• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sadness (Wii) is dead, amateur devs who claimed they were making a sequel aren't #210

So to be clear, two no-name developers (at least one of whom identifies primarily as an IGN poster who made a "studio" with his brother) who are developing no-name games for Wii U that don't have any assets or release dates are teaming up to revive another no-name developer's no-name game that wasn't ever really made into a game, and are targeting a release that's quite possibly after the Wii U's lifespan as an exclusive because they have an emotional attachment to Nintendo... and they haven't actually gotten the project approved by Nintendo.

Yeah, this is embarrassing all around and it's especially embarrassing that NintendoLife's mandate actually tells them to cover anything, even stuff that's so patently nonsense.
For some reason the "game" still has good buzz though. If someone with the means gets behind it, they would have a following much quicker than if they tried to launch a brand new IP. The headstart probably wouldn't be significant enough to matter though.

I wonder what the chick from the original trailer looks like now.

CamHostage

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced they got scammed/conned/owned big time. Which surprises me, their indie coverage is usually pretty good, which is why I actually bothered posting the story to begin with. I'll definitely take their stuff with several grains of salt from now. Their reputation certainly took a big hit yesterday, that's for sure.

Actually, from the response of HullBreach where it seems like these guys were apprised of the business behind Sadness, it sounds like NintendoLife had a solid lead from somebody actually in the know. The problem was, they didn't have two sources, and their source was perhaps old and out of the loop (maybe he was with one of their projects and bounced?) Maybe they were duped, but I'm not sure what'd be in it for HullBreach (Cthulhi doesn't strike me as a thing) to put itself on that firing line just for the controversy.

Why is there a bidding war for an IP that has never had a released game?

Yeah, this confuses me.

The IP has no clout, because the game never existed. There are no assets to buy or any technology to borrow.

Any studio that wants to "pick this up" can just make their own greyscale horror game from scratch, just like they'd have to do if they bought this IP, except they'd need to call it "Depression" or something. I'm still trying to figure out what it is that the studios want.

Alphahawk

So apparently these guys talked to Eurogamer and there's this gem

"We very recently have contacted the old developers to obtain rights to the what little IP actually existed and their blessing," Cthuli's Jeremy Kleve wrote. "Should they work against us we are prepared to change the title of the game and drop any usage of their IP, this however will not slow us down in the least since most of their ideas were just ideas."
Source

Which is pretty much what we've been saying all along, the only reason you would need the IP for at this point is to use the name. It boggles my mind that two no names would state that they own the IP, that in fact they don't, but it's then revealed that four other publishers actually are in a bidding war for it.

This is such a weird saga I can't even...

Raist

Banned
So apparently these guys talked to Eurogamer and there's this gem

Source

Which is pretty much what we've been saying all along, the only reason you would need the IP for at this point is to use the name. It boggles my mind that two no names would state that they own the IP, that in fact they don't, but it's then revealed that four other publishers actually are in a bidding war for it.

This is such a weird saga I can't even...

I don't even know why on earth you'd want to use a name that has been the source of many laughs at the beginning of last gen.
My best bet is that it's just a couple of people trolling for attention.

Ramenman

Good lord, just hearing about this "game" again made me laugh so much. What was it even about in the first place ? Umbrellas ?

But now this whole bullshit of reviving-but-not is even funnier ! Those guys really are living up to the "original".

Only four?!

I don't even get it. Why are they fighting for this. It's nothing :/

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Good lord, just hearing about this "game" again made me laugh so much. What was it even about in the first place ? Umbrellas ?

But now this whole bullshit of reviving-but-not is even funnier ! Those guys really are living up to the "original".

I don't even get it. Why are they fighting for this. It's nothing :/

This nothing got a 6 page thread on gaf. The hype is real!

@MUWANdo

Banned
Update update update!

Hullbreach is still pushing forward with this game, apparently. From an email they sent out today (allegedly, haven't seen it firsthand):

- Title changed to "Sadness & Solitude"
- Black and White visuals
- 2D, sidescrolling elements, first person elements, 3rd person elements, top down elements
- Wii U and XBone target platforms
- Development partnership between HullBreach and Cthulhi Games has changed to HullBreach and Sinn Development.
- Sinn Development is programming title
- Unity Engine
- 2016 Release
- 1950s setting
- Story involves character within a government facility undergoing human testing and experiments.
- Facility is called PANGEA
- The game has no dialogue between characters
- Story is unraveled through the scenery itself.
- Entire story, bosses, and flow of game has been completed. Area maps are near completion.

EDIT: and a message from the dev

Apologies, I would be happy to answer any questions (you or anybody) can email me:

Randy@HullBreachStudios.com

to ensure they get answered 100%. We had tried to secure rights to the original dead IP and after being unsuccessful we have opted to change the title and game into something new and its own. While this new game technically is unrelated to the original title besides the fact I revealed the original it is spiritually inspired through certain aspects of the game. Core development of Sadness & Solitude is currently at a crawl while other projects are being developed.

Skelter

Banned
Update update update!

Hullbreach is still pushing forward with this game, apparently. From an email they sent out today (allegedly, haven't seen it firsthand):

- Title changed to "Sadness & Solitude"
- Black and White visuals
- 2D, sidescrolling elements, first person elements, 3rd person elements, top down elements
- Wii U and XBone target platforms
- Development partnership between HullBreach and Cthulhi Games has changed to HullBreach and Sinn Development.
- Sinn Development is programming title
- Unity Engine
- 2016 Release
- 1950s setting
- Story involves character within a government facility undergoing human testing and experiments.
- Facility is called PANGEA
- The game has no dialogue between characters
- Story is unraveled through the scenery itself.
- Entire story, bosses, and flow of game has been completed. Area maps are near completion.

Realistically we can expect it next console generation.

Mariolee

I don't even get it. What is so lucrative about the IP of a game that became vaporware with a somewhat negative stigma? Why not just create your own IP? Surely that would be cheaper and better for you to create a name for yourself rather than piggybacking off a dead horse.

As long as they keep writing down promises and not actually show something, I'm not going to believe anything.

"Entire story, bosses, and flow of game has been completed. Area maps are near completion."

So basically no programming at all has been done.

whitney-houston-show-me-the-receipts-gif.gif

ReiGun

As long as they keep writing down promises and not actually show something, I'm not going to believe anything.

"Entire story, bosses, and flow of game has been completed. Area maps are near completion."

So basically no programming at all has been done.

whitney-houston-show-me-the-receipts-gif.gif

Would not surprise me if they didn't even have a programmer at this point.

I don't even get it. What is so lucrative about the IP of a game that became vaporware with a somewhat negative stigma? Why not just create your own IP? Surely that would be cheaper and better for you to create a name for yourself rather than piggybacking off a dead horse.

If a functional game under the title releases, the number of bewildered people that marvel atit will be infinite free marketing.

Alternatively, someone had an odd sense of humor

Top Bottom