• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Archer - S7 |OT| of Jazz Hands, Suppressing Fire & the Danger Zone - Thursdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zubz

Banned
I just saw the episode today, so there's no bragging rights in calling it, but as soon as Archer called in the cyborg, I knew it wasn't going to be the cyborg in the pool. Having them both in the same tux clinched it for me. Besides, they've tested the waters of killing/replacing a character with the Krieger clones. However, I didn't realize this until after watching, but one Archer mentioned the tux was integral to the plan. After seeing the truck driver, I'm convinced both Archers are cyborgs. Still, this should make for an exciting Comic Con! And although I felt the show could've ended on a high note after Archer Vice, this cliffhanger has me jonesing for a Season 8. That's really crafty of Reed & Co.

Overall, I liked this season; the show probably won't reach the peaks of Season 4, but this season was definitely better than the previous two! The robots seem like they can be super-shark jump-y, but so long as they don't see much use after the Veronica Deane plot, I think the show's going to be fine.

It was Katya. Ona Grauer was in the credits.

Huh. Looks like this Veronica Deane plot's going to seep into S8; I wonder if Katya's involvement was supposed to be covered in one of the 3 episodes that got lost after Cassius & Clay was cancelled?

Zubz

Banned
what the fuck man

They had an ARG last season, so I had a feeling there'd be one this season. I just read the article Cornballer linked though, and they really seem to have stepped up their game. I mean, hell, last year's mini-game was hard, but could be mastered in a few minutes. This one takes 3 hours regardless of what you do!

I also love that there were 2 pieces of this maze puzzle hidden right in the intro, and people figured out the Cicada 3301-tier puzzles before they found 2 that are shown right in the show in relatively-plain sight. I mean, I never noticed them, but I also wasn't keeping up with the ARG until right now. I love that they do these, honestly; I'll have to check out that ASCII short in a little bit.

- 'Archer' Renewed for 3 More Seasons at FX
FX is keeping critical darling comedy Archer around for the long haul.

The cable network has renewed the animated series for three additional seasons, keeping the series on the air through what will be its 10th season. Additionally, FX has signed a new overall production deal with Archer creator Adam Reed's Floyd County Productions, whose Matt Thompson also exec produces the FX Productions comedy.

Archer will return for an eight-episode eighth season in early 2017, followed by two additional eight-episode seasons at dates yet to be determined. The episode counts will be the shortest seasons of the series to date; season one consisted of 10 episodes. That grew to 13 episodes for seasons two-six. Season seven, which ended June 2, consisted of 10. There has been no determination if these will be the final seasons of the series.

Zubz

Banned
All I needed was a mini-series like Heart of Archness to wrap up the twist from the finale & the Veronica Deane arc, but I'll take a couple more seasons! Even if they end up bad, we can at least get some closure.

Heart of Archness is some of my favorite Archer, and that was only a 3-episode mini. Hopefully they can plan things properly and deliver on an 8-episode season. Sounds like they were taken a little off guard with the way that their other show didn't pan out, and the production on Archer S7 was a little screwy because of it.

vypek

Echoing some sentiments:
Love the triple renewal, hate that the seasons are only 8 episodes. I miss longer seasons to shows

Quidam

Haven't seen the finale yet (and I've heard some big shit goes down) so I'm trying to avoid reading the full thread, but has anyone involved in the show confirmed whether the running joke about the Figgis Agency posters was a reference to Terriers?

Both shows were on FX, the poster featured a dog, it was advertising a private detective agency, both shows were based in California, and there were lots of references in this season to how the poster/marketing was either really good, or really bad. Seemed like a bit too much of a coincidence, but it doesn't seem to have been acknowledged anywhere, so might not have been deliberate?

What's up with the censorship in season 7? Netflix version suddenly has un-bleeped f-bombs ("I fucked you on a blimp"), but when I had a look at another source to check, they were bleeped out again. Have they always bleeped out the word "fuck" until now?

Trigg

Banned
What's up with the censorship in season 7? Netflix version suddenly has un-bleeped f-bombs ("I fucked you on a blimp"), but when I had a look at another source to check, they were bleeped out again. Have they always bleeped out the word "fuck" until now?

It depends what FX provides them with. Its like censored anime, it all depends what the network gives them.

Odoul

I just got done going through the entire season in a week.

Pretty damn great! Much needed return to form.

Better than the CIA season which was...decent.

MUCH better than Vice which was pretty shitty to be honest.

Cyril trying so hard to ply a little respect and Archer/Mallory just cutting his legs off at every turn.

About the ending I am 99% positive that
both Archer corpses are androids. The Archer we watched has been a robot this entire season. The real Sterling has been fucking off somewhere for the last 6 months-year. It might be hard to reconcile his memories in the bully episode
...but it's been shown Krieger has no concept of morals, boundaries or personal space.

This and Venture Brothers are pretty much the best thing on air right now.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
“People don’t realize that only one guy writes this show, and he doesn’t enjoy our company,” Aisha Tyler said of series creator Adam Reed. “He’s doing the television version of ghosting us — not returning our calls, writing fewer and fewer episodes. The last season’s going to be one episode.”

Source

:D

Zubz

Banned
Everyone but Archer resembles their voice actors. Illusion broken!

... Which is weird, because Krieger's VA is the model for Ray, not Krieger. That said, it makes things perfect if they ever go live action. Just pull the "Jon Hamm with H. Jon Benjamin dubbing" for Sterling.

vypek

Got excited when I saw the thread was updated and then remembered we already got the renewal news. lol. Still sad about the shorter season.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
In January 2017, FX’s flagship animated series Archer will migrate to FXX, This is part of a major animation push for the comedy-centric FXX, FX Networks CEO John Landgraf indicated at TCA on Tuesday.

via Deadline

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Archer just won the Emmy for Outstanding Animated Series.

Archer edged out stiff competition from last year’s winner Bob’s Burgers, as well as veterans The Simpsons, South Park, and Phineas and Ferb.

- Adam Reed: “The Plan Is to End ‘Archer’ After Season 10” (murmur podcast via Splitsider)
The plan is to end Archer after season 10. I don’t know that anybody has talked about that, but that is definitely my plan – to do 8, 9, and 10 and they’re gonna be each shorter seasons of just eight episodes – and then wind it up. … I was gonna end it after 8, but then I had sort of a brain explosion of a way that I could do three more seasons and really keep my interest up. So the three seasons that are coming up are gonna be pretty different from what has come before, and they’re gonna be different from each other.

vypek

While I'm excited we have a lock on 3 more seasons (even at shorter episodes) I'm slightly concerned about the seasons being different from anything before and different from each other. Well, I guess as long as its not 3 seasons of things akin to Vice that it will be okay for me. And hopefully there are more times where Archer is competent.

Been a very good run.

- Season 8 premise from the NYCC panel:
IGN said:
For those of you wondering whether Sterling Archer is still alive following the Season 7 cliffhanger, the answer is, not shockingly, yes... sort of. As revealed this summer at SDCC, Season 8 -- also referred to as Archer: Dreamland -- will take place entirely in the year 1947. As the producers explained at the panel today, it will include all of the regular cast back in action, although in slightly different roles with slightly different origin stories.

In this 1947 timeline, for instance, Sterling Archer (H. Jon Benjamin) is no longer a spy, but rather a private investigator on the hunt for the person who murdered his old partner, Woodhouse - George Coe, the actor who voiced Woodhouse in earlier seasons passed away in 2015.

Thanks to the time shift, Lana Kane will meet Archer for the first time yet again, although in this reality, it will be as a lounge singer. Actress Aisha Tyler promised the audience that she did all her own singing.

As for Archer creator Adam Reed recently saying the show would end with Season 10, executive producer Matt Thompson wasn't quite as adamant at NYCC. However, he re-iterated that they were signed through Season 10 and that it felt likely that's when the show would wrap up.

vypek

I hope they can pull that off. A whole season set in 1947 doesn't sound appealing at first but obviously I'll give it a shot

Sounds interesting enough though I wish they wouldve done it earlier if it really does end up wrapping up at Season 10. Would've been more interesting than Archer:Vice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom