• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For Honor Player Wins Official Tournament, $10,000 Using Exploit

FSLink

Banned
Capcom didn't patch out throw tech OS until well after the tournament season began. No one in that community complained. In fact, there were probably more complaints when it was eventually patched out.

It was moreso that throw tech OS was a nice defensive option, so patching that out in addition to Capcom patching the game to make other defense options even weaker pissed people off. Throw tech OS also had counterplay against it so it wasn't even too bad.

As for the topic, if the developers knew this ahead of time and didn't release a hotfix or state something like "you cannot use this exploit for this tournament while we patch this out", then too bad. Good on the player for playing to win.
I don't think he should've won through using an exploit. Ubisoft should've at least pushed the tourney back as they worked on a hotfix. That's kind of fucked up that they just went ahead with it instead.

Yeah or pushed the tournament back if they really didn't want people using it. People will do what they should be doing if they want to win. If the game and the rules allow it, you shouldn't be mad if players take advantage of it.

Mugsy

If he had developed the exploit in secret and revealed it during the tournament I could see reason to be angry. However it seems like the exploit was well known to devs and tournament organizers before the event however and they chose not to patch it from the game or ban its use at the tournament. If people want to complain at someone I would direct it at the devs and organizers who allowed exploit, not the player who used everything available to win.

Because iirc the fear is that teams will figure out exploits and bugs and hold them back to use them in competitive rather than reporting them. Mobas are generally based around understanding exactly how things will interact and planning out situations and moves based on that understanding. It's pretty shitty for competitive if that couldn't be trusted.

I don't disagree with this but don't you feel adaptation should be a strong pillar in a competitive game especially one with lot's of rounds in finals like moba's tend to have.

that's so awesome...

The TO should've specifically prohibited use of the exploit if they didn't want it to be used in the tournament. There's no issue here, and not really anything to write about/discuss, other than how crazy it is that Ubisoft let this exploit rock for so long that it effectively "ruined" a tournament.

Thing with these service games is that you really should build a rep of showing you care and when you let that happen into a tournament, it just drags you down in the future. This shouldn't have happened, UBI let it happen, and this is the result.

Alchemy

It is up the developers to prevent this stuff, competitive players just play to win with whatever rules they get.

KaYotiX

Banned
Glad I stopped playing this joke of a game long ago.

It was the most fun the first month or so before exploits and cheese ruined it for me.

For Honor is such an embarrassing pile of shit. I can't believe the game is still fucked 6 months later.

Ubishit should be ashamed.

I feel like Ubisoft really shouldn't be handing out $10k right now for any reason, but especially one that does the opposite of promote a current title.

I wonder if pro players feel slick when they bust out exploits in tournaments. A year or two ago there was this CSGO tournament where one team used a previously unknown boost to let them see most of the map from their spawn point. It was a clear exploit that no one knew about until that point and they won the match using it. The community backlash to that bullshit was so severe that the team had to forfeit the game and drop out of the tournament. That's the correct response to exploits, not shaking the hand of the person who does it while handing him the trophy.

Then again, that's the difference between proper esports and joke games that think they can become esports just because they throw money into tournaments. I'm not even sure how much of the blame you can put on the player when this bug was known for months and Ubi was just too stupid to fix it in time.

Drain You

If anyone could use it I think its fair game, like others have said. Also it really should have been patched prior if they didn't want it used. Also...

Ubisoft moves at the speed of smell to fix anything. By the time they released a 15+ GB of fixes for Assassin's Creed Unity the damage was already done so much so they released free DLC as an apology to owners of the game.

I just want to know what this means.

I wonder if pro players feel slick when they bust out exploits in tournaments. A year or two ago there was this CSGO tournament where one team used a previously unknown boost to let them see most of the map from their spawn point. It was a clear exploit that no one knew about until that point and they won the match using it. The community backlash to that bullshit was so severe that the team had to forfeit the game and drop out of the tournament. That's the correct response to exploits, not shaking the hand of the person who does it while handing him the trophy.

Then again, that's the difference between proper esports and joke games that think they can become esports just because they throw money into tournaments. I'm not even sure how much of the blame you can put on the player when this bug was known for months and Ubi was just too stupid to fix it in time.

Erm, esports is rife with examples of exploiting programming.

mnannola

You can't hold a competition when there are huge exploits that are pretty much required to win. That is embarrassing.

Can't blame the guy for playing to win. He didn't have an edge over the competition that no other player had. My guess is the majority of the entrants tried to exploit it the best they could. He clearly didn't win because of this exploit. He won because he used it and all of the other tools better than anyone else.

It's completely on Ubi to make sure their game shows well at tournaments. Not the people playing their game. If this is actually a huge issue with the community the tournament should have been delayed for a fix.

And it's not like this isn't common in competitive fighters. Half the time exploits, depending on how game breaking, just become the meta. GTFO out with cries of cheese and glitches lol

DrDogg

Seriously, everyone complaining in this thread must not be familiar with competitive fighting games. This is common and shouldn't be looked down upon. Ubi could've fixed it, but every single person (all of which got flown out to the event) was aware of the exploit and the ability to use the exploit at the event or at least learn the best defense/counter against it. This is on the competitors, not Ubi.

If he had developed the exploit in secret and revealed it during the tournament I could see reason to be angry. However it seems like the exploit was well known to devs and tournament organizers before the event however and they chose not to patch it from the game or ban its use at the tournament. If people want to complain at someone I would direct it at the devs and organizers who allowed exploit, not the player who used everything available to win.

Welcome to fighting games? Before the internet explosion, that's exactly what happened. You developed tech in secret to use at whatever big tournament was coming up. This is not looked down upon at all in the FGC. In fact, shame on Kotaku for even calling this out. Just shows their lack of understanding when it comes to competitive fighting games.

Glad I stopped playing this joke of a game long ago.

It was the most fun the first month or so before exploits and cheese ruined it for me.

So basically you don't like fighting games? Got it!

Alienous

Thinking about it maybe it is good to stink up a tournament like that by highlighting a glitch.

Can't think of a better way to point out a problem in a game.

Seriously, everyone complaining in this thread must not be familiar with competitive fighting games. This is common and shouldn't be looked down upon. Ubi could've fixed it, but every single person (all of which got flown out to the event) was aware of the exploit and the ability to use the exploit at the event or at least learn the best defense/counter against it. This is on the competitors, not Ubi.

Welcome to fighting games? Before the internet explosion, that's exactly what happened. You developed tech in secret to use at whatever big tournament was coming up. This is not looked down upon at all in the FGC. In fact, shame on Kotaku for even calling this out. Just shows their lack of understanding when it comes to competitive fighting games.

So basically you don't like fighting games? Got it!

So basically you failed to read about the exploit or anything else related to this. Let's shame Kotaku on this and not Ubisoft or the organizers.

The "good old days" are in the 90's. This ain't 90's anymore. Games get patched and fixed in no time, tournaments ban characters due to exploits, players get disqualified for using such techs, etc.

Welcome to the fighting games of 21st century. This isn't the case of spamming as Sagat in Hyper Street Fighter II where they can't fix the issue just because the game has released, lol. And even then, he was banned in all tournaments!

We have competitions where developers acknowledge a bug, and tell everyone not to use it. In fact, it's every current gaming tournament and Fighting game etiquette.

But yes, blame Kotaku.

LordKasual

Banned

This is where I stand on this. Complaining about an "exploit" is pointless when it's an option (and has been an option) long before the tournament.

The reality of fighting games is that sometimes....your desire to win has to be stronger than your desire to main a character.

It's good that they're removing it, but i commend them for not kneejerking and removing it from the game before the tournament, or invalidating his win.

Good job, buddy. Soon you may have to change your playstyle

I mean he still got the money but

dRDRE.gif

Did you know? Wavedashing in Melee is considered an exploit.

Oh, wait. You did know that. Did you know? Combos in Street Fighter 2 are considered an exploit.

Oh wait. You did know that. Did you know? Rocket jumping without invu-

You get the point. I don't really see the problem with it. If I understand currently, Ubi was the TO here. They could have made a "soft" patch in the rules that said that matches where this glitch is triggered have to be repeated. Or they could actually patch it out in the game. They didn't, so, well, good for the winner. If anything the fact that this was known way before makes the situation clearer, everyone could try to do this glitch.

This is where I stand on this. Complaining about an "exploit" is pointless when it's an option (and has been an option) long before the tournament.

The reality of fighting games is that sometimes....your desire to win has to be stronger than your desire to main a character.

It's good that they're removing it, but i commend them for not kneejerking and removing it from the game before the tournament, or invalidating his win.

I disagree. Just because everyone can pick a buggy character doesn't mean they will. Just because everyone can use a certain tech doesn't mean everyone will. Where's the damn etiquette or honor (no puns intended) in this shit? I've seen teams getting banned for exploits that everyone could use but didn't. I've seen exploits discovered at tournaments and collectively banned by everyone.

I disagree and Ubisoft should've banned the character and the exploit. They didn't cause this is marketing got them.

DataBased

Can't really blame the guy for playing to win. The Tournament organizer could have easily banned unlock tech if they didn't want it used.

People finding and using new tech to their advantage is a common thing in fighting games, this article reads like the author doesn't really get that.

CSJ

It is up the developers to prevent this stuff, competitive players just play to win with whatever rules they get.

There's a problem here, some people actually avoid using bullshit like that in fear of getting banned when scores of people around them get away with it. It's a roll of the dice if what you do is accepted or not.
What's annoying is the same old tired excuse these people have "if the game let's me, it's okay". I don't think these people understand what they are saying. They do it to get an edge above others, knowingly; and whine like babies when they get caught. They know a lot of people won't use it because surprisingly there are honest people.

Except when you don't punish them it makes it worse, just teaches them to keep doing whatever, whenever until it's fixed. You even see youtube vids from popular people in certain games making videos how to abuse exploits now like it's completely fucking normal.
Part of what turns me off from anything competitive, even though I still play competitive games you never know who you're playing against if it's a fair game.

So basically you failed to read about the exploit or anything else related to this. Let's shame Kotaku on this and not Ubisoft or the organizers.

The "good old days" are in the 90's. This ain't 90's anymore. Games get patched and fixed in no time, tournaments ban characters due to exploits, players get disqualified for using such techs, etc. Welcome to the fighting games of 21st century.

So many blanket statements. Most of competitive fighting game meta revolves around unintended exploits also. I don't know how game breaking this actually is, I don't play For Honor. But the article title seems extremely stupid of Kotaku at first glance.

Have competitive players really been crying for the exploit's removal, or have they been just fine learning and taking advantage of it? Either way this is on Ubisoft and they clearly decided to move on with the tournament for whatever reason without a fix.

Game's called For Honor not "For the Honorless"

Hey it's for $10k. I'd rather be honorless and win that 10k than have honor whatever that means in a game tournament, and win nothing. Ubisoft didn't patch it and the tourney didn't forbid it, so the player did the right, and more importantly smart thing. The people who knew about this exploit and chose not to do that were honorable but dumb and walked away with nothing but their "honor".

Top Bottom