0.jpg

Next I’d like to take a brief detour from environments and look at one of the game’s many monsters: Laura. She’s a ghastly apparition, naked save for ballet flats, and covered from head to toe in horrific burns. Her face is obscured by the flowing black hair of Japanese ghost stories, and her four arms end in cruel claws. She teleports through pools of blood, and has a bloodcurdling shriek that will have your neighbors calling the cops.

All of that is unsettling enough, but it’s her spider-like movement that gets me. It makes me NOT want to continue when she kills me (which she does, in one hit, and in incredibly brutal fashion). The final showdown with her is the most panic-inducing shit I’ve ever experienced in a game. Makes my blind play-through of Amnesia seem like child’s play.

I mean, just look at her (although bear in mind that stills don’t do her justice):

tew25-laura0266s4n.jpg

tew26-laura049tskq.jpg

tew27-laura064ns52.jpg

tew28-laura08kys6n.jpg

tew29-laura07t0sth.jpg

tew30-laura10rgshd.jpg

Really, I could dedicate a writeup to each of the game’s key monsters: The Sadist, Twins, Sentinel, Keeper, Amalgam, Heresy, etc. But Laura is by far and away the most memorable monster for me — in this game or pretty much any horror game.

Next up is one of my favorite settings in the game: The earthquake-ravaged Krimson City, where the environmental artists prove their love for urban decay. Entire city blocks have shifted into new positions on moving tectonic plates — toppling skyscrapers, exposing rebar, and forming sinkholes the size of the Grand Canyon.

Like the village, church and mansion, there is an overwhelming sense of loneliness in Krimson City, despite the many monsters on the prowl. It’s the post-apocalyptic kind of loneliness where you’re surrounded by signs of life in a world devoid of it.

There’s also something refreshing about the bright light, open spaces and towering structures. You feel liberated by the overcast sky, yet trapped in a concrete jungle:

tew35-ruins01d4sq0.jpg

tew36-ruins02vcsvl.jpg

tew37-ruins03iis7p.jpg

tew38-ruins049rsb1.jpg

tew39-ruins05lhsop.jpg

tew40-train0131ssu.jpg

The game also delivers on body horror, in ways both expected and unexpected. Like we’ve all seen the mutilated flesh and fountains of blood in the marketing materials, but once you delve deeper into the game you see surreal nightmare fuel like this:

tew41-eyes0128ogy.jpg

I also like the glorious tidal wave of viscera that accompanies Ruvik in one scene:

tew42-ruvik01xnrcm.jpg

Ruvik, the main villain, is a lovely specimen of body horror. Like Laura, he’s disfigured by burn scars, but half of his skull is a glass case exposing his brain. You soon come to see his hooded silhouette as an unstoppable force of nature, moving forward with Terminator-like determination.

Strong silhouettes and distinctive movement are key to any good creature feature. This game has that in spades, across all of its monsters:

tew43-ruvik02nwqsn.jpg

I’ll conclude my ramblings with something easier on the eyes, and the question: What imagery struck a chord with you? If any, of course. Seems like half of you hate this game, so who knows!

tew44-dlc070cph7.jpg

Neiteio

Your photos makes me want to play the game.I have the game from the launch and i didn't played yet :(
It's an amazing game: A long and varied journey like RE4, with hills and valleys, and a sense of escalation. Super-satisfying gunplay, traps and takedowns. At the same time, it's brutally difficult like a first play-through of REmake. You really have to manage your resources carefully. I literally finished off one boss with my last bullet!

But note the following:

- The first two chapters are essentially tutorials, teaching you stealth skills and survival skills, respectively. Very atmospheric and full of spectacle, but you still have training wheels.

- The game really takes off in Chapter 3. The game has 15 chapters, so you're just getting started at that point. Sneak past enemies, misdirect them with distractions, ambush them, set traps, run away and hide, or straight-up fight them.

- I played on PS4. I thought the performance was fine, only slightly wavering in the aforementioned Chapter 3. Definitely playable.

Great post! I loved this game's design and game play, I bought the DLCs but I wasn't getting into it...maybe I should give it another go just because.

E-flux

Some of those pictures look amazing, especially the one with the crumbled statue heads that are piled on top of each other, wasn't the gameplay slammed though? Those pictures kinda make me want to play it.

Hedge

I remember being very interested in the game, but then hearing nothing but bad press surrounding the release. Very unfortunate.

The game seriously gives Bloodborne a run for its money in the art department. Each area has so much atmosphere. I especially love the heavy film grain making things feel right out of a horror flick, and giving everything an extra grimy layer.

I remember being very interested in the game, but then hearing nothing but bad press surrounding the release. Very unfortunate.

You should get it (on the cheap if you're worried it's bad). The game is really fantastic.

Neiteio

Some of those pictures look amazing, especially the one with the crumbled statue heads that are piled on top of each other, wasn't the gameplay slammed though? Those pictures kinda make me want to play it.
It's made by the guy who directed Resident Evil 4, REmake, Vanquish, etc. The gameplay is fantastic. Brutally difficult and unforgiving, but fantastic.

The game was mainly criticized on technical issues. It looks great, and sounds great, but some people say the framerate suffered on PS4. Yeah, it wasn't always a locked 30 fps, but in my experience it never turned into a slideshow. It was always smooth enough, always playable.

It's a really special game — a true horror game with the length and production values of a AAA title. How cool is that? :)

Insolitus

Banned
This game is very underrated, well not really, there's no denying it has a lot of moments where it's complete bullshit and full of jank. But I enjoyed it more than RE5 and would love to see a sequel that fixes all of it's problems and plays mostly like chapter 9.

Neiteio

Made it to the level 3 boss. Couldnt beat him. Gave up. Shame. The game looks so good.
Ah, the Sadist in the barn?

Here are some fun tips that'll have you itching to try again:

- Use the agony crossbow to set up proximity mines. Plant one in the barn, another right outside the barn, and several more in the two-story house at the other end of the village — namely, at the entrance, at the first landing on the stairs, at the top of the stairs, and inside the bedroom in the back. Then, when you trigger the Sadist, run all the way to the bedroom and hide in the closet. Listen closely, and you'll hear this in the distance: BOOM! "Arrgh!" BOOM! "Arrgh!" BOOM! "Arrgh!" Do it right, and the bomb in the bedroom will kill him!

- Out of bolt parts? Try leading the Sadist to the house next to the barn. There are floors with spike traps you can trigger by flipping nearby switches. Skewer him on the spikes and he'll be finished in no time. :)

Man...

I just don't know if I can stomach this game. Those images look awesome and all, it just looks like over the top grotesque though.

I could handle bloodborne fine, but this just seems like a whole other level.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I loved the game, despite its flaws (not only technical, imho).
I'd say that there was too many action-based chapters, but overall, a very good horror experience.

antitrop

Made it to the level 3 boss. Couldnt beat him. Gave up. Shame. The game looks so good.

You can kill the chapter 3 boss just by lining him up with a harpoon trap in one of the houses and pulling the lever at the right time.

It was incredibly satisfying, I had him chasing me all over the village before I finally put him down with just one move.

Enjoyed it immensely when I played it at launch. In my opinion it is a better game than The Last of Us. It has better atmosphere, boss fights and gameplay. Also the skill upgrade system is very well done.

joe2187

Banned
so why was this game bad? I'm seriously intrigued.

- It's a mess, in terms of pacing, story, characters. It doesnt know what it wants to be and is constantly flipping around it's setting and tone dramatically (this was intentional actually and I get what they were going for, but it leaves the player feeling confused)
- The game itself is also a technical mess, it's buggy, it's glitchy, even with an enhanced PC rig. The camera is wonky and the controls feels laggy and clunky for a modern TPS game (once again the controls were intentional, but it makes the combat not very entertaining)
- It never really went anywhere, everything just felt like a horror game that was stitched together from other horror game concepts that never felt fully fleshed out or thought through.

combine that all together. It was a chore to play through.

I think some of what put people off a bunch- technical difficulties at launch and perhaps expectations that were different than the final product. There was a lot to love in the game for sure, though. I can't fathom how action/horror/survival fans didn't find something in there that clicked.

From a personal standpoint, I really, really loved it.

Shit, this looks fantastic, but I really don't feel like playing a frustratingly difficult game with frustratingly difficult mechanics.

The game's art has always intrigued me though, it looks spectacular.

Erevador

It's not. It has some classic horror game jank. I love vintage Silent Hill and Resident Evil, so that doesn't bother me at all.

Another victim of GAF hyperbole, though thankfully it has its defenders.

