• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For Honor Player Wins Official Tournament, $10,000 Using Exploit

Acerac

Banned
But if a basketball "suddenly deflated" I think it would be pretty obvious to players in the middle of the game and since there is an official rule about ball pressure wouldn't that be different? I don't really follow sports so I may be off my mark completely.

Aye, and where he is coming from is that such a rule should be in place in sports and e-sports. It makes no sense to continue playing when the result can not be what was hoped for initially.

Granted, glitches may be less obvious in LoL or whatnot, but the comparison holds, I feel.

But if a basketball "suddenly deflated" I think it would be pretty obvious to players in the middle of the game and since there is an official rule about ball pressure wouldn't that be different? I don't really follow sports so I may be off my mark completely.

Deflated basketball analogy fits here. I think a well known exploit like this is pretty glaringly obvious to players entering competitive tournaments for a game they dedicate much of their free time for.

Abylim

So if this is completely fine and not on Ubisoft but the players, why are they allegedly patching it? Why tell the winner he will have to change his tactics soon?

This just seems silly.

Aye, and where he is coming from is that such a rule should be in place in sports and e-sports. It makes no sense to continue playing when the result can not be what was hoped for initially.

Granted, glitches may be less obvious in LoL or whatnot, but the comparison holds, I feel.

Do you have any idea how many dives and flagrants are committed in the NBA and get no calls?

gai_shain

The people hosting the tournament can just ban the exploit in the tournament rules, if they know about it and dont its fair game.

mas8705

I doubt Sterling is going to do a special on this, but just in case, might as well do it:

hqdefault.jpg

Fair game. You can't enforce rules like "you're not allowed to unlock at specific times because we fucked up the code".

The tournament actually wasn't even hosted by Ubi and the organizers could have banned the exploit if they wanted.

The guy who won even reported the exploit to Ubisoft and they haven't fixed it yet, 10k is on the line and he uses it to win. Don't hate the player basically, this rests on the tournament organizers and Ubisoft entirely.

DrDogg

So basically you failed to read about the exploit or anything else related to this. Let's shame Kotaku on this and not Ubisoft or the organizers.

The "good old days" are in the 90's. This ain't 90's anymore. Games get patched and fixed in no time, tournaments ban characters due to exploits, players get disqualified for using such techs, etc.

Welcome to the fighting games of 21st century. This isn't the case of spamming as Sagat in Hyper Street Fighter II where they can't fix the issue just because the game has released, lol. And even then, he was banned in all tournaments!

We have competitions where developers acknowledge a bug, and tell everyone not to use it. In fact, it's every current gaming tournament and Fighting game etiquette.

But yes, blame Kotaku.

I'm well aware of how the exploit works. In fact, I'm friends with a couple of people involved in the event. The point is that this isn't ST Akuma. The exploit doesn't guarantee a win. DHC exploit wasn't banned in Marvel. OS isn't banned in any tournaments. The exploit is good, but there are ways around the exploit and even ways to punish the use of the exploit. He didn't just run through the tournament without dropping a single match.

10k for first place? Guess it is a fighting game

Fighting games generally do have lower payouts, but this was a promotional event more than a proper tournament.

The tournament actually wasn't even hosted by Ubi and the organizers could have banned the exploit if they wanted.

The guy who won even reported the exploit to Ubisoft and they haven't fixed it yet, 10k is on the line and he uses it to win. Don't hate the player basically, this rests on the tournament organizers and Ubisoft entirely.

This was absolutely an Ubisoft event. Everyone running it took instruction from Ubi.

Acerac

Banned
Do you have any idea how many dives and flagrants are committed in the NBA and get no calls?

I don't have numbers, do you? I'm genuinely curious now.

Also interesting to me is what is your point asking this question? Is it that subjective rules are bad because they are open to interpretation? How does this relate to the topic off potentially rolling back a game when a glitch occurs? As that is not a subjective opinion, the enforcement could be consistent and fair.

Mubrik

is it hard to fix bugs with the engine ubisoft teams use?
cause this is just the division all over again.
bugs and no fixing.

Also interesting to me is what is your point asking this question? Is it that subjective rules are bad because they are open to interpretation? How does this relate to the topic off potentially rolling back a game when a glitch occurs? As that is not a subjective opinion, the enforcement could be consistent and fair.

Maybe rolling back reintroduces worse exploits that were previously fixed? Or even creates new ones if you're only rolling back specific lines code? You also run into the problem of changing the ruleset on players right before the tournament. It would have to be done months in advance of the tournament and probably wasn't worth the effort as it could have easily just been banned if it was game breaking enough. Double the work and cost over just releasing a patch if it's something that the developer wants fixed eventually.

Drain You

Got it.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
People been doing this shit in Marvel 3 forever with the infinites.

Less common though now, I believe.

Mubrik

They use different game engines, so it probably isn't that.

ah. i see,
i thought they'd go the EA route and push snowdrop for all the big hitters.
they really should

OT:
what i've learnt from ubisoft games and bugs is
if you can't beat em but you really wanna beat em,
join em then beat em.

Yoday

Eh if you're not cheating, you're not trying. Good on him. Everyone else should have used the exploit as well.
Everyone else did use the exploit. It's a known and commonplace exploit that has widespread use. The tournent was filled with unlock tech use as well as dependence on cheap/unbalanced tactics. Everyone had access to the same mechanics, and nearly everyone used them. Framing this as a tournament won because of this exploit is click bait bullshit IMO.

As far as I'm concerned, it's basically becoming more and more problematic. Look, it's competition. People will take whatever advantage they can. Life doesn't take turns throwing challenges at you like Assassin's Creed. Everyone will play by their own rules. Others aren't obligaded to conform to yours.

Acerac

Banned
As far as I'm concerned, it's basically becoming more and more problematic. Look, it's competition. People will take whatever advantage they can. Life doesn't take turns throwing challenges at you like Assassin's Creed. Everyone will play by their own rules. Others aren't obligaded to conform to yours.

Correct. Not sure why you're saying this while quoting my posts, but this is an opinion I agree with so I guess it is cool.

I was genuinely hoping you had numbers, for what it's worth. I guess you have no idea how many no calls happen in the NBA either, huh? :(
Bet Melee players can't even comprehend why this is frowned upon.
I bet any successful sports team would laugh at the notion of it being frowned upon.

Wait, are we being condescending here or talking about how legitimately correct these people are? I am not sure if we can do both at the same time.

Correct. Not sure why you're saying this while quoting my posts, but this is an opinion I agree with so I guess it is cool.

I was genuinely hoping you had numbers, for what it's worth. I guess you have no idea how many no calls happen in the NBA either, huh? :(

You're asking for the number of an unaccounted statistic.

Is there as big an exploit comparatively in current fighting games? (e.g. SFV, Tekken 7)

Been out of the loop.

I don't really follow either game, so I'm not sure. But if we're talking about every other fighting game known to man the answer is, "Yes." So I'm going to assume if they haven't been found in SFV or Tekken 7 the exploits are sitting there waiting to be found. If not that the amount of patching and dlc in games now makes it much more likely that something will be unknowingly introduced at some point. Just a matter of time.

Acerac

Banned
You're asking for the number of an unaccounted statistic.
Yes, because you asked me the question first. It seemed strange that you'd ask me a question you didn't know the answer to, and since it isn't a tracked statistic I thought you may have had some interesting insight.

I'm sorry for my misinterpretation. Perhaps if we didn't agree from the onset the point you were making would have been more clear.

HardRojo

I'm not familiar with how For Honor works (past that beta test from a few months back), but why didn't they simply ban this exploit if they thought of it as such? In fighting games it is common to run into unintended mechanics that either improve the viability of certain characters (while not making them broken) or outright turn them into a broken mess, sometimes people just roll with said unintended mechanics because they're reasonable and offer more variety in gameplay. I don't know how broken this exploit is in For Honor, but I'd guess more people were using it in the tournament, only that the winner was more efficient at it and won.

DHC Glitch in MvC3 was an interesting case, I liked it, but it ultimately didn't help the weaker characters since it was mostly the already good ones who had it like Dante, Zero, Wolverine and Magneto, they certainly didn't need even more tools lol. There were also minor ones like Cody, Ryu and Gen (?) in SF4 who were able to pass through certain characters after hitting a normal and immediately FADCing, those could serve as some kind of mixup, which I believe is fine. There was a timer glitch in MvC3 I believe, which would make the opponent's character never come out after a snapback and there was also one with Thor which outright locked your character in place, those are examples or actual broken exploits.

Edit: Dunno what my stance is regarding the infinite TAC glitch though... shit isn't that easy to pull off and you need lots of practice to get the timing down consistently. Makes for really boring matches when someone does it against you though lol, Zero loops are already boring af and they're completely intended.

big_z

is it hard to fix bugs with the engine ubisoft teams use?
cause this is just the division all over again.
bugs and no fixing.

It's possible or Maybe it's due to the games being made by so many teams it's hard to figure out how to fix things, similar how master chief collection was really hard to fix.

People give Ubisoft a lot of shit for buggy games but they actually QA test a ton. believe me they're well aware of a lot of the issues their games have. Why they don't fix them is another question altogether.

Yes, because you asked me the question first. It seemed strange that you'd ask me a question you didn't know the answer to, and since it isn't a tracked statistic I thought you may have had some interesting insight.

I'm sorry for my misinterpretation. Perhaps if we didn't agree from the onset the point you were making would have been more clear.

I've been watching the NBA since the Jordan era. Just an obvervation over time. One I've had agreements with many others. If my anecdote won't suffice, I'm sure of soccer's famous diving 'reputation'.

I see Ubi as a publisher have returned to their scheduled programming of not giving a shit. For real, they need to devote some proper resources to both this and Siege. They've two games with so much potential that are being squandered.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Reading the OP, it states that it's a technique to make attacks that should normally be blockable unblockable. Why are people calling this "tech"?

This isn't the same as option select or using an assist to lock someone down to be hit by an unblockable. It's a game-breaking glitch that Ubisoft apparently continues to let run free and ran a tournament without banning it on top of that.

Ubisoft is dumb as hell for this and it's all on them for it, but don't categorize this with actual techniques.

Acerac

Banned
Reading the OP, it states that it's a technique to make attacks that should normally be blockable unblockable. Why are people calling this "tech"?

This isn't the same as option select or using an assist to lock someone down to be hit by an unblockable. It's a game-breaking glitch that Ubisoft apparently continues to let run free and ran a tournament without banning it on top of that.

Ubisoft is dumb as hell for this and it's all on them for it, but don't categorize this with actual techniques.

People are calling this a technique because of the definition of the word technique. The relevant one being "a skillful or efficient way of doing or achieving something" which is a description this seems to fit perfectly. Even if you don't think it is skillful, it certainly is an efficient way of achieving something. Why would you not classify this as such? If it were against the rules perhaps I could understand, but as it is fully within the ruleset of the competition I have difficulty classifying it as anything but a legitimate technique.

Keep in mind that many techniques are very strong or unintended.

DaciaJC

Gold Member

Not quite true. It makes attacks un-parryable, but players can still block them regularly. However, since parrying at higher levels is so commonplace for being relatively easy to pull off and granting the defending player a huge momentary advantage, you can see why this sort of exploit could mess with a lot of people's playstyles. I think it also granted certain attacks slightly faster speed, but I only realized that from watching a YouTube video on the topic.

If they were aware of it and didn't want people to use it they could have just made a rule saying it's an exploit and you'd be dq'd for abusing it, not like it'd be hard for a TO to notice repeated use of it. It might be lame but if it's in the game and not against the rules then there's really not much to blame the guy for.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
People are calling this a technique because of the definition of the word technique. The relevant one being "a skillful or efficient way of doing or achieving something" which is a description this seems to fit perfectly. Even if you don't think it is skillful, it certainly is an efficient way of achieving something. Why would you not classify this as such? If it were against the rules perhaps I could understand, but as it is fully within the ruleset of the competition I have difficulty classifying it as anything but a legitimate technique.

Keep in mind that many techniques are very strong or unintended.

With the post below, it clarified things since I'm just going by what the OP stated, I don't own For Honor. It's cheap, but it's a lot less worse than I thought it was. I guess this could be classified as tech instead of a straight-up game breaker, yeah.

Not quite true. It makes attacks un-parryable, but players can still block them regularly. However, since parrying at higher levels is so commonplace for being relatively easy to pull off and granting the defending player a huge momentary advantage, you can see why this sort of exploit could mess with a lot of people's playstyles. I think it also granted certain attacks slightly faster speed, but I only realized that from watching a YouTube video on the topic.

Ooooooh. Well that's different then rather than making attacks straight-up unblockable. The OP gave me that impression, hence my post.

Top Bottom