• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The awful "knocking your opponent midair over and over again" in fighting games.

nkarafo

It goes like this:

You hit your opponent hard enough so he gets knocked out but as he falls you hit him again and he repeats the knock down animation mid air. Then you hit him again and again and the result is a human body that basically floats and awkwardly repeats the same animation over and over again until your hit combo ends.

I see this in almost every fighting game. It looks ridiculous, let alone unrealistic. And it's especially jarring in games with good animations and characters that look and move very realistically.

Examples:

tumblr_nf0juc0IgM1slig2vo1_500.gif

Does it bother you? Is it unavoidable for gameplay reasons? Can it be improved visually at least?

Also, are there any fighting games that don't do this?

Edit: This is mostly about how juggling animations look

Edit 2: This isn't about combos

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I believe you're looking for juggling and its gameplay element and isn't really supposed to look realistic.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Yes, it is really bad in terms of visuals, but it makes for a gameplay mechanic people seem to enjoy.

udivision

Its mostly a 3D fighting game (Tekken) problem in terms of awkwardness. Part of why I don't watch many 3D fighters.

Nazo

Its actually my favorite part of fighting games.

It can get a little much some times.

Looking at you Marvel Vs. Capcom.

nkarafo

Juggling, got it. Thanks.

Are there any games that avoid this?

Yeah man I get what you're saying. Its pretty unrealistic, unlike the extreme vertical leaps, fireballs, endurance, character designs...

Its not that it looks unrealistic, it also looks... wrong? Like a glitch/bug of some sort? Can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's the unfinished animation loops?

Mechazawa

Yeah I mean other than juggles fighting games are usually pretty realistic.

We have a thread on the front page dedicated to talking shit about Netherrealm's animations. Complaining about the visual cue for juggles is fair game.

That said, it doesn't really bother me.

ODDI

When I'm playing a fighting game where I'm battling against bears, demons and dinosaurs I throw realism out of the window.

Unicorn

definitely laughable in Mortal Kombat.

Less laughable but even more frustrating in Mahvel.

I think Soul Calibur actually handled it well as you could control your fall and land on your feet, or hit the ground and roll away.

Games with air recovery or even air parry are preferable to me. Melee has DI and air dodging to mitigate some potential combos.

psyfi

Banned
I'm not into fighting games, but juggling has always seemed fine to me. I can imagine it being a frustrating mechanic, but I've never found it visually incongruent or anything.

Lt.Chips

Its not that it looks unrealistic, it also looks... wrong? Like a glitch/bug of some sort? Can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's the unfinished animation loops?

Soul Calibur series has a mechanic where you can wiggle your character in mid air to get out of a juggle so there's that

Maybe I'm not understanding you here, but what exactly is wrong about juggling? Just the weird animation loops? I mean that's not really that big of a deal...

and what would you have them do then? Introduce ragdoll physics or something?

nkarafo

Maybe I'm not understanding you here, but what exactly is wrong about juggling? Just the weird animation loops? I mean that's not really that big of a deal...

and what would you have them do then? Introduce ragdoll physics or something?
Dunno, maybe something that looks more natural?

I would like to see a game that looks like a martial arts fighting game without the crazy physics, even if it has weird characters.

Doesn't sound like you're very interested in playing fighting games if juggling is a problem for you.
I don't think his problem is with the juggling mechanic itself. But more about the hit animation looking really awkward. I wonder if it's possible to have more varied and natural animation when you're getting hit by juggle and not hinder the gameplay.

Totakeke

Never bothered me in 2D fighting games but it always made 3D fighting games (VF, DoA, Tekken, SC) look weird to me because how deliberately floaty the characters are to facilitate that mechanic.

3D arena fighting games including the new ARMS on the other hand are fine because there's not much juggling going around if any.

raven777

TRPi84f.gif

I like juggling in fighting games like Tekken. While it doesn't make sense in terms of realistic-ness, it looks cool to watch, feels good and satisfying to pull it off. While I do feel Tekken's juggling were going a bit too far from T6's bound system and TTT2 having tag and stuff, it's still very cool thing in Tekken if they get the balance right imo.

bumpkin

It's definitely frustrating when you're the juggle-ie, but my god is it satisfying when you'e the juggle-er.

NeonBlack

I would like to see a game that looks like a martial arts fighting game without the crazy physics, even if it has weird characters.

So you an MMA or a boxing game.

Because fireballs, hooks, and claws coming out of people's hands is kinda crazy too.

No it doesn't bother me.

Not really. Pretty much every game that has combos has juggling. In fact, it's usually encouraged, since the best punishes often involve juggling.

Like the UFC games?

Totakeke

I'd like to add it's also a lot more "believable" in that SF5 gif because the motions at least correspond to the direction of the juggle even though it exerts more force than realistically possible. On the other hand, some 3D fighting games allow you to juggle even if you just kicked them below the knee with a light kick, launching them straight back up, and that totally breaks the illusion.

Speely

Banned
A limited amount of juggling is good because it rewards setting it up and maintaining it. When it's too easy to set up, it's shit.

Rymuth

『Inaba Resident』;235542907 said:
It only bothers me in NRS games.
This. This is where I'm at.

I'm okay with juggling but something about Mortal Kombat/Injustice's own version just makes me criii~iiinge.

I (and most others) aren't really playing fighting games for immersion. It's not even a genre I'd recommend to someone obsessed with things behaving realistically.

Crayon

Okay uh how can I explain this.

tenor.gif

It is juggling. Takes practice. It's satisfying. And it's showing off. Too fun to remove for realism.

I have heard many many many newcomers to fighting games complain about it though. Both the look when just observing and the frustration of being juggled if they try to play.

MegaPanda

The best "solution" has already been implemented in newer fighting games. Just have the characters cycle between hit animations based on attack strength/direction.
I don't think they could go any further without affecting gameplay. This also applies to non FG games like Dynasty Warriors, DMC, even Final Fantasy 13.

Not just limited to fighting games, my two young kids juggle my character from doing anything meaningful in Rayman Legends all the time. Little asshats love starting shit :)

It's time I moved them to SFII Turbo.

Top Bottom