• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Skyrim on Switch Hands-on Look

If it can't even render a 360 game in 1080p this thing is weaker docked than I thought.

720p handheld should mean 1080p docked. Then again even something as basic looking as Mario X Rabbids is 900p docked so who knows.
oh-really.jpg

If it can't even render a 360 game in 1080p this thing is weaker docked than I thought.

720p handheld should mean 1080p docked. Then again even something as basic looking as Mario X Rabbids is 900p docked so who knows.

Isn't the Switch version the Enhanced Edition, hence not a 360 game? Don't those only run at 30fps on the current gen consoles as well, at 1080p?

You think Mario + Rabbids looks basic? Looks super clean and sharp to me.

Cartho

PS4 has frame drops at 1080p.....

Hold on just a minute - this has mod support?

What? I'd be mighty surprised if it do.

But IF it does I'll actually consider buying it.

We've heard nothing official either way, but the early rumors said it would have the same type of mod support the PS4 has. So basically no new assets.

This isn't a 360 game, it's a PS4/XB1 game.

That's pretty damn sad.

Right, anything not praising the Nintengods is a shitpost. I almost forgot where I am.

You did forget where you are; GAF is predominantly pro-Sony if a side has to be picked. 😒

On topic, this looks great but it depends on how modded it can be. Otherwise I'll stick with PC even though portability is cool.

So is it confirmed to have some or all of the graphical improvements of the PS4/XB1 remaster? I would be very happy if it does.

Yeah, that's what I'm curious about too. Is this a port of the original game, or the Special Edition?

It hasn't been officially confirmed either way since it's actually the Switch edition, but the footage in the OP and throughout this and the other thread clearly show it's at least based on the Special Edition.

LordKano

So is it confirmed to have some or all of the graphical improvements of the PS4/XB1 remaster? I would be very happy if it does.

Yeah, that's what I'm curious about too. Is this a port of the original game, or the Special Edition?

It has enhancements from the Special Edition. We can't say from the footage we have if it has every one of them, but we've seen improved textures/foliages/grasses/lighting over the OG version.

killroy87

It hasn't been officially confirmed either way since it's actually the Switch edition, but the footage in the OP and throughout this and the other thread clearly show it's at least based on the Special Edition.

It has enhancements from the Special Edition. We can't say from the footage we have if it has every one of them, but we've seen improved textures/foliages/grasses/lighting over the OG version.

Great news! I know we won't get all the enhancements from the PS4 version, but even just the expanded lighting will be great.

VanWinkle

Great news! I know we won't get all the enhancements from the PS4 version, but even just the expanded lighting will be great.

Yeah, all I want is the new lighting and I'd be happy. I haven't seen any indicator that it has the new lighting, but I've not see ENOUGH of the original and the Special Edition to know for 100% sure.

Looks smooth.

Damn shame Bethesda didn't just make a new ES game for the Switch though.

Hopefully, this makes some cash for them and they do exactly that.

Yeah, all I want is the new lighting and I'd be happy. I haven't seen any indicator that it has the new lighting, but I've not see ENOUGH of the original and the Special Edition to know for 100% sure.

Look at these two comparisons from the other thread:

Okey I am like 90% sure this is based on the special edition

https://youtu.be/24kbanxCjPI?t=3m9s

https://youtu.be/3Zk1KJtG3dM?t=36s

Compare those 2 videos as the person enters riverrun. You will notice that in the special edition comparison with the original there is some foliage on the right on that house which didn't exist on the original. As the switch video shows the foliage exists in the switch video. So either it is a straight special edition version or it shares some assets at least. I put the videos at the exact moments you need to compare.

For a comparison with 360 version, take a look at your character entering in Riverwood:

Switch:

https://youtu.be/24kbanxCjPI?t=181

360:

https://youtu.be/2Xl_5H7dJeA?t=235

Pretty big difference. People who think Switch undocked is little more than a PS3 are in for a big surprise, unless the framerate is a disaster. Hard to be worse than it was on PS3, though.

The lighting is almost certainly based on the Special Edition, as is the enhanced foliage.

EDIT: Yeesh actually I never played it on 360 or PS3, I had it on PC from day one, and the lighting in the 360 version linked above looks way worse than what I remember. The Switch version's lighting is definitely based on the Special Edition when you compare it to that 360 video.

Scrawnton

TBF, Bethesda ain't made a new ES since Online for anyone.
I don't even think Bethesda developed ESO.

By that I mean the team that did Skyrim and Fallout 4. I know it's published by Bethesda but the Elder Scrolls team, the one we think of when thinking "Bethesda" didn't make it.

rudger

I can't wrap my head around posts that have questioned whether this is based on the original or the enhanced version (not referring to those asking which features from enhanced are included). Why would a company work to make a more optimized version of their game to run on newer hardware, then decide, when given better, newer hardware, "fuck it! Let's just use the old code, cause Nintendo". I'm honestly not sure people realize how absurd that sounds.

Also, maybe I missed it, but is there any confirmation on touch based menus when in handheld?

Plum

Also, maybe I missed it, but is there any confirmation on touch based menus when in handheld?

Considering Nintendo themselves have only done touch menus for Mario Kart 8 (which already supported touch on Wii U), I seriously doubt it. Would be great though, the disuse of the Switch's touch capabilities is a real shame for a lot of games.

Plum

I know the quality is shit... Here is a small comp.

Switch looks like an N64 game smfh. Come on, Nintendo.

Nah but seriously that's definitely the special edition. I'm expecting the special edition with a few graphical tweaks downwards; so what you'd find on PC if you were to set it on a mixture of medium and low.

Absolutely this 1000x. Nvidia hardware is grossly beyond AMD. AMD's Vega needs 2 8pin connectors? AMD needed 14nm to match Nvidia's 28nm Maxwell architecture in performance per watt?

It's going to be very interesting to see the next version of the Switch hardware, and where they go, I mean if they use 7nm hardware, it is going to be much closer to the next AMD consoles than people expect.

Man, don't do this to yourself. Even if there is an NVIDIA 7nm mobile solution that is close to what ever the most likely 10TF+ next gen consoles have Nintendo can't afford to put it in a tablet. Hell, they could have used Tegra X2 with the switch, but NVIDIA gave them a sweetheart deal on the X1.

Stimpack

I played through Skyrim once and felt like that was more than enough. I don't know how they're still releasing it throughout the years.

PetrCobra

Okay after these impressions I'm hyped. I don't think I have the game in my Steam library but now I don't even care - I'm getting this version.

J@hranimo

Banned
I played through Skyrim once and felt like that was more than enough. I don't know how they're still releasing it throughout the years.

Same way people are still buying GTAV in a sense. There are still many, many gamers (like myself) who have not played the game. They just brought it to current gen platforms a year ago iirc and since the Switch is a new capable Nintendo system that's another demographic of Nintendo gamers they can tap into.

This is the most I've seen of this game and I'm honestly more curious than ever before. I may actually get it!

I've been playing it regularly since 11/11/11 starting with the 360, then on PC and now PS4. Excited for the Switch version. I'm big on atmosphere in games and ES games bring it. I'm always considering playing Oblivion again, too.

Leatherface

Am I the only one who thinks this game should have Splatoon style motion controls? To be fair I want it in all games as at least an option now.

Depends, this is using the updated visuals from last year right? also they might want a bigger draw distance and other things that eat into performance including the effort spent into making the game run well on the tegra, this could be a simple or tricky port.

Top Bottom