• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For Honor Player Wins Official Tournament, $10,000 Using Exploit

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Not quite true. It makes attacks un-parryable, but players can still block them regularly. However, since parrying at higher levels is so commonplace for being relatively easy to pull off and granting the defending player a huge momentary advantage, you can see why this sort of exploit could mess with a lot of people's playstyles. I think it also granted certain attacks slightly faster speed, but I only realized that from watching a YouTube video on the topic.
That's a pretty interesting attack property, in that case. Too bad it's a glitch and not an actual move.

Uraizen

Banned
Not banned and not fixed for a game that's actively in development? Fair game, I don't blame the players for abusing it to win $10k. If the creative director doesn't like it he better get to work on fixing it ASAP.

Peroroncino

Not sure what's more sad, using an exploit to win, or that piss poor comment by the creative director. What a joke, I'd be furious if I was a contestant.

Toxi

Banned
Not sure what's more sad, using an exploit to win, or that piss poor comment by the creative director. What a joke, I'd be furious if I was a contestant.
Using an exploit to win isn't sad. It's not like this player was the only one doing it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
How is it allowed? The fundamental aspect of any competition is to ensure that every participant stands on equal footing with one another. How come the ability to use an exploit that the other players can't can be qualified as anything but unfair...?

Tripon

I don't think he should've won through using an exploit. Ubisoft should've at least pushed the tourney back as they worked on a hotfix. That's kind of fucked up that they just went ahead with it instead.
Fuck that. Play to win. If the devs leave in the cheap stuff that's the devs fault. Also, if the tournament organizers didn't ban the exploit, then it's legal.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
How is it allowed? The fundamental aspect of any competition is to ensure that every participant stands on equal footing with one another. How come the ability to use an exploit that the other players can't can be qualified as anything but unfair...?

The other players could though

Whats to say that the other players couldn't utilize the same exploit. I'm gonna fall in the group of use whats available. Not fully comparable but this strikes me the same as an infinite combos or using S+ Tier Characters in tournaments. If the rules do not explicitly ban the exploit then its fair game. Can't hate the player for using everything thats available to them.

Marcel

The player is not to blame for using whatever tournament legal advantage necessary to win. If the developers actually gave a shit they would have fixed it in time for the event. As it stands they're now forced to care only because the exploit probably embarrassed them in public.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

What makes you think the other players can't?

it's basically an unblockable set up in a normal fighting game

If you don't know how to handle a game at the highest level it's played at you are gonna lose when money is on the line

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The other players could though

Whats to say that the other players couldn't utilize the same exploit. I'm gonna fall in the group of use whats available. Not fully comparable but this strikes me the same as an infinite combos or using S+ Tier Characters in tournaments. If the rules do not explicitly ban the exploit then its fair game. Can't hate the player for using everything thats available to them.

This exploit is only available for a certain character, right? Or is it that it can be pulled off by all characters? Because if it can't, then it gives players who use that character unfair advantage over players that don't.

Well.... it's mostly Ubisoft's fault though.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
This exploit is only available for a certain character, right? Or is it that it can be pulled off by all characters? Because if it can't, then it gives players who use that character unfair advantage over players that don't.

Well.... it's mostly Ubisoft's fault though.

It's a tournament if they want to win then people need to pick the option that will give them the win

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It's a tournament if they want to win then people need to pick the option that will give them the win

It's just seems funny to me because, like I said, competition is all about giving all the competitors equal footing, and giving certain players the ability to use exploits that others can't was just so stupid.

nynt9

Fighting games grow through exploits. A large portion of Melee's moveset (and appeal) is glitches. Combos were created as a glitch in Street Fighter 1.

This goes beyond fg too. Bunnyhopping, rocket jumping, sliding, surfing, etc. There are entire competitive genres born because of glitches, including the modern fighting game.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
It's just seems funny to me because, like I said, competition is all about giving all the competitors equal footing, and giving certain players the ability to use exploits that others can't was just so stupid.

Players can use whatever character they want, if a player doesnt want to pick the best set of tools that's on them

In this scenario the stupid ones are the players who didn't choose the best path to victory

Marcel

Fighting games grow through exploits. A large portion of Melee's moveset (and appeal) is glitches. Combos were created as a glitch in Street Fighter 1.

