• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

Ran rp

Got my hdmi-dvi cable from amazon but I still can't set the resolution any higher than 480p. Everything's still grayed out :/

DPtheGod

Hey fellow PS4 owners!

My PS4 does not show the sub tabs on my UI anymore. So, when I go to "What's New", it doesn't load anything. On games, it doesn't let me load the menus for those anymore (like where it says Overview, Recent Activity, and Related Items). Do you guys know if this can actually be turned off or is it something that is just dead now?

Thanks guys!

No audio or video issues otherwise. I am using hdmi on a 42" tv.

Vandiger

Wow, thanks for mentioning that. I need to remember to do that before I return my PS4 tomorrow!

Wait, how did you get a replacement from Amazon? They told me they could only refund my money...

I had to buy one of the available bundles launch day then negotiate/ask Amazon CS to use that purchase as a replacement. Not gonna wait over 2 weeks for a replacement from Sony.

How about this one:
I've encountered several instances of the audio just cutting out completely.
The fix? Turn the TV off, then turn it back on. Dafuq? Never ever encountered this issue with my PS3 (which was the device occupying the same HDMI port previously). Only changes to my "setup" are the PS4 and/or the HDMI cable that came along with it.

prophecy0

Hey fellow PS4 owners!

My PS4 does not show the sub tabs on my UI anymore. So, when I go to "What's New", it doesn't load anything. On games, it doesn't let me load the menus for those anymore (like where it says Overview, Recent Activity, and Related Items). Do you guys know if this can actually be turned off or is it something that is just dead now?

Thanks guys!

Besides my BLOD issues, I've had this happen as well. It usually occurs after I try to share something abd the sharing "app" shits out on me. After that, the entire top portion of the XMB stops working. A reboot of the system fixes it, but then I have to deal with the BLOD.

I think I'm going to try and find a PS4 locally tomorrow and then ask Amazon for a refund on my launch day console.

I tried to play Assassin's Creed and it wouldn't load. Then I tried to play Killzone and it wouldn't load, but the application started and then wouldn't shut down.

Then I tried to just shut down the system but now it won't even shut down I assume because Killzone application isn't closing

What the fuck do I do as I'm looking at a black screen with just a swirling circle in the middle and a system that is simply not shutting down?

Well I was able to get the system to shut down by holding the power button long enough. Turned it back on (went through some safemode check process) without any internet connection and Assassin's Creed still won't even start up. I click on it, it goes into that first quick screen and instantly boots back to the UI

I'm afraid to try Killzone again because it seems that the Killzone application actually starts up but then doesn't close, so I'm afraid I'll have the same problem when I try to shut the system down.

Anyone have any suggestions at all? I mean the system was working fine yesterday and now I just can't get a game to boot up...

ckohler

Hey fellow PS4 owners!

My PS4 does not show the sub tabs on my UI anymore. So, when I go to "What's New", it doesn't load anything. On games, it doesn't let me load the menus for those anymore (like where it says Overview, Recent Activity, and Related Items).
Sony has temporarily disabled some of the social/online media features of PSN. That's why.

MazeHaze

Banned
I had something really weird happen yesterday. I was getting ready to bring the ps4 to a friends house, so I powered off the console from the menu, waited for the LED strip to go off and the console to be completely powered down. I then unplugged the power cord and the HDMI from the back of the system, and picked it up to put it in my bag. As I was putting it in the bag, my finger hit the power button, and the console beeped and me twice and the LED strip lit up blue for a second.

Is my console haunted? Any explanation for this?

LtOrange

Hey fellow PS4 owners!

Thanks guys!

I am having the same problems and can't find any info on it. I also get a CE-35230-3 error whenever I try to broadcast.

turtle553

I had something really weird happen yesterday. I was getting ready to bring the ps4 to a friends house, so I powered off the console from the menu, waited for the LED strip to go off and the console to be completely powered down. I then unplugged the power cord and the HDMI from the back of the system, and picked it up to put it in my bag. As I was putting it in the bag, my finger hit the power button, and the console beeped and me twice and the LED strip lit up blue for a second.

Is my console haunted? Any explanation for this?

