• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lovely horror of The Evil Within (warning: many pics and location spoilers)

Neiteio

Neiteio I love your posts in general and your fucking cracking work on this OP really put this game on my radar. I always thought it looked somewhat interesting, but this has convinced to get on it soon as pay day comes.
Also, you love KI:U as much as I do so I trust your good taste.
Thanks Chunky. (Your user name makes me smile — I like to picture I'm typing to the character from Donkey Kong 64, lol)

Like Kid Icarus Uprising, note there is a learning curve to this game's controls. At the start of the game, you are severely limited in terms of your ability to sprint. The game is balanced around this, but you'll want to consciously "feather the pedal," so to speak — similar to Dark Souls, be sure to ease off the run button right before your stamina runs out. Otherwise, you'll be winded and vulnerable as you catch your breath.

You collect green goo found in the environment and dropped by enemies. Use it at the crazy-looking chair-like contraption in the hub area to upgrade your character's stamina.

Also note: The first two chapters don't represent the game as a whole. They are like extended tutorials. The first chapter is very restrictive and teaches you the fundamentals of sneaking, distracting and hiding. It will feel very restrictive, but this is because the training wheels are still on. I find it more enjoyable the second time around. Enjoy it for the spectacle, but keep in mind it's a tutorial.

The second chapter is also a tutorial, starting to teach you the fundamentals of combat — using the environment to your advantage, improvising traps, ambushing enemies with stealth takedowns, etc. But it's still limited compared to what will follow.

Ch. 3 is where the game will really take off. It's also the most taxing chapter from a tech standpoint; I thought it played fine, but on PS4, the framerate runs a bit lower. Still smooth enough to play, though; it wasn't erratically jumping all over the place or anything.

Ch. 3 is where the gameplay all comes together: The exploration, the combat, the stealth, the traps, the resource management. If you find yourself struggling to defeat the boss of that chapter, rethink your strategy, and try leading the boss through traps you create (i.e. proximity mines leading from the boss' starting point to a place where you hide), or into the traps already installed in the environment (such as the spike rooms in the building next door).

Keep all of this in mind, and you should take to the game smoother than most. It's a meaty game at 15 chapters.

Oh, and you can toggle off the black bars now. Good luck!

antitrop

Here are some of my shots, as well. Very enjoyable game to screenshot.

15719067133_6dfe9e28f0_o.png

15723926484_fe2df7708b_o.png

16324962996_c5962c8d57_o.png

15728483424_149e44db7f_o.png

16152804687_2ddd56d564_o.png

16187943310_72951d4363_o.png

16350909235_612437505f_o.png

16373593921_0ededf37db_o.png

16190665929_827880f377_o.png

16190668389_cfd17ba87e_o.png

16374430482_c8bb6bef6a_o.png

Neiteio

Here are some of my shots, as well. Very enjoyable game to screenshot.

*snip*
Holy shit, these are amazing, antitrop. Please tell me you have more.

I'm going to save them all (with a note you made them, to give credit where due)!

Even for an ID Tech 5 games, it does have some really good looking moments from time to time. Honestly, I want a sequel to the Evil Within.
The game looks fantastic from start to finish. The goal would just be to optimize the engine for a sequel.

With the lore they set up here, I'd be surprised if we didn't get a sequel. They've laid the groundwork for an elaborate mythos.

Neiteio

Thanks! And thanks for making the thread. This is the link to my Flickr album for TEW, but I picked out the best ones to post here.
Nice! I'll check this out!

If I find some free time this week to clean out the fridge on the PS4, I'd like to reinstall this game and take some detail shots of rooms in the mansion. Specifically the dining room.

Also, anyone have any shots of the enemies in the clown masks? Terrifying stuff. I nearly shat myself in Ch. 10 when
I thought I was safe crouching under the blade trap, and instead they just crouch-walked over to me
!

Some neat stuff there. Those shots with the mannequin heads remind me of the eclipse scene in berserk.
Between the inspirations for Bloodborne/Souls, and now The Evil Within, I'm finding myself very interested in checking out Berserk!

Neiteio

Oh man, antitrop's gallery is amazing. There are like 20 more screenshots I want to pluck out and share here. But I have to have a Yahoo account to download them. Pain in the ass, lol. *begrudgingly signs up for Yahoo*

The art direction as so good. The game itself I thought had problems with its mechanics and pacing but it was still pretty good. I'd be jogo for a sequel.

You can tell the REmake peeps worked on this.

Salsa

I played it with the black bars by choice btw

I think it looked great

to be fair it performed better too, but they didnt bother me at all and I thought there was a good argument for them in terms of how the game plays and feels

doesnt hurt to bring the RE4 feel even more either

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
To contribute some more, here were some Steam screenshots I took. A bit compressed and I took them at 720p as I was playing blindly, but hopefully some enjoy.

2B60BECF4225DB34437D100DFA4B3ADB0A13EE1A

00ACB67C5CE9977ADDA05BE10724D63D331B398F

354D26AB38DAE80F7D4E811DE840A02026211759

937E825731792F315042A3E0FC41082758135528

C43BBFAB10C48F97798D196960B6D33B823DF4DC

0F3AF2C14972621AA4E879E4FAE29591A6F25160

4FC46CE3B73CB01999F682BFD1E58A21024CD4B6

3D672F65AAD666CFA027ABE4B626886473D49DAF

80DC5C5F13452BC7300EAC833D2EC52040135BD5

F621FDCECCB46CE2BE4CFB5C07BEC5021DDA05B5

33E9414919569342460BD8A49F9232938D8F36D0

77AA5FBBDB5E029F645AD37EC94C6F5669249BB5

CD83836249EEC291194F4937316C00A576922E71

1844CE6433B9DDE36A0AB2A464FC23DF6857A461

8F7A650C8D2EE1E45036DAC6A95604D294B239F0

48222DF4F1CEBE3F900491CE8117F29288364074

---

Bonus, two gifs I made of me having fun with the mechanics of the third DLC, The Executioner:
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Neiteio

I played it with the black bars by choice btw

I think it looked great

to be fair it performed better too, but they didnt bother me at all and I thought there was a good argument for them in terms of how the game plays and feels

doesnt hurt to bring the RE4 feel even more either
It's cool you can turn off the black bars, but yeah, I like them too. I suspect the game was balanced around the assumption they would be there. I felt like they made me hyper-focused.

Love this game.
played on ps4 but want to rebuy on pc.
Is it badly optimized?
Could i hit 60fps on a 970?
Also any mods for this thing?
Or is the engine not mod friendly.

I had some big issues with The Evil Within (presentation, polish, and story/characters were not up to par), but the middle section of the game is pretty damn good (Chapters 3 to 10 aside from the first half of Chapter 9) with Chapters 5, 6, and 10 in particular being some of Mikami's best work as a director. After the intro it's pretty well paced and an absolute roller-coaster journey of action-horror nonsense. I just wish it was more polished.

If we're doing art direction appreciation dumps though...I'm all the way in. Neiteio, I hope you don't mind if I jump in on this.

xVTX1G.jpg

2VSsT1.jpg

upOVI0.jpg

yTilyO.jpg

Bnu09n.jpg

31FjkN.jpg

0KiabP.jpg

j2ylFQ.jpg

z91Jqz.jpg

Tye5Ao.jpg

KYWOsP.jpg

Eal7Go.jpg

YuLVln.jpg

NdGV6J.jpg

4tQAZa.jpg

flSjta.jpg

tpBCmx.jpg

U2I7hO.jpg

ogkJ4Y.jpg

uBRZCC.jpg

OdaNGK.jpg

antitrop

Love this game.
Is it badly optimized?
The game ran at 4K/30fps at maxed settings on my 970.

You could do something like 1440p/maxed at 60fps.

Love this game.
Is it badly optimized?

plays fine a 970 gtx 1080p max settings i think? (im sure there are frame drops but it's not an aiming and mechanically intensive game that frame-rate will make you lose), can't answer specifically to anything else you asked

Neiteio

I had some big issues with The Evil Within (presentation, polish, and story/characters were not up to par), but the middle section of the game is pretty damn good (Chapters 3 to 10 aside from the first half of Chapter 9) with Chapters 5, 6, and 10 in particular being some of Mikami's best work as a director. After the intro it's pretty well paced and an absolute roller-coaster journey of action-horror nonsense. I just wish it was more polished.

If we're doing art direction appreciation dumps though...I'm all the way in. Neiteio, I hope you don't mind if I jump in on this.
Hey Net_Wrecker, those screens look amazing. Can you remove the quote tags so that my browser can autoresize them so they fill the screen?

Also, I'll be posting more Antitrop screens in a moment.

To the others have posted, great screens! I especially like the one Dusk_Golem posted of the cultist with a gaping hole for a face.

Neiteio

Also chp 10 is a GOAT quality moment in gaming.
Unfuckingbelievably intense.
Yeah, this really can't be said enough. I suspect the average player will find Ch. 10 too difficult and oppressive, but for those who tough it out, it's incredibly rewarding.

That moment when you defeat
___Laura___
and realize the chapter isn't even finished yet had me staring slack-jawed at the screen. "There's more?!"

I enjoyed the environments quite a bit. I really love how dingy and dirty the first few areas are (especially where the invisible enemies are first encountered), only to transition into the sunny seaside cliff of chapter 6. The mansion also really did it for me. Wasn't too hot on the city and subway, though the last chapter brought it back. Some of my favorite games include stuff like RE4, Bloodborne, Demon's Souls, and Super Metroid, so I'm all about those dark environments. TEW didn't disappoint in that department. One of my favorite games of 2014 for sure.

Chunky

Oh, and you can toggle off the black bars now. Good luck!

Cheers for the deep advice mate, I'll bear it in mind when I pick this up. I can usually power through initially odd control setups, if there is that gooey sense of satisfaction buried inside. Case in point, souls and Monster Hunter are two of my favourite series'.

While they seem entirely different tone-wise, are there any touches of Shadows of the Damned in here? Loved that game.

Neiteio

Some more screens!

We'll start with the kitty cat...

tew-cat01q3alb.jpg

...and continue with the dog, Sentinel, raised by cultists on sacrificial flesh! What's with Mikami horror games and scary dogs, anyways?

BTW, I love the one bulging eye — reminds me of King K. Rool. (May he one day join Smash)

tew-sentinel01unx5v.jpg

tew-sentinel0218llp.jpg

Some more places you probably shouldn't explore, including a medieval lab in the catacombs under the churchyard cemetery, a warehouse full of mannequins, the library of a haunted house, and what is probably the home of a serial killer:

tew-catacombs01uclwq.jpg

tew-dolls0373bgf.jpg

tew-library014xxoj.jpg

tew-lair01xta2e.jpg

The terrifying amalgamation of flesh you encounter several times throughout the game:

tew-amalgam046ax6g.jpg

tew-amalgam05otbim.jpg

A nice mug shot of the game's brace-face kaiju:

tew-amalgam03paz9i.jpg

Some more mannequins, just chilling in a post-apocalyptic city:

tew-dolls02zoajw.jpg

Speaking of which, you might want to avoid the subway in said post-apocalyptic city (I adored the creature to which this tenatlce belongs, btw — take the Laughing Octopus battle from MGS4 to its full potential, and you have Quell):

tew-quell01s6zhi.jpg

A cool cave, closer to the surface, with sunlight shining down — note the excellent clockwork design of the agony crossbow:

tew-caves01yga3l.jpg

The Keeper in the meat locker, and in the catacombs. Another iconic monster with a strong silhouette and distinctive gait that makes him instantly recognizable. Also called the Boxman, he has a vault for a head, wrapped in barbwire, and full of writhing tentacles. Carries a knapsack with nails driven through it, a hammer with spikes on the blunt end, and traps that ensnare you in wire. When killed, he'll re-spawn from one of the many safes littered around the room. He'll even kill himself if it means reaching you quicker! Probably tied with Laura for coolest monster (although I personally give Laura the nod):

tew-keeper01wnlpx.jpg

tew-keeper02ysxer.jpg

Speaking of Laura, here's a look at her human form, as well as what she becomes — including how she crawls on the walls stalking you (but also affording you the chance to admire her nice shoes)!

Note the human shot is taken from the model viewer (in case you were wondering how this angle was achieved):

tew-laura01razv5.jpg

tew-laura125uxvj.jpg

tew-laura11osym7.jpg

Some monsters cast long shadows...

tew-dlc14t8xoj.jpg

And on a lighter note, we have Seb the Great Detective, always sniffing out clues, wherever they may be:

tew-greatdetective014jlo6.jpg

Neff

Fantastic game. My only issues with it are the frame dips on PS4 and the fact that it didn't spend nearly long enough playing its mystery card. A slower, subtler, low-key build up to the hallucinatory aspect of the game would have paid off better than being almost immediately thrown into the cinematic, location-hopping, mind-fuck Uncharted stuff imo.

NotMyPsn

Banned
I was really put off this game by reports that stated that it run like ass(PS4), has this been improved with patches? How is it today? I might bite with that OP.

Dmax3901

There were some technical issues at launch on PC, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Kinda surprised by how many people were put off due to bad press. Definitely an unfair reception if that's the case.

Loved this game. Slow start and a couple of the later chapters weren't my thing. One with a bus? I hated that one. But aside from that great game.

NotMyPsn

Banned
There were some technical issues at launch on PC, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Kinda surprised by how many people were put off due to bad press. Definitely an unfair reception if that's the case.

Thing is that I'm not willing to pay full price if the product has technical issues.
So it goes to my "buy later maybe" list. Some games never make it out of that list.

Neiteio

Thing is that I'm not willing to pay full price if the product has technical issues.

So it goes to my "buy later maybe" list. Some games never make it out of that list.
I played it on PS4. I honestly never had issues. But there are a number of people here who claim the game ran "abysmally" for them. I'd be curious to see what they experienced, because I didn't encounter it. If I get a chance this week, I might upload videos of different areas to show how it ran well for me.

The worst I saw was in Ch. 3, the framerate runs a tad slow, but it's still perfectly smooth to control. It wasn't a slideshow or anything. It felt like it was just below 30 fps, and locked. That chapter has heavy mist effects that were probably a bit taxing.

sphinx

the piano man
this threads needs a pic of the hidden guy looking through a window from inside the Mansion when you are about to enter.

too bad I never saw it during my playthroughs.

Great OT! Loved the game and the dlc as well, maybe even more.
My main issue was the buggy collision detection, sometimes point blank headshots go right through enemies.
I'm a sucker for survival horror, loved the atmosphere, the gameplay and the enemy designs, I hope there's a sequel one day.

Neiteio

Cheers for the deep advice mate, I'll bear it in mind when I pick this up. I can usually power through initially odd control setups, if there is that gooey sense of satisfaction buried inside. Case in point, souls and Monster Hunter are two of my favourite series'.

While they seem entirely different tone-wise, are there any touches of Shadows of the Damned in here? Loved that game.
I haven't played SotD, but from what I've seen, TEW has a similar aesthetic (what I like to call "colorful darkness"). However, TEW is a lot more serious in tone (for better or for worse).

Regarding the controls, I think you'll find them familiar enough. They mainly feel odd in the first chapter, where you're forced to use them exclusively for sneaking as the game teaches you stealth mechanics in a very linear (and very dangerous) environment. Then the game opens up from there. :)

Neiteio

I enjoyed the environments quite a bit. I really love how dingy and dirty the first few areas are (especially where the invisible enemies are first encountered), only to transition into the sunny seaside cliff of chapter 6. The mansion also really did it for me. Wasn't too hot on the city and subway, though the last chapter brought it back. Some of my favorite games include stuff like RE4, Bloodborne, Demon's Souls, and Super Metroid, so I'm all about those dark environments. TEW didn't disappoint in that department. One of my favorite games of 2014 for sure.
Just occurred to me that you probably love DKC2 for similar reasons. I know a big part of Crocodile Isle's appeal, for me, was the gritty feel of each world. Shipwrecks, swamps, rundown amusement parks, etc. So good!

