• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS Global Testpunch Thread: Let's see if this has LEGS

phanphare

Banned
Okay, I think they are doing this on purpose. (Source)

DB3UTExV0AAik9u.jpg

Also, I didn't even realize Twintelle's hair actually have hands. Also, her hair is building muscle.

twintelle is such a beast

101Leafy

Neo Member
Video of someone who has sold their soul to ARMS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZUJV4FAuwM

Those are some pretty precise skillshots. It also shows that you don't get duplicates past the first +.

Edit: He has some pretty good insights on the characters after he unlocks all the arms. At ~47mins he mentioned developers said mid-level players play super defensively while high level players play extremely aggressively, anyone know where he got that from?

Can confirm, my soul is gone. I need to find a source on that interview, they've done quite a few so far. I might even be misremembering it, honestly. I think it was in the same interview where they talked about traditional vs. motion controls?

Oh, and I've beaten you a few times DrDogg, even recorded one of my wins ;) You actually played as Spring Man at one point... and did nothing but spam his shockwave. :p

I wasn't just talking about you, though; I've fought a few dash-happy Twintelles and have gotten quite good at countering the strategy now that I've had some practice against it, even perfecting a Rank 6 one in ranked the other day!

It takes a bit of practice to figure out how to counter the dash spam, but I'm starting to get it down. It's interesting how each character requires a completely different mindset when fighting them due to their varying mobility options. For example, Twintelle always dashes a second time after stalling in the air, so once you learn how your opponent likes to aim their second dash, it's easy to punish them while they're falling.

I wasn't trying to "call you out," by the way, I was just talking about my experience online so far. No need to make it so personal; we've had some great matches! :D

ASIS

Can confirm, my soul is gone. I need to find a source on that interview, they've done quite a few so far. I might even be misremembering it, honestly. I think it was in the same interview where they talked about traditional vs. motion controls?

Oh, and I've beaten you a few times DrDogg, even recorded one of my wins ;) You actually played as Spring Man at one point... and did nothing but spam his shockwave. :p

I wasn't just talking about you, though; I've fought a few dash-happy Twintelles and have gotten quite good at countering the strategy now that I've had some practice against it, even perfecting a Rank 6 one in ranked the other day!

It takes a bit of practice to figure out how to counter the dash spam, but I'm starting to get it down. It's interesting how each character requires a completely different mindset when fighting them due to their varying mobility options. For example, Twintelle always dashes a second time after stalling in the air, so once you learn how your opponent likes to aim their second dash, it's easy to punish them while they're falling.

I wasn't trying to "call you out," by the way, I was just talking about my experience online so far. No need to make it so personal; we've had some great matches! :D
Can you link both the interview as well as the video please?

101Leafy

Neo Member
Can you link both the interview as well as the video please?

I'm not sure what video you're talking about, sorry. I'm pretty sure all of my videos have already been linked in this thread, though. Here's the interview:

"We've let all sorts of people play the game, and after spending some time with it, most of them decide ”I shouldn't punch too often", and wait to react to their opponent's attacks instead. But once they pass that stage, they do things like manipulate their opponent's movements with constant attacks or force them into corners. Their strategic capabilities grow more advanced, so there's a big difference in how people fight depending on their skill."

I was certainly paraphrasing a lot when I said defensive play is mid-level while aggressive play is higher level, but (to me, at least) that's what he's saying here. Playing reactively can be strong, but if you're too defensive, you're letting your opponent charge up free Rush. I can personally vouch for offensive play being good. Many players, including me sometimes, will get very flustered if you get up in their face. If you're playing someone with a campy/zoning loadout like Dragons, my advice is to close in ASAP as long as your character has the mobility to.

Like I mentioned earlier, it's lots of fun to experiment with playstyles. Characters, ARMS, and how you move and punch all combine to make this game have a lot more depth than some people think at first.

Despite having it for a few weeks already, I obviously have a lot to learn about the game... I openly encourage people I play with to use "cheap"/annoying tactics like grab spamming, guarding a bunch as Ninjara, looping in circles as Ribbon Girl, etc. just because of how different ARMS is. I've played Smash, P4AU, Pokken, and TvC, and even though basic concepts like spacing transfer over, ARMS is a refreshingly new experience! :D

I love answering questions on stream/in comments, but you might've noticed that I'm pretty hesitant to say anything definite about balance. Ribbon Girl is extremely mobile which doesn't play too well with the game's odd camera to me, and her fast fall makes jumping much safer than it is for other characters. Ninjara has a lot of abilities to work with too, but that's as much as I'm willing to say on balance. There's so much room for experimentation that I can't wait to see where people take ARMS; for all I know, Revolver/Hydra Min Min could be one of the worst choices in the game! I just find it pretty fun to use. :) Min Min's kick feels very fluid and satisfying to use in the air, and I like how it can be used defensively or offensively.

DrDogg

This is what I said about you earlier in the thread:

I've played against him quite a bit. I don't recall losing to him, but I may have lost here and there and just don't remember. He's better than most of the press and can probably beat Treehouse staff. Treehouse staff are bad at this game.

I don't pay much attention to who I'm playing, but I know I haven't lost to many players unless I had a handicap, it wasn't 1v1, or in this case I was testing how long you can keep Spring Man's deflect active. That may have actually been the first time I used Spring Man. I played mostly Twintelle during the press Party Match times.

You certainly made it seem as though you were talking about me, saying, "some of you guys might know him." If you weren't talking about me, then my apologies. Just felt a little hostile.

Have you done the frame data on how long Twintelle is open between the end of the dash and the start of the slow down? I'm mainly curious to know if it's as long as the recovery on normal dashes with other characters.

Unfortunately, the training mode is pretty bad in this game and I'm just not motivated enough to test things as deeply as you are.

I was certainly paraphrasing a lot when I said defensive play is mid-level while aggressive play is higher level, but (to me, at least) that's what he's saying here. Playing reactively can be strong, but if you're too defensive, you're letting your opponent charge up free Rush. I can personally vouch for offensive play being good. Many players, including me sometimes, will get very flustered if you get up in their face. If you're playing someone with a campy/zoning loadout like Dragons, my advice is to close in ASAP as long as your character has the mobility to.

I try to fight at close range unless I have a big life lead, but the direct counter to Dragons is getting in close. You also can't react to a throw at point-blank range. Well, you can... but the punch has to be active for a few frames to interrupt a throw, which is the problem.

I love answering questions on stream/in comments, but you might've noticed that I'm pretty hesitant to say anything definite about balance. Ribbon Girl is extremely mobile which doesn't play too well with the game's odd camera to me, and her fast fall makes jumping much safer than it is for other characters. Ninjara has a lot of abilities to work with too, but that's as much as I'm willing to say on balance. There's so much room for experimentation that I can't wait to see where people take ARMS; for all I know, Revolver/Hydra Min Min could be one of the worst choices in the game! I just find it pretty fun to use. :) Min Min's kick feels very fluid and satisfying to use in the air, and I like how it can be used defensively or offensively.

I posted my super early, probably not accurate tier list earlier in the thread. My main concern is Ninjara's auto-teleport from block. He doesn't seem to have much recovery on the auto-evade, which could end up being really dumb. Take a good Master Mummy player and put him on Ninjara. That could be scary.

Kovacs

Not sure if this is the best place to put this as there isn't an OT, but Amazon (UK) have excelled themselves and my copy has just arrived today.

Are there any screenshots of things that weren't in the testpunch and the like that you'd like to see?

Not sure if this is the best place to put this as there isn't an OT, but Amazon (UK) have excelled themselves and my copy has just arrived today.

Are there any screenshots of things that weren't in the testpunch and the like that you'd like to see?
Ah what? Lucky! Hope mine comes tomorrow then (UK as well). Did you have Prime shipping?

Lucky sob! I hope Amazon US do the same thing!

daffy

Banned

nope everything was pretty much covered we're just waiting for friday...

BOY IF YOU DON'T TAKE PICS OF GRAND PRIX MODE

Kovacs

I don't want to be that guy that fills a thread with a million images so I've added the first Grand Prix fight, each of the menus and a 1-100 fight to an Imgur gallery - https://imgur.com/gallery/Dd1CL

Game starts just like the Testpunch with a tutorial fight. After that, it's pretty much what we've seen on the Testpuches with everything unlocked except the ability to add ARMS which requires 30 coins. It won't take long at all to get those.

Should also say there was no patching, but since we're not at day one yet, that isn't really a surprise. Played flawlessly so far so no real need of one anyway.

Byte & Bark

Scrapyard Stage

Grand Prix difficulty select

Replays
Pretty much functions the same as Mario Kart.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
When do Nintendo games get put up on he eshop? Will I be able to download it on Thursday night?

Usually around 12:00 PM Eastern on Fridays.

If you have another region account, you can get it early. Japan should have it up on Thursday evening and it will run in full English, for example/

Coda

I was so close to getting an early copy at Walmart today. I saw it out and asked someone to open the case to grab me a copy and bam once we were checking out she said she couldn't ring me out and eventually asked other employees who told her it was preemptively put out early and couldn't sell me the copy. Such a bummer, I was so close. :( Guess I have to wait 3 more days.

daffy

Banned
I don't want to be that guy that fills a thread with a million images so I've added the first Grand Prix fight, each of the menus and a 1-100 fight to an Imgur gallery - https://imgur.com/gallery/Dd1CL

Game starts just like the Testpunch with a tutorial fight. After that, it's pretty much what we've seen on the Testpuches with everything unlocked except the ability to add ARMS which requires 30 coins. It won't take long at all to get those.

