• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Origins - Framerate test (PS4Pro)

Friend of mine said he saw X footage on GameSpot and compared it to the Pro footage. He didn't really see that many differences. Would be a shame, One X offers that extra power, so use it.

Theorry

Friend of mine said he saw X footage on GameSpot and compared it to the Pro footage. He didn't really see that many differences. Would be a shame, One X offers that extra power, so use it.

You and your friends always. Your posts always start with that haha.
But you cant compare streams etc really.

Dynomutt

One it's through Gamespot so compression may have affected final quality. Two they are using it and have spoken to using the "power" many times.

The type of expectation you have should be reserved for first party studios who have the ability to master the hardware and pull every ounce out of it.

Question:

Which game albeit geographically different has better arrid landscape ACO or HZD? So close...

Md Ray

Being dynamic is still Native just the res changes. If it's 4k dynamic with cb when going below, it's native 4k and when res drops it'll be cb to 4k

So if 90% it's 4k it'll be native. Whenever it drops it uses cb which isn't native for the 10%

True should be a fun month :)

Pro seems to be 1440p

It does render in full 4k but when res drops it'll use cb to keep it 4k via cb

If PS4 Pro is 1440-1500p, then One X is definitely not doing native 4K, like you claim. Certainly not without checkerboard rendering. You're just making this up without providing any evidence that it's native 4K on One X, and when the res drops, it suddenly starts to use checkerboard. Mate.... We have confirmation from DF that CB in the One X version is deployed at all times (link in my prev post). There's no evidence of what you claim that it's native 4K at one time and CB 4K another time. If that's the case, then provide a source.

Space_nut

If PS4 Pro is 1440-1500p, then One X is definitely not doing native 4K, like you claim. Certainly not without checkerboard rendering. You're just making this up without providing any evidence that it's native 4K on One X, and when the res drops, it suddenly starts to use checkerboard. Mate.... We have confirmation from DF that CB in the One X version is deployed at all times (link above). There's no evidence of what you claim that it's native 4K at one time and CB 4K another time. If that's the case, then provide a source.

Just because it's 1440p on pro doesn't mean it can't be 4k natively on Xbox One X. Look at shadow of war ;)

we will find out soon

Md Ray

Just because it's 1440p on pro doesn't mean it can't be 4k natively on Xbox One X. Look at shadow of war ;)

we will find out soon

Shadow of War was 1620p on Pro, while on the One X it was 1980p. It's lower than that here in AC:O (1440-1500p according to your link). Then One X will also be lower than SoW's 1980p (which in and of itself is lower than full 2160p).

Space_nut

Shadow of War was 1620p on Pro, while on the One X it was 1980p. It's lower than that here in AC:O (1440-1500p according to your link). Then One X will also be lower than SoW's 1980p (which in and of itself is lower than full 2160p).

Shadow of War has the ability to run at native 4k at all times on Xbox One X

Space_nut

Just don't go expecting majority of the games to run at native 4K on Xbox, you'll be disapointed.

CB 4K is the multiplatform sweet spot on Xbox One X with additional graphical enhancements.

Lol what a response

So far Tomb Raider and Shadow of War has :) definitely expecting way more too than the other console

Lol what a response

So far Tomb Raider and Shadow of War has :) definitely expecting way more too than the other console

Native 4k is full 4k - not dynamic. Shadow of War can run at native 4k but is dynamic 4k too - so won't be that resolution all the time. Same as Tomb Raider.

So many people seemed confused over what "Native" means - CB isn't native either. Outputting at 4k doesn't mean its native. aggggrrrrrrr

The idea of a game using a native buffer and then changing to a Checkerboard buffer dynamically is just so fucking stupid, that I'm not surprised that only the worst kind of fanboy wet dream can come to that conclusion. Specially when that user has claimed before that Checkerboard sucks on every PS4 Pro thread he has been shitposting.

Space_nut

Native 4k is full 4k - not dynamic. Shadow of War can run at native 4k but is dynamic 4k too - so won't be that resolution all the time. Same as Tomb Raider.

So many people seemed confused over what "Native" means - CB isn't native either. Outputting at 4k doesn't mean its native. aggggrrrrrrr

Just because a game uses dynamic res doesn't mean that the res isn't native.

If say game A uses dynamic res and highest it goes up to is 4K. And it keeps it at that 100% of the time with no drops found anywhere. It is a NATIVE res of 4k since it didn't drop res at all.

So if ACO runs at 4K native with dynamic res then any time it doesn't drop res for performance reasons, the res is NATIVE 4k.

The idea of a game using a native buffer and then changing to a Checkerboard buffer dynamically is just so fucking stupid, that I'm not surprised that only the worst kind of fanboy wet dream can come to that conclusion. Specially when that user has claimed before that Checkerboard sucks on every PS4 Pro thread he has been shitposting.

LMAO Show me where i said "cb sucks"

CB isn't as good as NATIVE 4k. As I have always said and still do. Seems someone is mad :/

One it's through Gamespot so compression may have affected final quality. Two they are using it and have spoken to using the "power" many times.

The type of expectation you have should be reserved for first party studios who have the ability to master the hardware and pull every ounce out of it.

Question:

Which game albeit geographically different has better arrid landscape ACO or HZD? So close...

No real big expectations from me except that devs use the extra power. There has been talks about high resolution textures etc. So let's wait and see if that's the case. Wonder if DF is able to get on it before One X launches.

Lol what a response

Shadow of War uses dynamic resolution on Xbox One X, does it not?

You are overestimating the amount of power inside the Xbox One X. The vast majority of AAA games will not render at a native 4K resolution.

If say game A uses dynamic res and highest it goes up to is 4K. And it keeps it at that 100% of the time with no drops found anywhere. It is a NATIVE res of 4k since it didn't drop res at all.

Your argument is based on a false premise. Why do you think some devs implement dynamic res in their games?

Just because a game uses dynamic res doesn't mean that the res isn't native.

So if ACO runs at 4K native with dynamic res then any time it doesn't drop res for performance reasons, the res is NATIVE 4k.

LMAO Show me where i said "cb sucks"

CB isn't as good as NATIVE 4k. As I have always said and still do. Seems someone is mad :/

Hence the reason the devs are using dynamic 4K, it can’t hit it 100% of the time. Otherwise they wouldn’t tell you they are doing dynamic 4K. It’ll clearly be better than PS4 Pro. But it isn’t 100% native.

Space_nut

Shadow of War uses dynamic resolution on Xbox One X, does it not?

You are overestimating the amount of power inside the Xbox One X. The vast majority of AAA games will not render at a native 4K resolution.

Your argument is based on a false premise. Why do you think some devs implement dynamic res in their games?

Shadow Of War has a option to lock in 4k natively all the time. No dynamic res for that mode

Doom on PS4 is dynamic res but is 1080p all the time

Hence the reason the devs are using dynamic 4K, it can’t hit it 100% of the time. Otherwise they wouldn’t tell you they are doing dynamic 4K. It’ll clearly be better than PS4 Pro. But it isn’t 100% native.

Again I didn't say it's going to be native 4k all the time. It'll be 4k natively when res doesn't drop

Shadow Of War has a option to lock in 4k natively all the time. No dynamic res for that mode

Again I didn't say it's going to be native 4k all the time. It'll be 4k natively when res doesn't drop

Again. Doom even on PS4 drops from 1080p to lower in small situations. Even mentioned in digital foundry article last year.

Theorry

Its a shame dynamic res and CB is looked at weird imo. I wish every game uses dynamic res. Even if there is a 0.0001% chance it drops. Its a good back up to have all the times. You will notice those 3 framedrops in a hectic situation. You wont notice a 100 pixels missing at that moment.

If dynamic resolution is in place then it means the engine cannot maintain it's highest target resolution 100% of the time.

If AC:O is dynamic 4k on XB1X then it's not native 4k. End of story.

Its a shame dynamic res and CB is looked at weird imo. I wish every game uses dynamic res. Even if there is a 0.0001% chance it drops. Its a good back up to have all the times. You will notice those 3 framedrops in a hectic situation. You wont notice a 100 pixels missing at that moment.

Agreed. Horizons in CB is stunning.

Space_nut

If dynamic resolution is in place then it means the engine cannot maintain it's highest target resolution 100% of the time.

It is native 4k where it doesn't drop though lol

If I take a screen pic of a moment it doesn't drop res, it'll be a native 4k res

What you're confused with is it won't be LOCKED native 4k if the res drops

Doesn't help when Sony advertise games that are 1440 or 1800p as dynamic 4k.

Dynamic 4k would need to hit native 4k. Upscaling to 4k from 1440 or 1800p before it hits your television is upscaling.

Remember when MS had 1080p on the box of 360 games, people were up in arms. Under this so called "dynamic 4k" then those 360 games could be called dynamic 1080p. Upscaling from 720 to 1080p is no different to upscaling from 1440p to 2160p.

UHD is the correct term but that's another topic.

Harlequin

Is it possible to set the language to Arabic with English voice titles?

Ancient Egyptians didn't speak Arabic, they spoke Egyptian (which is extinct today, though elements of it have survived in Coptic). And a good portion of the characters in the game would probably be speaking Greek or Latin, anyway.

The game looks ok, nothing special really. I'm getting MGSV vibes from the graphics, and that's not a good thing, that was a multi-platform game plus is ran 60fps on PS4 and looked really good too.
If the story is good and the reviews are good - then buy

Theorry

The game looks ok, nothing special really. I'm getting MGSV vibes from the graphics, and that's not a good thing, that was a multi-platform game plus is ran 60fps on PS4 and looked really good too.

Yet Blim Blim says.

This is without a doubt the most gorgeous Assassin's Creed game to date, bringing Ubisoft's series on par with (or at least very close to) technical references such as Horizon: Zero Dawn, no less. Enjoy!

Putty

MGSV has vastly less detail...like a night and day difference...

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This is without a doubt the most gorgeous Assassin's Creed game to date, bringing Ubisoft's series on par with (or at least very close to) technical references such as Horizon: Zero Dawn, no less. Enjoy!

This is very high praise. Dare I say, I'm actually excited for a new Ass Creed game.

Peroroncino

Yet Blim Blim says.

After spending approximately 15 hours with the game, I agree, graphically it's amazing and it's definitely the best looking AC game. Maybe lighting and some texture work isn't on par with Unity but the overall picture, the vistas, cities, villages, vegetation, sand, dust, smoke etc. how everything perfectly blends together is sure as shit very pleasant to watch, definitely way better looking than what I saw in Unity's Paris.

If it never drops then I'd classify that as a native 4K title.

Dynamic 1080p. Doom drops res in stressful scenes.

Doesn't help when Sony advertise games that are 1440 or 1800p as dynamic 4k.

Dynamic 4k would need to hit native 4k. Upscaling to 4k from 1440 or 1800p before it hits your television is upscaling.

It's clearly false advertisement. I don't know how Sony is getting away with it.

scently

This is not as complicated as some are making it out to be. AC was cb on x1x at e3 and some other convention but the devs have always maintained that it 4k with dynamic scaling. Now the game has launched on PS4Pro and it seems to be using dynamic scaling. I would assume that using cb on PS4Pro would be better as it should be able to get to 1800cb at least. The Pro has extensive hardware support for cb after all. So it stands to reason that the x1x version is also running at dynamic scaling like the Pro, and cb was just used to present a game in development at e3.

Ofcourse its also possible that the Pro also renders with a dynamic cb rendering.

After spending approximately 15 hours with the game, I agree, graphically it's amazing and it's definitely the best looking AC game. Maybe lighting and some texture work isn't on par with Unity but the overall picture, the vistas, cities, villages, vegetation, sand, dust, smoke etc. how everything perfectly blends together is sure as shit very pleasant to watch, definitely way better looking than what I saw in Unity's Paris.

This is a loaded question, but is the game fun? Almost every release I buy the new AC game hoping I can get into it, but it just doesn't click.

Peroroncino

This is a loaded question, but is the game fun? Almost every release I buy the new AC game hoping I can get into it, but it just doesn't click.

I think it's safe to say that this is my favorite AC game since Black Flag, the only previous AC game aside from Black Flag I enjoyed as much as I'm enjoying Origins currently was AC2, so take from that what you will.

Top Bottom