• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 5 | Because we didn't preorder thread 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets combine your and my post totals and see if we can beat him lol.

Namagem we need tag teams for comments set up a bracket lol
OOOH! That reminds me, now that we're in a new OT, we need another Smash tourney! This is part 2 of this series, so I'll preemptively dub it:

"AmiiboGAF Smash 2: Electric Boogaloo"

When I get a free night next, I'm definitely gonna set that up again, if anyone's down for some good competition. We had a nice showing last time, so here's hoping for another successful AmiiboGAF tourney!

RiggyRob

I saw Shulk appears on the compatibility list for Xenoblade Chronicles 3D - anyone know what exactly he does for it? I'm wondering if it'll be similar for Xenoblade Chronicles X when it comes out.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I saw Shulk appears on the compatibility list for Xenoblade Chronicles 3D - anyone know what exactly he does for it? I'm wondering if it'll be similar for Xenoblade Chronicles X when it comes out.

Supposed to give credits and unlock OST.

Gusto

I wasn't in the top 30 and I would like to thank the Drama of Thread 3 for my going into hiding. But I am back and feeling the good Amiibo waves raining down on me. I mean just look at this! Dont you want to make love to this picture.
20150216_154057.jpg

That was the proof pic I was wanting to get to the dude that was compling release dates for Waves. TRU did sell Wave 3B figures after preorders yesterday. Not just a brag I promise ;P

I think I saw this pic on C.A.G the other day.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Depends on your definition of Amiibo. They consider cards = to figures so you might say they won't.

It doesn't really make sense for them to just stop making Smash Amiibos.

The Amiibos make money. The cards will make money, but they aren't going to have the same level of sell-through as the figures. Nintendo knows this. They're just a supplement.

Why is there any thought that Nintendo will just randomly stop releasing Smash amiibos?

They'll finish the line, but they won't reprint some of the figures for it. To keep those who want the functionality of out of print figures, they will offer cards as an alternative. Nowhere was it ever indicated that they will stop producing new figures for the line, especially when they've pretty much already committed themselves to that. It sounds like they aren't upping production at all for future lines however, so don't expect getting the entire set to be easy.

AdanVC

Gawd dam new thread. Title is A++ obvs.

No but seriously happy hunting everyone :D. Everyday is more and more difficult to get this things and Nintendo just doesn't do anything about it. Thank, Reggie.

Ashilyn

You know, i don't wanna believe that, and yet...

I seem to recall them saying they intended to at least do the entire regular roster of Smash (though I'm not sure how they'd do the Mii Fighter). I can see Mewtwo ending up in card limbo though. I imagine we'll still see the rest of the cast of Mario Party as figures too. Who knows after that. I still kinda wish they'd do some variants too - Female Robin, Male Wii Fit Trainer, and another Villager and maybe even one of the Koopa Kids. The problem with variants is that, in the figure and statue market, that's the kind of thing you sell at conventions and events, and the last thing we need is even more exclusive and rare amiibo.

I highly dislike this card amiibo idea, mostly because the whole reason I started getting these was the figures. Cool content in some games was a nice bonus. I appreciate that it potentially makes stuff like the bonus characters in Code Name STEAM more readily available to people (depending on how they ship the cards - randomised "packs" would be absolutely hilarious). I already have too many various types of cards laying around the house, I don't really need a Nintendo set too.

StAidan

I like the card idea just fine, personally, and I'd be more likely to try and collect a full set with that sort of thing (I don't have room for 50 figures). No way I'd get on board with randomized card packs though. If that became a thing, I'd complete my set on eBay.

Grym

I highly dislike this card amiibo idea, mostly because the whole reason I started getting these was the figures. Cool content in some games was a nice bonus.

Same here. I have very little interest in collecting cards. I love the figures as collectibles and the in-game NFC content is a cool bonus to that. The NFC feature in and of itself isn't why I buy amiibos. And really that is all a card amiibo would be - a means to access the bonus game content along with a picture on a piece of cardboard. A decent, affordable figure of a Nintendo character I love is a much bigger catalyst for me to buy amiibos than the NFC content will ever be.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
My Ike from TRU just arrived. The design is fantastic. Easily in my top 3 amiibos.

LostAnkh

I still kinda wish they'd do some variants too - Female Robin, Male Wii Fit Trainer, and another Villager and maybe even one of the Koopa Kids. The problem with variants is that, in the figure and statue market, that's the kind of thing you sell at conventions and events, and the last thing we need is even more exclusive and rare amiibo.

I highly dislike this card amiibo idea, mostly because the whole reason I started getting these was the figures. Cool content in some games was a nice bonus. I appreciate that it potentially makes stuff like the bonus characters in Code Name STEAM more readily available to person (depending on how they ship the cards - randomised "packs" would be absolutely hilarious). I already have too many various types of cards laying around the house, I don't really need a Nintendo set too.
I'd like to see variants too, but it'd have to be a low production since they have to move onto upcoming games and the amiibo support they will have. NoA needs to do more with their online store like NoE.

I'm a little hesitant on commenting on the idea of NFC cards, so I'll just wait to see what they look like and how they hold up to the amiibo they're based off of. I'd imagine they'd look like this or any of the other AR cards for a template and house the official rendered artwork. It'd be cool if they were plastic too.

Dominator

Fantastic thread title, can't wait to finish up wave 3. I'm glad it's about a 2 month wait for wave 4 to release so I have some time away from Amiibo's (Mario Party line all secure so far) lol

Mesoian

My import Rosalina came in. Been training her up, fun stuff, though the feeding aspect of it seems....frustrating.

I need to plug her into Hyrule Warriors and see what gets spit out, if anything.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yeah, I should probably repost this for the new thread as well:

If you quote the first post, you'll find a link to the AmiiboGAF Community Spreadsheet I made for us! If you'd like to be added, please PM me the following:

GAF Username:
Wii U NNID:
3DS Friend Code:
PS Network User ID:
Time Zone (optional):

Draxal

My Ike from TRU just arrived. The design is fantastic. Easily in my top 3 amiibos.

I love the figure, but the derp is strong in this one, even though my paint job wasn't that bad.

It's one where the face doesn't really match the character model at all.

So since were in the new OT5 thread, and seeing that Friday is going to add 100 pages to this, and when wave 4 hits it'll add another 100, might as well start the next thread voting.

Amiibo OT4: We didn't preorder OT4 so we moved onto OT5 but now OT4 is back in stock! GO GO GO!

Amiibo OT4: Wait weren't we on OT5 before so shouldnt this be OT6?

Amiibo OT6: Nintendo announces Wave 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, AND 10! Releases sometime in 2015 or 2016. Or 2017.

Amiibo OT6: Every day in April & May will be a hard release date for one character at one retailer

Amiibo OT7: OT6's Release date is unknown

Zalman

The second half of wave 3 is out here in Europe on Friday, but since I'm busy this weekend I'm going to stop by on Thursday to see if they put them up early. Maybe I'll get lucky...

Card idea is lame as hell. Hope everyone in the smash series gets a figure. On the other hand, I hope pokken is xards that way I save a lot of money there cause I sure as well wont be getting that but if it was figures id be all over em

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
So since were in the new OT5 thread, and seeing that Friday is going to add 100 pages to this, and when wave 4 hits it'll add another 100, might as well start the next thread voting.

Amiibo OT4: We didn't preorder OT4 so we moved onto OT5 but now OT4 is back in stock! GO GO GO!

Amiibo OT6: Nintendo announces Wave 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, AND 10! Releases sometime in 2015 or 2016. Or 2017.

Amiibo OT6: Every day in April & May will be a hard release date for one character at one retailer

Amiibo OT6: please understand.

TheGrue

Alright, I will be flying back tonight, but I figured I will go ahead and announce the winner of the random drawing. Drum roll..........

gaohx

I'll contact the person through PM and get their address and make sure they don't have Lucario. If they do, I'll contact the next person on the list. Basically, what I did was take the list of people who messaged me, fed it into a thing that takes a list of people and lets you randomize the list. Closed my eyes, hit the list generator a few times, and then took the person at the top. So, if that person has gotten a Lucario, I will take the second person in line. If that person has it, I keep going down the list.

I'll try to get this mailed out tomorrow or Thursday at the latest.

Nori Chan

way too long lol

Forgot I had Sonic preordered through TrU and he showed up this morning. Little bummed it looks like he's going so fast the paint is a tad smeared around his cheek. I may look to replace him if I just happen to stumble across another one.

Also hope preorders haven't gone up yet for the next wave because they're cranking out way more of them so more preorders can be filled. If there's anytime to flood stores, now is it because they'll be purchased regardless with the demand out there versus being cautious about the first couple of waves.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member

Amiibo Thread 6 | If Nintendo can't keep track of numbers, why should we?

gaohx

Alright, I will be flying back tonight, but I figured I will go ahead and announce the winner of the random drawing. Drum roll..........

gaohx

I'll contact the person through PM and get their address and make sure they don't have Lucario. If they do, I'll contact the next person on the list. Basically, what I did was take the list of people who messaged me, fed it into a thing that takes a list of people and lets you randomize the list. Closed my eyes, hit the list generator a few times, and then took the person at the top. So, if that person has gotten a Lucario, I will take the second person in line. If that person has it, I keep going down the list.

I'll try to get this mailed out tomorrow or Thursday at the latest.

Oh, my....I won something........this is too cool.

Hmm......I will try and get a multiple of another upcoming "rarer" Amiibo and do the same!

Toki767

Does anyone else think there's a high possibility that Nintendo (of America) won't actually release future amiibo waves? They might think the characters are so obscure that no one could possibly want them. And with card amiibos coming soon, they might just sell the Smash roster as a card set.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone else think there's a high possibility that Nintendo (of America) won't actually release future amiibo waves? They might think the characters are so obscure that no one could possibly want them. And with card amiibos coming soon, they might just sell the Smash roster as a card set.

F5GxPUT.gif

Jagsrock

Banned

I will full on grab my torch and pitchfork, If that happens.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Alright, what the hell. USPS says that Shulk was "out for delivery" at about 8:30 AM. It's now almost 1:40 PM & the mail should've been here about an hour ago. & I live out on the border of town, so I highly doubt anyone took it since there's only really 1 house "close" by & I know for a fact the neighbors wouldn't do something like that, plus even if they got it my mistake, they're the kind who'd come over & give it to their rightful owner.

I GUESS they could've gotten some mail built up from President's Day, but I don't think that would've caused for a huge delay in my mail coming.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I think the first post is long overdue for a Wave 3 update:
v5bQvrW.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom