• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4: Far Harbor IOTI Point Lookout 2: Synthetic Boogaloo

This DLC was going so well, and was up in 8/10 territory for me, until I hate the fucking piece of shit tower defense/hacking quest. What the hell were they thinking!?

I beat the first four pretty easily, but it was time consuming and mindnumbing. Not fun whatsoever, or even remotely enjoyable. The fifth one took forever.

There's two wasted hours (I suck at puzzles).

I'd hoped to finish the DLC today, because I needed to move on to something else, but that kept me from doing so.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
It's got enough landmass to impress, but not enough locations within it. Enemy and location diversity is very low..It might be nostalgia talking, but I remember Bloodmoon and Shivering Isles having a lot of locations.

It's not a bad piece of DLC, but it's not great either. Tod Howard said that Far Harbor is the largest expansion (he called it an expansion...yeah)...

I never played Bloodmoon but as far as Shivering Isles is concerned, I'd say that is nostalgia talking. And I love Shivering Isles.

He called Far Harbour an expansion because it is an expansion. It adds an entirely new large playable map, separate from the main game. For me it seems about the same size and has about as much content as Shivering Isles, Point Lookout and Dragonborn did.

How much longer do I have if I just bested the hacking puzzles/need to turn them in?

So is the performance on the Xbox version better than the PS4? The PS4 version is pretty bad.

It's not perfect, but is pretty good overall. At least to me. People on GAF can be more critical than I.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Hacking into Dima's memories was nowhere near as bad as some of you made it out to be. Come on. I'm no kind of genius at solving puzzles and the only time I had to actually sit and think for 5 minutes was on the last memory.

Also, I appreciate that it provided a genuine change of pace. Bethesda took deserved flak for the lack of mission variety in the base game, and obviously took the opportunity to try something a bit different with this quest. I'd encourage them to keep going with that kind of mindset.

Hacking into Dima's memories was nowhere near as bad as some of you made it out to be. Come on. I'm no kind of genius at solving puzzles and the only time I had to actually sit and think for 5 minutes was on the last memory.

Also, I appreciate that it provided a genuine change of pace. Bethesda took deserved flak for the lack of mission variety in the base game, and obviously took the opportunity to try something a bit different with this quest. I'd encourage them to keep going with that kind of mindset.

It wasn't hard, just time consuming which is why it was boring

SlashX

So I just finished
the Brain Dead quest and after telling Max that all is good , he pays me and then runs off to the vault entrance and when I attempt to interact with him he just repeats his dialogue over and over. "Sir?," or "Good to see you."
When I try and speak to the other residents all I get are reactions to the sounds of me killing the killer. It's like I'm supposed to explain to them who the actual murderer was and what the commotion was about but there just isn't a dialogue prompt showing up. I tried sleeping for 24 hours but nothing. I even solved the case in a different way and I still get the same responses from everyone.
Is anyone else experiencing this glitch? Can someone go back and see if this is normal,I'd really appreciate it? Tried the Bethesda forums but I get ignored and all people seem to talk about is..well you can probably guess.

The overall atmosphere in The Nucleus is pretty awesome. The creepy religious chanting in the background, glowing fungus everywhere, weird ass people. It's nice to see this faction get a fully fleshed out story after only briefly hearing about them now and then.

Tip: Play this DLC at night with the lights off and a glass of whiskey by your side, it greatly enhances the experience.

Yesterday I met a
Bloodrage Mirelurk
for the first time. Holy shit that thing looks like straight from hell. Almost shat my pants.

Teggy

So, is Kasumi
a synth
? The dialogue is so inconclusive and contradictory that I didn't know if I missed something or if it is intentionally left vague.

Also, something strange happened in my game. The marker to talk to Avery after
finding out that she is a synth got stuck on my character and just followed me all over. And I couldn't find Avery after I finished helping out Bertha. It was like the game was telling me that I was Avery (twist!) but I think it was just a bug.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Completed The main storyline yesterday and got the last Trophy. Now I want to get the Longfellow perk, any suggestions on how to get it the fastest?

jesu

Finished it last night.Took me 18 hours.
Just need to get the last couple of achievements.
I enjoyed it, especially puzzle section.
A nice change of pace.

npa189

Is PC performance known to be bad as well? my 970 is struggling at 40 fps in this at 1080p. Good thing I get my gtx 1080 on Friday.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully the framerate issues are sorted out with the new patch. The slowdown was literally my only complaint with Far Harbour (and even then it didn't bother me that much). This is a top-notch expansion and people should get to experience it properly. I can't wait to get back again on my second character, once we get mods on ps4. It's going to be so good...

Pjsprojects

Glitched right at the end.
I went for wiping everyone out,but Far harbour peeps just keep fighting Arcadia forever. I am ment to watch or help but seeing as I can't speak to anyone no quests can end

😣

ACR0019

Where is all of the hype for this DLC? I suppose mods and Witcher have done a number on it. I have been really enjoying the different factions of this DLC so I'm not wanting it to end.

Elandyll

Banned
Loved this DLC... I actually wish all of Fallout4 could have the same heavy atmosphere, well written quests and characters, and Cthullu-esque monsters galore.

I am at 250h+ played overall, culminating yesterday in putting the final touches to my 3 story high Health Care Center which doubles as a Radiation Research Center, complete with waiting rooms, sliding door entrance (both sides), Vertibird landing area, decontamination entryway, main entrance plus side entrance, restrooms, Admissions, Cafeteria, Exam rooms, Surgery, Delivery, Post Partum, Patient ward (5 beds), 2 maternity private bedrooms, 1 multipurpose patient room, Nursing station, Resident desks, Research admin area (top floor), Research room with decon entrance (2 doors), and VP researcher appartments (top floor)...

All without mods (I did cheat for mats, I got tired of doing junk runs or spending all my caps).

Maybe I need to take a break from F4 ...

N° 2048

Loved this DLC... I actually wish all of Fallout4 could have the same heavy atmosphere, well written quests and characters, and Cthullu-esque monsters galore.

I am at 250h+ played overall, culminating yesterday in putting the final touches to my 3 story high Health Care Center which doubles as a Radiation Research Center, complete with waiting rooms, sliding door entrance (both sides), Vertibird landing area, decontamination entryway, main entrance plus side entrance, restrooms, Admissions, Cafeteria, Exam rooms, Surgery, Delivery, Post Partum, Patient ward (5 beds), 2 maternity private bedrooms, 1 multipurpose patient room, Nursing station, Resident desks, Research admin area (top floor), Research room with decon entrance (2 doors), and VP researcher appartments (top floor)...

All without mods (I did cheat for mats, I got tired of doing junk runs or spending all my caps).

It's crack. I still play everyday since launch. Creeping up on 500 hours of playtime and still find something new almost every week.

How did you make your Vertibird landing area? Does it Vertibird actually land on it?

Pjsprojects

Wow,need a tour!

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
...putting the final touches to my 3 story high Health Care Center which doubles as a Radiation Research Center, complete with waiting rooms, sliding door entrance (both sides), Vertibird landing area, decontamination entryway, main entrance plus side entrance, restrooms, Admissions, Cafeteria, Exam rooms, Surgery, Delivery, Post Partum, Patient ward (5 beds), 2 maternity private bedrooms, 1 multipurpose patient room, Nursing station, Resident desks, Research admin area (top floor), Research room with decon entrance (2 doors), and VP researcher appartments (top floor)...

lol. I plan on doing all of that...just, with mods.

Elandyll

Banned
It's crack. I still play everyday since launch. Creeping up on 500 hours of playtime and still find something new almost every week.

How did you make your Vertibird landing area? Does it Vertibird actually land on it?
Made it with foundations and a path from there to the entrance and a decon arch, but the VB so far refuse to actually land on it :/
Apparently the corn/ Mudfruit field is preferable to the pilot than a nice flat open area...

I feel like I will wait for the PS4 patch to come out until I start playing it again.
I think a better performance will make me enjoy this even more.

ACR0019

Finished the main quest today. Felt a little short, but I really enjoyed my agency in this story compared to the main quest. Alas, time to jump into mods!

Moofers

I downloaded this on PS4 on day one and never noticed anything super odd. The fog never brought my framerate to a slideshow or anything like what people had set the expectation for. I barely noticed anything to be honest.

That said, I've enjoyed this. Regarding the Children of Atom:
Did anyone else nuke them to all hell? I sure did. Its weird because Far Harbor wanted to mourn them and I look at it like who cares, they got exactly what they prayed for, right? The hallucination
sequence was pretty cool. A little scary, even. I love seeing stuff like that in this game.

Also, I didn't mind the tower defense/puzzle section people keep complaining about. I actually really enjoyed it. Part minecraft, part Portal. I dug it.

How does this work? Do you just delete the current DLC on your HDD? Or will it automatically overwrite the current DLC if you re-download it?

I don't know if it actually worked, but I followed their guide and it re-downloaded and reinstalled. I won't be able to play until tomorrow night at the earliest.

So I downloaded the DLC again (I didn't delete anything before) (PS4)
Played for 10min now. Performance really seems better. I tried to get into some heavy fog to test it but I can't find any. Normally on the way from Far Harbor to Acadia I run through a lot of fog but now there isn't really much.

When I look in the options it says it's v 1.5.180.0.1

N° 2048

So I downloaded the DLC again (I didn't delete anything before) (PS4)
Played for 10min now. Performance really seems better. I tried to get into some heavy fog to test it but I can't find any. Normally on the way from Far Harbor to Acadia I run through a lot of fog but now there isn't really much.

When I look in the options it says it's v 1.5.180.0.1

That was apparently the fix. It's no longer lingering fog. It looks more to me like it's small bursts of fog now.

I still get FPS dips when there is fog with the new download. Not as bad though.

The PS4 just cannot handle that fog for some reason.

They need to move on from Gamebyro.

That was apparently the fix. It's no longer lingering fog. It looks more to me like it's small bursts of fog now.

I still get FPS dips when there is fog with the new download. Not as bad though.

The PS4 just cannot handle that fog for some reason.

They need to move on from Gamebyro.
Its purely on Bethesda (specifically Todd Howard) not really caring about the PS4 that is the problem.

Its purely on Bethesda (specifically Todd Howard) not really caring about the PS4 that is the problem.

It's insane how much preferential treatment they've given the Xbox brand over the years. They do it in subtle ways, but the patterns are ALWAYS there.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees that.

On topic, would you guys say that Far Harbor is better than the main campaign?

Top Bottom