• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Origins screenshot leaks, new details (AC4 team, Naval combat, more)

I guess it's good to know I'm not alone, but god, I'm tired of these games retreading Black Flag (yeah, I know, it was expanded upon from 3 and reiterated in Rogue, but still). If it turns out more like Rogue, then maybe, but I could seriously do without the naval stuff.

Also to all fellow modern-day likers - apparently they're tossing all of that stuff to be finished off in some comics? Feel like I read that a while ago. Definitely a shame, given the ending of Syndicate.

If the game really goes to Greece, then I'm pretty interested. Knowing me, I'll wind up preordering it a week before release anyway, just like the rest.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Egyptian_navy#Famous_Naval_Battles

No idea how they'd play out in this game, just circle round having your men shoot arrows?
Arrows? Ancient naval battles ain't got time for arrows
ships-300-rise.jpg
2dda2b51da4f4dded8f3291d36031e6f.jpg

Ascenion

Must we have two protagonists again? They didn't execute it well with Syndicate, Evie could've been removed and the game would be basically the same. I'm hoping they approach it better this time but I'd rather they focus on one character and get that right.

True Fire

Did any of you actually read past the title? It's an open world game, Skyrim-style. It's not a naval game, it just features naval combat. Which makes sense if Ancient Greece is a part of the map.

Floody

Like others, I liked Empire more. Wonder does it mean the game is gonna be an origin story for the Assassin's? Or are they just planning this to be a new trilogy?
I'll be super happy with an even more improved naval combat though, excited for that if true.

Hupsel

Now they will milk the fuck out of that naval combat... cmon guys Black Flag wasn´t that good. You were still doing the same AC stuff over and over :I

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Must we have two protagonists again? They didn't execute it well with Syndicate, Evie could've been removed and the game would be basically the same. I'm hoping they approach it better this time but I'd rather they focus on one character and get that right.

Yes we do, considering it's probably the only way to get playable women in AssCreed anymore. Plus, Evie was much better than bland ass Jacob.

Mortemis

Banned
Greek_Trireme.png

Trireme battles would be fun.

They were literally built to just ram into other ships and board them. An assassin amongst that would be perfect.

This is what I first thought of. If it's anything like that, sign me the fuck up.

Btw they should stick with Empire. Origins sounds so boring.

Now they will milk the fuck out of that naval combat... cmon guys Black Flag wasn´t that good. You were still doing the same AC stuff over and over :I

It was great. Just not as great as it would've been if it were a full pirate game. That's why Ubisoft needs to spin the naval combat off into one.

Vuapol

Lines up pretty well with that /v/ 4chan leak early last year actually. Most notable differences I can recall is that the 4chan guy said the Greece stuff was cut, while this report says it's in, and while this report says boats and naval combat is back the 4chan guy said boats were merely for transportation. Interesting.

Hoping that this is reputable, as I haven't played an AC since Black Flag and an navigable open-world Ancient Mediterranean setting would get me back on board.

Hilarion

When in Ancient Egypt? That's a gigantic timeframe. If they raise the possibility of going to Greece, it's either in Persian or Ptolemaic Egypt (possibly Babylonian or really late Old Kingdom, but there wouldn't be anything recognizable or iconic in 7th/6th century BCE Greece), so either way it would be well after Egypt is governed by Egyptians.

est1992

Don't know why they chose to switch to Origins instead of Empire, that subtitle is infinitely better.

Also, don't really understand how they plan on having Naval battles when mostly in Ancient Egypt they were built as battering rams and used to board other ships. If that's the case, then dope. It completely fits with the Assassin's premise. If not, then they're very inaccurate and should be changed.

In my opinion though, I'd trade the ships and Mediterranean for a fully fleshed out Egypt with the Nile River and everything.

EDIT: And another thing, when are they gonna give us ninjas? Not like samurais and shit, but fully-fledged, Jet Li inspired ninjas? I'm tired of the same old mechanics. Throw in some fast-paced ninja parkour and Kung Fu and the franchise is reinvigorated.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I really didn't enjoy Black Flag because of the naval combat, my ship was always undergeared because I lacked currency due to the fact I skip all the repetitive filler content that Ubisoft fills their games with. I've always felt Assassin's Creed would be a much better series if they did away with the IRL elements and just focus on making time period games where you actually are the character. I also feel they could remove the bulk of the filler content, I've not played a single AC game that couldn't have been 5+ hours shorter and been better for it.

dreamfall

This sounds like a good time - excited to see where the franchise is headed. I've loved a lot of of each title, and if they can build on focusing on exploration without microtranscations, it'd be really awesome. I hope they include some fun platforming combat-free puzzles. I also hope multiplayer returns in some competitive form.

Boats > assassins

Black Flag showed us the light

Assassins on Boats > Boats > Assassins

The story is rumoured to revolve around the original assassin’s guild

So they have no intention of finishing current day story. I am done with this franchise. They can milk it all they want. It bothered me how they ended AC3 now I see they want to keep the cow going. They never should have introduced, the present day/future storyline in the first place.

I know I'm in the minority, but I never did like naval combat, found it to be incredibly tedious after the first couple of times doing it. Hopefully if these rumours are true then the naval combat is an optional extra rather than an integral part of the story

kpaadet

Instead of talking about how big the game is, I wished he talked about how much more fun they made the combat and climbing. Like the size of the previous games wasn't the problem at least not to me.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Instead of talking about how big the game is, I wished he talked about how much more fun they made the combat and climbing. Ohh well, not long to E3.

The games are already too long IMO, by the time I finish them I really feel like they've dragged on for hours longer than they needed to, I'd rather they go from 20+ hours of OK gameplay to 10 hours of great gameplay.

Auctopus

I'm definitely down for another male/female set of protagonists, as long as the male character is a little more bearable.

Toni

As long as the main characters aren't as awful and unlikable as the ones in Syndicate, I'm interested.

Evie was a likable female lead. And while Jacob didn't hold a candle to Edward or Ezio, I thought he was an improvement in personality compared to Arno.

Top Bottom