• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sadness (Wii) is dead, amateur devs who claimed they were making a sequel aren't #210

L~A

Edit :

The Sadness IP is in the hands of a consortium with 4 studios currently fighting for the bid, and that while we at HullBreach and Cthulhi would like to make a competing bid and secure rights to Sadness, unfortunately we cannot at this time. Sorry to fans for any inconvenience.

Source

Video from 2006 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tJ7-LGVbMsA

There's an interview over at NintendoLife.

Now, however it is coming back. We can exclusively reveal that independent developers HullBreach Studios — working on HullBreach: Uncloaked for the Wii U eShop — and Cthulhi Games — developing Ex Oblivione for Wii U — are teaming up to collaborate on Sadness as a Wii U exclusive. The project will be discussed and details revealed as 2014 progresses, and it's targeting a 2016 release.

More details coming this year. Launching in 2016. Apparently, game is 2D now.

Hiltz

That's the same concept trailer for Wii. Where's the evidence that's is allegedly coming to Wii U (not that I believe it at all).This is probably one of those vaporware projects that sounds better on paper than anything else.

maxcriden

Unreal. Hopefully it really happens and turns out well.\

That's the same concept trailer for Wii. Where's the evidence that's is allegedly coming to Wii U (not that I believe it at all).

It's in the linked interview.

ETA:

Will any of the original source code be included, or is it ground-up development?

Randy Freer: The original Sadness was running on Gamebryo from Gamebase USA, which actually was one of the first companies to pledge support for Wii U with their own engine this gen. However, this new title will most likely make use of the Unity engine.

Jeremy Kleve: Since this is our own realization of the game, it would not feel right if we did not start from scratch. Besides, we are introducing new elements that were never intended in the original brief, including RPG and puzzle-based mechanics.

Randy Freer: Not to mention the shift to 2D.

Jeremy Kleve: Yup, that's the plan thus far.

It's 2D now.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Haha. Targeting release in 2016. They better hope Nintendo hasn't released a successor to the Wii U by then.

Didn't someone reveal it was all a hoax? I remember some user on the Ign forums admitting it or something.

They showed off all the artwork and crap and explained how they had interviews with the Ign staff about it.

Some deep prank.

Tortimer

Never thought I'd hear about this game again. I was just thinking about it a few days ago. Wild to hear that it may actually come into existence.

HUELEN10

Wait. It got announced like 2005 right? Does that put it at around the same time it took Duke Nukem Forever to come out, should it come out in 2 years?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So to be clear, two no-name developers (at least one of whom identifies primarily as an IGN poster who made a "studio" with his brother) who are developing no-name games for Wii U that don't have any assets or release dates are teaming up to revive another no-name developer's no-name game that wasn't ever really made into a game, and are targeting a release that's quite possibly after the Wii U's lifespan as an exclusive because they have an emotional attachment to Nintendo... and they haven't actually gotten the project approved by Nintendo.

Yeah, this is embarrassing all around and it's especially embarrassing that NintendoLife's mandate actually tells them to cover anything, even stuff that's so patently nonsense.

Top Bottom