• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For Honor Player Wins Official Tournament, $10,000 Using Exploit

https://compete.kotaku.com/for-honor-player-wins-official-tournament-10-000-usin-1797819358

This weekend at fighting game For Honor’s big Season Three tournament for PC, a big, long-standing exploit forged one player’s path to victory. After the match, the victor stated: “I didn’t think it’d be this easy. . . Before the tournament, I hadn’t played the game for two weeks.”

For months, For Honor players have complained of a bug that makes attacks invincible. It’s called “unlock tech,” although “tech” is a generous interpretation. It prevents enemies from parrying certain attacks, so essentially, if the opponent is in range, they will always hit. Nobushi fighters have had a competitive edge because of this for over a month. A recent developer update read, “There are a number of situations where unlocking during an attack can cause it to become un-parryable by the opponent. Across the game, we’re currently working to remove this unintended behavior.” (In a May developer update, For Honor representatives acknowledged a broader issue with unlock tech and said that they were looking into it.)
In the finals, Winner Jakub “SB.Alernakin” Palen did not drop one set playing as a Nobushi fighter. His impressive strings of combos and lightning-fast punishes were made all the deadlier by his regular use of the exploit. Between matches, he’d giggle and crack his knuckles. Awarding Palen his trophy, For Honor’s creative director said, “Good job, buddy. Soon you may have to change your playstyle,” implying that the exploit will soon be patched out of the game. Palen’s prize was $10,000.

Figments

I don't think he should've won through using an exploit. Ubisoft should've at least pushed the tourney back as they worked on a hotfix. That's kind of fucked up that they just went ahead with it instead.

The fact that the exploit has been around for such a long time and Ubisoft is aware of it and still didn't fix it is comical.

Wow. While one could argue its not cheating, it's still dishonest to all hell. Can't believe they let him take home the prize.

If this was truly a completely OP exploit, then it was inevitable. If it wasn't this guy it would be another guy giggling and cracking his knuckles. If the devs don't want this they need to balance and fix their game.

DR2K

Banned
If there's an exploit in fighting games, it will be used. It is super rare for anything to get banned

LCGeek

formerly sane
Every post gets it right so far.

Considering my experiences with ubisoft and glitches good or bad acroos various games I'm not surprised they didn't do shit as usual.

Marcel

Giving away $10,000 to someone abusing exploits when you could fix the exploit in a timely way and not have your tournament look fucking stupid is the most Ubisoft thing I've read lately.

I could have won that tournament. I would just play as Lawbringer and push everyone off the map. The amount of hate mail I get... so fun to play it with a friend. :p

Seriously he's OP AF.

Wow. While one could argue its not cheating, it's still dishonest to all hell. Can't believe they let him take home the prize.
How is it dishonest? It was known for months and yet Ubisoft couldn't even bother to ban it's usage.

The ball is on Ubi's court for not fixing this shit.

Sande

Fair game. You can't enforce rules like "you're not allowed to unlock at specific times because we fucked up the code".

DrDogg

While it was a tournament, it was really more of a promotional event than anything else. It's also an exploit that everyone can use. I'm not seeing why this is an issue at all. Happens all the time in fighting games. It's only banned if it breaks the game, and this does not.

I don't really see how this is any different than crouch tech in Street Fighter or even throw tech OS.

RS4-

I'm more surprised at the $10K. How much did Murderface get for SFV?

Tokido had to work for it. This shit in For Honor, nah.

Ubi with the standards. Shouldn't have bothered with the tournament or award the money.

Marcel

Stuff like this normal get patch fast in fighting games but i guess Ubi don't care that much .

Ubisoft moves at the speed of smell to fix anything. By the time they released a 15+ GB of fixes for Assassin's Creed Unity the damage was already done so much so they released free DLC as an apology to owners of the game.

Compbros

If the tournament is offline then they can't just post-pone it without losing a lot of money (almost assuredly more than 10,000) so they just let it play out and what happens, happens.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Welcome to fighting games, it's part of the game, anyone could have used it and the technique wasnt banned so they only have themselves to blame.

Tournaments are about playing to win with'n the rules of the tournament

Marcel

If it's in the game and there's no rule banning it, what's the problem?

The player isn't the problem. It just makes the developers of the game look incompetent when it's a known (since May) exploit that they are just going to patch out anyway.

DrDogg

The player isn't the problem. It just makes the developers of the game look incompetent when it's a known (since May) exploit that they are just going to patch out anyway.

Capcom didn't patch out throw tech OS until well after the tournament season began. No one in that community complained. In fact, there were probably more complaints when it was eventually patched out.

From a competitive perspective this game has been broken since day one so this shouldnt be surprising. It is the reason their userbase dropped off a cliff so quickly.

I tried to be patient and give the devs time to iron out the balance issues and exploits but as you can see they havent gotten there yet and there are too many quality games out this year vying for my time for me to hang in there and hope they can salvage this.

kuYuri

Why is this not ok in FH, but ok in games like UMvC3? I don't play FH online, so I'm not very familiar with it.

It's shitty that it's still a thing but if other people can use it too it's not that bad imo. It's still crappy since it gives the characters that can use it a distinct advantage.

League of Legends has a very stringent rule against using bugs which I find ridiculous

Because iirc the fear is that teams will figure out exploits and bugs and hold them back to use them in competitive rather than reporting them. Mobas are generally based around understanding exactly how things will interact and planning out situations and moves based on that understanding. It's pretty shitty for competitive if that couldn't be trusted.

No one is going to postpone a tournament of its essentially marketing for the game in the current era of esports. Ubisoft were always going to keep going with it because they need to show people that the game is popular (at least in their eyes). They just had that free to play weekend so the influx of new players via a tournament was crucial.

That said, I don't know why they couldn't just ban that one character. Or was the tech usable on most/all other classes?

DrArchon

I have to imagine that the winner at least did the exploit better than everyone else, so he can at least take pride in that.

And to everyone there that didn't do it, why? If there's thousands of dollars on the line, why wouldn't you use obviously broken tech if it isn't banned? Play to win, man.

It's not his fault at all. I saw a video on this and the guy who won it posted and explained the exploit in a thread before the tournament. He hated the exploit he used to win. At the victory interview He admitted he hadn't played the 2 weeks prior to the tournament and told the dev to don't patch the exploit when he was greeted by the dev. Lol... it was funny to see.

Why is this not ok in FH, but ok in games like UMvC3? I don't play FH online, so I'm not very familiar with it.
What I came to say, but I believe it was vanilla MvC3, pretty sure UMvC got that patched out. I'm reminded of Evos where all the top 8 was was DHC glitch after DHC glitch

Top Bottom