It's not. It has has some classic horror game jank. I love vintage Silent Hill and Resident Evil, so that doesn't bother me at all.

Another victim of GAF hyperbole, though thankfully it has its defenders.

I love oldschool Silent Hill, dislike oldschool Resident Evil (and I tried many times).

Not really up for frustrating mechanics. Love Evil Within's art and horror in general.

Should I play this game?

Man...

I just don't know if I can stomach this game. Those images look awesome and all, it just looks like over the top grotesque though.

I could handle bloodborne fine, but this just seems like a whole other level.

If you can handle BB, you can handle this. The worse the game gets is a lot of cherry looking blood and gross sound effects.

I agree, while the game is technically bad graphics wise, the art direction makes it better looking than a lot of modern games today.

The assignment DLC had some nice stuff.

Neiteio

Gotta disagree with Joe.

Movement is great. I was scrambling all over certain maps, nimbly avoiding mobs and OHKO monsters. Just the right balance of weight and responsiveness. The gunplay is especially fun, with a nice kick to every shot, and super-satisfying headshots.

It does feel a bit clunky in the first chapter, however. I chalk this up to being thrown in the deep end with a stealth tutorial that restricts you in many ways. Once Ch. 3 rolls around, the game takes off.

Pacing is also great. The game consistently introduces new concepts — and iterates on previous concepts — from start to finish. I remember counting like a half-dozen unique set-pieces in Ch. 11 alone. The previous chapters, Ch. 10 and Ch. 9, could've each been their own standalone horror games — that's how packed they are with well-paced content.

The game gives you plenty of time to soak up the ambiance and attention to detail in between each set-piece. And through it all, the game artfully starves you of resources. You always have just enough to survive by the skin of your teeth. I actually made a thread about the game's balance — the sign of a truly great designer.

As for "glitches," I didn't encounter any. Only a slightly low (but consistent) framerate in Ch. 3. But your mileage may vary, I suppose.

antitrop

I love oldschool Silent Hill, dislike oldschool Resident Evil (and I tried many times).

Not really up for frustrating mechanics. Love Evil Within's art and horror in general.

Should I play this game?
The Evil Within is much closer to Resident Evil 4 than Resident Evil 1, but it strikes a nice balance of action and more traditional survival horror.

The Evil Within is pretty stingy with ammo, to encourage creative use of stealth and environmental traps in combat. It does a good job of rewarding you for paying attention to your surroundings and varying up your approaches to combat.

dlauv

It's a shame that most of the game's difficulty comes from sluggish aiming, low fov, and 1 hit death machines.

It could have been really cool.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
The performance of The Evil Within on PS4 is abysmal. Seriously, I've seen drops around 10fps. Why is this acceptable to the devs or even been fixed?

Neiteio

The performance of The Evil Within on PS4 is abysmal. Seriously, I've seen drops around 10fps. Why is this acceptable to the devs or even been fixed?
I've sunk countless hours into the PS4 version, and I've never encountered anything remotely like you're describing. I mean, 10 fps? Are you sure your system is OK??

I have capture gallery footage from just about every area in the game. Maybe I should upload them to show the performance is fine.

Or maybe you just did something to "break" the game?

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Great, lovely title. I think if it performed at launch the way it does now, conversations about it would be a little different.

Nice write up, TC

the only deserved criticism maybe was the subpar performance, happily something you 'll stop noticing when you are being engrossed in its oppresive atmosphere. The feeling is unrivaled en the relieve of hearing the safe house music has to be experienced. Also loved the upgrade system. For me it was a solid 8.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
I've sunk countless hours into the PS4 version, and I've never encountered anything remotely like you're describing. I mean, 10 fps? Are you sure your system is OK??

I have capture gallery footage from just about every area in the game. Maybe I should upload them to show the performance is fine.

Or maybe you just did something to "break" the game?

Honestly, all I have done is replace stock drive with 2TB upgrade.

For your information I'm still fairly early in the game. You meet a doctor and he distracts the enemies whilst I need to unlock the gate. The frame rate just dives for no apparent reason. Nothing really going on. Almost like a memory leak of some sort.

Outside of just playing the game, I'm not really doing anything wrong that I'm aware.

Az987

all good things
I like how the monster in the first picture has braces on his teeth.

Are braces scary? Is he just really self concious about his crooked teeth but not so much about the rest of his face? So many questions.

