• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryutaro Nakamura, director of Serial Experiments Lain, passes away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...ts-lain-director-ryutaro-nakamura-passes-away

The official Twitter feed for the Chibi Neko Tom no Dai Bōken anime announced on Thursday that anime director and storyboard artist Ryutaro Nakamura (Serial Experiments Lain, Kino's Journey) had passed away on June 29 at 4 p.m. after months of being hospitalized while fighting pancreatic cancer. The announcement was made after permission was given by his family. He was 58 years old at the time of his death.

RIP :(

EVOL 100%

What?! Oh god, fuck. I knew his health was bad when Despera was put on hold, but I didn't know he had fucking cancer.

RIP. Serial Experiments Lain is one of the only anime that I still watch time to time to this day. It opened me up to so many different things. This is terrible.

Pancreatic cancer again? Ugh, this is devastating news... Lain will always be my favorite anime, it's so beautifully ethereal, way ahead of its time. Join the wired, good sir.

Sorry, that was lame. I just don't really know what to say.

rampage-jackson-vs-door-o.gif

duckroll

He seems to have been pretty ill for awhile now, which prevented his next series from going into production. It's really unfortunate he didn't pull through, but at least he's no longer suffering. I'm not a huge fan of his works, but he definitely had a very unique eye as a director. I wonder if he was a photographer as well, considering how his works always seem to capture the environment and the state of characters in that environment more so than actual drama. Whenever I see overhead power lines I'll always think of him.

RIP.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
RIP. I liked Lain, despite fact that the show confused me more than any other anime to date.

Foffy

Banned
RIP. I hope he didn't spend most of his final moments in pain, and that there is respite knowing he is no longer in suffering.

Shit, I didn't see this coming (any news-bits beforehand stating he was suffering?). His work on Lain, Kino, and many other works (Guskou Budori) remains as unique as ever in the anime industry, and he's passed away pretty young for a Japanese artist. RIP.

Liha

Banned
I met during my community service many people with pancreatic cancer, one of the worst cancer types. R.I.P.

Iph

Banned
Wow, I had no idea he was sick. I don't keep up with news too much. Rest in peace. Another Big Lain fan here. Really influential anime of my pre-teen and teen years. Le sigh. :'(

TuXx

Well, I'm in a sour mood now. Serial Experiment Lain is truly a work of art.

Hopefully they'll find a cure for cancer in our lifetime.

RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom