• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Admits To Botching Battlefield 4 PS4/XB1 Video Capture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Into

Well if you agree that facts matter please link me to the official statement for 'Digital Foundry Admits To Botching Battlefield 4 PS4/XB1 Video Capture' and not the comments from dark10x

Just because its not official, does not make it untrue. That was the reason i gave you the Bill Clinton example in the first place.

Yes, interesting indeed how the first DF face-off for next-gen made the XB version look better and downplayed some differences.

Maybe I'm too naive, but I honestly don't think they did it on purpose, they pretty much destroy the Xbone in the text. That's the problem with these publisher events, so I guess we'll have to wait till launch for proper comparisons.

Mitark

They specifically stated that it was a 'Preview' comparison and not final. It's in the title.

They will be revisiting the games later once they have their own in-house consoles. And, even with the mistake, the comparison is still pretty accurate. Things like the resolution, lack of HBAO etc. were all points they mentioned. And yes, the Xbone version does look surprisingly good for upscaled 720. The upscaler is clearly better than what we had last generation which is a good thing. The PS4 version still came out significantly on top and people agree that the blur does the game a disservice. I don't see the issue with any of their conclusions.

Do people just decide to hate on anything that doesn't 100% back up their preconceptions? The DF f*cked up. ONCE. And it was a totally honest mistake. Their equipment let them do Framerate analysis at the least which other guys could not.

There's no agenda here, no money changing hands, just a simple mistake. I imagine they'll be updating the article with this information at the top before long.

even for preview they should have standards, I'm talking about the video of course,i didn't even comment in the original thread, it's not hate, I'm just pointing that they need to delete these video and start over as they should, if it's honest mistake or on purpose i don't care no one will ever know the true intentions of any person but what they do and say that define them.

No sir it's not. Not even close. It uses USB2.0 and encodes the signal at a laughable 30Mbps bitrate, even Avermedia LGP is miles better.

For YouTube recording purposes, there's virtually no difference in quality from what I've seen. Both use USB 2.0, but the LGP has the edge with a 60Mbps bitrate. I like the software for Elgato better, though.

Anyway, carry on.

mocoworm

Official or not, it is obvious that something is not right in the DF footage. Looks very different than all the other vids.

Just because its not official, does not make it untrue. That was the reason i gave you the Bill Clinton example in the first place.

I agree. It's true, I just have a problem with the thread title.

This guy may feel pressure from his employers now for making an 'official' statement on their behalf which has spread across the net when he even said it wasn't.

Vitor711

If he didn't write the article that's only even less reason to say anything.

I think the article's fine, but the media content needs revised.

Agreed 100%.

And they will update it - Eurogamer has never not admitted when something goes wrong and DF is part of their network. But, again, it's been a few hours since it went live. I think they deserve a full day before people start asking for their head.

Also, as mentioned before, it is titled 'preview' comparison because they likely foresaw issues with the capture footage happening (and the possibility of day one patches such as the inclusion of AO into the Xone mentioned on twitter). There will definitely be a new article but whether or not that's tomorrow or once the consoles launch is up in the air.

But, like I said, I see no reason why they wouldn't (or shouldn't) update the opening line of their article to explain the situation.

Caayn

The huge sin are the screenshots and video footage that people are using to claim the boner version is superior. Other review sites have had completely opposite results.
original-11.gif

Into

I agree. It's true, I just have a problem with the thread title.

This guy may feel pressure from his employers now for making an 'official' statement on their behalf which has spread across the net when he even said it wasn't.

Adam Orth?

GAF is not just a message board for OFFICIAL STATEMENTS and PR pieces, in fact id argue the forums greatness is cutting through all that garbage and getting to the core and most important information.

XBOX ONE IS USING LIMITED RGB
XBox One DF Original Screen
H2f7BrY.png

RGB Levels "Limited" - No sharpen added
8ebTRDK.png

RGB Levels "Limited" - Sharpen Added
MX2DEGk.png

Crushing the levels to Limited RGB and "Sharpen More" (one time) for the PS4 picture replicates the XO results.

The sharpening filter must be something on the xbox version, the RGB Levels is 100% DF's fault.

Tulerian

They had multiple days there, capturing footage which they would have checked was valid over and over again to ensure they had footage for their articles. Indeed I can't think of anyone who would not have checked the initial footage to ensure the equipment was working at all, especially when working with a brand new device.

I can't fathom how it's remotely possible they did not know what was happening here, right from the start. In my opinion this was an attempt to make the XBO footage appear better than it actually is in comparison, and hope as many people as possible would just accept it as is. The article just seems to grudgingly admit some aspects of the PS4 version are a little bit better, but in no way offers a fair comparison we are seeing from other sites.

On top of this they then wrote an article using all this garbage footage, and instead of ensuring that they informed all readers in the very first paragraph that it was all messed up and they would be re-doing it fairly as soon as possible they went with what they had and created the side by side comparisons? Instead there was a brief mention that there might have an little issue with 'something', but don't worry nothing important. Oh please...

Luckily they got called out on this quickly, but it's nothing new for them, and strangely every time they screw up like this it always makes the Microsoft console look better in comparison to competition? There is also a history of not admitting to mistakes when they have clearly messed up. (deliberately of not)

I'm not getting either console as I can't afford one till next year, but it makes me sad that so many other people(not fans who will always buy only one brand) are going in to this not having enough real information about these consoles to make an informed choice.

This only matters if they made the PS4 version look worse than it really is. If people think the XBO version looks good because of the settings, well great for them! They can fiddle around with their TV and achieve the same effect. There's no way that DF could make it objectively better, ie achieve a higher frame rate or upgrade the textures. The question therefore is whether the PS4 version will look better than it does in those videos, assuming we have our TVs set up correctly.

Paracelsus

Maybe I'm too naive, but I honestly don't think they did it on purpose, they pretty much destroy the Xbone in the text. That's the problem with these publisher events, so I guess we'll have to wait till launch for proper comparisons.

Average Joe reads article, expects a slaughter. Average Joe then looks at the video, sees nothing of the sort.

"Well, maybe we made a bigger deal out the hardware gap than it actually was, it doesn't matter which platform I go with".

Derrick01

Banned
They have admited that because it was obvious, not because they wanted to do it...

I dunno reading that thread last night and seeing how many people were easily fooled and thought the xbox version actually looked better made me think it wasn't as obvious as I thought it was.

The whole thing was really fishy. I just think it's kinda funny how DF always has "problems" with the playstation version of a game.

Floex

But it's not acceptable, no? Why put out a corrupted video when they know full well it was incorrect. Regardless of how long they had to make the video, their whole model is to compare footage equally.

They make a mistake. They admit it. I can appreciate that. I hope they will update the article once they have free access to the game.

Shahed

So having read the first page, it seems that

- Digital Foundry is biased against the Xbox One
- Digital Foundry is biased against the PS4
- Those who think Digital Foundry was right/wrong about ______ are irrational fanboys for _______.

You can replace Digital Foundry with any other place and get pretty much the same result.

Alternatively, never attribute to bias which can attributed to incompetence.

Guerilla

So having read the first page, it seems that

- Digital Foundry is biased against the Xbox One
- Digital Foundry is biased against the PS4
- Those who think Digital Foundry was right/wrong about ______ are irrational fanboys for _______.

Noone said that. Please don't try to make the situation appear as equally damaging for both consoles because that's a lie.

Average Joe reads article, expects a slaughter. Average Joe then looks at the video, sees nothing of the sort.

"Well, maybe we made a bigger deal out the hardware gap than it actually was, it doesn't matter which platform I go with".

"Well, I'm not the audience that's interested in purchasing a $400-$500 expensive console with such a limited library. Especially since I have a capable ps3/360 that already plays this game. I'll probably exercise common sense an realize there is an audience out there that buys expensive launch consoles and might be more sensitive to this kind of stuff".

That's great.

I'm just wondering how the fuck did people come to the conclusion that Digital Foundry purposely botched up the video capture to make it look like the Xbox One version is better, when the article about the comparison clearly says that the best console version is undeniably the Playstation 4's.

Then I realise we live in a world where some are convinced that there are the Illuminati controlling governments like puppet on strings.

You guys are fucking nuts.

My first belly laugh of the day, you're beyond clueless.

USC-fan

Banned
Large 1GB+ patch for bf4. Should see some big changes to both version. Wonder how big a dip in fps the xbone version will have when they add in AO.

Looking forward to the retail compare.

Bedlam

*sigh* Their capture equipment isn't awful. It's just the first time they used it with next-gen consoles and they couldn't test it thoroughly as they were at a time-limited event.

Go through their comparison history - nearly all of their vids (which they tend to upload at a pretty damned high bit-rate and have available for download for better quality) are fantastic. And their Framerate comparison stuff is second to none. Their equipment is great and this oversight is completely understandable.

Should they update the article to reflect the issues? Yes of course but it's also been less than a day since it went online... Maybe give them some time GAF? Or are witchhunts best served warm?
I'd say we all listen to this man's voice of reason and stop the conspiracy theories and witchhunts for now until we know more. The equipment explanation sounds reasonable to me.

We can always continue with the witchhunts if the problem occurs repeatedly in the future.

Pain

Banned
The conspiracy theorist in me says they messed up on purpose to delay proper comparisons as long as possible.

Then again, I just woke up so there's that.
Time for your meds.
JK
It could just have been a huge mistake. At least they admitted to it.

anthonyOA

It wasn't enough to have a glowing article on PS4's superiority. The "fans" had to prod them into an apology. Christ they did they best they could under the circumstances. We don't need DF to know the PS4 version will look better on a 1080p tv than the X1 version.

Do we?

It all seems like blood-thirst to bury the X1, but as we can see it's not THAT far behind it's contemporary.

Behind? Yes.

But I feel certain fans were looking for definitive images to bury X1, and I doubt it'll happen any time soon.

Reading the article you can see which version is the most proficient anyway. Not sure why it needs multiple threads.

CTLance

Obligatory threadwhining. This is a GAF thread wrapped in an incomplete "news article" wrapped in a GAF thread. Waiting for another blog or website to quote this one for added Xzibit memeability.

Also: Poor dark10x.

Also also: You had one job, DF. For a corporation specializing in video capture and analysis they sure botched this up beyond belief. Tinfoilhattery or no, this is really bad for their reputation.

I don't think there is some great conspiracy, but I do think they should pull their video and picture comparisons until they get a chance to capture video again, which may be a few weeks away. Their comparisons aren't even close to what the rest of the media has.

kpaadet

*sigh* Their capture equipment isn't awful. It's just the first time they used it with next-gen consoles and they couldn't test it thoroughly as they were at a time-limited event.

Go through their comparison history - nearly all of their vids (which they tend to upload at a pretty damned high bit-rate and have available for download for better quality) are fantastic. And their Framerate comparison stuff is second to none. Their equipment is great and this oversight is completely understandable.

Should they update the article to reflect the issues? Yes of course but it's also been less than a day since it went online... Maybe give them some time GAF? Or are witchhunts best served warm?

You don't have to expain what DF is, I know. I admit I was being hyberbolic about their capture equipment, but DF had one SINGLE job to do at that review event: capture gameplay footage, and they fucked it up, they were not there to review the game. They make money off capture gear yet was not prepared for next gen, I'm sorry but its embarrassing.

Pain

Banned
This only matters if they made the PS4 version look worse than it really is. If people think the XBO version looks good because of the settings, well great for them! They can fiddle around with their TV and achieve the same effect. There's no way that DF could make it objectively better, ie achieve a higher frame rate or upgrade the textures. The question therefore is whether the PS4 version will look better than it does in those videos, assuming we have our TVs set up correctly.
Textures are about the sane. Player camos and ground textures are randomized so that nay lead some to believe they are better.

Dead Man

It wasn't enough to have a glowing article on PS4's superiority. The "fans" had to prod them into an apology. Christ they did they best they could under the circumstances. We don't need DF to know the PS4 version will look better on a 1080p tv than the X1 version.

Do we?

It all seems like blood-thirst to bury the X1, but as we can see it's not THAT far behind it's contemporary.

Behind? Yes.

But I feel certain fans were looking for definitive images to bury X1, and I doubt it'll happen any time soon.

Reading the article you can see which version is the most proficient anyway. Not sure why it needs multiple threads.

You seem to be missing the point that no apology should have been necessary since they should have written in the original article that the screens were not accurate.

Honey Bunny

They honestly did a disservice to both versions. Crushed blacks on XB1 and blurriness on PS4. I'd like to see them switch out their videos with ones taken with official settings/equipment, and hope they figure out their own shit in time for the next face-off.

My first belly laugh of the day, you're beyond clueless.

And you're beyond hopeless, try reading the article.

All in all, we can only give a preliminary outline of how Battlefield 4 will run on next-gen consoles, but there's plenty here that should remain the case for the final release in November. Perhaps the biggest takeaway is that, in this near-finalised state, the PS4 offers a superior experience on several fronts. The resolution is higher at 1600x900, as compared to the tried and tested 1280x720 on Xbox One, suffering as it does for more visible aliasing artefacts. Visually, the PS4 has a marked advantage with ambient occlusion effects too, which simply isn't matched on Microsoft's platform with the build we played.

And the entire thread makes it look like they hid that there could have been anything wrong with their capturing, when they specifically note that there probably WAS something wrong:

This leads us to a second issue that affects both console releases: gamma levels. We went into the review event having never hooked up our equipment to either next-gen platform before, and our tests with BF4 gave some curious results we want to revisit with the final game on retail hardware. Similar to the Xbox 360, Microsoft's new platform seems to enforce a colour push towards the lower end, leaving us with more saturated colours and deeper blacks. It's just cause to head towards Battlefield 4's brightness settings, but in the interest of a fair test we kept this at the default 30 per cent for all platforms.

Curiously, the top end is also affected, causing the image to appear distinctly washed out, as if set to limited range. This is particularly evident on PS4, which is kept free of a comparable black push to Microsoft's platform to compensate. Right now there's every possibility that it could be a capture situation, but it is worth noting that we saw no such issue on our PC captures and after returning to base, the same equipment produced a perfectly balanced picture on our PlayStation 3.

edit:

You seem to be missing the point that no apology should have been necessary since they should have written in the original article that the screens were not accurate.

smh

Josh7289

The only thing this effects is the colors.

The higher resolution, higher framerate, and better effects are all still present on the PS4 version. This means the jaggies and lower framerate are still present on the XB1 version.

This news actually helps the PS4 version if it means the colors will be less washed out on an actual TV.

Mitark

I dunno reading that thread last night and seeing how many people were easily fooled and thought the xbox version actually looked better made me think it wasn't as obvious as I thought it was.

The whole thing was really fishy. I just think it's kinda funny how DF always has "problems" with the playstation version of a game.

i don't know but the whole situation is bad for them, it's not like they are new site or something, the comparison is awful, i expected professional work from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom