• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb: PS4.5 / PS4K is codenamed NEO, more info

So no exclusive NEO games is good but I gotta wonder if we are heading towards a scenario where a game runs on the base PS4 at like 15 FPS at a crappy res vs the NEO running it at a solid 30 or even 60 at full 1080p or higher.

killroy87

Blows my mind that anyone who takes a hard stance against PC gaming in favor of consoles would be excited for this.

I'm very curious to see how this works out in terms of sales, game quality, and product messaging.

cackhyena

So no exclusive NEO games is good but I gotta wonder if we are heading towards a scenario where a game runs on the base PS4 at like 15 FPS at a crappy res vs the NEO running it at a solid 30 or even 60 at full 1080p or higher.
That would make zero sense. From a business standpoint, it would be suicide.

Boke1879

This E3 is gonna be fucked if this thread is any indication.

Don't use this thread or forum as any indication of how the mass population will react. Most people will be fine paying $250-$300 for the base model and people like us will fork over the extra money for a premium product. Simple. Most people won't even care and they'll just buy the cheaper model

Blows my mind that anyone who takes a hard stance against PC gaming in favor of consoles would be excited for this.

I'm very curious to see how this works out in terms of sales, game quality, and product messaging.
Why? It doesn't really change any argument. It's still a complete console. It's just coming in 3 years instead of 5-6.

Mediking

LOL, not happening. It will be an option for the hardest of the hardcore that can't stay satisfied.

Pretty much. The tech guys are the ones really supporting this stuff. They'll prolly be the same guys cheering for another PS4K upgrade in the next 2-3 years.

pastrami

I mean, I can understand boycotting companies for conflict minerals, slave labor, and other deplorable practices.

But man, standing up to a company for coming out with an improved product takes the cake.

EhUlwqF.gif

..same again for PS4K when released?

This gif says a lot of things about humanity. Mostly ugly things.

I was waiting for FFXV to hit to get a PS4. Now I don't know what to do.

Marlenus

That's just one factor, though. It's still much slower than a 970.

People forget that a lot of people getting good performance with a 970 on PC also have a CPU that makes what we have in PS4 and XB1 look more silly than they already do.

3570K's, 2500K's, 4670K's, 4690K's, a lot of the i7's. Like it or not, CPU plays a factor in gaming. Especially in games that are a little more open and less linear. While Uncharted 4 isn't an open world/sandbox game, I bet the fact that it's more open than other Uncharted games has forced ND to push that CPU to its limit.

It depends on the game, in killer instinct, quantum break and hitman GCN cards are massively out performing their NV counterparts to the point where the perf/watt of GCN and Maxwell is actually pretty similar.

The PS4 neo will be using something nased on Polaris 10, they might even use Polaris 11 for the standard console die shrink due to the costs involved in re designing the current GCN architecture to 14nm finfet.

The CPU is different because most of jaguar is designed by automated tools so redesigning that for 14nm is much easier than the GPU which is largely designed by hand.

Fucking awful if true.

How are Sony going to sell this?

There is literally nothing good that can come out of this. Nobody wanted this console.

Now the devs have to patch their games and create two versions of the same game.

but why?

The PS4 is murdering right now. There is no need for a new console

JUST WAIT UNTIL 2018 and release the PS5 with full backwards compatibility with PS4 games

Neff

Except Nintendo doesn't have a great track record for 3rd party support.

Well I'm buying one anyway, but if 3rd party on NX falls through, I'll keep an eye on XB1-2. An incremental upgrade of the same console isn't an attractive idea to me, and I don't think Sony is wise to be splitting up their market when they're in a comfortable lead.

You don't buy a Nintendo console for 3rd party games.
Yeah that's my point. The person I replied to said he would get a NX instead of this. That's great, except with nintendos track record with 3rd parties it's not viable as you're only gaming device(console or PC). Also the NX really needs to change that way of thinking for it to be a success. People want to play 3rd party games and most house holds don't own multiple consoles.

Well I'm buying one anyway, but if 3rd party on NX falls through, I'll keep an eye on XB1-2. An incremental upgrade of the same console isn't an attractive idea to me, and I don't think Sony is wise to be splitting up their market when they're in a comfortable lead.
Did you read the information? How are they splitting their market?

John Wick

Indeed.

Because this bump is tiny. The CPU is still bad and is still going to bottleneck, potentially worse than the OG.

33% speed per core will help. Also how many games truly take advantage of more than 4 cores??? As games become more mutithreaded the CPU won't be as bad as some think. Also with the better GPU it could take some of the tasks from the CPU

farisr

If their stance entirely hinged on "have to upgrade every few years" or "I don't want to spend money every few years" then sure that'd be hypocritical. But there are and always have been plenty of other reasons as to why someone can largely favor a console experience over a pc one, and those folks can very well be excited for this without it seeming hypocritical.

thelastword

Banned
So if the current PS4 is a 7850/7870/280 in performance, where would the new model slot in?
Just below a 390, above a 380, so about a 970 or slightly better.

You don't have DX12 on the PS4, AMD cards get better beyond 1080p wich is not the case with the PS4.
Which is the point, AMD GPU's were never weak which their tflops showed, but more so hampered by drivers and cpu overhead as opposed to Nvidia. No need for DX12 on the PS4 because it's has a low level api already, so of course I was making the distinction between AMD hardware in general. That Nvidia Tflops comment is unfounded, without proper software to utilize and take advantage of the hardware, it really doesn't matter how powerful your hardware is.

So using Nvidia's dx11 dominance to prove that it's tflops means more is a bit disingenuous.

killroy87

If their stance entirely hinged on "have to upgrade every few years" then sure that'd be hypocritical. But there are and always have been plenty of other reasons as to why someone can largely favor a console experience over a pc one, and those folks can very well be excited for this without it seeming hypocritical.

I didn't say their opinion is wrong, I just said it blows my tiny little mind :p

Fucking awful if true.

There is literally nothing good that can come out of this. Nobody wanted this console.

Now the devs have to patch their games and create two versions of the same game.

but why?

NO. THEY. DO. NOT.

Christ almighty.

Pretty much. The tech guys are the ones really supporting this stuff. They'll prolly be the same guys cheering for another PS4K upgrade in the next 2-3 years.

It would be pretty dumb if there wasn't another in a few years. I like the idea of having a choice of 2-3 consoles at different prices and power whenever I feel like buying a new one. Keeping them uniformly supported and maintaining plug and play for the masses is the key to it. As long as they get that right it's all upside compared to the current console business.

Raylan

Banned
Fucking awful if true.

but why?

I want it. Read the thread. Others want it, too. Don't speak for others.
You don't want it? Don't buy it. It's only an option. All games will run on both.

stalker

Once I was more or less convinced that the initial leaks were correct, I thought that Sony will not have any problem selling this updated PS4. Apart from designing the best product in terms of features/price, they have been the best in marketing in the last console transition.

My thoughts were that Sony will make it very clear that PS4 owners will not lose anything, all games compatible, etc. They will insist a lot on this aspect when the announcement happens: no one loses by staying with their PS4. It is not that Sony does not want all new buyers to opt for the NEO, or that all early adopters upgrade. They want that, but they also want that customers feel they are not forced, that this is their decision to upgrade. That is how they control the backslash.

I am convinced it will work, and people will chose the PS4 NEO if the price is under 400. Then when there are 40 million PS4 NEO in december 2018, we will see what is the effect on games running on PS4; my prediction, it will be notable.

killroy87

Doesn't this happen in the mobile scene already? iPhone 6 games can run on iPhone 5 but...ughh...do you really want to?

Could be wrong and I agree it would be suicide.

At some point we have to accept that nothing about this is comparable to the mobile scene. Sure, they have incremental upgrades like this and people willingly participate, but those devices are completely different than consoles. They occupy completely different spaces in our lives.

You don't want it? Don't buy it. It's only an option. All games will run on both.

To be fair, he's correct in that before the idea of this was even floating around as a rumor, no one was asking for a mildly upgraded slate of our current consoles.

I mean, maybe someone was asking for it, but I sure as hell didn't see it.

Apologies if this has been covered, but Jeff Gerstmann just confirmed on his Mixlr stream that September releases will require day one patches to include Neo support.

The main title affected being Final Fantasy XV, of course.

Luckydog

Nah, MSFT is already invested in what they are doing, are limited by the same APU supplier, also their ESRAM issue for compatibility with the current Xbox One. They will not scratch what they are doing now, try and find some magical tech to fit their APU with a 3.2x+ the power (over the current Xbox One) to try and beat the PS4K, which will just push their revision back another year or so later.

My prediction if MSFT does this. It will be the same 2.3-2.5 times the power bump over the Xbox One we have now, due to knowing what is available with the APU maker, die size, and the ESRAM issue. That will still put it a good 1TF less in power than the PS4K. We will all find out soon I am sure.

Why would MS even release a console in that range. I have no idea if those specs could be true, but for the sake of argument, lets say that is correct. Given the power gap between PS4 and XBO, does it really make sense to release a new box that is still significantly behind PS4 just to keep from falling farther behind?

ironcreed

Banned

And to hell with that noise. I am not going to be ready for a new PS and Xbox until probably around 2019 at the earliest.

You didn't want it before it was rumoured to even exist.

You didn't buy the PS4 and go "I wish I could get a new PS4 in two years that is slightly more powerful"

This is going to confuse consumers and piss off early adopters who now have the shit PS4.

You buy a console with the hope that you are getting games that push the console. Now the console you spent 399 on is the worst version.

Also, resale value of normal PS4 is going to crash. Who is going to want the shit version now?

Top Bottom