• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Origins gameplay previews

Damn, I though they were going the Unity route with the outfits, different pieces of clothing/armor that you can mix and match is better to me than preset outfits.

Stiler

Yeah I thought armor was going to be in individual piece sthat you could mix/match, though I guess doing one piece lets them have more distinctive looks and also sort out the clipping issues and things that can arise.

UrbanRats

I've never played an Assassin's Creed game so I'm hoping that this is the perfect jumping on point. You don't need to have played previous games to understand the plot for this one?

The historical sections are always self contained (well, aside from AC Brotherhood and Revelation, which were direct sequels to AC 2).
the modern part hasn't been progressing the plot for years now, so they are almost forced to soft reboot it, even if they want to reintroduce it with this one.
and Ubisoft isn't so dumb as to ask people to go an play AC3 (the last one with any meaningful modern plot) just so they can understand this one.

I think you're good.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've never played an Assassin's Creed game so I'm hoping that this is the perfect jumping on point. You don't need to have played previous games to understand the plot for this one?

If you're concerned that the game's modern day portion may leave you scratching your head, you can just watch a synopsis video (and this video of Syndicate's cutscenes). There's not as much ground to cover as you might think as the overarching modern day narrative hasn't moved forward much at all since 3.

vivekTO

Night time is still looking way too bright. I mean, I get that they can't make it as dark is it would look in real life but they could make it a good deal darker than it currently is and you'd still be able to see everything well enough.
Right now it just doesn't look like it's night at all.

Yeah, the night time is something like the Sunlight with .5 multiplier with blue filter, They should have gone with diffuse lighting instead of Directional one or atleast have a transition in between them.

B0IKTIm.gif

Going by this gif , its looks like there are no dark nights but just one type of Night lighting,I hope that is not the case. there should be atleast Dawn type of lighting.
The day lighting is on point so there is no problem there, but hopefully this will get addressed.

Rest is looking ace , especially the Draw distances.and thanks for option for turning off the damage points, they look really annoying.
Idk what were they thinking with that pop up animation.

UrbanRats

Yeah, the night time is something like the Sunlight with .5 multiplier with blue filter, They should have gone with diffuse lighting instead of Directional one or atleast have a transition in between them.

This is very common in games unfortunately.
Playing Horizon now, and that game does a similar thing (though Horizon isn't even trying to look realistic, so i guess it's a bit different).

I wish everyone would just have the balls to embrace night and its darkness, like few (non horror) games do.
Dragon's Dogma being one, for example.

vivekTO

This is very common in games unfortunately.
Playing Horizon now, and that game does a similar thing (though Horizon isn't even trying to look realistic, so i guess it's a bit different).

I wish everyone would just have the balls to embrace night and its darkness, like few (non horror) games do.

In recent open world games(that i played or know about) , i must say only MGS5 did the nights better, There is still moonlight but with diffuse lighting and not that prominent shadows.

It's strange because Ghost Recon Wildlands seems to be something of a predecessor to this in terms of draw distance tech and world scope, and that game has one of the more realistic depictions of nighttime I've seen recently, to the point that night and heat vision are invaluable parts of your loadout. Now while I don't expect that level of darkness from Assassin's Creed, the kind of nighttime lighting in Origins does look oddly over-stylized. Looks more like a twilight sky with a bright moon than actual night.

Dark nights in games just means I'm going to jack the brightness way up and make your game look ugly and washed out.

Dark nights are fine for brief moments of tense gameplay, but I"m not going to spend hours in the darkness not being able to see shit. No fun in that.

Harlequin

Dark nights in games just means I'm going to jack the brightness way up and make your game look ugly and washed out.

Dark nights are fine for brief moments of tense gameplay, but I"m not going to spend hours in the darkness not being able to see shit. No fun in that.

Oh come on, there's a middle ground between not being able to see shit and having nights look like daytime. They could make nights a good deal darker than they are in the videos we've seen and you'd still be able to see well.

