• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 5 | Because we didn't preorder thread 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Charizard will become the new pikachu

Ness will be in his own new tier of rarity; he will be practically nonexistent. Exactly one will be sent to the Nintendo World Store in New York City. It will be hung from a peg behind the counter at 2:36 p.m. without warning or fanfare. Some schlubby tourist who walked in to buy some sourvenirs will see Ness on that peg, think he looks like the boy from those Pokémon cartoons and buy him for his kid. That kid will have never played Earthbound in his life, won't know who Ness is and will unceremoniously throw him in a drawer to be sold at a garage sale for $1 10 years from now.
:(

I actually saw Bowser at a Walmart the other day. Color me surprised.

Come on Nintendo, I'll pay for my Ness in full right now if you pump one out for me in your next production run.

How long does it take to produce a batch of these things? You would think Nintendo could take pre-orders, even just for a day, and base their production numbers on those.

Its really hard to say how long it takes to produce enough batches to satisfy demands. There's a lot of numbers involved that they can't just get from something like preorders. I've mentioned before that Skylanders first year, they sold out in December and weren't able to get enough stock on the shelves until May. The same thing happened in the next game, yet these last two games have had pretty good stock all around of everything. Unfortunately with this market, it's almost trial and error because it's so new.

Well, I'm starting to wonder as to why no in NA can preorder wave 4 yet. I just don't get it!!!! Why won't preorders go up yet!!! *crys*
My baseless speculation was that they're either: 1)Waiting for Wave 3 stuff to be out and all wrapped up sales and preorder wise (so, we should see preorders sometime around the beginning of March) or 2) they're waiting for March to get the preorders ready for a possible Easter release for Wave 4. Skylanders frequently launches new figures and stuff around Easter for parents to buy to stick in Easter baskets. Perhaps Nintendo caught on to this and expect to challenge them.

I assumed people in this thread would love the cards. That way you can keep your Amiibo on a shelf (or sealed in the box) and just use the cards for the in-game functionality.

That's what I intend to do. They'll be perfect for using with the N3DS as well - saving you from carrying your Amiibo around with you.

I think it's pretty divided because it can be a double edged sword. Lots of people love collecting a physical figure and having it in their hands or displaying it on a shelf. While you *could* display a card, its a bit harder. Others wont mind the difference and will be plenty happy having an alternative that should presumably be cheaper. It's also dependent on how they distribute cards. One pack cards in some sort of plastic container (like a prepaid Visa card you might find at retail) or in a package thing with multiple cards (like Pokemon cards). There could be a whole new market for the cards with people buying cases or multiple packs to trade with their friends and such.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wow, just counted & my amiibo count is now at 16 (6 of which were free), which'll be bumped to 17 with Sonic & then hopefully 18 with Mega Man.

Then I can finally take an updated picture of my collection.

What's the current situation with Gamestop and Ike and Megaman? I pre-ordered mine with in-store pickup months ago, still haven't gotten a call or text to come pick them up, while I got my Shulk last week.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
My baseless speculation was that they're either: 1)Waiting for Wave 3 stuff to be out and all wrapped up sales and preorder wise (so, we should see preorders sometime around the beginning of March) or 2) they're waiting for March to get the preorders ready for a possible Easter release for Wave 4. Skylanders frequently launches new figures and stuff around Easter for parents to buy to stick in Easter baskets. Perhaps Nintendo caught on to this and expect to challenge them.

Or 3) They have no idea what they're doing and will make everyone RadioShack exclusive as a special going-out-of-business promotion.

AdanVC

Ness will be in his own new tier of rarity; he will be practically nonexistent. Exactly one will be sent to the Nintendo World Store in New York City. It will be hung from a peg behind the counter at 2:36 p.m. without warning or fanfare. Some schlubby tourist who walked in to buy some sourvenirs will see Ness on that peg, think he looks like the boy from those Pokémon cartoons and buy him for his kid. That kid will have never played Earthbound in his life, won't know who Ness is and will unceremoniously throw him in a drawer to be sold at a garage sale for $1 10 years from now.

This made me CRy so bad because this is EXACTLY what is gonna happen. Ness i s my most wanted amiibo of wave 4 what the hellllllll ;___;

Grym

That's a really sad story :(

spoiler
I will be the purchaser at that garage sale 10 years from now. My most wanted amiibo for $1. Score! And he lived happily ever after

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
What's the current situation with Gamestop and Ike and Megaman? I pre-ordered mine with in-store pickup months ago, still haven't gotten a call or text to come pick them up, while I got my Shulk last week.

They come out this Friday. Maybe give your store a call and ask.

crmetteer

Gee. Thanks alot Best Buy...
/s
GrW1Mx2.jpg

secondratesaint

Neo Member
I'm sure its already been discussed in this thread (phone's been dead all day, so I haven't been able to keep up), but it looks like Toys R Us has gotten a small restock of Lucario! I walked in this morning 2 hours after open, and they had 3 sitting on the shelf! I picked up 2, one for myself and one for a friend who was stuck at work. They also got restocked on Toon Lionk and Sheik.

Talked to the dude at the counter; it was the same guy from Friday morning's release. We chatted a bit, and he told me about a mother who called later that same day, literally screaming that Toys R Us shouldn't sell amiibos to grown men because they were ruining children's dreams (her words, not his). He said it went on for 15 minutes of her berating him, me, and everyone else waiting in line that morning before he finally hung up on her.

Amiibos, y'all.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Sure hope my GS gets in Ike, Dedede, Sonic, and Megaman this week.... I'll especially be checking emails for my in store Meta Knight pickup.

So, based on the new acronym of SWATing, I think we need to come up for a new name for Amiibo Scalpers.

I've decided on Amiibo Scalping Squatters Helping Open Larger Expense

In short, ASSHOLEs.

CH4OS

/s

This is like the 10th time this has happened. I think it's pretty much confirmed if you buy 2 amiibo from Best Buy this is how they will ship them.

Sorry Toad and Yoshi.

eh, I don't care I open them anyway ;P

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm sure its already been discussed in this thread (phone's been dead all day, so I haven't been able to keep up), but it looks like Toys R Us has gotten a small restock of Lucario! I walked in this morning 2 hours after open, and they had 3 sitting on the shelf! I picked up 2, one for myself and one for a friend who was stuck at work. They also got restocked on Toon Lionk and Sheik.

Talked to the dude at the counter; it was the same guy from Friday morning's release. We chatted a bit, and he told me about a mother who called later that same day, literally screaming that Toys R Us shouldn't sell amiibos to grown men because they were ruining children's dreams (her words, not his). He said it went on for 15 minutes of her berating him, me, and everyone else waiting in line that morning before he finally hung up on her.

Amiibos, y'all.
By her logic, adults shouldn't be able to buy toys. & what, there's not grown WOMEN who might want amiibo as well?

Also, maybe some of those grown men WERE buying it for their children.

Great thread title. Still waiting on my Ike, and apparently UPS came by my place yesterday when everything was frozen solid but couldn't deliver my packages. Turns out my mailbox was literally frozen over and he couldn't get up the hill to my place. *Womp Womp* Maybe today!

crmetteer

This is like the 10th time this has happened. I think it's pretty much confirmed if you buy 2 amiibo from Best Buy this is how they will ship them.

Well I also had ordered an extra Donkey Kong. It shipped by itself, but they put it in a bag. A fucking shipping bag! By the time it got to me, it was in awful shape. Luckily, that one I was going to open anyways, but still...

Geez, this feels far too real for my taste.

Obviously not gonna happen but I wouldn't be surprised if he is the rarest of the wave.

Amiibos, y'all.

Amiibo (OT6): Ruining Childen's Dreams, One Grown Man at a Time.

lionpants

/s
Wow, sucks to see that the Best Buy in the US is no different.

I received my Meta Knight from Best Buy here in Canada and the box was barely deep enough for him and the bubble was crushed. Waiting from support to see what they say, I'm probably SOL though, cause Meta Knight.

imjust1n

Banned

Amiibos, y'all.

Lol we all grew up with Nintendo so she should get over it. She's just jealous or stubborn. Oh well I'll still collect amiibos till they stop :)

Toki767

Amiibos, y'all.

I bet she's a scalper.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I picked up about 10 of the old commons from BB and they all came perfectly in about 6 different boxes of various sizes.
Sorry to see that.

Korosenai

Friend of mine that lives in Mississippi just walked into a best buy and they had six metaknights out on the shelves. So if you live near a best buy, I'd go check right now.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
There's a pair of scummy older ladies at my TRU. On release day, they tried to convince the cashier that their preorders were BOGO50% off when they preordered them for $1 each, so the deal should apply. They paraded around bragging about their Smash Wii U bundle. I saw them last week at TRU returning four Zeldas for the two MM and two Sonic they bought.

Akim

Banned
I went to toys r us. They said they are getting a shipment some time today but they said they didn't know what was in it. I grabbed a toon link though.

Is anyone still looking for Lucario? I ended up with two. It's not boxed. Thanks to the worst packing I've ever seen, the box was dead on arrival. The figure itself is fine. I'm selling it for $24 to cover my own shipping and packing. PM me if you're interested. First come first serve and I'm limited to the US for shipping.

Edit: sold

I went to toys r us. They said they are getting a shipment some time today but they said they didn't know what was in it. I grabbed a toon link though.

My local TRU here in the Bay Area said they expect a shipment on Wed night. I don't believe them haha

Hooray, another thread. Love the title. I can't keep up though, it's still going too fast :lol

If everything goes well, I can pick up Mega Man this weekend. He finally arrives in Europe!

Apparently my best buy only has one meta knight available for the 20th. Yeah that totally isn't a case of the employees keeping stock for themselves.

Canon

Banned
I got my metaknight amiibo in the mail and the package is damaged, dented. Plus the amiibo itself has paint defects, just like every damn Amiibo I've ordered through FutureShop.

Can't even get a replacement since the damn thing isn't sold anymore.

I got my metaknight amiibo in the mail and the package is damaged, dented. Plus the amiibo itself has paint defects, just like every damn Amiibo I've ordered through FutureShop.

Can't even get a replacement since the damn thing isn't sold anymore.
Can u take a pic. I an curious what kind of common defects MK has. Thanks

batfax

Man, what is TAKING so long for wave 4 to go up for preorder? I just want to get some orders in and stop worrying about it.

Can u take a pic. I an curious what kind of common defects MK has. Thanks

Id post my pic but im at work. I'll describe:

MK has silver "metal" armor pieces that has shading or a worn look to them, which people think is a paint defect. It kinda makes the armor look dirty. I don't know if the previous poster's MK other defects but I'm describing what most think is a defect. My true paint defect on my MK has that same worn look in circle form around where his nose would be if he had a nose (under his eyes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom