• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For Honor Player Wins Official Tournament, $10,000 Using Exploit

Marcel

If it was a known exploit they should have at least banned it if they didn't have time to fix it.

According to the article the exploit has been known by the developers since May. Who knows how long it was in use even before then?

Acerac

Banned
Until it is patched out or banned in tournaments every player should be using this exploit if it is advantageous.

What's the problem here?

Gxgear

I don't blame the player (although poor showing for his behaviour) I blame the developer/publisher. It's not uncommon for tournaments to impose ban, and by not doing so while knowing an exploit exists is a huge disservice to Ubi's own game.

There's a problem here, some people actually avoid using bullshit like that in fear of getting banned when scores of people around them get away with it. It's a roll of the dice if what you do is accepted or not.
What's annoying is the same old tired excuse these people have "if the game let's me, it's okay". I don't think these people understand what they are saying. They do it to get an edge above others, knowingly; and whine like babies when they get caught. They know a lot of people won't use it because surprisingly there are honest people.

Except when you don't punish them it makes it worse, just teaches them to keep doing whatever, whenever until it's fixed. You even see youtube vids from popular people in certain games making videos how to abuse exploits now like it's completely fucking normal.
Part of what turns me off from anything competitive, even though I still play competitive games you never know who you're playing against if it's a fair game.

This is a well known exploit. If a tournament organizer does not ban a well known exploit where is this fear of punishment coming from? And until it is fixed why not use it? Everyone has access to it, right? If it's game breaking the tournament organizer can ban it and the developers will hopefully fix it. If we're talking about regular online play developers will usually be nice to let you know they're aware of the problem and any continued use of said exploit will result in punishment.

Truth is tons of exploits become the meta in fighters. No fighting game system ends up working exactly as intended. Your post comes off as extremely whiny and unknowledgeable just like the Kotaku article.

FinKL

Do all characters do this? If it was isolated to one character they should of just banned that character, really a poor showing from Ubi

CSJ

Until it is patched out or banned in tournaments every player should be using this exploit if it is advantageous.

What's the problem here?

Was it made clear? Did the opponent assume that using AN EXPLOIT would be suspicious and have his win void? What? I understand, sadly; why exploiting is so prevalent with people, they honestly don't have the ability to see what they are doing is wrong in any way.

Knowingly using something your opponent may or may not be using, or know is legitimate in that specific instance is the cheesiest of cheese.
You can't play properly.

But hey like any sports, you gotta cheat somewhere to win because you're not good enough I guess huh.

This is a well known exploit. If a tournament organizer does not ban a well known exploit where is this fear of punishment coming from? And until it is fixed why not use it? Everyone has access to it, right? If it's game breaking the tournament organizer canl ban it and the developers will hopefully fix it.

Truth is tons of exploits become the meta in fighters. No fighting game system ends up working exactly as intended. Your post comes off as extremely whiny and unknowledgeable just like the Kotaku article.

Fear of punishment for doing something you feel is wrong, most of us have that sensibility. (also let me clarify, it's not just because you'll get punished if you get caught in case someone decides to pick at the details)
I understand you might not.

Oh wow... then this guy probably just did the game a favor. If the devs didn't think it was important enough to fix before, I have to imagine something this embarrassing will change their minds.

Eh knowing Ubi, I wouldn't count on it.

All the competitors should just learn how to use the exploit and practice it just like they should practice everything else about the game. Once everyone is good at using the exploit the field is once again leveled and even.

Mohasus

Fear of punishment for doing something you feel is wrong, most of us have that sensibility. (also let me clarify, it's not just because you'll get punished if you get caught in case someone decides to pick at the details)

Abusing a glitch in a game isn't wrong unless stated otherwise.

That dota 2 glitch posted here was known for years, but the developers left it in game because they thought it was funny. Until a team abused to win almost 350k USD, then it was patched.

Acerac

Banned
Was it made clear? Did the opponent assume that using AN EXPLOIT would be suspicious and have his win void? What? I understand, sadly; why exploiting is so prevalent with people, they honestly don't have the ability to see what they are doing is wrong in any way.

Knowingly using something your opponent may or may not be using, or know is legitimate in that specific instance is the cheesiest of cheese.
You can't play properly.

But hey like any sports, you gotta cheat somewhere to win because you're not good enough I guess huh.
If there is a very strong tactic and it has not been banned, you use said tactic. You can assume your opponent will as well, because it is a very strong tactic. If it is cheesy, then changes should be made to the game to not allow this tactic. Players should NEVER avoid using a tactic in a competitive setting to avoid being perceived as cheap, it will only hurt their chances of winning.

Your last line is cute though, it shows an absolute lack of historical perspective when it comes to sports. I could list literally hundreds of rule changes that were implemented because people were using tactics that were debatably unhealthy for the game. Were these teams/players cheating? Hell no, they were playing optimally given the ruleset provided.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

I don't disagree with this but don't you feel adaptation should be a strong pillar in a competitive game especially one with lot's of rounds in finals like moba's tend to have.

There's a difference between adaptation and an unintended bug. If mechanics interact in a way you didn't expect, awesome, adapt to it. Someone made a play you didn't expect, they used character's abilities in a combination you didn't know was possible.

That's different from ability 'A' doing the same thing the million times you've seen it, and then that ability suddenly behaving different. The competition is supposed to be evaluating mastery in a very defined ruleset, and the understanding is that the rules and interactions are complex and numerous, but that they are concrete. Having that ruleset randomly broken might be fun to watch or play, but it's no longer evaluating the mastery of the game in the way that it is supposed to be. A chess match where a player can randomly have a piece stolen from him by a member of the audience isn't a very good evaluation of how good the players are at chess, even if it'd be fun to watch.

I don't think I have ever regretted buying a game as much as For Honor. And I bought Superman 64, Dukes of Hazzard, Roadsters, Test Drive 6, The Ring, and South Park (PS1). At least those were physical and could be returned. My copy of For Honor is digital and forever taints my purchase history.

Of fucking course there is an exploit. Of course Ubi knows about it and ran a tourney anyway. And of course someone won 10 grand exploiting it. The most Ubisoft thing ever.

Acerac

Banned
There's a difference between adaptation and an unintended bug. If mechanics interact in a way you didn't expect, awesome, adapt to it. Someone made a play you didn't expect, they used character's abilities in a combination you didn't know was possible.

That's different from ability 'A' doing the same thing the million times you've seen it, and then that ability suddenly behaving different. The competition is supposed to be evaluating mastery in a very defined ruleset, and the understanding is that the rules and interactions are complex and numerous, but that they are concrete. Having that ruleset randomly broken might be fun to watch or play, but it's no longer evaluating the mastery of the game in the way that it is supposed to be.

Perhaps the game should be changed so that it reflects how the developers intended people to play it? Do you guys know why the shot clock exists in basketball? Why icing exists in hockey? If optimal play disturbs the proper flow of the game you change how the game works.
I don't know, I haven't seen the rules.

Fair enough, wasn't sure if you were just doing a thing. A lot of people seem to believe that cheating can occur without breaking any rules, so it has been a very confusing thread for me.

"In the finals, Winner Jakub ”SB.Alernakin" Palen did not drop one set playing as a Nobushi fighter. His impressive strings of combos and lightning-fast punishes were made all the deadlier by his regular use of the exploit. Between matches, he'd giggle and crack his knuckles. Awarding Palen his trophy, For Honor's creative director said, ”Good job, buddy. Soon you may have to change your playstyle," implying that the exploit will soon be patched out of the game. Palen's prize was $10,000."

I read that paragraph, and I am reminded why I avoid E-Sports like the plague. Dude is acting like a total douche because he is getting away with the exploit. And he won 10k for doing so. At least his last name was not Brady, then things would have really gotten testy :)

That is some piss poor "sportsmanship" right there.

Perhaps the game should be changed so that it reflects how the developers intended people to play it? Do you guys know why the shot clock exists in basketball? Why icing exists in hockey? If optimal play disturbs the proper flow of the game you change how the game works.

Hockey and basketball aren't built on code where it can sometimes glitch. If the basketball suddenly deflates are they forced to continue playing and adapting?

I sure don't. Then again I've learned being successful at anything in life requires being the best at navigating the gray areas just short of outright crossing that boundary. And I'd like to point out that we're also talking about videogames here. A situation where everyone has access to the same tools and literally not a single person is being hurt out of their own control here. Seems to me this is insanely ridiculous to even apply this discussion to competitive gaming in this scenario.

Mugsy

A chess match where a player can randomly have a piece stolen from him by a member of the audience isn't a very good evaluation of how good the players are at chess, even if it'd be fun to watch.

That is not an accurate representation of what happened, that would be against the rules and would be fixed by whatever official there is for the Chess match. This is closer to a player finding an obscure rule in the 300 page official rulebook for chess tournaments that lets a knight act like a queen in specific circumstances, making sure others know it exists, then a while later using that rule in a chess tournament. If the chess tournament wanted to change the rules or make some declaration against that obscure rule they could have, they just did not bother.

Acerac

Banned
Hockey and basketball aren't built on code where it can sometimes fail. If the basketball suddenly deflates are they forced to continue playing and adapting?

No, because rules are in place for when such events occur, because the people who designed the game know it would be foolish to leave such things to the whim of whoever is referee at the time. As Ubisoft should do with the rules (code) of their game.

If you try to be witty about subjects you don't know much about you can make some really silly statements.

Might as well make your game unwatchable broken mess and flush the competitive scene down the toilet.

Fucking New Jersey Devils ruining the game, nobody wants to watch that boring neutral zone trap bullshit all night.

FSLink

Banned
You can't play properly.

It's not cheating if the game and the ruleset allows it.

CSJ

Your last line is cute though, it shows an absolute lack of historical perspective when it comes to sports. I could list literally hundreds of rule changes that were implemented because people were using tactics that were debatably unhealthy for the game. Were these teams/players cheating? Hell no, they were playing optimally given the ruleset provided.

I was actually talking about performance enhancing, not tactics.
C'mon I thought that was implied!

Alright fine.

Toxi

Banned
Outside wave dashing and wobbling, there aren't really any exploits commonly used in Melee. And wave dashing only provides an extra form of movement, not a game-breaking advantage. Wobbling is game-breaking, but it's on a character that's otherwise not too exceptional.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Sounds like a normal fighting game thing to me. Not like the player doing this was the only one at the event aware or capable of doing the same.

No, because rules are in place for when such events occur, because the people who designed the game know it would be foolish to leave such things to the whim of whoever is referee at the time. As Ubisoft should do with the rules (code) of their game.

If you try to be witty about subjects you don't know much about you can make some really silly statements.

... I was having a discussion with someone about Riot/League of Legends not allowing people to exploit bugs in competitive matches. His argument was that they should be allowed because it forces players to adapt more. You're trying to argue something completely different. I'm all for people using the exploit in this case. It wasn't outlawed so use it or get steamrolled by someone using it. Riot does have something in place for it, they can roll back the game to before it happened. The argument I was having about whether having to play when the basketball deflates is better, because the players would be forced to adapt. In both cases it's not in the rules.

Thanks for being condescending!

FSLink

Banned
I was actually talking about performance enhancing, not tactics.
C'mon I thought that was implied!

Alright fine.

That isn't even an equivalent lol. This is like if the rules allowed performance enhancing drugs, the player showed the people in charge of the rules about it and they knew about it, and they didn't change the rules so he used it during a tournament. Can't hate on him if it's allowed.

CSJ

That isn't even an equivalent lol. This is like if the rules allowed performance enhancing drugs, the player showed the people in charge of the rules about it and they knew about it, and they didn't change the rules so he used it during a tournament. Can't hate on him if it's allowed.

I know it's not the same, I was just saying people will do whatever to win.

Gotta give him props honestly. Dunno why ubi would hold a tourney with that

Because it clearly wasn't game breaking enough and everyone that entered the tournament had known about it for months? The guy that won just used it and other tools the best. The majority of players in the tournament surely also used the exploit and still lost. The 2 dudes that applied their broken morality system to For Honor also lost and probably should have saved some cash by staying home. Standard competitive fighting game fair.

This whole thread and the kotaku articles just reeks of 1990's "throwing is cheap" whimpering.

Acerac

Banned
... I was having a discussion with someone about Riot/League of Legends not allowing people to exploit bugs in competitive matches. His argument was that they should be allowed because it forces players to adapt more. You're trying to argue something completely different. I'm all for people using the exploit in this case. It wasn't outlawed so use it or get steamrolled by someone using it. Riot does have something in place for it, they can roll back the game to before it happened. The argument I was having about whether having to play when the basketball deflates is better, because the players would be forced to adapt. In both cases it's not in the rules.

I follow now, I should have read up the quote chain and not assumed you were replying solely to the quoted post.

I do dumb stuff sometimes, but I'll admit it. Some opinions here lack perspective, and it makes me not give the proper thought to others that I may see. My apologies.

Drain You

But if a basketball "suddenly deflated" I think it would be pretty obvious to players in the middle of the game and since there is an official rule about ball pressure wouldn't that be different? I don't really follow sports so I may be off my mark completely.

mas8705

So was Ubisoft aware of the exploit beforehand? Or wait it that it was something they didn't rule on until after it had come and gone? It would be like getting angry at someone who is using "Wobbles" in Melee if you didn't forbid the maneuver beforehand.

If there is an exploit, you better believe that those who can do it will use it. Hopefully Ubisoft will make good on fixing these issues since if this was used right in front of their eyes (not to mention the player using the exploit probably didn't help the competitive scene for the game.
At least for the short term until it gets fixed up. Are Peacekeepers are hated?)

Top Bottom