Some amazing screenshots on this page. It's honestly shocking to me how 'forgotten' this game seems to be. To me it was one of the best experiences of the generation thus far, and these screenshots just brought me back to the point that I now feel like starting a replay, of a game I've already done three playthroughs of!

Speaking specifically of the art direction though, the coastal Village is still my favorite and in my mind the most memorable. Slowly trudging through that knowing that at any time something could jump out from behind a corner and take you down was really harrowing and the exact experience I wanted from seeing that area in pre-release screenshots and gifs. I actually really like the first section of it in Chapter 2 as well. The Chapter 3 'main area' with the overpass and Chainsaw guy are the obvious highlight, but the village part after that where you find the doctor is also really great even if it's less combat focused. There is just good exploration and stuff to find there as well.

The art direction of this game just deserves more recognition period. There are so many scenes or objects or characters that just stick in my mind as what you could call 'iconic' in a franchise sense and it's just one game: The village, the lighthouse, the Asylum logo with the lighthouse in it, Nurse Tatiana's creepy aloofness and idle animations, box man, the cliffside with the old church in the distance, the giant brain in the otherworld, the barn in the field of flowers, the upgrade chair, green gel, joseph's glasses and kidman's form fitting jeans.

And the death roombas. Can't forget the death roombas.

Neiteio

Some amazing screenshots on this page. It's honestly shocking to me how 'forgotten' this game seems to be. To me it was one of the best experiences of the generation thus far, and these screenshots just brought me back to the point that I now feel like starting a replay, of a game I've already done three playthroughs of!

Speaking specifically of the art direction though, the coastal Village is still my favorite and in my mind the most memorable. Slowly trudging through that knowing that at any time something could jump out from behind a corner and take you down was really harrowing and the exact experience I wanted from seeing that area in pre-release screenshots and gifs. I actually really like the first section of it in Chapter 2 as well. The Chapter 3 'main area' with the overpass and Chainsaw guy are the obvious highlight, but the village part after that where you find the doctor is also really great even if it's less combat focused. There is just good exploration and stuff to find there as well.

The art direction of this game just deserves more recognition period. There are so many scenes or objects or characters that just stick in my mind as what you could call 'iconic' in a franchise sense and it's just one game: The village, the lighthouse, the Asylum logo with the lighthouse in it, Nurse Tatiana's creepy aloofness and idle animations, box man, the cliffside with the old church in the distance, the giant brain in the otherworld, the barn in the field of flowers, the upgrade chair, green gel, joseph's glasses and kidman's form fitting jeans.

And the death roombas. Can't forget the death roombas.
Agreed! So many cool concepts in this game. If I were a film producer in an alternate reality where this game didn’t exist, I’d take the creatures in this game and launch a dozen different movie franchises!

Out of curiosity, which chapters were your favorite? And when you mention the “coastal village,” do you mean the Village of Elk River in chapters 2, 3 and 4, or do you mean the village at Cedar Hill in Ch. 6?

And since you mentioned Kidman’s form-fitting pants, might as well start the next batch with her butt:

tew-greatdetective036kqzx.jpg

Also, the wet shirt tech. Very important to survival horror:

tew-shirttechmbss2.jpg

(Personally, it bothers me she runs around in high heels.)

But seriously, back to horror, starting with the opening set-piece in the Sadist’s shop — check out the chiaroscuro lighting and floor slick with blood:

tew-sadist02cism6.jpg

And the bit with the mortician gone mad was a brilliant bit of horror — especially the part where you feel around inside the body…

tew-morticiana5sq6.jpg

Opinions were split on action-packed Ch. 12 — personally, I thought the bus ride was a much-needed palate cleanser after the oppressive atmosphere of the previous three chapters — but I think most would agree Heresy is a great design. Note he has tubes running from his poop-chute to his mouth — he feeds on his own excrement! A human centipede, without the friends — how pleasant.

tew-heresy01fgpil.jpg

Here’s a POV shot hiding under a car in the parking garage while Amalgam scopes you out with his snake-light eye. I adore this detail — it reminds me of the scene in War of the Worlds where the serpentine robot slithers through the basement, looking for Tom Cruise with its one glowing eye. This set-piece also reminded me of the scene in Jurassic Park where Malcolm and Grant distract the T-Rex in the rain. They do a great job conveying the sheer size and weight of Amalgam.

tew-hiding01ufr06.jpg

One of the morbid “neuroscience” puzzles in the Victoriano Estate. Did they really have to make the eyes look around and blink??

tew-puzzle01jgshl.jpg

A subway train suspended high above the city, trapped between two skyscrapers. You know the city is experiencing severe seismic activity when this happens. Also, I&#8217;m always a sucker for a good torrential downpour in videogames. <3 rain!

tew-train03aosti.jpg

On the note of subways, the half-destroyed metro was full of delicious detail:

tew-subway011ms2r.jpg

This game has some of the most devious death-traps. The whirling blades closing in from both sides being a personal favorite. Quickly, hobble to the blood-chute!

tew-grinder01qtsty.jpg

Speaking of traps, here&#8217;s a shot of Sebastian falling into one of Quell&#8217;s. Failing to escape results in a nifty death animation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWoFnbPtyP0

tew-quell0272sl0.jpg

tew-quell03z8slh.jpg

The walls have eyes&#8230;

tew-dlc02n6rl7.jpg

Really like how the church facade looks in the setting sun:

tew-church01hes98.jpg

A great vertical shot of the church&#8217;s interior:

tew-churchverticalansd6.jpg

Juli Kidman spends a moment with her kitty companion. The subtle use of film grain looks especially nice in this scene&#8217;s lighting:

tew-juliandcat01pnssc.jpg

The atmosphere in this game is just amazing. Perhaps that&#8217;s what Seb is thinking as he looks out the window at night:

tew-gothic0168s4v.jpg

The &#8220;horror zone&#8221; version of the hospital is deeply unsettling. Those gurneys and wheelchairs moving by themselves? Yeah, might want to watch your back:

tew-hospital013tsnf.jpg

Props to the interior decorator who designed this office! Seriously, this game&#8217;s use of shapes and patterns is almost hypnotizing at times:

tew-office01ymsfx.jpg

A panorama view of the cliffs overlooking the sea at Cedar Hill. Love the warm look to the lighting here:

tew-cedarhill04wmo3q.jpg

More shots of the ruined factory, including a silhouette shot. The crumbling clay walls and exposed beams are a nice touch. Also love the flock of birds around the smokestacks:

tew-factory01lhsuv.jpg

tew-factory020rs3l.jpg

A soothing shot of the river at night, and the asylum&#8217;s lighthouse in the distance. Wait, wasn&#8217;t the asylum in the middle of the city? Hmm&#8230;

tew-river01n2str.jpg

The feeling of entering a new room&#8230; What horrors lie inside?

tew-newroom01q9sbb.jpg

Hopefully it&#8217;s not this guy!

tew-keeper046esi3.jpg

Moonkid

Aite y'all have convinced me too, will pick up the next PSN sale. The game looks a lot more varied aesthetically than let on by the marketing

Neiteio

It's not very scary as much as it is tense, traps being a plenty and ammo being scarce really makes things exciting

You just have to power through
If you thought Ch. 10's encounter with you-know-who was merely "tense" and not pants-shitting levels of abject terror, well, then you're a braver person than me!

You know that singing frog from Looney Tunes? I was singing like him just to stay calm, lol. "Hello my sweetheart, hello my darling!"

Agreed! So many cool concepts in this game. If I were a film producer in an alternate reality where this game didn’t exist, I’d take the creatures in this game and launch a dozen different movie franchises!

Out of curiosity, which chapters were your favorite? And when you mention the “coastal village,” do you mean the Village of Elk River in chapters 2, 3 and 4, or do you mean the village at Cedar Hill in Ch. 6?

I meant the village of Elk River. I do enjoy the one at Cedar Hill as well but the focus there is on the church or monastery itself with the village kind of supporting it. Still a very cool locations.

As for favorite chapters: 3 is easily my favorite and highlights what I love most about the game. It's a semi open environment with different ways to tackle it, filled with dangerous enemies that also rewards you for exploring by finding secrets and ways to kill it's eventual boss. The atmosphere is crazy too.

6 is the source of some of the best 'action' in the game imo. Really brings me to back to the bigger fights of RE4, completely swarmed with enemies and very little ammo. It's a harsh wake up call that this game also needs you to be good at just fighting, it's not a hide and seek horror game, you have to shoot dudes in the face.

9 kind of goes without saying. A classic environment brought back and not in a cheap way. I'd expect this one to be on a lot of people's lists.

10 is just awesome. Insane level design that you have to use all your trap awareness you've built up the entire game for as well as crazy fights like the one with two Traumas. The conclusion to the Laura fights with the toughest one yet also. Probably the most unsettling environment in the game mainly due to the sound design, really reminds me of Silent Hill.

And 14 because of Quell. Love that boss and the lead up to it. It came a bit late in the game but it was a nice surprise.

I Got A Letter

Neo Member
The screenshots make the game look excellent, though I remember it being a confused and confusing mess that failed to grip or scare me on any level, as well as containing several glitchy moments including one that was game-breaking.

Is it just nostalgia that makes me think that makes me think this can't stand up to Silent Hill or Resi 1?

Neiteio

I meant the village of Elk River. I do enjoy the one at Cedar Hill as well but the focus there is on the church or monastery itself with the village kind of supporting it. Still a very cool locations.

As for favorite chapters: 3 is easily my favorite and highlights what I love most about the game. It's a semi open environment with different ways to tackle it, filled with dangerous enemies that also rewards you for exploring by finding secrets and ways to kill it's eventual boss. The atmosphere is crazy too.

6 is the source of some of the best 'action' in the game imo. Really brings me to back to the bigger fights of RE4, completely swarmed with enemies and very little ammo. It's a harsh wake up call that this game also needs you to be good at just fighting, it's not a hide and seek horror game, you have to shoot dudes in the face.

9 kind of goes without saying. A classic environment brought back and not in a cheap way. I'd expect this one to be on a lot of people's lists.

10 is just awesome. Insane level design that you have to use all your trap awareness you've built up the entire game for as well as crazy fights like the one with two Traumas. The conclusion to the Laura fights with the toughest one yet also. Probably the most unsettling environment in the game mainly due to the sound design, really reminds me of Silent Hill.

And 14 because of Quell. Love that boss and the lead up to it. It came a bit late in the game but it was a nice surprise.
All good choices! Also nice to see appreciation for Ch. 14 and Quell &#8212; seems like the later chapters are sometimes overlooked, but they contain some of my favorite sequences, like Ch. 11 with the mannequin warehouse rigged to explode, and the flooded streets where you shoot down hanged men to distract the mermaids, or Ch. 13 with its tense game of cat and mouse, eluding the Hooded Haunted in the hallways.

Ch. 11, in particular, has a sumptuous variety of set-pieces, all in the Inception-style cityscape. It's stuffed to bursting with inventive ideas. You keep meeting up and getting separated from the other characters, as well. Definitely one of my favorites!

But my overall favorite is probably Ch. 10. Multiple boss fights and mini-boss fights, top-notch level design, sadistically inspired traps, etc. Ch. 10 is probably the longest and most grueling chapter in the game, and also the scariest, but oh so satisfying to finally beat.

Same goes for Ch. 9, with the random appearance of the invincible stalker. You never know when or where he'll appear, but there are abundant hiding places if needed. I just love exploring the mansion at my own pace, soaking up the details, slowly piecing together puzzles, nimbly avoiding traps or springing them on Haunted.

Other favorites include Ch. 3 (of course), Ch. 5, Ch. 6, Ch. 7 (especially that Keeper encounter, goddamn!). And the aforementioned Ch. 9, 10, 11, 13, and 14.

Really, I love the whole game!

Top Bottom