• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#SaveShenmue - The Shenmue 3 campaign

Midou

Shenmue 1 & 2 are my favourite games of all time. I feel bad for people who can't get into it.

If you love something, set it free.

At least the post mortem will give me my much needed closure.

def sim

They're going to have to reboot the franchise if they want to reach a new audience. That's very unlikely.

let it go people

ysuS0.gif

MormaPope

Banned
Okay, okay, okay. To make this movement worthwhile at all, request "Shenmue the HD collection" or something of that nature over a full blown sequel. This movement shit used to be sad, now its starting to get aggravating.

Midou

No because it will flop again and bury the series even deeper down hell

As much as I've given up on seeing Shenmue 3, this logic is not quite right. If they were to throw it in the Yakuza engine or something, the biggest factor that made Shenmue a failure would be gone. You could make a modern day shenmue for a tiny fraction of what the originals cost.

Not that I'm saying Yakuza is the same, but I'm sure they could use the engine.

NateDrake

I love Shenmue as much as the next person, but the series is long gone. They would need to revamp everything and should just restart the story at this point. Reboot Shenmue and give it a chance to shine in this new generation.

kinggroin

Banned
Do enough gamers now a days even know what a shenmue is to even make this worth the effort?

Edit: I'm an idiot. And I usually call others out for this same bullshit.

Bio-Frost

I love Shenmue as much as the next person, but the series is long gone. They would need to revamp everything and should just restart the story at this point. Reboot Shenmue and give it a chance to shine in this new generation.

They really don't. All that would be needed is a HD collection with some tweaks. Better camera, full analog movement and re-do the voice acting. That's it, the min to min gameplay doesn't need revamped. It still holds up.

Spaghetti

the sign off at the end was the most on-point parody of a british newscaster i have ever seen

as for the campaign, i've been supporting it one hundred percent since it started, shenmue doesn't deserve to linger in an ip library for the rest of all time

let the haters come. the shenmue fanbase has unparalleled resolve.

Dude, Lan Di needs to pay for what he's done. It's bad enough he hasn't be brought to justice in 12 years. Shenmue 3 must be saved.

Gonna tweet Sega to #SaveShenmue on 3rd of every month now.

I saw Yu Suzuki walking the E3 show floor a couple of years ago and told him how much I loved Shenmue and was hoping Shenmue 3 would get made one day. He simply smiled and nodded and walked off. True story.

Cabal

The video was actually pretty clever. I think everyone knows that a sequel at this point is unlikely but you never know. At this point I would just like a rerelease of the originals in HD on PSN or XBLA. I played through both of them, but I can't really remember all that much about them now.

Midou

I saw Yu Suzuki walking the E3 show floor a couple of years ago and told him how much I loved Shenmue and was hoping Shenmue 3 would get made one day. He simply smiled and nodded and walked off. True story.

Something like this I imagine.

Ok serious question,

If by the off-chance they are in the DEV room right now working on 3, what do you think they do?

A) Continue the series as intended years ago, with multiple chapters (6 I recall), not have a definitive ending and wait to see how the market reacts

or

B) Create an epic finale whereby Ryo gets his final revenge in pure video game glory, balls to the wall going for GOTY, GOTC status?

I wish they would just release a video going over all the events after the game. I'm assuming he kills Lan Di, so in my mind, we've already won!

Spaghetti

did he have a translator/were you speaking japanese?

it's entirely possible he had literally no idea what you were saying outside of 'shenmue' and '3'

Bio-Frost

You guys keep forgetting that everyone Ryo meet's esp in Shenmue 2 keep telling him Revenge is not the way. I dont doubt there will be a fight between him and Lan DI but I dont think he will kill him.

Top Bottom