• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sadness (Wii) is dead, amateur devs who claimed they were making a sequel aren't #210

Yo man I heard it's gonna be rated AO, how fucked up is that?

Sadness always seemed like such a relic of the time before people really knew what the Wii was and what it was (or rather wasn't) capable of.

asxjwx2.gif

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
So to be clear, two no-name developers (at least one of whom identifies primarily as an IGN poster who made a "studio" with his brother) who are developing no-name games for Wii U that don't have any assets or release dates are teaming up to revive another no-name developer's no-name game that wasn't ever really made into a game, and are targeting a release that's quite possibly after the Wii U's lifespan as an exclusive because they have an emotional attachment to Nintendo... and they haven't actually gotten the project approved by Nintendo.

Yeah, this is embarrassing all around and it's especially embarrassing that NintendoLife's mandate actually tells them to cover anything, even stuff that's so patently nonsense.

So, exactly the same story as the last time Sadness was "in development".
Check.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Do not believe their lies! Nibris is full of crap. I was in contact with them back in the first year of the Wii to try and do some features on Sadness for IGN, and they just gave me the runaround for months. These guys are super shady and are obviously cashing in on Nintendo fans' enthusiasm for exclusive content. I will only believe this when I have the game on my Wii U, and even then it'll be iffy.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So to be clear, two no-name developers (at least one of whom identifies primarily as an IGN poster who made a "studio" with his brother) who are developing no-name games for Wii U that don't have any assets or release dates are teaming up to revive another no-name developer's no-name game that wasn't ever really made into a game, and are targeting a release that's quite possibly after the Wii U's lifespan as an exclusive because they have an emotional attachment to Nintendo... and they haven't actually gotten the project approved by Nintendo.

Yeah, this is embarrassing all around and it's especially embarrassing that NintendoLife's mandate actually tells them to cover anything, even stuff that's so patently nonsense.

Pretty much.

Maybe this will "save" the Wii-U?

:D

HUELEN10

Truth be told, I usually don't read NL, just sporadic stuff from here and there. So what I guess I'm trying to ask is, how credible are they?

balohna

Was this ever even a game? I remember it was the first Wii game ever "revealed", but it was just concept art and a vague premise.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Truth be told, I usually don't read NL, just sporadic stuff from here and there. So what I guess I'm trying to ask is, how credible are they?

The issue here isn't their credibility but rather their credulity. This is presented as an interview with a dev who claims to be reviving Sadness; I doubt anyone is going to claim that NintendoLife is inventing the interview or that the guy didn't really say what they claim he said. As such, their credibility here is not suspect. The question is why they believe the guy claiming this and why they've chosen to publish it. And that's where credulity comes in. Or if not credulity, then the shamelessness by which they expect something like this will draw hits even if they are skeptical of it.

RM8

Revived? This game was never alive. No more than some random Kickstarter project that shows zero gameplay at least.

CrazyDude

Man I remember how some people were debating whether or not those were actual graphic back in 2006. Also remember the people who defended the developer, saying the game does exist.

SS

ßig

Unconfirmed Member
No way it'll be anything like the original concept. Unless they get that artist who had his art stolen on board...

Hiltz

Memories...

Nintendo-Europe: Were there any signs that Nibris was anywhere close to entering actual development of Sadness?

Antolski: A couple of times, first when we made a deal with Frontline, and then a couple times later - but we had a lot of problems with deadlines. In my opinion: it was because there was no main designer, just three leading creative members of the team but no actual leader. There is a Polish proverb, "When there are six cooks, there is nothing to eat," and I think it sums everything up.

N-E: Did Nibris actually have official Wii development kits? Are they a licensed developer?

Antolski: Well, we certainly had Dolphin development kits, for the GameCube, and as far I know, a Wii development kit is just some kind of add-on for the Dolphin.

N-E: So Nibris are licensed GameCube developers?

Antolski: I'm certain we had Dolphin, I am not sure we had that add-on for the Wii though. I was told that we were going to be licensed by Nintendo, and we were supposed to get those kits, but they didn't tell me how the whole thing ended and when.

N-E: When did you start working at NIBRiS, and how long did you work there?

Antolski: I started at the very beginning, in 2006, and it lasted just over a year ... I had absolutely no experience: In fact, I wasn't even an adult yet.

So, at the very least, Hullbreach Studios is legit. They made Hullbreach and are working on Hullbreach Uncloacked which is definitely not vapor ware considering we get weekly updates on the projects showing what they've accomplished in the week prior.

LordOfChaos

I've never seen this game trailer before now. What is it supposed to be? A controllable movie, a la Quantum Break? Or was the video in the video more of a placeholder for an actual game? It does look to me like it was vaporware at announcement though.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, at the very least, Hullbreach Studios is legit. They made Hullbreach* and are working on Hullbreach Uncloacked which is definitely not vapor ware considering we get weekly updates on the projects showing what they've accomplished in the week prior.

* an unofficial, non-sanctioned browser-based game which I'm not confident that anyone here would describe as a professional or commercial level game project. Game's homepage

Top Bottom