• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Origins gameplay previews

Maan they're really hitting all the right points in this game for me, from art, trailers to the game itself. The fact that it's set in my country just makes me so excited!

Also on a side note, there is a rather strange looking pyramid here called The Meidum Pyramid
Code:
[IMG]http://toursofegypt.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Meidum-Pyramid.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-e6BVJet8liI/VbJ8WTzwOiI/AAAAAAAAAUA/RLF_fK2ZcUU/s1600/1.jpg[/IMG]

And after watching all the gameplay videos, my mind was just god damn blown away when I saw it in the game
Code:
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/feDCSHG.png[/IMG]
Just amazing stuff. Can't wait to explore!

It must be surreal to see these locations around you are transformed into video game perfectly. I hope an AC will set here, too (technically it has, but not in 3D).

SomTervo

Why did you have to remind me about the terrible ending of AC3:

They showed Desmond two alternative futures. One is the current shit that's happening and the other one would've been a post-apocalyptic scenario where nearly everyone would be dead and Desmond would be some kind of Jesus building a new society. This should've been the current timeline.

Skip to 10:48 if you don't remember it: https://youtube.com/watch?v=4hLLDdVgfD0

Goddamn, you're right. I totally forgot about that.

It's thought to be the second pyramid built, right after Djoser's pyramid ( The step pyramid).

This was the very first pyramid:
Code:
[IMG]http://images.memphistours.com/large/1132929976_Cairo-Saqqara-pyramid-and-ruins1.jpg[/IMG]

And it's also in the game:
Code:
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/UqVHvDc.png[/IMG]

We call it the Saqqara Pyramid here, it's actually right next to my house here at Giza, and it's fricking huge.

This is cool as hell. Can't wait for this game - and to one day go to Egypt (my gf is half-Egyptian but estranged from her fam over there)

Just struck me that one of the only ways to make the modern-day AC content compelling, from a gameplay perspective, would be if it was somewhat post-apocalyptic, rather than dystopian.

Indulge me:

A) going back to close combat or clunky weapons makes sense in a post-apocalypse (AC 1-3 seemed pretty near future, and it always felt kinda bland/tame. A post-apoc would give it more drama and edge, but more importantly: you can contrive anything to make the post-apoc fit your narrative, so we would say digitally 'locked' guns in the future are no longer usable after the cataclysm)
B) the decimated population of an apocalypse would make Assassin/Templar battles more personal; the smaller dramatic scale would also fit the higher-stakes narrative. Plus it's harder to "blend" into an apocalypse
C) the sci-fi/modern architecture of AC1-3 wasn't super compelling to explore/clamber around - ruining it via an apocalyptic scenario would make architecture far easier to scale (broken instead of smooth) and far more interesting to explore
D) the plot would still revolve around the race to unlock secrets, but there would actually be secrets to find in the modern day now that everything has been buried. Like we'd have the animus to locate secrets historically but also now-ruined Abstergo buildings to delve into. (Indeed, perhaps the reason for the apocalypse is even tied to the Templars fucking with Precursor technology)

This isn't going to happen though. Just some thoughts I had considering how modern and weirdly edgy and cultist that new screen looks.

Plus, I guess Horizon beat me to the punch on a bunch of these ideas anyway.

Why did you have to remind me about the terrible ending of AC3:

They showed Desmond two alternative futures. One is the current shit that's happening and the other one would've been a post-apocalyptic scenario where nearly everyone would be dead and Desmond would be some kind of Jesus building a new society. This should've been the current timeline.

Skip to 10:48 if you don't remember it: https://youtube.com/watch?v=4hLLDdVgfD0
Yup, they had the perfect setup for the modern a day but blew it in favor of not having to worry about that part of the story which made it horrible in the subsequent versions or just didn't know how to do it without Patrice.

Ahasverus

Yup, they had the perfect setup for the modern a day but blew it in favor of not having to worry about that part of the story which made it horrible in the subsequent versions or just didn't know how to do it without Patrice.
I can't believe nobody working there shared Patrice's vision and stood up saying "Hey, this is getting ridiculous, let's get back on track to where we were heading".