This goes beyond fg too. Bunnyhopping, rocket jumping, sliding, surfing, etc. There are entire competitive genres born because of glitches, including the modern fighting game.

This is all accurate but let's not give For Honor more credit than it deserves. Nothing will be created out of an exploit in an Ubisoft service game that you barely hear about anymore.

Either you make a tournament rule about the exploit, you patch the exploit out, or you accept that the player was playing the game you made. Exploits are part of the game, and if your game has them, the competitive and speed running communities will make the most of them.

Thats the players decision though. Lets say for example there are Characters X,Y,Z but character Y has an exploit. The only reason other players would not pick Y is could be that they don't want to use the exploit, dont' want to use it, or have developed a strategy/counter to it. But thats all on them.

In the end, we thankfully live in a world where stuff can get patched out. Should they have done it before this tournament? Probably but u can't fault the winner for using the best method to win.

Alric

From what I know, they did patch to fix it and players just found another way to exploit and use it anyways. Ubisoft asked the organizers not to allow that "tech" to be used but the organizers decided to allow it anyways.

Also this is the patch coming out tomorrow.

"NOBUSHI
Unlock tech
[Bug Fix] Cobra Strike and Sidewinder Form can no longer become un-parryable if unlocked at the right time.
Developer comments: There are a number of situations where unlocking during an attack can cause it to become un-parryable by the opponent. Across the game, we’re currently working to remove this unintended behavior."

For all those saying Ubisoft don't care, the team responsible for the game has had weekly updates to address issues. I've been playing since release and yeah, there is still things in the game that need fixing, but they are constantly doing more for the game.

Perineum

This would be like back in the day if Gears 1 Cliffy B bro fisted the team that won and they all crab walked or kung fu flipped.

What a god damn joke just like this shit tier game.

Aselith

From what I know, they did patch to fix it and players just found another way to exploit and use it anyways. Ubisoft asked the organizers not to allow that "tech" to be used but the organizers decided to allow it anyways.

Also this is the patch coming out tomorrow.

"NOBUSHI
Unlock tech
[Bug Fix] Cobra Strike and Sidewinder Form can no longer become un-parryable if unlocked at the right time.
Developer comments: There are a number of situations where unlocking during an attack can cause it to become un-parryable by the opponent. Across the game, we’re currently working to remove this unintended behavior."

For all those saying Ubisoft don't care, the team responsible for the game has had weekly updates to address issues. I've been playing since release and yeah, there is still things in the game that need fixing, but they are constantly doing more for the game.

How long has unlock tech been in?

He has the right to use whatever tactic to win, at least it wasn't something really bad like a softlock glitch or a basically a scam, such as Gambit going offscreen in MVC2 so the match basically becomes unplayable. Ubisoft should have fixed it because this glitch basically undermines a fundamental aspect of the game which is parries, you would think something like this would be a priority to fix since a core mechanic basically becomes useless against the Nobushi.

nynt9

This is all accurate but let's not give For Honor more credit than it deserves. Nothing will be created out of an exploit in an Ubisoft service game that you barely hear about anymore.

I mean, we're talking about it and a tournament held for it right now? It was the second best selling game of the year and is still in the top 5, in a very stacked year. It's on its third season of content and continues to receive support. Give the game some credit.

I don't think unparryable attacks which will be patched out (according to the quote in the OP) really count as that sort of thing.

erawsd

I don't think unparryable attacks which will be patched out (according to the quote in the OP) really count as that sort of thing.

Yeah,a lot of things might get a pass for "creative use of game mechanics" but there's also a long history of things being banned by the fighting game communities because people consider them against the spirit of fairness and competition. This exploit seems to fall into the latter, even the guy using it seems to be making a point about how dumb it is that the devs haven't fixed it.

Was his opponent using it too? I'd have to imagine in the tourney scene if this is allowed everyone would be doing it, and thus on equal footing,

ShinLad

Neo Member
This is hilarious, so many scrubs in this thread. Congrats to the Nobushi player. If you think he doesn't deserve every dollar then competitive gaming is not for you.

Top Bottom