• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently Bethesda ripped off a New Vegas mod for a Far Habor Quest in Fallout 4

adversarial

That seems to be the case, but I would be very interested to see if this would actually hold up in court. Is there any precedent for this being legally enforceable?

Well, if they have to agree to the terms before they upload anything, or by uploading, they are agreeing to those terms, what would the legal recourse be to fight that?

Legitimately curious.

With all that Skyrim money you'd think they'd have hired a few new fresh writers at this point, and not resorted to ripping off other peoples' work.

Has their writing staff been essentially the same group of people since the Morrowind days?

rrs

With all that Skyrim money you'd think they'd have hired a few new fresh writers at this point, and not resorted to ripping off other peoples' work.

Has their writing staff been essentially the same group of people since the Morrowind days?
more like replaced their staff with a random word generator

"You automatically grant to Bethesda Softworks the irrevocable, perpetual, royalty free, sublicensable right and license under all applicable copyrights and intellectual property rights laws to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, perform, display, distribute and otherwise exploit and/or dispose of the New Materials (or any part of the New Materials) in any way Bethesda Softworks, or its respective designee(s), sees fit."

Doesn't that mean they technically own it? Still doesn't sit well, even if they do.

They almost certainly own it, but it's an incredibly bad look.

I imagine they're either going to go "They're not similar at all!" or throw a quest designer under the bus.

Cranster

Banned
Not sure what point you're trying to make with this? If they ripped off of someone else's hard work, it's wrong. That's not "salt."

The amount of hate Fallout 4 and Bethesda get's on GAF in general is too much sodium for me to handle.

Wrap it up folks, Cranster says plagiarism is fine if the customer base doesn't know about it.
It's not plagiarism though as Bethesda is the IP holder/publisher of the game itself.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is the author/s european? The EU ain't so cut and dry about accepting EULAs.

Even if were inclined to take this to court, he'd have a hard time arguing that he has any legal claim to something created with Bethesda-owned software for use in a Bethesda-owned game and is almost entirely composed of Bethesda-owned assets. The lawsuit would only be worthwhile if Bethesda "borrowed" the content he himself created for the mod, such as the voiceover work, as the argument could be made that he owns said content regardless of the legalise in the EULA.

Even if it's legal, this is about the worst way you can treat your modding community.

Even if were inclined to take this to court, he'd have a hard time arguing that he has any legal claim to something created with Bethesda's software for use in a Bethesda game that is almost entirely composed of Bethesda assets.

Even with derivative works you still have copyright on the elements you introduced (although game design ideas don't count, so maybe it doesn't matter). But that's not the case with this agreement.

Nictel

We don't know if Bethesda copied it or somewhere some lead designer brought forth the idea as their own.

Funny enough I find Las Vegas better looking, side by side Fallout 4 looks extra cartoony.
Or cartoony isn't the right word, textures just look cheap, bright single colored textures.

how cheeky of them to do such a thing though, if they liked it that much they should have name dropped the guy who made the original and all that.

mrqs

That's ridiculous. My love for Bethesda is downhill since Fallout 3. They don't improve and looks like that they don't care for the creators that love those games.

Really shocked.

The creator of the MOD may not have any rights or claim to any $$$ but it would be cool if Bethesda took care of him with some $$$ for the inspiration.

Ludens

Banned
Bethesda discovered a new loop: put your mod on Bethesda.net for free, purchase it later as full game or DLC.

Sheroking

We don't know if Bethesda copied it or somewhere some lead designer brought forth the idea as their own.

Funny enough I find Las Vegas better looking, side by side Fallout 4 looks extra cartoony.

Injecting color was kind of the point.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas were ugly games at time of release.

more like replaced their staff with a random word generator

Wait I found a leaked scan of their quest design doc:

2015-11-16_00014_zpspjff7cuw.jpg

Seriously, when you resort to something like this as a huge development studio a categorization as "creatively bankrupt" no longer sounds like something only some RPG nerds at an obscure sites would consider.

Seriously.

I mean, if the mod creator wound up being an employee or something at Bethesda or had some other connection to them, then the similarities might make some sense. But if this is just some people at Bethesda plagiarizing this mod without giving the original creator any credit, that's incredibly scummy and dishonest.