Sounds like the capacitors still had a little juice left. Common in electronics. Like fully discharging laptop by yanking battery and power cable and pushing power. Makes sure it is totally off.

So does anyone else have the problem where their games refuse to boot up? I'm just losing my patience now. I have no idea if there is some kind of problem with my system or what, but everything seemed to be working fine until today and now just nothing is loading. The main UI all seems fine, I hear the discs start to spin as I try to load up games, but they either just hang or they kick me back out to the UI

gazele

Banned
since you've used two as well, were the noise levels similar when playing disc games? Presuming your pulsing one could actually play games first :(

The first one wouldn't play games at all, though it would take and eject discs, the new one is pretty quiet, although I'm downloading an update at the moment, haven't played a game yet

Gonna post this since it may be a good "preventative" process. It certainly shouldn't hurt peoples' systems...

I got my PS4 yesterday from Amazon. I didn't manhandle it or anything when unboxing it. I didn't toss things together to hook it up superfast to my TV and receiver. I did things slow, methodical and made certain to plug things in gently as I would with ANY other new piece of equipment. In so many of the videos and streams I see people manhandling and utterly forcing things into place and it drove me nuts. #1 thing to remember when setting up a new system, computer, anything: Treat it like it's expensive equipment and not a fucking baby toy.

Whatever you do, do NOT EVER move the system when it has any power to it whatsoever. When hard drives are spinning it's very easy to damage a platter in the drive if you "shock" it in any way. This goes for laptops and computers as well. Laptop drives are built to be a little more stable with this but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Now, here's the steps I did just to experience things and understand how the update process works. My plan here was to format the PS4 hard drive and do a full OS reinstall in case the hard drives had been mass imaged and weren't really set up per system.

1) Examined the HDMI port to see if there was anything off or any obstructions in it. It was perfectly fine.

2) Hooked the PS4 up to my audio receiver with my own HDMI cable that was attached to my PS3 previously (cheapie 12 foot $4.00 cable from Fry's Electronics I bought years ago)

3) Plugged in my controller using the USB cable that shipped with the PS4. I plugged it into the LEFT USB port, although it doesn't really matter which port you plug it into.

4) Did NOT hook up my ethernet cable. I didn't want it connecting anywhere or doing anything until I was certain I had a "clean" system that I had set up myself.

5) First time bootup -> Powered it on just by lightly touching the capacitive power button on the front of the system. There is no need to apply any pressure at all so don't try forcing it to move. It doesn't move. I listened for appropriate noises (Bluray Drive doing a head seek, hard drive spinning up, fans working - felt for warm air flowing) and let the system boot up.

6) System booted up fine and went into the PS4 OS Setup. I skipped everything and did not customize anything or let it connect wirelessly anywhere. I just wanted to get INTO the OS. I think the only thing I did was adjust time and Time Zone.

7) Once in the OS I held the PlayStation button down on the DS4 and turned the system OFF (Did NOT put it into standby mode). It takes a little bit to shutdown completely but you'll know once all the lights are off on the system.

8) Time to update the firmware. I had already downloaded both the 1.50 firmware "Update" and the "Recovery" (859MB) files so I freshly formatted a cheap USB drive with FAT32 and set up the folders appropriately. X:\PS4\UPDATE\PSUPDATE.PUP <-- like that. I decided to do the Recovery method since it involves formatting the drive and I wanted that for sure.

9) I inserted my USB drive into the COMPLETELY OFF system and then I touched and held on the power button for over 7 seconds UNTIL IT BEEPED. Once it beeped I let go of the power button. The system went into Safe Mode.

PS4 Safe Mode: https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5044/~/ps4:-safe-mode

10) I chose option 6) Initialize PS4. My reasoning here is to wipe the HD while in Firmware 1.0 so I am absolutely certain it's clean before I attempt to update it. I then booted into the OS again and did minimal setup, skipping over account stuff and network setups until I got into the UI. I once again had the system turn completely off and not enter standby mode.

11) Once the system was completely shutdown I waited like about 10 seconds when all the lights were off and touch and held the power button again for 7 seconds until it beeped. It went into Safe Mode again and I chose Option 7) Initialize PS4 (Reinstall System Software). I then got the following error:

An error has occurred.
(CE-30776-3)

I didn't panic and calmly tried another USB drive. It was a Corsair USB drive (one of my most compatible flash drives for booting PCs and stuff) and it worked just fine. So REMEMBER: If you get that error above, just try a different USB drive that you know is brand-name. Mine was a Corsair.

12) I then went through the process with step 7 from Safe Mode and it worked this time. It spent time wiping/reformatting the hard drive and then it gave a new screw (higher resolution and with PS4 colors) and on that screen it said it was reinstalling the system software.

13) When it was done, I did the final setup on my PS4 and it has worked like an absolute champ with no system related issues at all. Any issues I've had have been due to PSN being hammered.

Now, this is not going to fix everyone's problems but it is a good way to test the system and set it up so that you KNOW you have done everything right from the beginning. I've got 30 years of experience working with computers and electronics and this is just a general process I feel should work well for folks who are just wanting to be sure they setup their PS4 in the most "stable" manner. I live this shit every day since it's my hobby and also what I do at work.

I did every single one of these things when I got my replacement PS4 yesterday and I haven't had trouble with it yet.

I've downloaded Resogun, Contrast, DCUO, Blacklight, and Warframe and didn't have any problems with a system freeze.

Enectic

Banned
Not sure what else to do. Sometimes my PS4 doesn't boot up (stuck at pulsating blue) and sometimes it does. Even when it's pulsating blue the input lights up on my TV so there's something going on there. When it doesn't boot up I have to press the power button for about 10 seconds to get it to shut off. It usually boots up fine after that. If I end up returning it then I'm holding off buying a PS4 for the next few months. I'm on firmware 1.5 and it's connected directly to my TV.

mintylurb

I think its just how its being shipped by Amazon and/or handled by UPS. This is really the first console launch where online pre-orders were ordered in these numbers. How many times have you gotten something shipped only to find it was damaged in transit, some damaged consoles were bound to happen.

My ps4 from sony store(shipped via fedex) wasn't even packed with any paddings/bubbles. I really think it's either ups mishandling them or manufacturing defect(most likely case).

Not sure what else to do. Sometimes my PS4 doesn't boot up (stuck at pulsating blue) and sometimes it does. Even when it's pulsating blue the input lights up on my TV so there's something going on there. When it doesn't boot up I have to press the power button for about 10 seconds to get it to shut off. It usually boots up fine after that. If I end up returning it then I'm holding off buying a PS4 for the next few months. I'm on firmware 1.5 and it's connected directly to my TV.

I have the same problem (though sometimes it's stuck on blue and sometimes stuck on orange). I am thinking of returning it...

~~Hasan~~

so, I was talking to one of the amazon CS because I wanted to get an update about my need for speed copy since its not shipped yet " canned it"

and I asked him about the warranty of the ps4. he said due to the recent problems. Sony extended the warranty for 2 years. and that if I have a problem with the system. I can go for a refund and I have till Jan 31.

I didn't know Sony warranty has been extended for 2 years.

I asked him if the numbers of dead units were high. he said yes but he didn't give me a figure " doesn't know it"

I am sure this is just one CS. but at least they are admitting that they are getting lots of units back.

Owzers

The first one wouldn't play games at all, though it would take and eject discs, the new one is pretty quiet, although I'm downloading an update at the moment, haven't played a game yet

please compare it to the previous gaf video if you can.

Also random question: is there a way to manually install games when you aren't playing them? If so, how.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
I asked him if the numbers of dead units were high. he said yes but he didn't give me a figure " doesn't know it"

I am sure this is just one CS. but at least they are admitting that they are getting lots of units back.

sure would be good to have some of that games journalism right now. the kotaku article seems almost entirely crimped from this thread.

In the settings, do you have it setup to automatically detect the resolution. Maybe manually try setting it to 1080p or 720p (whatever your TV is)?

I'll give this a shot and report back if the problem reoccurs. It's frustrating because the issue doesn't happen every time, and I'm afraid it could become progressively worse with age.

I don't even know if it is possible. I'm just saying that I'm not having that problem with my PS4 and that game so that's the next step I personally would take if it was my PS4 doing that just to see if the problem goes away.

So this actually ended up working! Thanks again I never would have thought to uninstall and reinstall the game. Plays smooth now :)

atomsk

Party Pooper
So far I haven't been able to cause my PS4 to exhibit any unusual behavior with the tests I ran today.
-play movie with just hdmi+power, shutdown, no issue
-play movie with hmdi+power+usb, shutdown, no issue
-play movie with hdmi+power+ethernet, shutdown, no issue

All that's left is to play a movie with everything plugged in and logged into PSN

On a side note, when you do a complete wipe and log back into PSN, going to "library" to re-download those games is broken (will shoot you back to main menu), I had to go back into the store and do it from there

delta25

Banned
Just had my first issue which involved Warframe locking my system up midway through an update, but I'm not worried at all being that this is 100% a software issue with Warframe and nothing to do with my system.

On a side note I'm pretty sure its normal considering whats underneath hood, but I'll ask anyways, is it normal for the system to generate a fair bit of heat?

Just had my first issue which involved Warframe locking my system up midway through an update, but I'm not worried at all being that this is 100% a software issue with Warframe and nothing to do with my system.

On a side note I'm pretty sure its normal consigning what underneath hood, but I'll ask anyways, is it normal for the system to generate a fair bit of heat?

Happened to a friend of mine, he just tried again and it worked fine.

CoG

Had numerous hard lockups today. First loading Netflix the first time then playing a video on Amazon Instant. I hear Sony may release a firmware update as early as tomorrow to address.

delta25

Banned
Had numerous hard lockups today. First loading Netflix the first time then playing a video on Amazon Instant. I hear Sony may release a firmware update as early as tomorrow to address.

I would think most lockups are in fact software related, in fact I'd wager the vast majority of issues thus far with the system are software related.

My system is coming tomorrow from Amazon. I'm going to record everything right from opening the box, to setup, etc...you know, for posterity sake.

I'm not going to do the 13 step process that was posted here. I should be able to plug it in, turn it on, and go. It is a console for crying out loud.

I am going to avoid netflix and other superfluous services outside of game related stuff. It seems a lot of people are having locks when using that stuff.

I'm really freaking out about this now after reading the issues here and over at the Sony forums. I have terribad luck with game systems breaking on me.

Throwing my name into the 'recorded gameplay isn't actually the last 15 minutes' ring.

Really bummed about this because I had some awesome moments I wanted to save. I hit the share button and the latest clip (the icon for it looked like a screenshot of where I currently was standing) was 15 minutes long, and was maybe 45 minutes old. The awesome kill streak I just performed seconds ago was nowhere in the clip because it apparently stopped recording a long time ago.

I tried it again maybe 30 minutes later and once again the footage was old. So frustrating.

okay I have to ask this, how do you get sound to go through your ps4 earbud headset, im not sure if the controller is picking up my voice or if the camera is picking up my voice..how do i get my voice to only come through the headset?

Sigma722

so, I was talking to one of the amazon CS because I wanted to get an update about my need for speed copy since its not shipped yet " canned it"

and I asked him about the warranty of the ps4. he said due to the recent problems. Sony extended the warranty for 2 years. and that if I have a problem with the system. I can go for a refund and I have till Jan 31.

I didn't know Sony warranty has been extended for 2 years.

That's interesting news. I think I'm going to just do my replacement through sony, so that Sony has a record of it. Also I'm hoping that eventually they do something in terms of an apology for those affected. maybe another year of psn+ or something. If I weren't going to be out of town for 2 weeks starting next saturday, I probably would have gone the amazon route.

Padinn

How do I determine my playstation 4 manufacture date?

Also - any idea where to register the system (only looks like PS3 registration is up)

RetroMG

I asked in the launch thread, but I'll ask here too. A friend of mine is not getting notifications for new trophies. The trophies are unlocking, and he says the notification is enabled, but no messages. Any ideas?

Is there any way to access a USB stick? Like see pictures/videos on it or transfer?

And anyone have any luck trying to get the PS3 Bluray remote or Official Blue-tooth headset to work?

turtle553

Top Bottom