• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The awful "knocking your opponent midair over and over again" in fighting games.

Dremorak

Banned
Not knowledgeable about other fighting games, but in smash you can definately avoid being juggled most of the time. There are still a few unavoidable combos, but they aren't easy to execute, and will only work on some characters at some damage percentages

L Thammy

tumblr_n45m68soaj1qh6qtu89.gif

TheOGB

Banned
Dragon Ball Z and Marvel vs Capcom taught us all as impressionable youths that kicking someone's ass in midair is hype

But seriously, looking good/stylish >>> looking realistic, when it comes to fighting games.

Don't worry friend I have the cure for what ails you.
Motherfucker looked like he was doing Tae Bo on his ass
4tCIK.gif

nkarafo

I (and most others) aren't really playing fighting games for immersion. It's not even a genre I'd recommend to someone obsessed with things behaving realistically.
I don't think it's outrageous to prefer a fighting game that looks like a "proper martial arts simulator" without crazy physics.

MMA games are good and all. But i would still like to see a game with traditional/stereotypical fighters of various different styles, various costumes and backgrounds but retaining the MMA realism.

Other than that, i don't mind the juggling gameplay mechanic as a mechanic that much. It's mostly the animations that look off. Maybe they could use specific animations for these things so at least it looks right?

I don't mind juggling as a mechanic and it looks okay in a lot of games. I remember disliking how it looked in Tekken games back in the day, where it looked like someone getting punched in the soles of their feet while lying horizontal in mid-air and that somehow kept them afloat. It made me dislike Tekken early on but I've come around on the game since, still looks kinda weird though. In games like Marvel you got all sorts of superpowers and fireballs and explosions so people bouncing around in the air doesn't look as off as punching someone in the shoes to make em hover.

I don't think it's outrageous to prefer a fighting game that looks like a "proper martial arts simulator" without crazy physics.

MMA games are good and all. But i would still like to see a game with traditional/stereotypical fighters of various different styles, various costumes and backgrounds but retaining the MMA realism.

Other than that, i don't mind the juggling gameplay mechanic as a mechanic. It's the animations that look off. Maybe they could use specific animations for these things so at least it looks right?

there's a fighting game like that called 'Fighters Within'.

Hint: It's one of the worse fighting games ever.

There's a reason video games attempt to do 'make-believe' instead of going full on 'realistic' in terms of mechanics. Because real-life ain't alot of fun.

Even Racing 'simulators' like Gran Turismo and Forza has its fair shares of 'unrealistic' elements because if full-blown 100% realistic, then the game will be broken as hell.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
This is like complaining about unrealistic clip sizes in an FPS. It's such a non-issue that most experienced players of the genre aren't even going to know where to begin discussing it.

Ritzboof

nkarafo

there's a fighting game like that called 'Fighters Within'.

Hint: It's one of the worse fighting games ever.

There's a reason video games attempt to do 'make-believe' instead of going full on 'realistic' in terms of mechanics. Because real-life ain't alot of fun.
That's because it uses shitty motion controls though, not because they wanted to make a realistic looking fighting game. They just failed.

AlexBasch

Doesn't sound like you're very interested in playing fighting games if juggling is a problem for you.
I just realized this after watching a few gameplay video​s of UMvC3 to decide if I should buy it, since I'm totally awful at playing fighting games.

Then I realized that one error means getting comboed until you die. No way to get out other than your opponent messing up or until the health bat is depleted.

Decided to save the money, I'm sure it's a great game for the hardcore fighting game fans, but honestly, I'd go "nah" and stop playing completely.

RRockman

Banned
The only thing I found weird in earlier 3d fighters is when you knock them out and every single one kinda arches their back in pain on the floor and then goes limp.

Always felt that it was uneeded.

I mean, hitting someone in midair over and over again is unrealistic by itself. I don't think it'd be possible to make unrealistic physical movement look normal.

I think it looks really cool.

and it's a fundamental part of the gameplay/strategy in fighting games so it's pretty much present in all of them. It's your reward for landing a hit.

who plays fighting games for realism

Literally no one. Realistic fighting/violence is mostly terrifying and really really boring

Monocle

It's so much fun to do. I don't really care how it looks. Nailing a complicated juggle is incredibly satisfying.

When I'm the one being juggled, I enjoy seeing my opponent's skill. The only time it gets annoying is when they do the same super basic bread & butter combos. At that point I might as well stand in one place while they dick me with an unblockable. Boring.

I don't even like traditional fighting games because I suck at them but when I pull off even a short juggle I feel great. I think it's one of the best parts of the genre funnily enough.

remz

Fuck I miss this game. I Never thought I'd say that towards the end of SF4's lifetime and how excited I was for SF5. However, SF5 is the most boring ass game to play and to watch or appreciate at high level.

This shit here though? Man Smug's execution is ridiculous.

Is it really that different from Smugs Balrog v trigger juggles? Like really doe?

who plays fighting games for realism

It is a contradiction in terms. You really can't have a realistic fighting game. VF is as close as it gets because the fighting styles and strategy but there's very little about it that could be considered realistic.

You seem to just be discovering the genre, OP - really and truly, just relax and leave realism behind, there's not much place for it here.

So, we all like juggling.

Any way to improve how it looks?

Again, I think you're the only person ITT who wants this. It usually looks... pretty awesome really.

mbpm1

Is it really that different from Smugs Balrog v trigger juggles? Like really doe?

the difference is everyone can do those combos in sfv. It's canned combos in a jar.

when smug did them in sfiv it looked like they shouldn't be part of the game.

Top Bottom