• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Origins screenshot leaks, new details (AC4 team, Naval combat, more)

Nauren

Ancient Egypt has far more sources that are better than the bible. And even though some slaves were probably around they were not commonly used.

Using the bible slave narrative immediately puts an incredibly western spin on a very interesting civilization.

Instead of using the setting to make an original story or delve further into ancient egypt society it uses a Western tale that has been used in countless media.

Exactly this.

Auctopus

That part of the leak where Ubisoft higher ups say, that assassins Creed Japan Will not happen because there's no demand, WTF?

You misread quite a bit. There's a difference between companies seeing demand and a game being successful.

See: Mirrors Edge: Catalyst

Andrew J.

Ancient Egypt has far more sources that are better than the bible. And even though some slaves were probably around they were not commonly used.

Using the bible slave narrative immediately puts an incredibly western spin on a very interesting civilization.

Instead of using the setting to make an original story or delve further into ancient egypt society it uses a Western tale that has been used in countless media.

You're right, but I don't have enough faith in Ubisoft to believe they'll do anything too unconventional here. I'll be surprised-pleasantly, mind you!-if it's anything besides Moses and Ramses or Mark Antony and Cleopatra.

CrazyDude

You misread quite a bit. There's a difference between companies seeing demand and a game being successful.

Mirror Edge wasn't a successful series to begin with, it's not the same thing as a setting. I fail to see how Assassins Creed in Japan would not be successful.

Eylos

Banned

Well i think If theres demand and its not sucessful, then the problem can be only from the Company. Ex: the product is bad, bad marketing, overpriced, bad distribution etc.

Then maybe they are worried they cant make a good job with assassins Creed Japan.

Flipyap

The new trend in Ubigames is having a drone/eagle to use to scout overhead. It is in FC: Primal. Watch Dogs 2, and GR:Wildlands.
Drones make sense, but holy fuck, is controlling a bird in a "realistic" setting an awful idea. It might be the single dumbest way of "modernizing" gameplay. Combined with the mess of HUD junk and minimap markers, it entirely killed my interest in Far Cry Primal.

I honestly really want to see an assassin recruit/brotherhood system with a ton of depth. I want to play as a mentor who is in charge of training a new breed of Assassins with tons of customization options in look, moveset, and gear used.

Stiler

Why does Ubisoft insist on:

1. Putting modern day/sci fi stuff in]
2. Doing the above and IGNORING Desmond's story and where AC III left off? I mean it's a huge gamechanger and AC Unity/4 basically ignore it all.

It's like they wrote themselves into a wall and instead of taking the "leap" that the ending of AC3 sets up they just went "nah, lets just ignore that and make more of the same."

Does anyone even enjoy the modern setting gameplay? Everyone that has played the AC games that I know almost always say they wish it'd stay in the past setting and leave out the modern/sci fi aspect..

I for one think a futurstic AC would work if they follow through on AC3's ending and what it sets up.

Have kind of a Blade Runner'ish aesthetic and it'd allow Ubisoft's designers to go wild with the world instead of being constrained based on history.

i hope one day they make a full assassins creed game set in asia (no don't point to those 2.5d games, legit russia, india and china are the most interesting settings for a full AC game and they just shove them in a side game ugh)

Another day, another Empire/Origins leak. I'm not sure if I believe this "leak" to be honest.

https://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/6bajht/new_4chan_leak_about_ac_origins/

As always, take it with huge grains of salt

Reason why AC doesn't make its way to Japan is because the higher ups don't see it being successful. They made China for Chronicles to "please the fans". Whoop-de-doo.

okay if this is true, i'm extremely disappointed

What is the deal with the Ubisoft E3 plans anyway? They are typically the first to announce. Now, we are less than 30 days away and they've said nothing. Not even a date or time or location? Something is off...

If they got new big games like this to show, surely they want to drum up hype by at least confirming they'll even have a press conference at all this year

Eylos

Banned
What is the deal with the Ubisoft E3 plans anyway? They are typically the first to announce. Now, we are less than 30 days away and they've said nothing. Not even a date or time or location? Something is off...

If they got new big games like this to show, surely they want to drum up hype by at least confirming they'll even have a press conference at all this year
Afaik i readed somewhere in gaf that ubisoft will show assassins in the microsoft conference

Some people said there is going to be a reveal this month, I guess something little to create hype.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I for one think a futurstic AC would work if they follow through on AC3's ending and what it sets up.

I don't see that happening as the historical tourism component of AssCreed is its big drawcard, especially as no other publisher is releasing AAA action-adventure games deeply rooted in history. Similarly, I feel that the success of Watch Dogs was the death knell for an AssCreed set entirely in the present day.

Another day, another Empire/Origins leak. I'm not sure if I believe this "leak" to be honest.

https://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/6bajht/new_4chan_leak_about_ac_origins/

As always, take it with huge grains of salt

You know what, this leak sounds pretty promising even if not revolutionary to the AssCreed formula because truth is, I largely enjoy that gameplay design to an extent, but it's just got way too stale, kinda like Far Cry.

A major enhancement to all mechanics from towers, to fighting, free running and a much more cohesive and compelling story has me intrigued enough (helps I skipped Syndicate so fatigue is reduced).

Also nice to see the rumour details Ubi taking the modern day timeline seriously again.
They've really butchered that aspect the last few games and I like the over arching narrative personally (know 99% of the world hates it lol)

If they completely get rid of all the shitty side-stuff from the previous games, I'm definitely interested.

I'll tell you what, I'm not up for this ridiculous shit again:

u5.jpg

Mett

I like what I'm hearing, I'm ready for more Assassin's Creed(Who am I kidding? I still have the last few unplayed and in my backlog but the series always excites me!)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Assassins Creed should just get rid of the modern day shit.

Yeah, I'm indifferent towards the overarching modern day narrative and would like to see a game set entirely in the past with a diegetic UI. The player character carries a map that is initially a rather vague outline of the game world but filled in with finer details when "syncing" with viewpoints, ammo/item count is discerned by looking at the character model, etc.

Bittercup

The first leak with female and male protagonist got me excited. Disappointing new leak.
Rest sounds fine. Nothing that particularly stands out.
Glad to hear modern time is coming back. I really liked it in the earlier games.

So many damn competing leaks, I dont know what to take with grains of salt and what to be hopeful for. Is the main character named Balek (like Bellic form Unity?) or Shed? Is the modern protagonist some new dude or Charlotte (Shes basically the female Desmond so it would make a lot more sense)?

Ubi should say the hell with it and shadow drop the trailer tomorrow, then ride the hype train till E3 and just vomit gameplay everywhere.

I'd say modern day is fine and can be pretty interesting, but the whole alien civilization shit has to go.

They're not aliens though, the "Isu" as they are called were just the first civilization, just basically very advanced humans who made other humans as a workforce, then it all blew up in their face through war and the solar flare near extinction like event.

Some lore shit about them http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Isu

Vintage

They're not aliens though, the "Isu" as they are called were just the first civilization, just basically very advanced humans who made other humans as a workforce, then it all blew up in their face through war and the solar flare near extinction like event.

Some lore shit about them http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Isu

Yeah, I know, I meant "different, more advanced civilization than ours", which is basically the same as what we consider aliens.

As much as I tried getting into this story arc it always felt unnecessary, cliched, and taking itself too serious. I'd much rather have all the pieces of Eden artifacts to stay more mysterious, unexplained than this forcibly shoved explanation. It's not particularly well written and doesn't feel like if fits anywhere in Templars vs Assassins war.

BlizzKrut

Banned
There's been another "leak" (take it with a grain of salt obviously) from 4Chan, here are the bullet points:

The previous leaker sources were partially off. Seems like he got info on a rift, not main game.

• Second Screenshot from build for E3. You do kill the crocodile, but before meeting Shadya, and it’s an animal. You then meet Shadya and are attacked by Roman Guards, kill them, and end with an assassination of a General (like the SoM system).
  • Towers are in the game, but not in some rifts. You use the eagle when reaching the top instead of eagle vision.
  • Modern day assassin is actually Charlotte. You’re working to find the ankh.
  • Rifts include Cairo 1799 during Napoleon’s Invasion (Play as Arno), Amunet Assassinating Cleopatra in Alexandria 30 BCE, and brief segments of the “exodus” (this has a massive twist).
  • Small amount of Demotic and Coptic is spoken, but largely English, but with accents proper accents.
  • Actual setting is late first century, early second century AD.
  • Most of the boat stuff is on the nile. You can go into the mediterranean a bit, but not far. Greece was cut from this game.
  • Name of primary protagonist is Balek.
  • Tombs are back
  • You can use the hidden blade in combat like AC1
  • Naval combat insofar as shooting enemies with Arrows on boats
  • You can steel boats, upgraded boats work like carriages in Syndicate

I find it mostly believable apart from a few things, also, the "leaker" says that the game "will" get revealed on the 19th (this Friday) and be released on the 31st of October.

There's been another "leak" (take it with a grain of salt obviously) from 4Chan, here are the bullet points:

[/LIST]

I find it mostly believable apart from a few things, also, the "leaker" says that the game "will" get revealed on the 19th (this Friday) and be released on the 31st of October.

The "play as Arno" bit reeks of bullshit to me. I'm fairly certain they will veer as far from the Unity fiasco as possible.

I'm not shitting on the game - I actually liked it. Only referring to the release uproar, which they have stated on multiple occasions they want to make up for. They're not putting Arno in the game.

Given last year's AC break, I'm cautiously optimistic about this game. I'm also rooting for it, because I really want a new great Assassin's Creed game, like it was before Ubisoft milked it to death. Hopefully they weren't afraid to innovate, would be nice to see some changes in mechanics and gameplay.
If there's indeed a bow in this game, there better be a manual aiming system.

Gradly

The latest reddit rumor seems plausible, but I only know about the pyramids and some temples in ancient Egypt, I wonder how they are gonna pack the map with architecture and things to scale/climb

Top Bottom