Should also say there was no patching, but since we're not at day one yet, that isn't really a surprise. Played flawlessly so far so no real need of one anyway.

Byte & Bark

Scrapyard Stage

Grand Prix difficulty select

Replays
Pretty much functions the same as Mario Kart.
Thanks for the gallery. Looking like a month one purchase

JJShadow

Just finished Gran Prix mode for the first time with Spring Man. Level 4 seems to be a good place to start definitely, a nice amount of challenge

Also played a few ranked games, won all of them and managed to reach rank 5. There was this guy who fighted me like 6 times and he lost every one of them lol

Got my copy from Simplygames today as well, feel free to ask any question/concern you might have

How are load times on cart? No problem?

OmegaFax

Can't say I've noticed any difference between the cart and Testpunch. Mainly because loadings been quick enough that I've paid nearly no attention to it.

I'm pretty sure load times won't matter online since everyone has to be loaded/synced before the match can start.

Not

Banned
A little interview about the character design

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nintendo Explains How It Came Up With Min Min's Unique Design In Arms

Whether Nintendo fans are buzzing about the fabulousness of Twintelle, or the creepiness of Helix, it’s clear that Arms’ characters are already inspiring fierce fandoms. But when I asked Arms art director Masaaki Ishikawa, about the team’s favorite fighter over email, I got the lowdown on Min Min, and how the developers came up with such a distinctive concept for a fighter.

Min Min’s character is a kickboxer based on ramen. Her arms and her hair look tasty noodles, and she’s outfitted in sneakers and bike shorts. But the best part of her outfit is her hat, which is shaped like traditional ramen bowls.

“She’s a female character that’s not too cutesy, and her sporty outfit—including the ramen bowl inspired beanie and dragon motif accessories—also contributes to her popularity,” Ishikawa said.

That sporty design was inspired by fashion that the team saw on the streets of Japan.

“Back when the character was in development, we saw a lot of women wearing shallow beanies over here in Japan. This was right around the time when we were thinking about a ramen-themed female character,” he said. “It hit us that maybe we can cleverly combine this beanie fashion with an upside-down ramen bowl. That’s how it got incorporated into the design.”

Since her hat was a bowl, Ishikawa and the Arms team wanted Min Min’s hair to have a noodle motif.

“[It] widens out at the end resembles the curves of uncooked ramen noodles,” he said. “We also thought this hairstyle would go well with a beanie. That’s how Min Min’s hairstyle came about.”

According to Ishikawa, the team tried to strike a balance between femininity and athleticism for the female characters.

“We made the face and facial expressions feel like something out of an animated movie to give a sense of familiarity. We arranged the facial parts by centering them around the eyes, taking into account the positioning and balance,” Ishikawa said. “We thought we could create simple and easy to read expressions that the audience can relate to.”

The characters certainly are expressive, with huge doe eyes and over the top animations. Min Min, for example, has a strong athletic body that poses sharply while while she fights. But her face is almost Disney-like. Striking the balance between athletic character animations and an expressive, feminine face was a focus for the team. To that end, they gave the female characters powerful character animations and toned musculature. That approach to design would also help players read how the characters move.

“When facing away from the screen, the legs convey the most information about how the character will move,” Ishikawa said. “We designed the legs to have clear definition so movements are easy to see even from a distance. As a result, the silhouettes of the characters resemble those of trained athletes.”

------------------------------------------------------------------

See article for more and some concept art
http://kotaku.com/nintendo-explains-how-it-came-up-with-min-mins-unique-d-1795969546

Why aren't any women leading these teams

jwk94

So I want to bring this to a friend's house later this week. How would that work if we decide to play online? Would we be restricted to team matches or what?

Kudo

So I want to bring this to a friend's house later this week. How would that work if we decide to play online? Would we be restricted to team matches or what?

No, sometimes it puts you against other people 1v1 and only one of you is playing. You play as team in team matches though.

SeanR1221

Think I'm trading on Nier (I just can't get into it) and using the money towards yellow joy cons. I reallly like how they look on the switch

DKL

Where is da strim?

Also, looking forward to the stream for the E3 tournament today...

I'm honestly wondering what I'll be seeing at the thing lol

KodaRuss

Amazon is going to fuck up my preorder I know it. Says that are currently working on getting a delivery estimate.

I really want those Yellow Joy Cons also, I was going to buy them online but do we know if they will be in any stores?

OmegaFax

I swear mine change color tint everytime I look at them.

Also, if you're buying a code from amazon.jp you'll get a 500 yen discount on splatoon 2

According to the Japanese eShop listing for Splatoon 2, it says that Japanese is the only supported language. Whether this is an error in the eShop listing or if Nintendo intends on releasing two different digital SKUs is unknown.

Top Bottom