• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Origins screenshot leaks, new details (AC4 team, Naval combat, more)

Gradly

Like this :D

219572207.jpg

ABC-LIC-HIS37

78e63f5cf8d93f4554d9d9ff5cde6a21.jpg

Aha I'm convinced now :)

I also hope Greece still considered too so we have even more variety

Harlequin

The latest reddit rumor seems plausible, but I only know about the pyramids and some temples in ancient Egypt, I wonder how they are gonna pack the map with architecture and things to scale/climb

Depends on which leak you want to believe. If it's the one that places the game in the first or second century AD, Alexandria will probably be one of the main locations.

Code:
[img]http://www.all3mediainternational.com/Content/Images/Brand/alexandria-1760.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.ancientvine.com/avimage/Alexandria_Egypt.jpg[/img]

[img]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/24/5d/c1/245dc1ceccd6583dd2e35a4fc3723a32.jpg[/img]

[img]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/03/ff/33/03ff3306ba43e65828b4f06b073a384e.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.mardecortesbaja.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/CleopatraAlexandriaBaja.jpg[/img]

[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-vkSUqnWVEjo/UVWKn6RwfeI/AAAAAAAAB_M/D6v20PDNmsw/s1600/agora.jpg[/img]

The main problem with Alexandria would probably be how wide many of its streets were. If they keep it historically accurate, we might have another AC3 situation on our hands where the city layouts didn't lend themselves very well to fluid rooftop traversal.

RocknRola

Actually very excited for this litle bit of info! Never knew why they took it off afterwards.

• You can use the hidden blade in combat like AC1

Really liking the sound of all these leaks and I can't wait to see a proper flush and living Egypt instead of the usual "the awesome stuff is already dead/destroyed/abandoned for thousands of years". That alone will be a massive breath of fresh air IMO!

Make it work Ubi :)

b0uncyfr0

Im optimistic, with very release - its gotten shittier and shittier. Its like they never found a way to mash up the best of each game into one massive game.

Peroroncino

Reason why AC doesn't make its way to Japan is because the higher ups don't see it being successful. They made China for Chronicles to "please the fans". Whoop-de-doo.

Oh come on... :/

Japan setting would make me buy an AC game without a moment of hesitation.

Aha I'm convinced now :)

I also hope Greece still considered too so we have even more variety

Greece is definitely happening. That was even mentioned in the original Kotaku leak. There's a good chance it won't be this year though, but in a direct sequel to this year's game and story. Definitely no need to worry about architecture though! Ancient civilizations were still insanely advanced with architecture. It's a common misconception though, thinking of small towns with short buildings.

Yeah it's definitely an odd stance to take. There's an amazing orient trilogy just waiting to happen. I assume it's their emergency panic button for the series.

After seeing this fan art for an AC game set in China there's nothing I want more...

Warablo

Honestly this one year break helps with hype more than anything else. We just assume its going to be awesome.

I hope it is

Excited to see they are taking a lot of gear / customisation from unity , still one of my fav assassin games . Still one of the best looking as well.

Those comments about Japan are a goddamned huge shame. Ever since the first AC I've been hoping and expecting for one to be set in Japan.

Man :(

Are we expecting a reveal this week or is this probably it and time to wait for E3?

BlizzKrut

Banned
Those comments about Japan are a goddamned huge shame. Ever since the first AC I've been hoping and expecting for one to be set in Japan.

Man :(

Are we expecting a reveal this week or is this probably it and time to wait for E3?

If you want to believe the rumours, this Friday.

Either way, past AC's have been teased before E3, even fully revealed, like Syndicate.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Please, please, please get rid of the icons telling me what to do and where to do it, they kill any sense of exploration. At the very least, allow me to turn them off if I choose.

13ruce

Banned
Greece is cut? Huge bummer..... Still will get the game because of tombs being back there surely will be pyramid tombs right!?

And ubi finally fixed the bad modern story after desmond died all of the story after thst was shit so far.

XAL

Depends on which leak you want to believe. If it's the one that places the game in the first or second century AD, Alexandria will probably be one of the main locations.

The main problem with Alexandria would probably be how wide many of its streets were. If they keep it historically accurate, we might have another AC3 situation on our hands where the city layouts didn't lend themselves very well to fluid rooftop traversal.

Would only be interesting if they hugely revamped crowd traversal and pursuit in a big way...

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Maybe I am missing something but I can't imagine doing Egypt without doing tombs. The afterlife set up was something that the Egyptians spent a lot of time in preparation for. I can almost feel some AC2 like stuff going through my head after an assasination where your character has a conversation with the target as they pass on. I loved that.

Edit: also, depending on the set up, that location can have a TON of religious stuff going on. Rome, Egypt, Israel... etc.

novenD

A Blockbuster game set in Ancient Egypt has been a dream of mine for years, so naturally I'm super excited.

I'm also looking forward to the internet reactions if Ubisoft goes for a realistic portrayal of Egyptian architecture; the vibrant colors will make some people flip out.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'd forgotten all about tombs. I'd love to see them return provided they're similar to the assassin tombs of 2/Romulus lairs of Brotherhood.

Coffinhal

I didn't understand that "Will not return to annualization instead will have the major expansions. "
What does it mean ?

https://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/6brys5/origins_daily_leak_counter/

Annnnnnd another one.

Jesper Kyd not returning would be the worst news for me.

Austin Wintory did a wonderful job with AC Syndicate though and he's bad (not as lead composer but still)

Otherwise I like everything I read so far if it's true (seems plausible but who knows)
I'd like more details of the narrative/missions structure and how the open world really works

Greece is cut? Huge bummer..... Still will get the game because of tombs being back there surely will be pyramid tombs right!?

And ubi finally fixed the bad modern story after desmond died all of the story after thst was shit so far.

If they want to do an "Empire" trilogy that means we could get Greece next time and then maybe Italy/Turkey/Spain ? idk

JaseC

I didn't understand that "Will not return to annualization instead will have the major expansions. "
What does it mean ?

I'm guessing he's saying that the two other "games" in the trilogy will be DLC/expandalones (think Freedom Cry but presumably somewhat larger in scope) rather than full-price retail releases that are separated by 12 months a la the Ezio games.

Squire

Banned
What does it mean ?

Significant DLC after launch. If The Witcher 3 was as big an influence on this game as rumored we're probably talking about a literal expansion pack akin to the ones that game got.

Coffinhal

I'm guessing the two other "games" in the trilogy will be DLC/expandalones (think Freedom Cry but presumably somewhat larger in scope) rather than full-price retail releases that are separated by 12 months a la the Ezio games.

Significant DLC after launch. If The Witcher 3 was as big an influence on this game as rumored we're probably talking about a literal expansion pack akin to the ones that game got.

Makes sense, thanks.

So that would mean a new release cycle and a new business cycle
Fall 2017 main game
Spring 2018 first big expansion
Fall 2018 second big expansion
Fall 2019 next main game

Pretty much what TW3 did indeed (but idk if the two expansions were equal for TW3)

It would work ok I guess if they put enough manpower behind it, but that means we wouldn't get full scope sequels with several big cities and 30 hours of a linear mainquest

What do you mean? You say AC Syndicate's OST was wonderful but Wintory is bad?

He's made some fantastic OSTs, particularly Journey and Abzu.

Oh no I love his work too! I meant "he's back" (in the latest reddit rumor)

Bahorel

If they want to do an "Empire" trilogy that means we could get Greece next time and then maybe Italy/Turkey/Spain ? idk

I immediately thought the Roman Empire which could share some links with Ezios story. Imagining escaping a gladiator pit and assassinating Ceasar

Eylos

Banned
Greece is definitely happening. That was even mentioned in the original Kotaku leak. There's a good chance it won't be this year though, but in a direct sequel to this year's game and story. Definitely no need to worry about architecture though! Ancient civilizations were still insanely advanced with architecture. It's a common misconception though, thinking of small towns with short buildings.

Yeah it's definitely an odd stance to take. There's an amazing orient trilogy just waiting to happen. I assume it's their emergency panic button for the series.

After seeing this fan art for an AC game set in China there's nothing I want more...

This made me Sad :(

And its Very easy to do a story with Japan and China in one game :(

I immediately thought the Roman Empire which could share some links with Ezios story. Imagining escaping a gladiator pit and assassinating Ceasar

They'd be dumb not to do that. Start with The War of Spartacus, and move through Caesars reign and assassination. The game writes itself.

JaseC

Makes sense, thanks.

So that would mean a new release cycle and a new business cycle
Fall 2017 main game
Spring 2018 first big expansion
Fall 2018 second big expansion
Fall 2019 next main game

Pretty much what TW3 did indeed (but idk if the two expansions were equal for TW3)

Blood & Wine is much larger than Hearts of Stone. The latter just expands an existing sub-region (Velen) whereas the former is set in a completely new region (Toussaint). Here's a before and after of Velen:

And here's Toussaint (the image is from a guide, so ignore the red circles):

The "play as Arno" bit reeks of bullshit to me. I'm fairly certain they will veer as far from the Unity fiasco as possible.

I'm not shitting on the game - I actually liked it. Only referring to the release uproar, which they have stated on multiple occasions they want to make up for. They're not putting Arno in the game.

AC1 was also largely shit but it didn't stop Ubisoft from putting Altair references and gear in all the games. I think they'll try to go back and "fix" Arno's stuff.

I like Jesper Kyd as much as the next person but Brian Tyler's AC4 soundtrack was very good. And Wintory is fantastic in general. OST is in good hands if they're involved.
Gotta admit that AC4 had the best score that was not composed by jesper kyd. It doesn't come close to what Kyd created for the series though.

Austin Wintory did a wonderful job with AC Syndicate though and he's bad (not as lead composer but still)

I love Austin wintory, his work on Journey was phenomenal, but I hated the soundtrack of Syndicate, didn't feel like it suited AC at all. Also gotta say that I'm always biased towards Jesper LOL.

On topic tho, everything that I'm seeing about this game sounds really promising and as an Egyptian, I can't wait to see what they're gonna do with this one.

I think the concern here is that unlike some of the other periods that were chosen for the AC games, there are a ton of Historical/Feudal Japan representation in games already. It's a bit of a known quality, so it's going to be a bit harder to make an AC game with a Japanese setting stand out. Also goes against their stated direction for heading into periods with less historical accuracy for the narrative and design freedom.

Top Bottom