Great shots OP.

It's just too damn bad that TEW is such an inconsistent game. There are chapters where it is a piece of rare gaming brilliance, then there are chapters which absolutely suck major balls.

Hated how the game end too.

this was the first ps4 game i played, coming off gtav ps3, i didn't notice the bad performance so the game was amazing for me, probably my favorite game of this generation, but i recently played the game and damn it hasn't aged well, performance and graphics are not up to par.

I bought this game around launch, played a few chapters, and then kind of abandoned it. This might have to do more with where I am as a gamer than the game itself. I have less time these days and I haven't really been in the mood to get creeped out while gaming alone while getting frustrated with progressing. I almost wouldn't mind just watching someone else play through the whole thing.

Seems cool though. I didn't know the environments got so trippy.

Neiteio

Honestly, all I have done is replace stock drive with 2TB upgrade.

For your information I'm still fairly early in the game. You meet a doctor and he distracts the enemies whilst I need to unlock the gate. The frame rate just dives for no apparent reason. Nothing really going on. Almost like a memory leak of some sort.

Outside of just playing the game, I'm not really doing anything wrong that I'm aware.
That's Ch. 3 — the area where I said I experienced a lower framerate, too. But it never turned into a slideshow or anything. It was just sort of... sub-30 fps throughout the chapter. Almost, but not quite there. But still smooth. I mainly noticed the dip in areas of heavy mist in that chapter.

Subsequent chapters often take place in more enclosed environments, or open spaces that have less environmental effects. I think you'll find the performance improves as the game goes on. :)

Is he just really self conscious about his crooked teeth but not so much about the rest of his face? So many questions.
Well actually...

Nah. Won't go into story spoilers.

This game is amazing. lol

I think it's better than any RE game after 3. Yeah, that would include 4 and I love 4. Evil Within is still tied for the best game I've played since the PS4/XB1/Wii U generation began. Alien: Isolation being the other.

Great atmosphere and art until about chapter 11. After that almost everything about the game took a nose dive. I really want a sequel that feels as strong all the way through.

Neiteio

This game is amazing. lol

I think it's better than any RE game after 3. Yeah, that would include 4 and I love 4. Evil Within is still tied for the best game I've played since the PS4/XB1/Wii U generation began. Alien: Isolation being the other.
I recently completed RE3: Nemesis myself — check out the LttP here. A neat parallel between RE3 and TEW is the use of stalker monsters. While RE3 has Nemesis, TEW arguably has three, between the Sadist, the Keeper and Laura. Each monster has a memorable design and associated set-pieces, as well. Each would be strong enough to carry their own movie franchise, but here they're all woven into the tapestry of a single epic game. Amazing!

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
That's Ch. 3 — the area where I said I experienced a lower framerate, too. But it never turned into a slideshow or anything. It was just sort of... sub-30 fps throughout the chapter. Almost, but not quite there. But still smooth. I mainly noticed the dip in areas of heavy mist in that chapter.

Subsequent chapters often take place in more enclosed environments, or open spaces that have less environmental effects. I think you'll find the performance improves as the game goes on. :)

Well actually...

Nah. Won't go into story spoilers.

That's great news thanks for that :)

Great pics. The art direction of TEW is excellent in a lot of spots and really varied. It really takes you through a parade of various horror styles, and once you fully understand the story and it's implications it makes total sense for the art styles to feel so schizophrenic.

There are many locations I'd consider 'iconic' too. The lighthouse of the asylum appearing in the distance in backgrounds was always a great sight.

Neiteio

Great pics. The art direction of TEW is excellent in a lot of spots and really varied. It really takes you through a parade of various horror styles, and once you fully understand the story and it's implications it makes total sense for the art styles to feel so schizophrenic.

There are many locations I'd consider 'iconic' too. The lighthouse of the asylum appearing in the distance in backgrounds was always a great sight.
Agreed!

I look forward to this game becoming a franchise. I'm eager for the general premise to become known so we can talk openly about the story. Right now I feel we're still obligated to be hush-hush about what's going on in this game, since many people haven't played it yet.

The lore is fantastic. I like how it takes the entire game to piece it all together. They keep dangling that carrot right until the end, lol.

The most terrifying thing of the Evil Within is running out of stamina after 5 seconds of running and having your character trying to rest when there's a freaking chainsaw guy right behind him.

Top Bottom