Given all the language surrounding mods and so forth, its probably legal, but it is so blatantly scummy of Bethesda to do this without crediting the original mod creator in any way shape of form and trying to pass this off as their own. That's just wholesale plagiarism, regardless whether the EULA lets them just swipe anything from any mods they please.

Even of the EULA means the mod creator gives "ownership" of the mod to the developer, I'm pretty sure that just means the mod itself, not the ideas contained within it/concept behind it. After all, there are plenty of mods with copyrighted materials; for example, Thomas the Tank Engine in Skyrim. Bethesda reserve the right to use the Thomas the Tank mod on Steamby putting it in a list of mods, or alter it if it doesn't work, etc. But they obviously can't use Thomas the Tank Engine in whatever the hell they like.

Wulfram

The mod creator doesn't seem upset

"Now, now, truth be said, I honestly thought Bethesda’s staff played Autumn Leaves, had a blast with it (I hope) took some things out of it and made their own thing for Far Harbor. And I seriously think this is perfectly okay. After all, Autumn Leaves’ inspirations are countless (Asimov’s, Cluedo, Planescape : Torment, Arcanum, older Fallouts, etc.) and being influenced is a natural part of the writing process.

Of course, it raises some questions : should modders get some recognition from the industry, compensation? How could those two dynamics - paid content and free creation - should be managed? What kind of acknowledgement should a big publisher give to small creators? What is the kind of acknowledgement they can afford?"

Soulflarz

Banned
Even if were inclined to take this to court, he'd have a hard time arguing that he has any legal claim to something created with Bethesda-owned software for use in a Bethesda-owned game that is almost entirely composed of Bethesda-owned assets.

This is the real thing. You'd have to prove without a shadow of a doubt they stole your concept and such, since you have no asset based argument.

As for the whole 'the EULA makes this valid' argument, I'm fairly certain EULAs don't supersede law in the US in the case he tried to argue they stole his conceptual works. Good luck proving it though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Even with derivative works you still have copyright on the elements you introduced (although game design ideas don't count, so maybe it doesn't matter). But that's not the case with this agreement.

Oh, I realise he could argue that he has the legal right to the original content he created for the mod (e.g. the voice over work). I was speaking to the ownership of the mod itself, not the piecemeal elements thereof.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The amount of hate Fallout 4 and Bethesda get's on GAF in general is too much sodium for me to handle.
Dude are you serious? Backlash about taking a free mod, and making it into a paid dlc without giving credit to the creator is absolutely justified.

proudly upholding Codexian design values

Yeah, checked it out, FedoraCodex is right this once. Looking at dialog comparisons it goes beyond simple coincidence.

But I still think they're (And NoMutantsAllowed) way too obsessed with their crusade against Bethesda. Among other issues I have with them, like the sizable amount of open bold-faced homophobes and Gaters there, complete with the whole "Corruption in games journalism" shtick.

aee6fa4001.png

Stevey

Well I would have never played the mod if they didn't include it as part of the Season Pass so thanks, Bethesda.

Also, isnt there like a thing that if you make a mod for their game it becomes their property or something?

Oh, I realise he could argue that he has the legal right to the original content he created for the mod (e.g. the voice over work). I was speaking to the ownership of the mod itself, not the piecemeal elements thereof.

I mean that Bethesda wouldn't normally be allowed to just copy the mod as every original element introduced such as art, sound and I think also writing is copyrighted by the modder, regardless if it is made with the tools of Bethesda. Same goes with other types of derivative works.

Nimby

Banned
Did you read the article? Almost the entire questline is "the same".

I mean how 'samey' is it. The similarities in the OP could be determined as a tribute in some way. If it's 1 for 1 the same then I'd think otherwise. Anyway, they should acknowledge the creator regardless.

And if this was your revelation that BGS is creatively bankrupt, I'm wondering what took you so long.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Whether or not this is legal (which I still feel is questionable despite what the EULA says), it's still a fucking asshole thing to do.

Also, way to guarantee that I never buy Fallout 4. No way am I supporting this kind of bullshit.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The mod creator doesn't seem upset

I know exactly how this guy feels, as I've been in this situation countless times. Every time I think "it sure would be nice if I got a little recognition, but either way my work is reaching a broader audience which is all I ever wanted to begin with."

Top Bottom