• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Origins screenshot leaks, new details (AC4 team, Naval combat, more)

Inorganic

They should call it Assassin's Creed V, and pretend everything after AC4 BF were spin off games (since they had practically no modern day story arc connected to Desmond). This is ofcourse contingent upon ACV having a solid modern day story like the Ezio games.

Ubisoft please. Just make a Assassins Creed game set in Persia. The Templers are after the Sands of Time. And you play the Prince who was removed from power once Templers took over. Call it Assassins Creed: The Prince of Persia.

Ding. Ding.

I love the fact that some want the modern/present day gone. It's simply not gonna happen. It gives me great satisfaction you want it gone knowing that it just won't happen. It makes AC well .... AC. You can't take away the fucking foundation. About a month ago, Aymar Azaizia, head of AC content did a AMA on reddit and said this about it all

"Present day is an important piece of AC identity IMHO, and that's why we pushed so much to have a lot Present in transmedia at large (comics, novels, movie...)

.In the game, it is hard to achieve what we would all like to see, but our team are well aware about the importance of it, so if we use modern setting, we will have to nail it, we agree on that ;)"

Someone also asked him a question about a return of a modern day protagonist and a strong modern day story and he simply replied with a smiley face. If that isn't proof that modern day will be in, then I don't know what is.

Can't wait, really like that this one has had a bit more time to be worked on.

Also love more exploration, favorite aspect of these games.

Arttemis

Linking a Wikipedia page saying that it existed doesn't make it an interesting gameplay concept.

Similar to how people were linked to Wikipedia pages when they feared BF1 combat might become shallow and repetitive.
To be fair, the battles in BF1 don't remotely accurately represent what warfare looked like. Not even WW2 had that kind of abundance in automatic weapons.

I think arrow-based and ramming naval fights can be accurate and incredible enjoyable, though.

Lucreto

I was expecting a later time period like Cleopatra era.

I am unsure about navel combat. I won't get the joy of broadsiding a ship with cannon fire. Ramming seems meh to me.

jdstorm

Banned
Present day (despite being trash after they killed Desmond and Lucy) is a core part of this series identity. However its a massive drag to play. Its probably best relegated to transmedia like comics and webseries.

All the games really need is modern day cutscenes at the begining and end to bookmark the game and contextualise the transmedia narative for those that enjoy it.

With all due respect, ever looked at where Egypt is on a map?

... I'm not an idiot, I meant it in a sense of fun. Will naval combat be quite slow? I know the Egyptians had quite good military equipment back then, but I don't know about them having artillery or heavy canons.

Mifec

Present day (despite being trash after they killed Desmond and Lucy) is a core part of this series identity. However its a massive drag to play. Its probably best relegated to transmedia like comics and webseries.

All the games really need is modern day cutscenes at the begining and end to bookmark the game and contextualise the transmedia narative for those that enjoy it.

It was trash while desmond and lucy were a thing too. Was kinda interesting in 1 and 2 bit meh after.

Dinda

If there really are 2 protagonists i hope we can choose as which we play for the whole game (with very little or no switching)
I would have loved Syndicate way more if i could have just always played as Evie, who was great.

SliChillax

I hated naval combat. It's slow and it takes forever to travel the map. If I had to do it less often I wouldn't mind.

Harlequin

Any notable naval battles in that time period we know of? I do know there were plenty of cool ship types.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Egyptian_navy#Famous_Naval_Battles

No idea how they'd play out in this game, just circle round having your men shoot arrows?

If it's set during Cleopatra VII's time, there's also the battle of Actium in which she and Mark Antony were defeated by Octavian.

How would naval combat work in ancient Egypt?

Well, ships ramming each other was a thing (they had like these metal ram things on their bows to pierce open another ship's hull). (Not sure when exactly that started being a thing, though. I only remember for sure that they were used in the Hellenistic era.) And, of course, getting close enough to enemy ships to board them. Then there's archers, I guess... EDIT: Oh and didn't the Romans have those giant crossbow-like things? Ah, looked it up! Scorpios. I mean, I could see Egyptian ships maybe using those in the late Hellenistic era but definitely not if it's set before then.

Alienfan

I feel like I'm the only one that likes the present day stuff? There's a lot of potential there, they just didn't come close to delivering in AC3, but that doesn't mean the solution is to cut it out entirely

Naval combat means the origins of the Assassin's isn't probably set like in the year 1000 or before right? lol

What year do we think/know the Assassin's were made?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Ship combat/sailing and Greece are the only things that will get me interested in this game. Egypt is a huge turn off for me as a setting.

Harlequin

I feel like I'm the only one that likes the present day stuff? There's a lot of potential there, they just didn't come close to delivering in AC3, but that doesn't mean the solution is to cut it out entirely

I loved the modern-day stuff in 1, 2 and Brotherhood. From Revelations onwards those sections started to become worse and worse but that doesn't mean that the concept is bad. They just need to go back and execute it well again.

Ship combat/sailing and Greece are the only things that will get me interested in this game. Egypt is a huge turn off for me as a setting.

If Alexandria is one of the game's main locations, it'll actually be more Greek than Egyptian.

requiem02

Banned
... I'm not an idiot, I meant it in a sense of fun. Will naval combat be quite slow? I know the Egyptians had quite good military equipment back then, but I don't know about them having artillery or heavy canons.
Sorry man, completely misread that post. Guessing it would involve ship ramming, shooting fire arrows etc.

Ascenion

Yes we do, considering it's probably the only way to get playable women in AssCreed anymore. Plus, Evie was much better than bland ass Jacob.

I never said Evie was bad, I just said Evie was unnecessary and not critical to the story. She literally was just Jacob's babysitter and her arc with Lucy Thorne which was better than Starrick and Jacob ended by like the 5th memory if not sooner. So again if that is how they do two protagonists I'd rather they put all that effort in to making one good one instead of two half assed ones. And give Ubi credit, they've made a lot of diverse protagonists.

Slashlen

The fact that one of the sources in the article mentions Skyrim, and that it's 2 protags again doesn't really fill me with hope. We're probably 1-2 games from just having a character creator and a historical sandbox with no real plot. I imagine some will like that, but I'm out if that's where this is going.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
gaf always seems to say evie was better than jacob so plainly like its fact when evie was incredibly dull and had zero development throughout the campaign

jacob's storyline with roth was better than evie's entire nonexistent arc. even his stuff with starrick showed how he grew as a character where as evie stayed the exact same.

Steiner

Banned
This does sound like it fits with the structure Ubisoft was implying when talking about their future open world games, but I have no idea who WWG is, especially in terms of their rumor record.

WWG is still very new (less than a year old) but also growing very rapidly.

You'll be hearing from us much more in the coming months and years -- trust me on that one. I didn't write the article, but I did help facilitate Liam coming to do some work for us. I believe he's working on something else Ubi-related for us that you may want to check back for in the near future.

Off-topic: I'll be interviewing Patricia Summersett (Princess Zelda) next week, so I'll be sure to drop that here if she shares any new info. I'll see what she's willing to share about Zelda's role in the second DLC release coming later this year for sure.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Can't wait for the reveal this month if rumors are true, I hope is not a CG trailer, just a small gameplay sneak peak.

No way they'll do CG anymore.
It would kill the franchise. They have to prove this game is legit immediately or it's DOA as a franchise.

Harlequin

No way they'll do CG anymore.
It would kill the franchise. They have to prove this game is legit immediately or it's DOA as a franchise.

I could see them release a CG trailer alongside some gameplay footage. Pretty sure that they've done that before for AC games. (Like, IIRC, one E3 they had a CG trailer for ACII at their conference and some gameplay footage of it at Sony's or sth like that.)

I could see them release a CG trailer alongside some gameplay footage. Pretty sure that they've done that before for AC games. (Like, IIRC, one E3 they had a CG trailer for ACII at their conference and some gameplay footage of it at Sony's or sth like that.)

They changed their marketing approach with Syndicate but because this is a new AC, new in many things, I'm going to guess they will save the gameplay for E3. We will see, a live stream or video with some of the key members talking about the game and a small sneak peak will do it for me

ReaperXL7

Guess I shouldn't be, but I'm kind of surprised to see so many shitting on the navel combat and BF in general. Black Flag was my favorite Assassins creed game, it was definitely the most fun to play as a whole package.

Also kind of funny that for a place that cries out for a game set in Egypt as often as I've seen here, so few seem to know much about its actual history.

MC choice is cool, though I'd personally rather just have a character creator.

all i interpret from that is more collectathonning and even less narrative. no thx ubi

Pretty much my fear. If they say it's like Skyrim, they need to similarly fill it with tons of interesting side quests and places to explore. Not just make the map the size of Skyrim, fill it with things to collect, and reduce emphasis on story.

Guess I shouldn't be, but I'm kind of surprised to see so many shitting on the navel combat and BF in general. Black Flag was my favorite Assassins creed game, it was definitely the most fun to play as a whole package.

Also kind of funny that for a place that cries out for a game set in Egypt as often as I've seen here, so few seem to know much about its actual history.

MC choice is cool, though I'd personally rather just have a character creator.

Its kinda traditional that the people dismayed by a feature are more likely to respond than the ones who enjoy it. Just internet logic by this point. On a side note the naval combat would work completely differently than what it was in Black Flag, since there's no cannons, motors, barrels of gas etc.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Very nice. Loved the naval combat in BF and Rogue. Can't wait for E3!!!

Sounds interesting. Would like to get hype, but me and Ubisoft don't have the best of relationships nowadays. We had something years ago, but now it's just the occasional booty call.

Top Bottom