The modern day parts post III are borderline offensive to long time fans.

I can't believe nobody working there shared Patrice's vision and stood up saying "Hey, this is getting ridiculous, let's get back on track to where we were heading".

The modern day parts post III are borderline offensive to long time fans.
Probably afraid of losing their job or made an example of:/

Ahasverus

Probably afraid of losing their job or made an example of:/
They fired Desillets for not being keen on the annualization, not because he was a bad developer or had a bad vision.

In fact, Origins being touted as a "return to form" means they also realize their lastest entries have been whack.

Auctopus

In fact, Origins being touted as a "return to form" means they also realize their lastest entries have been whack.

Where has the development team touted that the game is a "return to form" - the director talks about previous titles and his team's journey in this interview.

Whilst Origins is a particular leap and a small departure from previous AC games, I think the 'return to form' idea is just GAF's hardcore sentiment deciding to bash Ubisoft a little less. Syndicate was one of the best AC games ever and in my opinion, better than the "flawless" ACII. The core team of Origins have been working on it since Black Flag, it's nothing to do with 'realising their latest entries have been whack'. In fact, Origins at this point seems to have just as much in common with Syndicate than Black Flag/II.

Ahasverus

Where has the development team touted that the game is a "return to form" - the director talks about previous titles and his team's journey in this interview.

Whilst Origins is a particular leap and a small departure from previous AC games, I think the 'return to form' idea is just GAF's hardcore sentiment deciding to bash Ubisoft a little less. Syndicate was one of the best AC games ever and in my opinion, better than the "flawless" ACII.
I'm talking about "story" here.

Hey i liked Syndicate, but when you play the first three games you feel they were getting somewhere, like, they were written by really intelligent people who had this grand plan and were exploring those times with care and intellectual curiosity.

AC games after Brohood (With the very exception of the Altair parts in Revelations) are low hanging, lazy "blockbuster" material, with paper thin characters, black and white revenge plots and a copy pasted character for 6 games (With the exception of Connor, who people hate).

Abstergo turned into a videogame company probably makes Desillets roll on his bed every night.

AC Origins is being touted as a game "for long time fans", trying to "give them the answers they were hoping for" and abandoning the collectathons for "lore and world building". They say again and again that long time fans will find solace in it, which is a form of saying "Our lastest games have slapped you on the face if you cared before, please care this time".

However, I think the damage was done with the turning of Juno into a enamoured teenager and the whole Sage nonsense. I'm 100% such simplistic plot line was not what AC was heading to.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

Ahasverus

I was actually OK with the modern story treatment of Syndicate. It was all cutscenes which reduced the super horrible "abstergo office" gameplay and at least it advanced a little compared to the joke that were IV, Rogue and Unity.

Still, it feels like an afterthought and is completely anticlimatic, considering it was the anchor point of the series in its conception. It's not like the past story does not feel like a cartoon either, which means the narrative is has become completely uncompelling.

bear in mind that I'm talking from the POV of someone who is fan since 1, so I'm really invested compared to say, Black Flag fans.

SomTervo

What a complex quagmire this series has slurped itself into. Here's hoping Origins is a nice refresh.

IMO they blew it in favour of trying to be LOST.

Loads of stuff about the modern day narrative and how it was handled – from Assassin's Creed 1's finale which was the first insubstantial nail in the unrequited coffin – reeked of LOST's storytelling approach. That is, endlessly layering mysteries while never (or rarely) providing answers. At least they didn't "end" it with metaphysics.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
From the team POV I'm sure it's true. But Ubisoft has like 30+ studios. As soon as the decision-makers do want the playable modern day segments, then the time and budget issue doesn't exist anymore.
It's more they have a finite budget and finite time, like they said, the more they invest in modern day the more they have to remove from the past sections based on how they make content.

Drewfonse

There really isn't any PS4/Pro footage out there? How bizarre. Maybe I'm missing it, but I searched on youtube without a single match

Top Bottom