SomTervo

New video focuses on the country that they built, shows off a bunch of different outfits, the new game structure,
and details about the plot
. Also new feature, the torch is throwable so you can light dark areas before you traverse them, what didn't they think of when making this game

I'm just hoping that this stuff is actually useful in gameplay. Like, that tunnel doesn't look dark at all?

A big problem with titles like AC3 was that you could do about a million extra actions but the core gameplay loop basically didn't demand them whatsoever. It was like oober feature creep. However, this is a trend that's changing in recent years: more and more games forcing you to engage with their worlds in more vital and interesting ways. Hope Origins nails it.

fair enough. i dont think that makes their usage of fake pc footage in trailers any less despicable

Yeah it's definitely bad practice. I only look at trailers and screens in a cursory manner and never follow the discussion around them so I didn't know.

I haven't been following this game at all, only knew it took place in Egypt - the setting being with Caesar and Cleopatra is perfect for me. Gonna look at combat videos, hope it got a serious revamp.

It did. Press and hands-on feedback is incredibly positive.

They said the biggest cities are slightly bigger than the cities in AC4.

That's a perfect size! Not too big and overwhelming, but not small enough that you can see the ends in sight.

Man, horse riding looks absolutely terrible though. Like, dude's upper body is not moving. There's zero sense of fluidity, physicality, or weight transfer. What is even happening there?

Rellik

Man, horse riding looks absolutely terrible though. Like, dude's upper body is not moving. There's zero sense of fluidity, physicality, or weight transfer. What is even happening there?

To be fair, AC always had shit horse riding.

(Doesn't excuse it though)

Oh come on, there's a middle ground between not being able to see shit and having nights look like daytime. They could make nights a good deal darker than they are in the videos we've seen and you'd still be able to see well.

Dragon's Dogma was mentioned and that was very dark.

I'd rather games be more creative with their night time looks like Horizon. That green hue was amazing.

UrbanRats

It's strange because Ghost Recon Wildlands seems to be something of a predecessor to this in terms of draw distance tech and world scope, and that game has one of the more realistic depictions of nighttime I've seen recently, to the point that night and heat vision are invaluable parts of your loadout. Now while I don't expect that level of darkness from Assassin's Creed, the kind of nighttime lighting in Origins does look oddly over-stylized. Looks more like a twilight sky with a bright moon than actual night.

The only game where Day For Night made stylistic sense, to me, was RDR, for obvious reasons.

Both MGSV and GR are still too bright in my opinion (especially in non full moonlighted nights, it's pitch black outside, as the stars do very little, not to mention if it's cloudy) but it's still better than this.
As you said, in GR (and MGSV) you're pushed to use night-vision a lot, which is cool.

UrbanRats

Dragon's Dogma was mentioned and that was very dark.

I'd rather games be more creative with their night time looks like Horizon. That green hue was amazing.

I don't like Horizon's art direction (i mean, when it comes to colors, because some designs are phenomenal) so i can't agree.
I'm a sucker for very natural looking colors.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Still underwhelmed by the visuals. Also dislike 30fps games that don't have full screen motion blur to smooth the 30fps judder. Needs more polish.

I agree that the night time is a little bit too bright, but that won't take my immersion out tbh. Game looks amazing.

Also I thought the night time in FFXV was pretty realistic.

SomTervo

Do we think this will be a collectathon like the other games?

consider these things

-it's ubisoft.
-they've made the world gigantic
-and there is no realistic way to fill that world with worthwhile content.

so yes.

On the plus side, while Ubi worlds still have loads of minor content, they've distinctly moved away from checklist-style collectathon to more engaging Arkham-style collectathon in recent years.

That is, there is a multitude of things to find and pick up, but now they're usually contextualised in tiny little combat/puzzle/challenge scenarios, so now they're actually fun to get. Edit: something else I forgot: in Ubi's recent games collectibles directly tie to character/gameplay progression, with almost no exceptions. So every collectible you go out of your way to find will let you buy/unlock more gear, improve character skills, etc.

At least, that's how they did it in AC Unity (and failed to an extent), AC Syndicate (and succeeded to an extent) and Watch_Dogs 2 (where they completely succeeded - WD2 is an excellent Arkham-style sandbox game). For example, in Watch Dogs 2, to reach collectibles you often have to avoid some enemies, hack something, solve a puzzle, and navigate your remote control gadgets through (sometimes several) puzzley/platformey environments.

It's likely but not guaranteed that Origins will continue in this direction... probably watch a few videos to find out?

I'm just hoping that this stuff is actually useful in gameplay. Like, that tunnel doesn't look dark at all?

This looks dark enough to me.

consider these things

-it's ubisoft.
-they've made the world gigantic
-and there is no realistic way to fill that world with worthwhile content.

so yes.

Also remember that it's an RPG now.

There'll be quest that take you to various places in the game, such as treasure spot or bandits hideout.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
This looks dark enough to me.

Also remember that it's an RPG now.

There'll be quest that take you to various places in the game, such as treasure spot or bandits hideout.

they literally showed us a fetch quest in one gameplay vid :(

Yeah I don't mind collectathon type stuff as long as it's fun to do. Is there going to be secret dungeons and puzzle sections and all that kind of stuff?

SomTervo

they literally showed us a fetch quest in one gameplay vid :(

Huh, that's a little worrying. Although they seem pretty committed to rewarding players with good loot/gear, so hopefully it's not just a fetch quest for a few exp points or moneys.

Yeah I don't mind collectathon type stuff as long as it's fun to do. Is there going to be secret dungeons and puzzle sections and all that kind of stuff?

Yeah. They're apparently pretty damn committed to 'tomb raiding' and adventuring for its own sake. Like the tombs from AC2 or whatever.

You know, if they wanted to do something truly unique and exciting with their side quests, they should have linked a recruit system and the skill tree into them. Example, you find a really skilled warrior who switches between weapon types in battle. Help him out of a bad situation, do a quest for him, recruit him to your cause (to be called upon like your typical assassin recruit), promote him, and then have him teach you that skill to switch between weapons in battle. Ties everything together in a cool way and gives you time to bond with allies.

cackhyena

I know it's small, but what is up with whenever he gets to the top of stairs? He does this little hop up. Just looks so off.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Watched the combat one, and I agree with a lot of the points he made. I don't see this game doing very well with critics.

I think he made some very solid points, but I think it will do quite well with critics. I'm fairly sure they will mark down the combat as a step in the right direction even if not executed as well as others have done it.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Another detail, you slow down and limp when hit with arrows, making it easier for melee enemies to catch up:
3DkpOp2.gif

Watched the combat one, and I agree with a lot of the points he made. I don't see this game doing very well with critics.

Combat indeed doesn't look fluid from the videos, but I have to try it for myself first.

Also it looks to be very very hard, from all the vids I watched, enemies see to kick everyones ass.

Another detail, you slow down and limp when hit with arrows, making it easier for melee enemies to catch up:
3DkpOp2.gif
Stuff like this is going to make approaching combat and enemy forts actually require planning and whatnot. If you can't just rush in and kill everything without any issues

Klocker

With regards to the nighttime yes I hope we can get it a little darker but I doubt it.

there are gamma settings in Assassin's Creed games but each level of gamma change is so large it's ridiculous. if they were to make an incremental gamma slider especially for night that would be much appreciated but I know that's doubtful.

Of course I'm one that appreciates Ghost Recon wildlands night and I downloaded mods for Fallout 4 that made the nights dark as well it is always helpful if you have a flashlight.

would have been a cool feature to add a Gas Lantern to his belt and work the nights to be darker... haha if only

Maybe with HDR enabled night night look better?

golem

On the plus side, while Ubi worlds still have loads of minor content, they've distinctly moved away from checklist-style collectathon to more engaging Arkham-style collectathon in recent years.

Collecting shanties was good fun. Hopefully it is more of that which is what i would expect from the BF team

Dragon's Dogma has the GOAT night time, for sure.

👍

Top Bottom